Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
With this new price increase, my 3 at a time plan has gone from 17 bucks to 24 in the last year. It's not like $7 a month is a huge onerous financial burden, but it's a pretty big amount percentage-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Great article on the price increase that's not just the same stuff over and over again like the rest:

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/14/why-netflix-raised-its-prices/

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm thinking about getting an Amazon Prime account because of their streaming video service. Even if I do, I'm not going to abandon my Netflix, even with the price increase. My question is, is it worth it to get Prime just for the video library? Are there any sites that index the content in the same way instantwatcher.com indexes stuff for Netflix Watch Instantly? Are there any good articles or blog posts I should read about Amazon's streaming video service? If I'm going to spend the drat money I want to be informed, and I don't want to buy something I don't need and won't use.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

New to Watch Instantly just today:
Fireplace For Your Home

quote:

Suitable for any time of the year, Fireplace For Your Home includes our famous old-fashioned, wood-burning fireplace, as well as a natural crackling yule log fireplace all set to Christmas holiday favorites.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Drei posted:

The best part about this is that it's two whole episodes - regular fireplace and Yule log.
It's a miniseries! I do wonder if they have different music.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Netflix just said that I would rate a certain movie 5 stars for the first time since I signed up 6 years ago. I've been steadily rating movies for at least 3 of those years and that has been reflected in my recommended rating, but I've never seen the algorithm go all the way and actually state that I would rate a certain movie 5 whole stars. Thank you Netflix, for always surprising me.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

oneof27 posted:

Well, what is this masterpiece of cinema?
There Will Be Blood.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Leper Residue posted:

Eh, that's like a freebie for the recommendation system.
Yeah I've already gotten it on DVD and watched it instantly before. I was just trying to watch the part where older H.W tells Daniel he's going to Mexico. Love that scene. Did that need spoiler tags?

"I'm going to Mexico with my wife. I'm going away from you."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Does the hype over rare wine annoy you people more than the hype over rare coins or certain collectibles or something like that? Really? If so, why is that?

On topic: Flight is good. Watch it. It's more about dealing with addiction than anything else.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Well, the hype over things like rare coins is usually based entirely around the fact that they are rare and/or old. Collectors don't pretend that they have intrinsically "better" qualities than more common coins; on the contrary, a lot of rare and valuable stamps are only of any interest because they were misprinted. But people who hype rare wine don't hype it just on the grounds that it's rare or expensive; they claim it has some quality that makes it intrinsically tastier and better than regular wine. Other rare things are prized for their rarity, which they actually have; expensive wine is often prized for what is supposed to be its unparalleled taste, which it doesn't actually have.

Plus, buying old rare coins isn't entirely throwing money away, since you can always resell them later (and they may even be worth more by then, being even older). But once you drink expensive wine, it's gone and you'll never get it back. Which means that anyone drinking expensive wine is burning huge amounts of their own money. There's a lot of resentment toward people who are both rich enough to be able to throw that much money away and snobbish enough to actually do so.
There are lots of expensive rare coins that are expensive partially because they are pretty. Also, people who buy those extremely expensive wines aren't buying them to drink, they're buying them for the same reasons you buy any other collectible. You seem to be saying that something you don't really understand is stupid. Specifically the idea that certain wines have a je ne sais quoi.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Deadite posted:

In P&R do they ever solve the mystery of why they talk directly to the cameras?
People talk into the camera all the time in Shakespeare plays. In the 21st century, the art of the soliloquy has been truly rediscovered at long last.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Third and final season of Borgia just recently came up. If you haven't seen it, it's awesome. Not to be confused with The Borgias, which sucks. The best way I can describe Borgia is it really strongly reminds me of all those historical tv miniseries that used to be on Masterpiece Theater in the 90's, but with more sex and violence. If that sounds like something you'd like check it out today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Tudors isn't awful but I don't know if it's worth getting into. Maybe if you've got a lot of time on your hands and nothing at all to watch.

• Locked thread