Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

TOUCHE LEVAR BURTON posted:

I'm on Netflix constantly and usually just put on whatever the hell looks mildly entertaining for white noise but I gotta say the most recent one to blow me away was Section 13. As soon as I saw it was a Luc Besson flick I stopped what I was doing and was not disappointed.

I just watched that the other day, too...Great poo poo.

And Moon. Awesome, sad movie.

Also hi Toc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Splaa posted:

Cashback: little British indie about a guy working in a convenience store who can maybe stop time?

I actually thought this movie was pretty blah, but it has some of the best nudity in a movie ever. The Swedish exchange student walking up the stairs was worth that months netflix sub cost alone.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Splaa posted:

Wow i didn't know that people watched, like, real movies solely for the opportunity to see a boob or two, learn something new everyday.

Guys will sit through the worst poo poo on earth for the chance of seeing tits for a few seconds (quoting something, I can't remember what...a comedian I think).

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Tom Tucker posted:

I think Netflix just removed about every single television show from their instant queue, I looked through and there's nothing there, so I think it's a general service outage.

You sure? I just got done watching X-Files and my kids were watching Spongebob, and as I was flicking through my instaqueue it looked like all the usual stuff was there.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Something I learned today, View Instantly queue maxes at 500

Zombieland
Futurama added today

District 9 added previously

Every season of King of the Hill

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo tomorrow (very very good)

netflix is the gift that keeps on giving

FUTURAMA ADDED

Praise Jesus

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Thanks for the heads up on Zombieland. I didn't notice it, and I'd wanted to see it, and I've gotta say that it might be my favorite zombie movie now.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Same thing with T2: Judgement Day.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
On my 360 I have no problems...In fact, many times it pauses to INCREASE the quality partway through. No idea the rhyme or reason....I always figured it just had to do with internet use in my house (ie. other people doing poo poo on other computers and such).

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Inzombiac posted:

Thaaaank you. You just saved me 75 bucks because I wanted to watch the series again. I probably will buy them anyway because I want to show support.

(Watch this and not the movie, you heathens!)

I would have posted this way earlier, but I thought it was popular enough that people realized it was there. And to anyone who needs yet another goon rec on this, WATCH IT. It's probably my favorite cartoon of all time.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Just finished watching Iron Man, and if you were like me and missed it in the theater, go watch it now. It's loving great, one of the best superhero movies ever.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
It's been on there for awhile so it's not new, but I watched Top Secret! today for the first time and holy poo poo it was hilarious. Just goes to show what the new "crazy comedy" movies are missing...Things like Scary Movie and Dance Flick are loving retarded...This was intelligent screwball comedy. Made by the same people who did Airplane...Go watch it.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Tailwhoop posted:

The television section just got updated to amazing.

The Office: Season 6
30 Rock: Season 4

And all of Battlestar Gallactica. (except for the first 2 episodes...which is loving stupid as hell.)

I've never watched it before. I'm so excited.

Edit: Edited 30 Rock season number.

gently caress YES. I only ever saw season 1, and I've been waiting for it go up on Hulu or Netflix. Sucks that the first part isn't on there, but luckily I've already seen it.

Where did you notice this stuff go up? I just checked all over the new release area and don't see it.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Dead Cow posted:

Everyone should watch Batman: Under the Red Hood.

Go. Now.

Just watched this the other day, and wow...I'm glad they're going the more "realistic/violent" route with the cartoons. Was pretty damned good.

I'm glad that John DiMaggio didn't try to be Mark Hamill as the Joker, because he would have failed. Taking it in his own direction was a good choice. Anyone know why Hamill didn't do the part?

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
They added Smokey and the Bandit parts 1 and 2 a few weeks ago. Haven't watched the second one, but the first one is always brilliant. Also, Sally Field used to be amazingly hot.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Reaper seasons 1 and 2 got added last week. I vaguely remembered hearing that it was really good when it first came out, but I never got a chance to watch it. It was cancelled after two seasons because it was on that lovely CW channel.

Anyway, it's about a guy whose parents sold his soul to the devil before he was born, and when he turns 18 he has to enter the devil's service as a bounty hunter, capturing escaped souls and returning them to hell.

The show is really funny and well done. I really like all the actors, and the guy who plays Sock is loving hilarious. Ray Wise as the devil is also loving great. It's a really good show...I'm about five episodes in and I'm hooked.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Jibo posted:

This show is good, but suffers from "canceled way too drat soon" disease. It never really lost steam and started getting pretty interesting but they axed it early partially because the actors who play Sam and Sock wanted to do other things and proceeded to do nothing but much crappier TV shows.

This episode is crazy because Snoop talks about how she's changing her life around and what not in it. She's just recently been arrested in a major heroin sting operation.

Also, similar to the Rust Belt episode is the Cleveland one which is noteworthy because he spends a fair amount of time paling around with Harvey Pekar.

Ah, I'd thought it was because it didn't get good ratings. I know the reviews were good, but I thought I'd heard that the viewership was low.

That said, I'm just a few episodes into season 2 and I loving love this show. It's hilarious and interesting and original, and all the actors are goddamn perfect.

Once again, people, check out Reaper.

Ray Wise might be my favorite actor whose ever portrayed the devil.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Hot Tub Time Machine, Ken Burns Baseball, and Sons of Anarchy ssns 1 and 2 just went up! Woo!

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Stargate Universe season 2 is up! Pretty great show.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Jibo posted:

Yesss.... Been waiting on this for a while.

For what it's worth I hate everything Stargate except for the original film but Stargate Universe is awesome and I hope it sees it's way through cancellation status limbo.

Agree...It took awhile to shake the "we want to be gritty like Battlestar Galactica, remember how cool that show was" vibe, and it's settled into its own groove. I like it.

EDIT: Also: http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/8410/star-trek-all-of-them-coming-to-netflix-july-1.html

:neckbeard: gently caress YEAH :neckbeard:

A Nice Boy has a new favorite as of 21:47 on Apr 11, 2011

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Easy A was just added. It's fluff, but it's amusing and surprisingly well written, and Emma Stone. Mmmm. Anyway, chalk it up on the "wow, I can't believe how much better this movie is than the previews made it out be" list.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Elijya posted:

First time watching it? Just so you know, when you get to the last couple of episodes, order the physical DVDs, they have the extended version of the series finale. The version that Netflix has on streaming was the broadcast cut, which is I think 10-20 minutes shorter. If you watch it online, you miss the epilogue for several of the major characters like Chief Tyrol

Well poo poo, I didn't know this. I watched the Netflix version and thought it SEEMED like some characters just disappeared. Is there a place where I can read extended cut spoilers? I don't have a way to watch the different version.

Unrelated, but Kick-rear end was added a few days ago, and it's great. Over the top crazy violent and fun as hell. Hit Girl loving rules.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Seasons 13 and 14 of South Park just went up. They've been free on the internet forever, but I've never really liked watching poo poo at my computer desk, so for me this rules.

And wow...The last 90 seconds or so of the Kanye West/fish sticks episode is one of the best things they've ever done.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Did anyone else see the news story a few weeks back about how Netflix instant streaming to consoles now accounts for something like thirty percent of all internet traffic.

loving insane.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Iron Man 2 went up today!

And if you like Iron Man, the cartoon they added awhile ago just got a whole bunch of episodes. It's surprisingly solid, with a cel-shaded animation style. It's up and down, not the best cartoon of all time, but way better than I thought it'd be. I dig it.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Just watched Worf in an old west gunfight with a shitload of Data's. This is a good day.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Yay Pudding! posted:

Is deep space 9 on there? I can't seem to even find the discs. I wanted to watch it because I heard it was the only ST series with an overarching plotline.

edit: I guess the discs are there but no instant. gently caress that. I live in a world where I don't wait for poo poo.

For some reason, everything but DS9 is on right now. DS9 is coming in October for some buttshit reason.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Twitch posted:

I've seen a decent amount of Star Trek (mostly from syndicated reruns), but is there any fansite or anything with a good list of must-watch episodes of the original series and TNG? Before anyone suggests just watching all of it, I've tried already and there's just too many episodes, most of which are okay in small doses but not really great for marathoning.

TNG Eps:

Q-Who?
Best of Both Worlds 1/2
Night Terrors
Conundrum
Cause and Effect
Yesterday's Enterprise
Clues

That's off the top of my head...I'm sure there are plenty of other badass ones I'm not thinking of.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
CNN and other news outlets are awash right now with stories about users protesting the Netflix price hike, and it's loving retarded. I mean, no one likes a price increase on something they use everyday, but being able to stream 24 hours a day 365 days a year AND get discs for 10 bucks was the deal of the loving century. I've actually been thinking for awhile that it was only a matter of time until this happened, and I'm not surprised at all. In a day and age when people are willing to pay hundreds of dollars a month for iPhone service when all they do is play games and gently caress around with stupid apps, Netflix charging as little as they did was an absolute steal.

And it still is. 8 bucks for streaming is still an amazing deal, considering that it's limited only by how many days and hours there are in a month. Doubling that to get discs is STILL cheaper than most poo poo out there. Hell, Gamefly is 15 bucks a month, and it's disc only.

It's amazing how quickly people get up in arms about poo poo like this, treating it as some sort of inalienable right. Goddamn people are depressing.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

bonds0097 posted:

I think most of the discussion is stupid because it fails to account for several things:

- How many customers are actually affected? That is to say, how many customers were actually fully utilizing the DVD+Streaming Plan? Because those are the only people that will see this much touted '60% increase'.

- How many customers were paying 10 bucks/month for DVD's+Streaming when all they actually wanted was DVD's? In effect, these people were subsidizing everyone else and now they'll just pay 8 bucks/month for DVD's.

- For some subset of customers, I imagine the 6 dollar price increase in DVD+Streaming will make them realize they weren't really using the DVD option anyhow (think of how many people here mention having had the same DVD for god knows how long, anecdotal to be sure but it could be indicative of a larger trend) and switch to Streaming only, thereby actually reducing their monthly charge by 2 bucks a month, or 20% since that sounds more impressive.

- Lastly, I hate the way that article starts: "Sad, sad, sad. The world’s best deal in TV and movies has just gone away.". Near the end, it also says: "In other words, even at $16, Netflix still gives you more than anyone else." So which is it? Because it can't be both. The best deal in TV and movies didn't go away, it just went up in price, that's all. It's still the best deal you'll find. I also don't get why this is now just an 'average' deal. $16 bucks a month for access to tons and tons of poo poo seems like a pretty awesome deal to me, unless you've only been alive for a couple years and have no memory of what things were like 5 years ago before we even had streaming and Netflix was more expensive for DVD's only.

Yes. 16 bucks a month is still cheap as hell for the value you get. If they'd hiked it to 50 bucks a month I could understand this backlash, but a six dollar increase making people freak out like this is loving retarded.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

particle409 posted:

I don't know when they added it, but Dirty Jobs is now on Instant! If you've never seen this show, Mike Rowe does a good job of showing some of the hosed up jobs that keeps our country running. The only episode that really freaked me out a bit was the tannery one. I swear I could smell that place through my tv screen. It's season 3, episode 3.

It's all been on there forever, but it's well worth bringing back up so more people will go watch Mike Rowe be awesome.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
This isn't newly available, as it's been on there for awhile, but I just watched Gosford Park last night, and it was pretty damned good. For a movie where not a ton happens and it being 2.5 hours long, it went by damned quickly, and it has a shitload of stars in it. I guess that's what makes Altman great, though.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
There are a ton of good Discovery/A&E/etc shows like this.

Some that come to mind that I really enjoy are Survivorman, World's Toughest Jobs, and Hoarders.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

CubanRefugee posted:

For budding anime fans, if you haven't seen it yet, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is absolutely amazing. If you like comedy, giant robots, and ridiculous over-the-top fight scenes, then this one is for you.

I never noticed that it was on Netflix until now, and I've been burning through the 27 episodes in two days of work.

Not trying to trivialize your opinion, but to each his own. I thought this show was absolutely loving retarded. I watched the first few after tons of people sperged about it, and goddamn is it horrible. I mean, it's basically all the anime cliches in one...Super over the top yelling and overdramatic retarded story, tits and rear end fanservice galore, giant robots, etc. Some people love that poo poo, but man, not me. And I actually enjoy a decent amount of anime.

If you prefer anime like Samurai Champloo/Cowboy Bebop, avoid the hell out of this.

A Nice Boy has a new favorite as of 06:28 on Sep 7, 2011

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

zoux posted:

Final Countdown is on streaming. Anyone who's ever had a drunk conversation about what the modern military could do against WW II era stuff will like this one. Tomcats vs Zeros!

Also bad news: One stream at a time :negative:

Who the hell streams more than one thing at a time? Who needs that ability?

Actually, I guess if you had kids upstairs watching something and you were trying to watch a movie downstairs it could suck.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

They did well with Spice and Wolf, for instance, but stay the gently caress away from Pumpkin Scissors--their dub work makes it unwatchable.

Don't worry about that one. I don't think I could ever force myself to watch something called Pumpkin Scissors anyway. That's gotta be one of those weird Japanese to English mistranslations, right? Please tell me it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Tron 2 is up...Wasn't bad.

• Locked thread