Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:%22In_popular_culture%22_articles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Rufo posted:

i maintain that "girlfriends in popular culture" was one of the best vandalisations ever

went digging for that, found this:

:colbert:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Remote Viewer posted:

That's actually a list of lists

does it contain itself?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

gingrich posted:

do you ever see a linked phrase on wikipedia that seems really obscure and interesting but it turns out to be two links next to each other

for example i saw one today that said fictional school massacre and though it would direct to a list of school massacres in fiction but it was actually two links to fiction (wtf) and school massacres

im sure there are better examples than that but i cant think of them atm

i always want it to be like starship troopers "would you like to know more?" but it's always just some definition of the term and nothing about the specific instance

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

axolotl farmer posted:

The wordplay is based on the distinct meanings of the two occurrences of the word flies (the verb "travel through the air" and the noun for "certain insects"), and of the word like (the preposition "similar to" and the verb "enjoy"). For example, the second clause can be read as "fruit travels through the air similar to a banana" or as "certain insects enjoy a banana".
srsly makes me :qq:

Gin on Toast posted:

Every time there's a gag that draws on a character's past, somebody will add it to Wikipedia as canon. If a character says "My Dad used to be the best roofer in town, til he fell off a ladder and broke his legs" expect to see "Unlike [character], his father has previously obtained [[gainful employment]], since [character] says he worked as a [[roofer]] until a [[workplace injury]] stopped him from working.[6]" crop up soon. It's twice as bad for cartoons or webcomics or media that has no depth but a rabid fanbase.
i hate the []'s because i always want them to be like real web links and give more information about the specific incident and im always so, so disappointed

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i like reading wikiarguments its like watching a really :spergin: dog jump through hoops he made himself

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
the Anime Grand Prix... yes this information belongs in the short blurb

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

LunixArchduke posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template_talk:User_Asperger/Archive_1

this lame edit wars page is loving amazing

I was wondering how the inclusion of this userbox and category helps in building an encyclopedia. --malber 18:42, 18 January 2006 (UTC)

Is that a sincere question? Why have you added it to your user page if you think it is inappropriate for Wikipedia? --Tabor 19:30, 18 January 2006 (UTC)

He doesn't have Asperger Syndrome. He thinks AS is a "social construct for hiding bad behaviour" and that people with AS "just need to accept that they are a jerk". See my talk page, near the top, for quotes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk%3AMistress_Selina_Kyle
He recently got blocked for making this kind of bigoted hate speech, then for vandalizing talk pages of people with Asperger Syndrome. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Log/Block?page=User:malber --Mistress Selina Kyle (Α⇔Ω ¦ ⇒✉) 20:05, 18 January 2006 (UTC)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
sounds like coyote didnt live long or prosper

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
neither

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Mirrors are the cool place to hang out. You can find most of the cool people there. In mirrors you can just chill and do whatever and totally reflect. "Take it easy" is the mirrors motto, for example, that's how laid back it is there. Show up if you want to have a good time. Another good reason to show up is if you want to reflect dogs.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
he also said it failed because kraft foods would bury him on the shelf

like literally hire guys to shove lunchables on top of dilberitos

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
just c&p the person who did it originally and claim it as your own, its the wikipedia way

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

RZApublican posted:

found something from wiktionary, Category:English words affected by prescriptivism

Some people tell you to say "x" even though some / many / most of us say "y". But just because they're telling you this doesn't mean they're right. Read about these terms and decide for yourself.

bitter end (plural bitter ends)
(nautical) that part of an anchor cable which is abaft the bitts and thus remains inboard when a ship is riding at anchor
Note: To pay out a rope to the bitter end means to pay it all out
(idiomatic) The end of a long and difficult process.
(nautical) the final six fathoms of anchor chain before the point of attachment in the chain locker of modern U.S.naval vessels, with these six fathoms often painted blue, white and red to warn deck hands of the end of available anchor chain.
[edit]Usage notes
Some see the idiomatic use as a corruption of the nautical one, replacing the nautical term bitts with the unrelated term bitter (“unpleasant, arduous”).

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
what is 'autism therapy'

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

RZApublican posted:

Autism therapy

and it's talk page

burn web down, start over

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
ok i really hate to ask but if there's a template out there that sucks and a better one is available that does exactly the same thing why aren't all references to the lovely template just replaced with the good one. or the whole template. or the whole wikipedia.

yospos demands answers paging parahexavoctal itt.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

RZApublican posted:

hey look, it's Eubulides again
:aaa:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Eubulides/Barnstars

quote:

The Tireless Contributor's Barnstar
In honor of your 1000th edit to the Autism article, your enthusiasm for knowledge, and the patience you've shown in mediating content disputes on every autism-related article. -- Soap Talk/Contributions 23:54, 6 April 2009 (UTC)

edit: eugh this is just heaps of... soemthing

quote:

The WikiProject U.S. Roads Contributor Barnstar
Thanks for your help in getting Interstate 70 in Colorado to Featured Article status. Dave (talk) 06:37, 10 October 2009 (UTC)

ah yes one of the best articles on wikipedia... interstate 70 in colorado

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 7, 2010

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
what's the thing where you compare word counts of articles

because 'interstate 70 in colorado' has twice the content as the trail of tears

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

quote:

"C-sections"

"A number of the men also had a difficult time being birthed and sometimes needed a c-section to be performed."

I find this very interesting, given the links between autism in general and the intestinal flora, the links between the effects of the intestinal flora on the brain, and the fact that a huge consequence of a c-section on a baby is that it is not exposed to the normal vaginal flora. If the baby is also not breast-fed, then he won't have a normal intestinal flora. I would not be surprised if love-shyness were highly a matter of microbes (and the subsequent impaired digestion/brain development/immune system). -Unsigned
"oh lol btw none of this is my fault"

quote:

Daran's Blog
Personal Ramblings of a Aspie Feminist Critic

(Visitors from Wikipedia are welcome to browse this now largely inactive blog. Active discussions on the subject of love-shyness and related matters continue on our new blog – Feminist Critics. — Daran)
i can't talk to women because of crippling personal issues but OMG THEY SUCK

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

and now somebody wants to delete that so there are ‹See Tfd› everywhere

im pretty sure half the editors are really just trolls

like how can you tell the difference between a real sperg and someone who wants to make wikipedia lovely with really odd reasoning

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

RZApublican posted:

Unrequited love

well, the article is just a list of examples in fiction, let's have a look at the talk page

jesus this block looks so good

quote:

Cardcaptor Sakura

I added about Tomoyo's unrequited love for Sakura in the TV section. This might be important since I didn't see it listed.. anyways. 24.129.239.143 06:35, 26 August 2007 (UTC)

Hello, guess what? I will eliminate your contribution,
like that's exactly how it should go and then :barf:

quote:

because the case of Sakura and Tomoyo is a platonic love, as Sakura never realized that her friend was in love with her. The unrequited love refers to a refused love. Yes, this is cruel, but say good-bye to your text. Happy day. 200.71.186.110 23:00, 19 September 2007 (UTC)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Wikipedia is not about Truth. It's about citation.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

fishmech posted:

Elk and deer are both words that used to refer to all large wild animals fyi~

even elephants?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

fishmech posted:

There weren't very many elephants roaming the British Isles when people were speaking old and middle english bro.

actually there were a lot of them when hadrian crossed the alps to build his wall

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

qirex posted:

He never did that a tiny force of spartans stopped them and won the war

thank god, f'in commies

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

RZApublican posted:

WikiBooks, "Open books for an open world", where wikipedians try their hand at being authoritative

let's see what they have to say about Evolution of Operating Systems Designs
mere? mere.

quote:

In fact, mere commercial success isn't sufficient to make an operating system noteworthy. It also emphasizes working implementations over mere projects.
table of contents:

quote:

6. Properties of Namespaces
1. Namespaces in Unix and Plan 9
a) Reserfs and the Power of Namespace Unification
2. Namespaces in Languages
3. Namespaces in HURD
4. Namespaces in Grasshopper
5. Other Namespaces
6. Theoretical Namespaces
this is v. important guys. v. important.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
this post was Not Good

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 3, 2018

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Parahexavoctal posted:

It's like comparing "Sonic the Hedgehog" to "Shakespeare" and ignoring the 200+ articles on separate aspects of Shakespeare.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Othello_(character)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Rose

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Excalibre posted:

Not sure why I'm bothering to reply to you, but the sort of contributor who wants to write 10,000 words on animes is not about to go dig up citations to improve the reliability of information on Bolivian culture or whatever. It's not like the choice is one or the other.

in conclusion you're retarded and should probably get out

why let him contribute at all

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

fishmech posted:

why actively spend effort to prevent him from putting a few kilobytes of words on a website

whenever the complaint is made "there's a ton of useless poo poo on wikipedia" someone trots out that lovely line "lol the guy updating naruto biographies doesn't know poo poo about the third reich!!!" which misses the point entirely and begs the goddamn question of why there are incredibly detailed biographies of fictional characters in the "sum total of human knowledge"

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
well whatever the wiki line for being a serious encyclopedia is then idk

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

JawnV6 posted:

well whatever the wiki line for being a serious encyclopedia is then idk

the k stands for kare

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Refrigerators#In_popular_culture

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Just read this entire thread in one sitting

wikipedia is hilariously awful (mlmp) and is now my favorite site

After reading about the fictional bears then seeing the seagull making GBS threads I was crying

thanks for this post

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

RZApublican posted:

the Strawberry Shortcake talk page is a hotbed of dissent and discussion

thank god someone is including alexandria-based elementary school rumors into our Compendium of Human Knol

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
lol is that what happens when you put [citation needed] all over the place?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i got on an assassination kick, until i stumbled on this gem of an article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_John_the_Fearless

thanks wikipedia, what would i have done without links and no-content tags

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

haveblue posted:

I found a problem with that list and fixed it

when i edit stuff from work it tells me my IP is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
on the article for emperor nelson I it has the sentence "He lost a lot of money investing in Peruvian rice" and i threw a spergfit because i'd be interested in "peruvian rice" if it's some sort of named thing like a ponzi scheme but jesus gently caress who needs links to Peru and Rice from that goddamn sentence