Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Oldboy has horrible dubbed voices!

Full Metal Jacket

The Motorcycle Diaries

Pan's Labyrinth

Hoop Dreams

Super Size Me

Food, Inc.

Solaris

12 Monkeys

Terminator 2

Letters from Iwo Jima

Psycho

A Nightmare on Elm Street

From Dusk Til Dawn

Bram Stoker's Dracula

Interview with the Vampire

Evil Dead

The Exorcist

Carrie

Night of the Living Dead

Carlito's Way

The Usual Suspects

Boondock Saints

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

The Commitments

Alexander Nevsky

Battleship Potempkin

The Vanishing (original version)

8 1/2

Fitzcarraldo

Agguire the Wrath of God

The Last Emperor

The Seventh Seal

Dirty Harry

The Road Warrior

Breaker Morant

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

Streetcar Named Desire

On the Waterfront

The Wages of Fear

Un Chien Andalou

Memento

M

The Lady from Shanghai

The Right Stuff

Raising Arizona

(In case it's not obvious, I'm really, really, really into Netflix streaming movies.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Zombieland, and Jaws! woot

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Fast Times at Ridgemont High!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Seasons 1-5 of American Dad and 1-8 of Family Guy

I couldn't find Season 1 of Family Guy, but the others were there?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Blue Velvet, Blood Simple, other awesome movies too numerous to count. Definitely going to have to clean some of the crap out of my queue.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

CapnBry posted:

Season 1 of Heroes was awesome though.

I agree, and it's a pity the whole show didn't end with the conclusion of Season 1.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

TheFonz posted:

I'm watching Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels right now. One of Guy Ritchie's best films.

After only having seen some of his lamer more recent efforts, I was blown away at how good and how enjoyable Lock, Stock was.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Question for the crowd:

I just purchased a Netflix account for my Dad (to go with a new Blu-Ray player woohoo), but when I go to the "Watch Instantly" menu I don't seem to have the "Add to Instant Watching Queue" option for movies like on my account.

Is it because there are no devices activated yet for his account, or because it's in the one month trial period? Or did I set up the options wrong somehow for his account?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

Did you purchase it or is it a trial account? You say both in your post.

Well I think I set it up as a trial, but I put my credit card info etc. so it will start billing after the trial month. It doesn't let him queue instant watch movies until after the trial period?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

poonchasta posted:

Hover your mouse pointer over the red "Add" and blue "Play" buttons, and the option to add to your instant queue should pop up right above that.

No, something is different with the account I set up for him. There is no "Add" button, there is for my account.

Edit: Something must have changed since I last posted, it's working now.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Make sure to check out Big Time, a previously hard-to-find concert/performance art film by my favorite musical artist, Tom Waits.

Thank you, so much, for this. Tom Waits is a god.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Has anyone had the experience where Instant Watching hangs up in the preliminary screens? I'm getting error N8005 which happens after the "determines quality" and "buffering" are complete, but during "acquiring license". This happened once before but it was a long time ago and I don't remember the solution.

Tried rebooting computer and power cycling router. Other network functions (web browsing etc.) seem to work okay.

Edit: And I also logged out of and back into the Netflix site.

Double Edit: Calling their help number tells me they have greater than normal call volume, try again later, am I to understand it that their system is down and it's not just me? They don't seem to have a real dedicated forum so it's hard to tell otherwise.

Zwabu has a new favorite as of 00:49 on Nov 10, 2010

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

safety dan posted:

I kept getting an error earlier today as well, although it appears to be working now.

Yeah it's back working for me now too, not sure what the issue was.

One of the main things I'm using Netflix Instant Watch for is working my way through the X-Files, a show that I kind of grew up with. I've seen a lot of the episodes, including many of the great memorable ones, but there were so many seasons there are a ton of episodes I never saw.

I was never really interested in the "myth arc" of the show and much preferred the one-off standalone stories, but going through the series is forcing me to acquaint myself with this other aspect of the show.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

OgreNoah posted:

Scrubs really peaked towards the end of Season 5, with My Lunch and My Fallen Idol. Afterward it got boring and all about relationships instead of comedy medical situations.

I just finished watching Yojimbo for the first time on instant watch, it was almost as great as Seven Samurai. There are a bunch of old Kurosawa masterpieces on Netflix, I'm gonna watch Sajuro, Rashomon, and Dreams next I think.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiSearch?v1=Ikiru&oq=ikir&ac_posn=1

Watch "Ikiru". It's in black and white, has no samurai or sword or arrow play, and is a tear-jerky drama about an old man trying to find meaning at the end of his life. But it's very good.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

If you're into travel, Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" is mostly up on Netflix and, I think, well worth a watch.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

John Carpenter's "The Thing" and "This is Spinal Tap" are currently on Netflix streaming and highly recommended for those who have never seen either one.

I think "The Thing" corresponds with the movie being run on Starz network.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Jolo posted:

John Carpenter's "This is Spinal Tap" starring Wilford Brimley, Kurt Russell, Michael Ironside, and Rowdy Roddy Piper.

I'd watch the hell out of it, no lie

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

bunnybean posted:

I watched both of these and positively adored them, thank you. I was more partial to The Signal (found it funnier), but both have some great moments of humor. The second act in The Signal is just hilarious.

I just noticed that Russell Brand in New York City is on Netflix. If you haven't watched that stand up show yet, it's quite funny.

Wow, this is great. I love the hell out of Severance, I thought it was a funny as hell movie that was also scary as hell, didn't sacrifice the tension for campy humor, so now I'm anxious to watch The Signal.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I also watched The Howling which wasn't quite as good as I was expecting.

Funny, I just watched it last night after noticing it on Netflix. Yeah it wasn't as good as I remembered. Saw it on original release, the effects suffer from being pretty dated but it was fairly good Fangoria state of the art stuff at the time. Lots of nostalgia value for me but it suffered both from the incredibly dated effects and the really flat acting from the principals, particularly main character Dee Wallace who seems to be on some kind of tranquilizer during the whole thing.

It has historical interest of being a prominent part of a genre during that period.

The main thing I remembered was the early scene where Dee Wallace, the reporter, is meeting with the serial killer Eddie Quist in the peep show movie booth, that's actually well done and scary as all hell, very disturbing. That was the whole reason I watched the film again, and that scene delivered, but the rest of the film... not so much.

I had completely forgotten the way the film ended, it came back to me as the ending approached and I had a good laugh.

It's interesting how one really well done scene can stay with you over decades, even as you forget the rest of the film.

Interesting that John Sayles is the co-writer.

IMDB posted:

There were times during the making of The Howling (1981) when Robert Picardo (who played serial killer Eddie Quist) was very despondent about the hours he had to spend in makeup. On the Special Edition DVD he remarked: "One day, after spending six and a half hours in the makeup chair I was thinking, trained at Yale, two leading roles on Broadway. My first acting role in California, my face gets melted in a low-budget horror movie. All the crew had to say to that was, "Bob, next time read the script all the way through first!"

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Please, please, if you are a fan of movies in general and horror in particular, see Suspiria.

My post in the "rate movies" thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3184582&pagenumber=74#post390991692

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The original "Highlander" movie is on Netflix streaming now. I've never actually watched this despite enduring years of "there can be only one" references and such, gotta watch it now.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
Silence of the Lambs
The Kids in the Hall

woot

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

casual poster posted:

Btw, is The Host any good?

Lots of fun. Definitely watch it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Welp, looks like Barton Fink is gone. I found this out midway through the movie too.

It comes and goes. Yeah Netflix Instant Watch has altered my habits where I see a lot of movies in many interrupted installments. Not the greatest but just the way my available time goes. If I think a film particularly good then I make a point to go back and watch it uninterrupted.

Zwabu has a new favorite as of 13:28 on Jul 1, 2011

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

From the original Star Trek series:

City on the Edge of Forever (as previously noted)
The Menagerie (2 parter - honestly one of my favorite TV episodes of any show)
Amok Time

I like a lot of the other ones too but there's a lot more variation in quality of the writing than TNG has.

I also saw the American remake "Let Me In" (of "Let the Right One In") and thought it was overall good but it was almost a complete scene for scene remake except set in New Mexico instead of Sweden. It made me kind of feel like "why remake it then if it will be the exact film almost" but the obvious reason is "to make some money off U.S. audiences who will never read a subtitle" of course. Felt like I still liked the original better overall.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

casual poster posted:

The Man from Nowhere - Wow, I have never 5'd a movie so fast. This movie is great. Generic, yes (guy goes after people who took his "daughter"), but extremely well executed. Great actors and choreography. Someone recommend me more korean movies to watch.

I just watched I Saw The Devil on Netflix Streaming and was pretty impressed. I thought it was rather too long and over the top, kind of wears out its welcome by the finale in my opinion, but the first third of it is like the tightest most intense serial killer movie ever.

Cinematography is top notch, crisp and beautiful.

Korean cinema really has some serious mojo going on right now. I'm interested in watching any notable Korean films too.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

casual poster posted:

Their not korean, but check out: Oldboy

Oldboy is in fact Korean. In fact, as I understand it, the "Oldboy" actor is the villain in I Saw the Devil.

The problem I have is that the Netflix Instant Watch version of Oldboy is dubbed, I tried to watch it but the dubbed voices are so jarring that I didn't want to finish, I'd rather see it in a subtitled version.

The Host is really good, worth seeing. It's not currently available as an instant stream, but it was earlier, that's how I saw it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

particle409 posted:

I don't know when they added it, but Dirty Jobs is now on Instant! If you've never seen this show, Mike Rowe does a good job of showing some of the hosed up jobs that keeps our country running. The only episode that really freaked me out a bit was the tannery one. I swear I could smell that place through my tv screen. It's season 3, episode 3.

Yeah it's been there forever but is a really good show.

It's good to list some highlight episodes. From the top of my head, memorable ones include:

-for sheer grossness, the one in the San Francisco sewer/septic facility is the worst in my opinion.

-Louisiana bug exterminator team of guy and his cute wife (later spun off into a bad spinoff reality show) clearing a billion roaches out of a mobile home, difficult to imagine people actually living in there

-the one where Mike had to do the ?goat? castration with his teeth

-tannery one is good

-the one where he worked in the slime eel/lamprey thingy processing center, those things are really disgusting

Anyway those were some particularly good ones to look out for. Mike Rowe is great and I hope he has a long and prosperous life. FYI his background includes opera singing and being a host on QVC. You can find snippet videos on Youtube of him hawking stupid crap with an ironic grin on his face.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

El Diente posted:

Watched Rubber over the weekend and I must say it was definitely one of the more interesting films I've seen in a while. If a serial killer tire with head exploding powers sounds like a fun time check it out.

How is this different from, or similar to, Scanners?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Any good suggestions for shows to watch in the background? I like to have something on while I'm working on another screen that I can watch for a little while, but then listen to and/or tune out when I go back to working. I'd prefer if they weren't something like straight documentary or totally dry. Something like Mythbusters is the perfect balance of interesting, educational, funny, and long-running.

I think Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations is up your alley also, especially if you're into travel. You can look at the episode list and see if the countries visited are what you might be interested in.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Anthony_Bourdain_No_Reservations/70136132?trkid=496624

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Longtime_Companion/60003613?trkid=496624

Longtime Companion is, I think, one of the first American theatrical releases that had the AIDS epidemic as its subject. It focuses on a group of friends, gay men, in New York, and the impact of the disease on them by looking at snapshots of their lives over a period of years, with the disease starting out as a strange news article in the New York Times that they discuss in telephone conversations and around the hot tub, to denial of the disease's significance and their vulnerability to it, ending with its devastation of their circle.

It features a really strong ensemble cast with Campbell Scott, Bruce Davison and Mary-Louise Parker with really good performances, particularly Davison. There are a few really emotionally powerful scenes, particularly the one with Davison at his partner's deathbed, encouraging him to let go of life, and the movie's finale.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Eat This Glob posted:

I just watched Trainspotting for the first time. Great flick, on Netflix instant.

I envy people watching this film for the first time. But then I'm also always disappointed that Ewan MacGregor's career has never yielded a role that was quite so perfect for him as Mark Renton.

Zwabu has a new favorite as of 03:47 on Aug 24, 2011

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Pope Mobile posted:

I noticed Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is on instant. Everyone's talking about the books and movies. Is it even worth watching?

Just finished watching this, and it's thoroughly awesome. Take two very interesting and sympathetic protagonists with separate story lines that eventually meet, add one part "ooh a mystery", with a mystery story line that goes all the gently caress over the place, add a thoroughly evil villain, shake it all up and you get a very good film.

Kind of wraps things up a bit too neatly for my taste (Hollywoodish) and leaves me wondering where the sequels come from, unless it's the further Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew adventures of Lisbeth and Mikael investigating other mysteries that are unrelated to the story in the first film.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

wormil posted:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo I'm struggling with. About 2/3, maybe less, through it and while it is well made and well acted, the story doesn't interest me. I'm not getting into the mystery enough to care what happened to the girl; nor can I relate to either of the main characters. Is it worth sticking with until the end?

I think so. I'm a bit biased because I was pulled in right away with the musical score and sense of foreboding. I do think the mystery gets a bit too convoluted just before it gets solved, but you are probably a lot closer to the resolution of the mystery than you think. The film's climax actually comes before the end, and there's a fair amount of epilogue.

The resolution of the mystery and villain are a little more in line what what you may be familiar with and like better as far as story. I'm sorry you didn't care for the two lead characters, I really liked both and was interested in both and was dying to see how their stories would come together.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

While we're still on gay themed cinema:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Wedding_Banquet/60011421?trkid=496624

The Wedding Banquet, an earlier Ang Lee work from before he became massively famous, from the early 90's.

A Taiwanese yuppie guy and his white boyfriend live together happily in NYC. They hatch a scheme for the Taiwanese guy to marry his Chinese deadbeat art student tenant so she can get a green card, he can get tax breaks and get his parents off his back once and for all about finding the right girl.

Of course they insist on coming to America to arrange an elaborate wedding, deception, complications and comedy ensue.

It's funny but very good characters and writing, the "drama" aspect is very strong as well. 5/5.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I Love You Phillip Morris

I just saw this on the recs from this thread, and I really liked it. I'm surprised that I never heard of this considering two fairly big hitters in Carrey and MacGregor were in the film, but I guess it had a limited art house kind of release because of all the gayness?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

a kitten posted:

Holy poo poo Repo Man is on there! I'm not sure if it's new or if I just never looked for it since I own it and have seen it a million times. If you haven't seen it it's the best punk rock movie involving repo men and aliens and Emilio Estevez ever made. It's a great, funny, weird, low budget masterpiece.

It's been there for a while. In celebration, let's go get sushi.. and not pay!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Airplane! and Spaceballs are on there now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

11b1p posted:

Seriously I'm on episode 6 now

Christ, now I'm 6 episodes in in one day too. This show is pretty awesome but I'll have to say a major weakness in the show, for me, so far is the fact that the guy's whole family are such insufferable twats. They are a little too much like caricatures when White himself is such an awesome character. I like his partner but he looks and sounds a little too much like Jason Mewes for my taste.

• Locked thread