Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

enigmahfc posted:

I've been binging my way through Party Down lately, and it's really funny.

The first season was good. The first half of the second season has been pretty terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
Been watching When We Left Earth the last couple of nights. It is a multi-episode documentary of the various stages of our space program. Each episode covers one program (Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, shuttle, space station, etc). It is full of cool footage and interviews with the astronauts that flew the missions.

Pretty good so far.

I watched Rampage last night and despite the reviews being mostly positive for some reason, it is just another terrible Uwe Boll film so don't be fooled. Although if you want to feel seasick from inexplicable extreme shaky cam for action packed scenes such as "two dudes eating fried chicken" then this might be just the movie for you.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Splaa posted:

Rampage is the worst loving movie I've ever seen, because it's basically Uwe Boll's self-insertion masturbatory critic murdering fantasy. He's like some kind of no-talent no-guilt Raskolnikov note that he gets away with all the money at the end? Yes, he has contempt for you too!

Just watched Triangle the other night, interesting little horror/suspense movie, not at all what you'd expect. Basically Primer on a boat.

It seemed to me like he couldn't get the GTA license and wasted Postal on a comedy soo...

It might have been salvageable as just a goofy shoot em up if they had stopped when dude gets the cash instead of tacking on that retarded camcorder segment at the end.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

RettroShocka posted:

Why after 30 minutes does the framerate go to hell when watching instant movies?

I don't have framerate problems, but after months of always streaming great in HD it now flips between four bars and one bar every four or five minutes. It is really annoying.

Edit: this is on the 360. On the PC it will try to switch to a lower resolution and then just hang at buffering for eternity until I stop it and resume.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
I just watched Triangle, and despite what everyone has said, it was a turd of a movie and not in the same ballpark as Primer. It was more like someone mixed up a low budget 80's horror movie with Groundhog Day.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
My wife found a movie called I Think We're Alone Now the other night. It is a documentary about a hermaphrodite and an asperger's guy who stalk 80's pop star Tiffany. It is amazingly creepy.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Dead Cow posted:

If anyone hasn't watched Sparticus: Blood and Sand, it's awesome. Rated X MA for nudity (both genders) and violence. Over the top 300-esque bloody glory type violence.

Also, Lucy Lawless's boobies.

Does this show get better than the first episode? Because the first episode was so utterly horrible that I couldn't bring myself to watch another.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Jolo posted:

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans by Werner Herzog. This is a police mystery, but the reason you're watching is to see just how batshit insane Nic's character is. He yells and screams and does cocaine and smokes pot and eats painkillers and threatens people and hallucinates and bangs Eva Mendez for the entire movie. This is crazy freak out Nicolas Cage at his finest. Enjoy.

This movie would have been a lot better if they hadn't decided to link it to the vastly superior Bad Lieutenant and then pretend it wasn't supposed to be a remake or sequel even though it is right there in the title of the stupid movie.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Cropsy

This movie goes off the rails quickly and never really recovers.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

particle409 posted:

The Sherlock series is great, I wish there were more but it's hard to complain when they are so long. Has anybody seen Four Lions yet? It looks interesting.

Four Lions is great, definitely worth checking out.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Captain Lavender posted:

I want to say I've had the same problem as Quad. I never timed it, but ever so often, and frequently, it stops to load and never will unless I refresh the page. I am on a wired connection.

No matter the browser, or amount of space open, it keeps happening. Other continuously running internet applications never have the same issue. Maybe I'll actually call their tech support number.

I had this problem a lot on my PC but never on the Xbox app. I never figured out what was causing it because I don't watch it on my computer at all now.

The Xbox seemed a lot better about dropping quality when necessary, and maybe that is why it didn't have those problems.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

FizzyJuffoWup posted:

Season 1 of The Walking Dead is supposed to go up some time today as Netflix just struck a deal with the show to stream the current season (beginning today) and all future seasons.

Make sure you open up the old thread and read along while you watch if you enjoy true horror.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Jibo posted:

Can anyone tell me from the perspective of someone who thinks that zombies have kind of gotten played out recently, how good The Walking Dead is?

It is pretty bad, honestly. The character development is awful and they fall back on cliche cardboard cutouts at every opportunity and it just gets more ridiculous (and not in a good way) as it goes on.

In that regard it is a lot like most of the comic book series after the first "big" volume. There was a lot of potential that is kind of sad to see wasted.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Kung Food posted:

So I watched Conan O'Brien Can't Stop thinking it would be mostly his stand up with a little bit of behind the scenes. Instead I was treated to a disheveled looking Conan being a massive douche bag to his crew and everyone around him laughing uncomfortably because he is the boss. I don't know if he is going for some kind of Andy Kaufman thing where the joke is on the audience, but it left a really bad taste in my mouth. _ don't think I can be team CoCo anymore. :(

The guy had just gotten screwed out of the dreamjob of every talkshow host on earth, was banned from tv for several months, and put together a show for his fans with no notice and went on a grueling road tour so he could give people a show, and let himself be filmed constantly the entire time.

I think that sort of excuses the crabbiness. He is a performer, he isn't Conan from TV 24 hours a day. That would be weird.

Anyway, it was a pretty good movie if you followed the saga at all or like seeing celebrities out of their normal polished element.

edit: it is very similar to the Jerry Seinfeld "Comedian" documentary.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
The best LARPer movie on Netflix or earth is Darkon, because it is terrifyingly real.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Saint Sputnik posted:

My first thought, but I can't sniff out anything obviously wrong with it. No "false" links or anything.

New issue that's pissing me off: I go to Netflix today and find out the site's missing a lot of functionality, from popup descriptions to actually loading movies. It's because all that appears to now be hosted on edgesuite.net, which is blocked by NoScript pending my approval which is unlikely because it has a really lovely reputation.

You realize that EdgeSuite is Akamai and is simply a content delivery network, right?

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

particle409 posted:

I just watched Pontypool. Not amazing, but it's certainly good enough to have on while dicking around on the computer.

I watched this a while back because the premise sounded kind of cool but then it turned out to be awful.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
I watched Word Wars again a couple of nights ago. If you like weird documentaries, it is a pretty good one. It follows several broken shells of human beings through competition in the world Scrabble championship.

Still criminal that Hands on a Hard Body isn't available, even on disc.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Narwhale posted:

I'd love to see all the Louis Theroux docs put up. I've managed to see some of them online, but I know I've missed a lot and I love his interview style.

Weird Weekends was really his prime. The newer stuff seems to have a more serious bent that doesn't suit his "oh golly" act as well.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

mds2 posted:

I must be the only one that didn't like Insidious. I thought it was really really boring, about a half our longer than it needed to be, and not scary in any way. The demon was more comical than anything.

It was awful.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Peep Show was just added itself, and it's one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

It doesn't really ever stop being funny, either, even though it has been going for quite a while.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Saucy Slit posted:

Finally.

DARK DAYS is available. (docum. on people living in the NYC underground rail system, DJ Shadow on soundtrack).

This is one of the coolest documentaries I've seen. You should watch The Secret of NIMH first, though.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Medullah posted:

Just subscribe to their RSS feed, shows you whatever new movies are added as soon as they're added.

http://www.netflix.com/RSSFeeds

Or if you don't hate yourself use Instant Watcher.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

teknetik posted:

The Vice Guide series is pretty crazy. I've only watched two episodes (Liberia and North Korea) and it was pretty drat terrifying. It's up on Netflix till the 1st.

Yes, these are awesome. If you want to see more of them there are some on their website that aren't on Netflix. All of them are worth watching. I think they probably have to check their balls as oversized luggage before they board the planes.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

SolidHavoc posted:

Because it is insulting to visit war-torn, impoverished countries to tour them for hipster cred? Seriously, 60% of these films were the journalist describing to the camera how "sketchy" the place they were in was.

Did you get all mad and self-righteous when Louis Theroux went to South Africa, too?

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Christoff posted:

Not a movie but saw my roomate watching Party Down and proceeded to sit down and watch 4 episodes. It's pretty hilarious. It's about a catering company in Hollywood or nearby and most the workers are aspiring actors and it's just hilarious. Especially if you worked any sort of job where customer service is a big factor.

Do yourself a favor and skip season 2 because it is awful.

Severance and Tucker and Dale were both great.

If you like somewhat generic Korean revenge movies, The Man from Nowhere is entertaining once it gets going.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

casual poster posted:

The writing seems to get more serious in the 2nd season, there's more drama between the two leads (I forget their names, it was awhile ago) but some of it is just a set up for some jokes/the episode. Great show though.

The problem with it was that they followed the terrible trajectory of the American version of The Office, but compressed the last seven progressively worse seasons into one.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Alterian posted:

Any good show recommendations to watch? I like watching not super involved tv shows while I work and I'm running out of things like Intervention, Hoarders, Heavy, Toddlers & Tiaras, various food shows, The Wonder Years, How Things Work, etc. I don't like to watch anything that's too interesting or involved or I'll pay attention to that instead of getting work done.

The first season of Gold Rush: Alaska is entertaining in a brainless sort of way. You don't really have to pay that much attention because every episode is "some losers fail in some way at mining for gold."

The second season is an entirely different story, but it isn't on Netflix yet, so bullet dodged.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Volume posted:

After Survivor man every other survivor show seemed too gimmicky mainly because I held them in comparison: "These guys call themselves survivalists? Les Stroud was out there for a week, alone, and he filmed it all himself!" Reading your post though, I'm gonna have to give this show a shot.

I don't think it is on Netflix, but there is one show called "Alone in the Wild" that was filmed similarly to Survivorman, but the guy who is surviving is an incompetent cry baby who is absolutely terrified of bears and spends most of the season literally hiding in a tree.

It is pretty great if you can find it.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

MrDingleDangle posted:

I hate to be that guy, but I am watching the first episode of peep show, does the camera work continue like this? I really dislike it

Yes, that is the point of the show...

Give it a few episodes and you'll get used to it, though. It is a great show.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Froglight posted:

But I'm mainly here to say that people should watch HARRY BROWN with Michael Caine. It's about Michael Caine just completely loving up junkies. It's basically what I wished Gran Torino had been. Michael Cane kills it, it's gritty as hell, and God-drat does he ever gently caress up some junkies.

This was pretty good. It occupies a weird middle ground between Gran Torino and Taken.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
There's a documentary up called "Rock-afire Explosion" about some weird hillbillies who are obsessed with the old Showbiz Pizza animatronic band that is a sight to see. Woooo boy.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

jojoinnit posted:

Not sure how long it's been up but the classic Weird Al film 'UHF' is up. Also features a very very young Michael Richards (Kramer from Seinfeld) and Fran Drescher.

This is one of the best movies.

It also has Jambi from Pee-Wee's Playhouse as a bumbling minion.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I like watching esoteric documentaries and this was actually pretty entertaining and interesting, and although awkward, was much less awkward than the other documentary about people obsessing over stupid poo poo from the 80s, I Think We're Alone Now. Good god was that movie an ordeal. I don't think I've ever felt that uncomfortable in my entire life.

I agree entirely. I think Word Wars might still win the "most broken human beings" award, while Darkon and American Movie are tied for the most entertaining of the sub-genre.

If you have any other recommendations in this category, I'd like to see them. I've watched so many that I'm starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
Been watching Workaholics. It is extremely derivative, but somehow manages to still be hilarious. The first episode Adam seemed like he was trying to be "O Face" guy from Office Space, but now he seems like he is stuck doing a bad Jack Black impersonation that is never going to end.

Other than that, it is one of the funnier shows I've seen.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
The Invention of Dr. NakaMats is a documentary about a Japanese inventor. He claims to have invented the floppy disk, but mostly he lives in a shrine to himself and "invents" things like the self-defense wig and an engine that runs on water and a magical bra. He does this by sitting at the bottom of a pool waiting until he is 0.5 seconds from death and smudging ideas on a vaguely waterproof notepad he invented.

It is amazing, and you should watch it.

edit: also he is going to live to be 144 and sometimes his dead mother gives him ideas.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Ccs posted:

What in the what. I just watched this movie on your recommendation and goddamn is the last 15 minutes f-ed up. There's a building sense of unease in the movie, but it really crests near the end.

I have said this before, but if you want a LARP movie, watch Darkon. It is pretty much the best movie on Netflix. It is LARP, and it is all too real.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Liku posted:

Just watched Darkon, meh, the production quality was pretty mediocre and some of the people in the game have serious god drat issues. It's a good insight into LARPing but it really just makes it look goofy and laughable.

Yes, those are all the things that make the movie good.

If you want a documentary that explores the well adjusted grownups who spend large portions of their lives dressing up in silly outfits and getting angry at fake battles and NOT looking silly, you probably need to find a documentary on alternate universes.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

scorpiobean posted:

Also it looks like all the episodes of Married With Children are up on Netflix. I remember watching a few episodes while it was actually on air and finding it pretty boring because I was too young to understand any of the jokes. Recently, I caught some old reruns on TV and thought they were pretty funny so now I'm running through them on Netflix. One thing that caught me a bit off-guard was that in the season one episodes I've seen so far, there's actually been some pretty sweet (as in adorable) moments which I hadn't expected, but was kind of a pleasant surprise :3: No idea if there are still moments like that in later episodes though.

The most unexpected thing for me was that they replaced the theme song with some generic instrumental. I guess the licensing didn't work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
The Michael Rappaport movie "Special" is on instant. It is vaguely science-fiction, and a pretty good movie all around.

• Locked thread