Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I watched Detention because of this thread and I spent a significant portion of the movie frowning subconsciously. This doesn't mean it was bad at all. But neither my girlfriend or I spoke for a whole minute after the credits started rolling, just to process what exactly had gone on. :stare: indeed.

I like the theory that calling it any kind of 'horror' film is a totally incorrect description - actually, it's a mashup of almost every possible teen movie story (Riley's either Sixteen Candles or a teen slasher protagonist, Clapton Davis is a Ferris Bueller type, the guy in detention for so long is part Donnie Darko, Ione is Freaky Friday) and they all just happen to be going to the same high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I've been told that Snowpiercer the movie is different in most plot aspects beyond the initial premise from Snowpiercer the graphic novel, so you won't be getting anything extra from having read it.

I think their costuming and props department did a really good job. Like, just from the way the characters talk about their food bars and the way it looks on screen, I can tell what it tastes like.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Deadite posted:

I too have a question about Snowpiercer, but not about the ending. Why did the guards with the axes cut the fish before fighting? Is that some kind of South Korean thing I don't get as an American? It was just bizarre and didn't seem to have a point.

Visual metaphor. "We're going to gut you like a fish."

• Locked thread