Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Psycho-I don't think this movie needs any explanation.

The Boys and Girls Guide to Getting Down-This is pretty much a parody of those 1970's sex ed videos you were forced to watch in school, but this film is set in modern day Hipster LA.

The Atomic Cafe-A chilling and often hilarious reminder of Cold War-era paranoia in the United States, this film artfully compiles newsreel footage, government archives, military training films and 1950s music into a singular cinematic experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
It's no longer on View Instantly, though it will probably come back.

Timecrimes.
http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Timecrimes/70084258?strackid=3bdc23229ec7e2b5_0_srl&strkid=118228748_0_0&trkid=438381

awesome movie.

World's Greatest Dad is good too. Very, very, very dark.

inaniloquent
Apr 7, 2007

Je suis génie.
The first five seasons of Saturday Night Live, which can be rocky at times (especially in the first season) but are an absolutely brilliant time-capsule of intellectual responses to 1970s Americana. The show really got away with a lot of dark, lewd and surreal material. Also, Gilda Radner. :allears:

TOUCHE LEVAR BURTON
Nov 30, 2006
I'm on Netflix constantly and usually just put on whatever the hell looks mildly entertaining for white noise but I gotta say the most recent one to blow me away was Section 13. As soon as I saw it was a Luc Besson flick I stopped what I was doing and was not disappointed.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Best In Show, number 2 in my opinion to This Is Spinal Tap for mockumentary.

There's also a ton of MST3K now on Instant Streaming, if that's your thing.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

Barry posted:

Rape of Europa

This. loving amazing, can't recommend it enough.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
World's Greatest Dad - Directed by Bobcat Goldthwait (yes, that Bobcat!), it's about a high-school English teacher (Robin Williams) who has a very goony, bitter son who is obsessed with sex.

I don't want to give anything away, but watch this movie. It's VERY, VERY dark comedy and it's done very well. And it's directed by Bobcat Goldthwait! And it's GOOD!

The Anal Pirate
Jul 8, 2008

Who the hell are you to judge me!?

Tumble posted:

World's Greatest Dad - Directed by Bobcat Goldthwait (yes, that Bobcat!), it's about a high-school English teacher (Robin Williams) who has a very goony, bitter son who is obsessed with sex.

I don't want to give anything away, but watch this movie. It's VERY, VERY dark comedy and it's done very well. And it's directed by Bobcat Goldthwait! And it's GOOD!

My wife and I watched this the other day and I must say, I LOVED it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I thought worlds greatest dad was a kids movie so I never watched it. I guess I could have just seen its rating, but never cared to look. Then I went to my friends one day, and he wanted me to watch it. Not what I was expecting at all.

I'd like to recommend Street Thief. It is a very amazing movie, maybe the best fake documentary I've ever seen. Here is the description from amazon.

quote:

Kaspar Carr is a master thief, targeting businesses in the Chicago area. In STREET THIEF, he stakes out fresh opportunities in front of a documentary film crew, which gradually becomes complicit in his crimes. As the director and producer become entangled in the allure of their fascinating subject and the legal ramifications of their actions, Carr pursues a series of larger-scale and more dangerous jobs. All the while, he reveals how he came to choose this unconventional lifestyle.

STREET THIEF combines elements of film noir and cinema vérité in a novel approach to filmmaking. Shadowing Carr and his film crew from urban supermarkets to suburban shopping malls to the snowy fields of Wisconsin, viewers are rewarded with a voyeuristic view into the lives of the thief and the filmmakers and are able to witness firsthand their changing philosophies and notions of morality.

edit: Trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nw1tJn2r94 for real, watch this movie. I can't recommend it enough.

TOUCHE LEVAR BURTON
Nov 30, 2006

Harminoff posted:

I thought worlds greatest dad was a kids movie so I never watched it. I guess I could have just seen its rating, but never cared to look. Then I went to my friends one day, and he wanted me to watch it. Not what I was expecting at all.

I'd like to recommend Street Thief. It is a very amazing movie, maybe the best fake documentary I've ever seen. Here is the description from amazon.

edit: Trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nw1tJn2r94 for real, watch this movie. I can't recommend it enough.

I just watched this the other day, I fully recommend it as well. It was so good it actually made me google Kaspar to see if there was more info before I realized it was fake

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If your girl is nagging you about watching a chick flick, The Ugly Truth is alright. Catherine Heigel is stupidly attractive and Gerard Butler will probably make her drool so much that she'll shut up for five minutes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Tumble posted:

Shakes the Clown also directed by Goldthwait. Hysterically sick, twisted, and funny...

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Oldboy has horrible dubbed voices!

Full Metal Jacket

The Motorcycle Diaries

Pan's Labyrinth

Hoop Dreams

Super Size Me

Food, Inc.

Solaris

12 Monkeys

Terminator 2

Letters from Iwo Jima

Psycho

A Nightmare on Elm Street

From Dusk Til Dawn

Bram Stoker's Dracula

Interview with the Vampire

Evil Dead

The Exorcist

Carrie

Night of the Living Dead

Carlito's Way

The Usual Suspects

Boondock Saints

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

The Commitments

Alexander Nevsky

Battleship Potempkin

The Vanishing (original version)

8 1/2

Fitzcarraldo

Agguire the Wrath of God

The Last Emperor

The Seventh Seal

Dirty Harry

The Road Warrior

Breaker Morant

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

Streetcar Named Desire

On the Waterfront

The Wages of Fear

Un Chien Andalou

Memento

M

The Lady from Shanghai

The Right Stuff

Raising Arizona

(In case it's not obvious, I'm really, really, really into Netflix streaming movies.)

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
Amelie
Animatrix
Bolt
Brokeback Mountain
Harold and Maude
Memento
Up (Also Monsters, Inc.)
Palindromes
Shawshank Redemption
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

TOUCHE LEVAR BURTON posted:

I'm on Netflix constantly and usually just put on whatever the hell looks mildly entertaining for white noise but I gotta say the most recent one to blow me away was Section 13. As soon as I saw it was a Luc Besson flick I stopped what I was doing and was not disappointed.

I just watched that the other day, too...Great poo poo.

And Moon. Awesome, sad movie.

Also hi Toc.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

If you don't watch this you don't like comedy.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

settes posted:

Louis CK: Chewed Up if you want to see one of the best standup comedians ever

Came here to post this almost exactly word for word. I'll make this post about shows, since I have so much to recommend. Netflix instant streaming is all I really watch any more.

The Showtime shows are mostly up there and are all pretty great. That is to say Dexter, Weeds, Dead Like Me, and Californication. The Tudors is worth watching, but I wouldn't call it great. Seriously if you have watched everything you can from each of those series (though the last couple season of Weeds is just kind of okay) then you are a loser.

There is a bunch of No Reservations up there, if you like traveling or food.

If you have ever played an NES you owe it to yourself to watch all of The Super Mario Super Show and Captain N The Game Master.

Milk Chan is so bizarre I don't even know where to describe it. You'll either love it or hate it. It's like Citizen Kane if you're on weed.

The Riches is a show from a couple years ago that I've only just started watching. Eddie Izzard and Minnie Driver play the leads, what more do you want?

They also have classic Astro Boy if you're into that kind of thing. There's also some Voltron.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Spartacus: Blood and Sand

You have to watch beyond the first episode, but wow, best drat series I've seen in a long time.

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

I just watched Thirst last night, which is by Park Chan-Wook, guy who directed Oldboy and whatnot. Sort of a sexy gory vampire love story deal that is actually good *cough*twilight*cough*

Oh wait I got more:

Cashback: little British indie about a guy working in a convenience store who can maybe stop time?

Special: Michael Rapparport maybe has superpowers or probably is just insane.

The Wackness: Disaffected pothead new yorker in the mid 90s. Stellar hip hop soundtrack.

Visioneers: Weird low budget indie with Zach Galifinakianaiksjinsiikis about jobs so stressful people explode. Very odd, and a downer.

Tell No One: Awesome awesome french thriller/murder mystery kinda thing.

The Host: Fun Korean monster movie that is like gory and funny and sad and political but somehow still poignant? I dunno it's great.

Splaa has a new favorite as of 23:48 on Jun 10, 2010

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Splaa posted:

Cashback: little British indie about a guy working in a convenience store who can maybe stop time?

I actually thought this movie was pretty blah, but it has some of the best nudity in a movie ever. The Swedish exchange student walking up the stairs was worth that months netflix sub cost alone.

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

A Nice Boy posted:

I actually thought this movie was pretty blah, but it has some of the best nudity in a movie ever. The Swedish exchange student walking up the stairs was worth that months netflix sub cost alone.

Yea i'm not saying it waas the greatest movie ever, but it's at least something different and interesting that would otherwise be totally overlooked.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Splaa posted:

Yea i'm not saying it waas the greatest movie ever, but it's at least something different and interesting that would otherwise be totally overlooked.

It was amazing how much they over sold the nudity in the movie (I mean the only reason me and my roomie even started watching it was due to the topless female on the cover), but then actually watching the movie I'm greeted with a whiny British kid who uses his time stopping ability to ummmm I suppose draw people. It really made me think he was just living out his rape fantasies and being a general douche, but hey, he gets the girl in the end and it was a rom-com.....so I guess it's justified?

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

Wow i didn't know that people watched, like, real movies solely for the opportunity to see a boob or two, learn something new everyday.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Niggurath posted:

It was amazing how much they over sold the nudity in the movie (I mean the only reason me and my roomie even started watching it was due to the topless female on the cover), but then actually watching the movie I'm greeted with a whiny British kid who uses his time stopping ability to ummmm I suppose draw people. It really made me think he was just living out his rape fantasies and being a general douche, but hey, he gets the girl in the end and it was a rom-com.....so I guess it's justified?

Read "The Fermata" by Nicholson Baker. You'll love it.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Splaa posted:

Wow i didn't know that people watched, like, real movies solely for the opportunity to see a boob or two, learn something new everyday.

Guys will sit through the worst poo poo on earth for the chance of seeing tits for a few seconds (quoting something, I can't remember what...a comedian I think).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Every episode of Comedy Central Presents is now on the instaqueue. It shows up like one season of a show with 151 episodes. It is glorious.

detuned radio
Oct 23, 2007
i trust i can rely on your vote.

Bottom Liner posted:

Every episode of Comedy Central Presents is now on the instaqueue. It shows up like one season of a show with 151 episodes. It is glorious.

216 by the looks of it. And Premium Blend!

They also have a fantastic six-part Auschwitz documentary called, "Auschwitz: Inside the Nazi State."

diabolik
Nov 28, 2004

You know, if you'd have stolen a little less I could see her ass right now!

Bronson - film about Britain's most violent felon, which has one of the most arresting scenes I've ever seen in a film: an 80s rave in an insane asylum, set to The Pet Shop Boys' "It's a Sin".

Seconding Party Down which now is up to episode 7 of season 2. It's one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

The entire runs of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel are now available.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

diabolik posted:

Strangely, this is exactly what I am watching for the first time (Buffy). It's crap television but it's enjoyable enough while I'm doing other things (mostly knitting and cleaning).

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

diabolik posted:

All of the Joss Whedon shows are up. This includes Firefly and Dr. Horrible's Singalong Blog which are the only two things he's made that are worth watching.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Cash Back was pure poo poo.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong

eelmonger posted:

Brick: It's balls to the wall film noir...but it's set in a modern day high school. You wouldn't think the combination would work, but it really does.

Primer: I don't want to give anything away because I think this movie is best if you're discovering everything along with the characters. I will say that this movie is low-budget, old-school sci-fi at its finest. Be prepared for a mindfuck though.

Brick and Primer were both good but I don't think Primer is available on Instant Watch anymore. The movie was hard to follow but it won me over because it had some of the most realistic dialogue I've ever seen in a movie.

American Movie was a very entertaining documentary about an amateur filmmaker and his... "interesting" life. I'm still not sure whether he's a sympathetic character or not.

If you'd like to see a documentary about this guy struggling to make his vision of the great American movie into a reality, definitely check it out.

edit: d'oh, American Movie isn't on Instant anymore. Still, it's a great movie.

bleedbackwards has a new favorite as of 17:03 on Jun 11, 2010

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

It doesn't look like this is on instant, unless I'm missing it somehow. Anyone have a link?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I think Netflix just removed about every single television show from their instant queue, I looked through and there's nothing there, so I think it's a general service outage.

Tom Tucker has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Jun 11, 2010

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Tom Tucker posted:

I think Netflix just removed about every single television show from their instant queue, I looked through and there's nothing there, so I think it's a general service outage.

You sure? I just got done watching X-Files and my kids were watching Spongebob, and as I was flicking through my instaqueue it looked like all the usual stuff was there.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
Angry Beavers, Hey Arnold, and Rocko's Modern Life available for instant watching? Life can go gently caress itself for the next few days, I'm gonna relive my childhood.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
QUARANTINE
This is pretty much a shot for shot remake of the awesome Spanish movie [REC], but since the original isn't available for instant viewing, and you're too lazy/impatient to rent the original (do it anyway!) it's not bad as far as remakes go. Basically a late night news crew goes into a building with some firefighters to answer a distress call, she has a mysterious virus and the building is quarantined, and all hell breaks loose. It's shakycam, if that bothers anyone.

DEADGIRL
Is it possible to think a movie was good but not really want to recommend it? Because while this movie was *good* it's really hosed up, gross and disturbing. Two high school slackers find a naked, yet kind of dead looking chick chained up in an abandoned asylum basement. One of them thinks its gross and hosed up and awful, the other wants to keep her. Don't show this to a girl on a first date. Or ever, really.

KONTROLL
I love this movie. It's in Hungarian, and is about this guy Bulcsu and a team of metro workers who kind of suck at their job and lives in general, and how they go about their life underground and dealing with weird Hungarian people, a murderer, etc. It's got a really weird kind of Dark City vibe to it, an awesome soundtrack, and is funny/sad/dark/weird/slapstick/drama/romance.

TEETH
Teeth is sort of like the opposite of Deadgirl, in that while DG is about rape/dehumanizing someone to the point where they are little more than a sex toy, Teeth is the girl gets revenge on all the guys who have hosed her over. Yes. This is a vagina dentata story. Don't show this to a guy on the first date.

DEAR ZACHARY
My emotions throughout this movie went like: aww, to tears, to fuming, to wanting to vomit out of anger, to bawling. It's a seriously, seriously sad movie. Dear Zachary is a film made about Dr. Andrew Bagby by one of his friends. Andrew was found dead of multiple gunshot wounds in 2002, and his crazy ex girlfriend was considered a suspect. She fled, pregnant with his child. The movie is about Andrew's family, and their battle for custody of Zachary, the child. Really disturbing and sad.

TRIANGLE
Kind of weird horror movie. Can't really summarize it without giving it away. If you like horror and boats, watch this movie?

Also on there (just by looking at my queue) is UP, Karate Kid, Breakfast Club, Let the Right One In, Antichrist, etc.

Whispering Machines has a new favorite as of 00:20 on Jun 12, 2010

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

I visited BYOB and all I got was this lousy avatar
I Like Killing Flies - Is awesome. It is a documentary about Shopsin's restaurant in NYC. Kenny Shopsin just may be the greatest philosopher of our generation.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Whispering Machines posted:

KONTROLL
I love this movie. It's in Hungarian, and is about this guy Bulcsu and a team of metro workers who kind of suck at their job and lives in general, and how they go about their life underground and dealing with weird Hungarian people, a murderer, etc. It's got a really weird kind of Dark City vibe to it, an awesome soundtrack, and is funny/sad/dark/weird/slapstick/drama/romance.

I watched this too and had no idea what to expect from it but I wound up really liking it as well. It made me want to look up more information about their subways to see what the movie reflects (but I didn't because I was lazy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

Ninja Toast! posted:

The Gamers: Dorkness Rising

Extremely low budget. About Dungeons and Dragons type gamers.

I put it on expecting it to be pretty lame and turn it off in a few minutes, but it was actually pretty funny, and you don't even need to be into those types of games, I've never played one myself. (Having a general idea of how they work would probably help a bit though)

I've seen this, and he's right- its very funny, especially the poor bard.. Theres stuff thats so bad it makes you cringe, like the loving demon kid, but among my D&D group, we still do the "Stegosaurus!" thing.

• Locked thread