Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

I just watched Thirst last night, which is by Park Chan-Wook, guy who directed Oldboy and whatnot. Sort of a sexy gory vampire love story deal that is actually good *cough*twilight*cough*

Oh wait I got more:

Cashback: little British indie about a guy working in a convenience store who can maybe stop time?

Special: Michael Rapparport maybe has superpowers or probably is just insane.

The Wackness: Disaffected pothead new yorker in the mid 90s. Stellar hip hop soundtrack.

Visioneers: Weird low budget indie with Zach Galifinakianaiksjinsiikis about jobs so stressful people explode. Very odd, and a downer.

Tell No One: Awesome awesome french thriller/murder mystery kinda thing.

The Host: Fun Korean monster movie that is like gory and funny and sad and political but somehow still poignant? I dunno it's great.

Splaa has a new favorite as of 23:48 on Jun 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

A Nice Boy posted:

I actually thought this movie was pretty blah, but it has some of the best nudity in a movie ever. The Swedish exchange student walking up the stairs was worth that months netflix sub cost alone.

Yea i'm not saying it waas the greatest movie ever, but it's at least something different and interesting that would otherwise be totally overlooked.

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

Wow i didn't know that people watched, like, real movies solely for the opportunity to see a boob or two, learn something new everyday.

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

Rampage is the worst loving movie I've ever seen, because it's basically Uwe Boll's self-insertion masturbatory critic murdering fantasy. He's like some kind of no-talent no-guilt Raskolnikov note that he gets away with all the money at the end? Yes, he has contempt for you too!

Just watched Triangle the other night, interesting little horror/suspense movie, not at all what you'd expect. Basically Primer on a boat.

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

The Ace posted:

Do not listen to this man. This is honestly one of if not the worst film I've ever seen.

it is black black black comedy, and if you're not into laughing while squirming uncomfortably then you should not watch it. I thought it was great.

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

if you want the best of ridiculous nihilistic early 90s buddy-action movies, you should be watching the last boy scout. right now.

*cop rolls up* "hello sir is there a problem"

"yes, this gun has too many bullets in it" BLAM BLAM

great movie.

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

Tendai posted:

I recently watched the movie "Nobody Knows," a Japanese film based on an actual story from the 80s about children abandoned in an apartment. Beautifully done, the lead actor won a best actor at Cannes I think, and deserved it. Be prepared to cry.

This is the hugest bummer of a movie that I have ever seen in my life.

Also just watched the '78 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers and it rules pretty hard.

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

Can't remember if it's been mentioned since this thread hasn't been super active for a while, but holy poo poo Ip Man. You like guys getting punched? You like martial arts? Get on this biz.

Also the actual Ip Man taught Bruce Lee, and the guy in the movie was taught by Bruce Lee. Whoa.

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

get drunk as gently caress and watch Crank 2 right now.

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

Apparently both Harry Brown and I Saw the Devil are on netflix as of today, the former consisting mostly of Michael Caine murdering the poo poo out of chavs, the latter being a korean revenge deal that is straight up one of the most violent movies I've ever seen. If you liked the revenge trilogy you'll dig it.

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

Witchfinder General posted:

I think most people here probably know about it- The Good, the Bad, the Weird is up and is a fantastic non-traditional western with lots of fun fight scenes, cool setting and a bunch of badass characters.

btw, while I mentioned it like five posts up, guy who did The Good, the Bad and the Weird is the same dude who did I Saw the Devil, if that's further convincing to see it.

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

Medullah posted:

YOU GOTTA SHOOT HIM AGAIN, SO HIS SOUL STOPS DANCIN!!!

Really is a bizarre movie...and I love that it had absolutely nothing to do with the original Bad Lieutenant other than the director liked the title.

This movie is amazing.

Also seconding The Man from Nowhere and The Chaser, and if you're on a Korean kick Mother is really really good.

Also I know it was mentioned before but I Saw the Devil is rad if you can stomach it, because it's very unpleasant.

e: Koreans love their revenge movies and I'm totally ok with that.

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

Volume posted:

Severance is a great comedy slasher from England.

Gonna second this, it's kinda like horror office space.

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

As far as gnarly violence goes (but it's also a super excellent movie) check out I Saw the Devil. It's Korean and kind of in the vein of the revenge trilogy (oldboy etc) but I like it better than any of those.

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

PowderKeg posted:

Wait... since when did Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky become available!?!?

watch this movie right the gently caress now everyone no matter what

remember the old daily show with craig kilborn? and there was that clip of the guys head being crushed? this is that movie. watch it. no excuses.

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

Farbtoner posted:

Is it dubbed? It's just not the same without that amazing English dub.

Alas it is subtitled. Sad to find out the big dude is not in fact named Tarzan.

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

all three mission impossibles and all three beverly hills cops added. My labor day is all set.

In fact they added a mountain of stuff this weekend.

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

wormil posted:

I need some new detective/mystery shows. I've seen all the Sherlock Holmes series, Poirot, Psych, Columbo, Luther, Cracker, Frost (not a fan of the latter two). What about Miss Marple, any good? Any other recommendations on Netflix or Amazon Prime? Preferably with an emphasis on mystery.

The Killing is a bit uneven and really grim (moreso than even Luther imo) but I definitely got hooked. Watch it for the main character's sweaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

Not sure how long ago it happened but there's a new(ish?) season of Top Gear up.

Also The Sweeny is an absolutely badass british cop movie and go watch it immediately

• Locked thread