Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The pro move is to perforate them and rip them off as needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Not totally worthless, Dave Barry clawed a few yuks out of the concept.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

there are five notes. how many do you see?
There are four notes!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

In one of the jars, a mixture of alunite and potassium nitrate was found. The mixture was then thought to be a "mixture of immortality" mentioned in ancient Chinese texts. Obviously, this does not appear to have succeeded.[7]

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I never would have connected the dots on Albuquerque being a shaggy dog story. Thanks, wikipedia!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Rabburrito.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It was the worst thing I have seen from wikipedia, just not the 'haha' sort of worst.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Note the species of locust in that swarm is now completwly extinct.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Despite the fact that the film employed the use of numerous extensive special effects, it failed to garner any award nominations from mainstream motion picture organizations for its production merits.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The potential sequel reentered development as Spy Jam and was to star Jackie Chan in a different script.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The Albuquerque Americana (music) band, Mineral Hill, placed the song "52 Blue" (inflected with a haunting Bossa nova rhythm) on its album "Bulldogs and Barnacles" including these lyrics:

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

She is a large whale
Saltwater Clydesdale
The stuff of folktales,
but this is true ...
She’s called the 52 hertz whale
because of her off-key song
The other whales don’t get her
She’ll never belong
[24]

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

They decided bulbasaur didn't deserve his own wikipedia article but this guy did.
Great job, Wikipedia.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Antivehicular posted:

"why, yes, my username for our serious online encyclopedia project is Xavius the Satyr Lord"
"Look, you know how parents who are really 'in' to fantasy books name all their kids arwyn and corwin? Well, my parents like archiveofourown..."

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I grew up watching VHSes of Rocky and Bullwinkle in the 90s, and found the concept of a Bullwinkle's arcade.......confusing. It just didn't feel like a good match for a dialogue-driven show with super minimal visuals.

I see it closed 12 years ago here so that tracks.

Then again I love that Gumby has his own chain of greasy college pizza restaurants.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

In Spain, sources from the period explicitly linked the Spanish flu to the cultural figure of Don Juan. The nickname for the flu, the "Naples Soldier", was adopted from Federico Romero and Guillermo Fernández Shaw's 1916 operetta, The Song of Forgetting (La canción del olvido). The protagonist of the operetta was a stock Don Juan type. Federico Romero, one of the librettists, quipped that the play's most popular musical number, Naples Soldier, was as catchy as the flu. Davis argued the Spanish flu–Don Juan connection allowed Spaniards to make sense of their epidemic experience by interpreting it through their familiar Don Juan story.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Oh, that's Lord Dunsany's estranged brother.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The Heavenly Llama is said to drink water from the ocean and urinate it as rain. According to Aymara eschatology llamas will return to the water springs and lagoons where they come from at the end of time.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

It's equivalent to "American buffalo, who are accosted by American buffalo, accost American buffalo back"

i.e. it's stupid
Not quite. Bison from Buffalo, NY accost bison from Buffalo, NY.
A tragic plague of buffalo on buffalo violence, promoted as a distraction so they will remain divided and not rise up against their wolf overlords.
Buffalo buffalo of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your wings.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

How rude.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

After this meeting, Brodie, whose polio vaccine was at least partially effective and reasonably safe, and who developed several ground-breaking ideas about vaccination whose validity was confirmed two decades later with the development of the Salk vaccine, was immediately fired and had trouble finding employment again. Brodie died three and a half years later.[57] Kolmer, an established researcher whose vaccine was unsafe and probably ineffective, kept his job, was given a second appointment as professor of medicine at the Temple University School of Dentistry the next year, continued to publish research papers, and received multiple awards throughout his academic career.[57][58]

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

However, it seems that this pleasant extrapolation of dubious facts is now generally accepted as being no more than just that.[13]

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

For the yellow spotted lizards, fourteen bearded dragons were used, four of which were used for the main parts, and the rest of which were used as “background atmosphere lizards”.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Taste is absolutely not an important thing in geology, in any sense of the word.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

With his shoes, Andy was able to walk, swim and fly which was supposed to give hope to people with disabilities.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The detection of this pattern, a Fletcherian textual profile, has persuaded some researchers that they have penetrated the Fletcher canon with what they consider success

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

"Nightwish, but somehow more embarassing."

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Yeah, naming a new world species "Chinense" was a pretty big mistake.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Both Necropolis (4) and Rave (5) are criticized for straying from the series' rules.[citation needed]
Most notable of these changes is that Trioxin (spelled Tryoxin in these particular films) zombies are no longer the indestructible juggernauts of the first movie, but instead much weaker than even "Romero zombies." Several times throughout the movie they are seen to be dispatched with no more than a few body shots, sometimes as few as two hits will end their undead life. Prior to this film nothing short of incineration or electrocution with extreme high voltage would terminate a Tryoxin zombie.
However, this may be a different form of Trioxin; here, it is referred to as "Tryoxin-5,", in lieu of "2-4-5 Trioxin" which may explain why the zombies are weaker.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

raminasi posted:

in ishkur’s previous version of that guide he actually did hypothesize the existence of a theoretical music genre called “booty trance” that, tragically, did not yet exist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2BzUPoGCd4

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Toxic music copyright crap sucks (and Led Zeppelin is especially guilty) but the joke is even funnier when he gets cut off after one note.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Oh wow, that's a name I have only heard in one context before. I guess it's familiar, but not too familiar.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Wow. I didn't watch the video or whatever it was but it must have been loving grim.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

What is an lf-style tweet?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Congrats to the virginia opossum, our national and only marsupial.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Sham bam bamina! posted:

flattening fetish
Oh no, please tell me this isn't what Flat gently caress Friday is secretly about!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

We had a large group of Karen refugees move into our neighborhood back when I was in high school. We made some good friends and I really miss them.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

In mathematics, umbral moonshine is a mysterious connection between Niemeier lattices and Ramanujan's mock theta functions. It is a generalization of the Mathieu moonshine phenomenon connecting representations of the Mathieu group M24 with K3 surfaces.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Actually I think you'll find it means hope.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The term dog has been used as a synonym for sausage since the 1800s, possibly from accusations that sausage makers used dog meat in their sausages.[19] In the early 20th century, consumption of dog meat in Germany was common.[20][21] The suspicion that sausages contained dog meat was "occasionally justified".[22]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The sourwood is perfectly hardy in the north and a worthy ornamental tree in lawns and parks.