Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
I dislike Snowpiercer's conclusion, how condensed it was bothered me, and yet I'm still gonna recommend it as a popcorn flick. Highly enjoyable.

The one part of the ending I did enjoy was seeing the polar bear, and thinking, 'Oh hello, the one creature on Earth that actively hunts humans.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
So I was wondering if Exam was still available, and it is. It's a great film.

If you type "exam" into the search bar, you are rewarded with not only Exam but a bunch of "example videos" of babbling fountains and guys dribbling volleyballs and stuff. Quality programming for the whole family!

edit: Holy crap the reviews on some of these are amazing

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

The guy who dribbles volleyballs also moonwalks with a laptop, clacks his teeth, and does some kind of monologue about Pompeii.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Drew: The Man Behind the Poster is a great look at the life and work of Drew Struzan, a man who has created more movie posters and album covers than you'd probably expect. The whole movie is almost too understated, too modest for the sheer vastness of this artist's talent. He's just incredible and nothing I say will do it justice.

While Drew Struzan is a wonderful artist, I felt the movie was a bit too self-congratulatory. The part that was most interesting to me was him getting swindled by his former business partner but the movie sadly didn't spend much time on that before moving to his next art gig.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This isn't just a "goon flavor of the week" kind of thing. It's a spectacular film. I think I've seen it eight or nine times by now.

Seconding this. And I only found it via a "browse the entire netflix library" app I have on my Roku. Well worth it.

Also, I found a nice little indy flick called The Brass Teapot about a cursed object that gives the owners money when people get hurt. I enjoyed how it explored that side of human nature.

BigBallChunkyTime has a new favorite as of 05:11 on Nov 13, 2014

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Retail Slave posted:

Seconding this. And I only found it via a "browse the entire netflix library" app I have on my Roku. Well worth it.

Also, I found a nice little indy flick called The Brass Teapot about a cursed object that gives the owners money when people get hurt. I enjoyed how it explored that side of human nature.

Coincidentally, I just finished this a few seconds ago. It's pretty good.

edit: Try playing a drinking game where you drink every time you see the female lead in a bra or neglige

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 06:28 on Nov 13, 2014

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Animale posted:

While Drew Struzan is a wonderful artist, I felt the movie was a bit too self-congratulatory. The part that was most interesting to me was him getting swindled by his former business partner but the movie sadly didn't spend much time on that before moving to his next art gig.

Agreed. I found it also kind of hilarious that Struzan's "personal" artwork is so horribly tacky that it all looks like stuff your weird aunt would buy at a warehouse store to hang over her fake fireplace.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Peaky blinders season 2 just popped up today .

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Coincidentally, I just finished this a few seconds ago. It's pretty good.

edit: Try playing a drinking game where you drink every time you see the female lead in a bra or neglige

I had no complaints there.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

thrawn527 posted:

It actually was. Right before they do it, someone says, "At this altitude, it should only take 7 minutes." And then everyone treats the 7 minutes like it's a real small amount of time. "We only have 7 minutes." So they were at a high altitude at that point. The film expressly states this.

Yeah, it was definitely the altitude, probably also along with the speed the train is moving.

That was the first movie in a while that really drew me in until I finished it.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
The first two Batman films, directed by Tim Burton, are on netflix. Definitely worth rewatching.

ZombieSnot
Jan 2, 2011

Entrenched in nutritious rotting flesh.

ThirdEmperor posted:

I dislike Snowpiercer's conclusion, how condensed it was bothered me, and yet I'm still gonna recommend it as a popcorn flick. Highly enjoyable.

I just watched this with my gf the other night. I am completely in agreement with the ending. The journey was so much fun and the movie was quickly becoming one of my favorites in the last year. But the ending seemed so rushed and almost a cliché cop-out.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I too have a question about Snowpiercer, but not about the ending. Why did the guards with the axes cut the fish before fighting? Is that some kind of South Korean thing I don't get as an American? It was just bizarre and didn't seem to have a point.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Deadite posted:

I too have a question about Snowpiercer, but not about the ending. Why did the guards with the axes cut the fish before fighting? Is that some kind of South Korean thing I don't get as an American? It was just bizarre and didn't seem to have a point.

Visual metaphor. "We're going to gut you like a fish."

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.

Deadite posted:

I recently read an article with the director and it had to do with old African tribes and intimidation, and I'm pretty sure the reason was to invoke the feeling you had when you saw it.

http://www.filmcomment.com/entry/interview-bong-joon-ho

I watched Machine Gun Preacher and man was that movie a stinking pile of poo poo. I hope someone takes another shot at it in a few years, but displays the protagonist more accurately, as a narcissistic poser. I also rewatched Glengarry Glen Ross and as a former sales guy, I was always confused when managers used parts of that movie to inspire salespeople.

If you want a documentary that plays on the format and messes with your expectations, watch The Imposter That is all I'll say.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

prezbuluskey posted:

I was always confused when managers used parts of that movie to inspire salespeople.

MLM guys especially love to reference that film. They're also usually people who are not qualified for or just couldn't cut it at an actual management job, so it makes them feel good to play pretend.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I wake up every morning, eat a cigarette, slam some black coffee, listen to Alec Baldwin tell me I'm a piece of poo poo, and then work my desk job for 8 hours. :911:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Season 3 of Lilyhammer just showed up, as well as Marvel's Agents of SHIELD. Both are good series; agents of shield is really well done and even if you're not that much into Superhero stuff it's still a good series.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Third and final season of Borgia just recently came up. If you haven't seen it, it's awesome. Not to be confused with The Borgias, which sucks. The best way I can describe Borgia is it really strongly reminds me of all those historical tv miniseries that used to be on Masterpiece Theater in the 90's, but with more sex and violence. If that sounds like something you'd like check it out today.

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010

bewilderment posted:

Visual metaphor. "We're going to gut you like a fish."

Haha, that makes more sense. My wife and I were wondering if those were poisonous, and they were coating their blades with fish poison. :iiam:

chillmander
Feb 15, 2012
The Story of Film: An Odyssey is an incredible 15 part documentary about the evolution of the medium. Absolutely fascinating. One of the things it focuses on is the psychology behind filmmaking and how visual narrative can be constructed. Definitely give the first episode a look if you have any interest in cinematography.

Similarly, Keanu Reeves' loving tribute to film Side By Side is really excellent. A bunch of the top people in the industry chat about the changeover from film to digital. Really excellent. I feel bad for admitting that I never considered Reeves to be much of an artistic force but the dude knows a ton about the craft.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

cheerfullydrab posted:

Third and final season of Borgia just recently came up. If you haven't seen it, it's awesome. Not to be confused with The Borgias, which sucks. The best way I can describe Borgia is it really strongly reminds me of all those historical tv miniseries that used to be on Masterpiece Theater in the 90's, but with more sex and violence. If that sounds like something you'd like check it out today.

This is 100% accurate and if you only ever gave the Jeremy Irons one a shot you're missing out because this one is a thousand times better.

(edit)

vvv Holy poo poo, I've played through New Vegas with Legion alliance like 20 times and I did not even notice. :aaa:

13Pandora13 has a new favorite as of 05:09 on Nov 22, 2014

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

cheerfullydrab posted:

I've never even heard of this, probably because I thought it was The Borgias. Apparently it's made by the guy who created HBO's Oz, Tom Fontana.

Sold!

Also, like Oz, I expect every single fresh-faced actor in the series will be a Hollywood standard within 10 years.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If you're a big fat nerd then Borgia is made even cooler by the fact that Rodrigo Borgia is played by Caesar from Fallout: New Vegas.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm thinking of getting into The Tudors. Is it worth it?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
I just saw today that cyborg and men of war is up.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Retail Slave posted:

It's loving garbage.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

"I Know That Voice" is worth watching, if just to see the part where Billy West describes how he came up with Zoidberg's voice. Or to hear Tara Strong do Rosie Perez.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Retail Slave posted:

I enjoyed it - I'd recommend it as long as you aren't the type that rages when a semi-historical show gets the history wrong (which it does, in a lot of ways). It can be a little slow at times, and it can get a little excessive on the nudity, but "loving garbage" is uncalled for.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Tudors isn't awful but I don't know if it's worth getting into. Maybe if you've got a lot of time on your hands and nothing at all to watch.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Retail Slave posted:

In short, no. It's not very good even if you turn your history brain off.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Captain Lavender posted:

"I Know That Voice" is worth watching, if just to see the part where Billy West describes how he came up with Zoidberg's voice. Or to hear Tara Strong do Rosie Perez.

Youre a liar. Its a 1.5 hours of self contragulatory auto fellatio. Most of the actors just seem annoyed that people dont recognize them for their talents by appearance alone like one would a screen actor. Ok maybe its only 1 hour or crap. 30 minutes of it are insightful, but theyre parsed throughout redundant 10 second clips of numerous people explaining the same concepts that are spliced together in a poor effort to keep the film captivating.

It could have been done better by not trying to give every voiceactor ever screen time

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Saget IRL posted:

Youre a liar. Its a 1.5 hours of self contragulatory auto fellatio. Most of the actors just seem annoyed that people dont recognize them for their talents by appearance alone like one would a screen actor. Ok maybe its only 1 hour or crap. 30 minutes of it are insightful, but theyre parsed throughout redundant 10 second clips of numerous people explaining the same concepts that are spliced together in a poor effort to keep the film captivating.

It could have been done better by not trying to give every voiceactor ever screen time

My appreciation of the doc has gone down immensely after I started listening to Rob Paulsen's podcast and tracking down other voice actor interviews on Nerdist et al because of it and realized that almost every anecdote and conversation the voice actors have in it is one that they have been repeating verbatim for years.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Yea i dont doubt that. Maybe thats why Hank Azaria didnt talk much, because its all stuff hes said before. What he did say was about his voices are poor impressions and i know ive heard him say that before. I dont care though cause hank actually seems like an interesting and entertaining person.

they kept saying how their craft can be harder than screen actors, i wish they actually talked to some people that have had success doing both expand on that idea. Azaria and Seth Green could have, and i know i recognized a few other people that have been on screen.

But nope. A whole bunch of people whining "its not about doing impressions" *does bugs bunny impression*

Seriously, anyone interested in voice acting and wants to watch this, id say skip the first 30 minutes and if you dont know about mel blanc look him up.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

My appreciation of the doc has gone down immensely after I started listening to Rob Paulsen's podcast and tracking down other voice actor interviews on Nerdist et al because of it and realized that almost every anecdote and conversation the voice actors have in it is one that they have been repeating verbatim for years.

Yeah, but I'd never even have known to look for that stuff without the documentary, and I am a pretty big nerd. It's a fun introduction to a weird industry. Plus Grey Delise looks hot as hell for being 45 or something. I never would have guessed that.

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!
I watched the first 3 episodes of 'Helix' last night. It's a Syfy show and thought it was a little darker and graphic than their normal fare. It's about a virus outbreak at a base in the Arctic and the CDC comes in to handle it. Don't want to give anything away, but I enjoyed it.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

hamster_style posted:

I watched the first 3 episodes of 'Helix' last night. It's a Syfy show and thought it was a little darker and graphic than their normal fare. It's about a virus outbreak at a base in the Arctic and the CDC comes in to handle it. Don't want to give anything away, but I enjoyed it.

You are in for a tremendous *treat*. For better or worse, the first three episodes are in no way indicative of the quality or tone of the rest of the season.

What starts off as a serious scientific thriller becomes more and more gleefully stupid until it basically turns into Resident Evil: The TV Series, down to masterminds with secret staircases, shady corporations with private armies, secret societies, and secret bunkers under secret labs under regular labs.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Lamprey Cannon posted:

You are in for a tremendous *treat*. For better or worse, the first three episodes are in no way indicative of the quality or tone of the rest of the season.

What starts off as a serious scientific thriller becomes more and more gleefully stupid until it basically turns into Resident Evil: The TV Series, down to masterminds with secret staircases, shady corporations with private armies, secret societies, and secret bunkers under secret labs under regular labs.

Helix is a terrible show but at least it has the decency to be a fiasco. It's the kind of show that's fun to leave on in the background so you can laugh at all the terrible musical cues and ridiculous piling-on of twist after twist like a second-string LOST knockoff from 2007 and The Rocketeer trying really hard to be gruff while Hiroyuki Sanada is menacingly Asian and the rest of the cast delivers clunky dialogue while consistently making the dumbest decisions possible.

I actually laughed out loud when, just when I thought the show couldn't get any stupider, the :ghost: spooky ghost girl :ghost: showed up and then they ended an episode with a montage set to that cover of Mad World was already a punchline half a decade ago.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Lamprey Cannon posted:

You make it sound fun and I enjoy ludicrous plots but Helix was a combination of boring and dumb, the first 3 episodes anyway, never watched beyond that. But apparently it became drastically better starting with episode 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

wormil posted:

You make it sound fun and I enjoy ludicrous plots but Helix was a combination of boring and dumb, the first 3 episodes anyway, never watched beyond that. But apparently it became drastically better starting with episode 4?

It's definitely a gradual process, and takes a while to make you realize how stupid/insane it's going to be, but when it gets there, the crazy pile does not stop from getting taller.

• Locked thread