Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Splaa posted:

Yea i'm not saying it waas the greatest movie ever, but it's at least something different and interesting that would otherwise be totally overlooked.

It was amazing how much they over sold the nudity in the movie (I mean the only reason me and my roomie even started watching it was due to the topless female on the cover), but then actually watching the movie I'm greeted with a whiny British kid who uses his time stopping ability to ummmm I suppose draw people. It really made me think he was just living out his rape fantasies and being a general douche, but hey, he gets the girl in the end and it was a rom-com.....so I guess it's justified?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

To keep on the path of interesting Korean movies on Netflix, I caught one last night called R-Point and it was pretty well done. It also had a fairly interesting setting in that it was during the Vietnam War but with Koreans helping to fight off the VC, but the main meat of the story was that they had received a troubling radio call from a missing unit and they send a search team to go find the missing unit. Except that the place they are sent, R-Point, is apparently cursed with the blood of a bunch of dead Vietnamese who were killed by Chinese and the dead there don't take kindly to people with blood on their hands. It was a genuinely creepy film and actually had really good production values, so catch it if you can.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Does anyone know of any really good horror movies available for instant steaming?

Such as the one I made two posts up.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

wormil posted:

It pays homage to many other zombie classics along the way. Good to know that all the hot girls survive the apocalypse and that they choose to be scantily clad, still no character is marginalized, each play a role. I plowed through all 12 episodes and look forward to more.
Well there's always the uncomfortable OVA where they go to a deserted island, change into bikinis and two of the female characters make out while the lead male character almost gets bitten while making out with two zombies. Also has anyone noticed the increase in giallos they've been putting up on Netflix? Between the random bits of Argento and Fulci (especially 'New York Ripper' and it's quacking serial killer) most of the films are at least somewhat enjoyable as being very confusing European thrillers.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

It looks like The Trip just got added and if you like Steve Coogan then you'll love the movie. Hell, if you like food, awkward interactions, and impersonations then you'll love the movie. It's got something for everyone.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

particle409 posted:

Yeah, I just watched some episodes of Warehouse 13. I thought it might be like that Sanctuary show, but it's actually pretty good and not focused on terrible plot/characters or bad cgi. I'll finish Warehouse 13, and then give Farscape a shot. I watched the first 2 seasons of Merlin, it's ok, I'm not in love with it.
Yea, I've been working my way though Warehouse 13 as well and I sure they can not pull off an ending. It always ends up being some incredibly stupid idea that works and it ruins the fun of the show (which works a lot of the time due to the two main characters).

If you're in the mood for cheesy bullshit it seems like they just added One Eyed Monster and it's about Ron Jeremy's detached, possessed penis murdering people in an isolated cabin. It had a few funny moments but it was mostly just stupid and worth watching drunk.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Medullah posted:

Kevin Smith's new movie Red State just popped up on instant stream. That's weird, I didn't even think it was on DVD yet.
Sweet, that gives me something to watch later (especially after hearing the synopsis and realizing how amazingly stupid it sounded). Also it seems like Paranormal Activity 2 got added fairly recently as well and I'd say if liked the first one then this is more of the same though it ends up starting out even more slowly.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

It seems that both Black Books and Spaced are now on Instant. So if you enjoy some entertaining British comedy then I'd say definitely check those out. I honestly didn't know that the same guy created Father Ted, Black Books, and the IT Crowd.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

casual poster posted:

What is this show? The cover is a rip off of Tremors, but, with a dog? It's either some really lovely horror with terrier dogs (the cutest dogs) or some comedy with a weird premise. The description netflix gives tells me nothing. Basically, is it Tremors with dogs? Cause if it is I'm not watching it.
I associate it a lot with a show like Burn Notice or Psych; there are bits of comedy, bits of drama, and a lot of character interaction. A recovering alcoholic ex-cop and his ex thief partner are PI's that help their clients with their problems which always end up being much larger problems. Most of what I enjoy about the show is the interaction between the two main characters and their banter.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

InterwebzRN posted:

The Rocky Horror Picture Show wannabe-ness is accurate and glaringly obvious which is why I liked it, it was so bad it was funny.
Instead of watching Repo to see an attempt at ironic awfulness you all should try watching The Apple in it's place. It's kind of a Christian disco rock opera made after disco was popular and ummmm it's wonderful in an utterly lovely way. Especially the efforts at making it a valid Christian allegory mixed into a dystopian disco future.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

MrDingleDangle posted:

I hate to be that guy, but I am watching the first episode of peep show, does the camera work continue like this? I really dislike it
Do you mean is the entire show shot from a first person perspective? Then yes, that's kind of the point of the show and what I thought was the point in the show's title. I've also got to say Portlandia is a very mixed bag; while I do find some of it funny, the entire idea of ripping on hipsters just runs out of steam quickly. I do love the guest stars though and the awkward comedy present, but when it's trying to point out that hipsters are douches then I just kinda shrug.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Juriko posted:

Oh it definitely has a lot of hipster sketches, but from your tone I thought you were implying that's all the show does. I know a number of people that basically refer to liberal anything as "hipster," so I thought you were conflating the two.
Yea, I guess it would have been better to say 'counter-culture' behavior but it's honestly easier now just to say hipster as a blanket term for what early 20-something's do on their exodus to Portland. And being relatively outside Los Angeles, Portland is basically seen as a place to escape LA while still getting some of artsy culture just at semi cheaper prices. Pretty much how that opening song about Portland being in the 90's and how it's a retirement community for 20 year olds. But tangent aside The Ward (John Carpenter's latest movie) actually wasn't too bad; not great by any stretch by in comparison to most of the current direct to DVD horror on Netflix, it's pretty good.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Liku posted:

Well, that's the point. It's a fan service anime, 100%.
I'd almost agree that it was just fan-service but then panty shots get intermingled with being getting savagely mauled by zombies....and then it just goes out of fanservice into something much more horrible. Additionally, I highly recommend people stay away from Queen's Blade on Netflix because well....it's worse.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

RedneckwithGuns posted:

While there's only 10 episodes across the two series available, Luther owns. I don't know what the goon opinion of this show has been, but I've been enjoying the hell out of it.
It's a wonderful parody of a cop show, but I can't really take it seriously. Watching him destroy his office, or stalk his wife, while befriending a murderer (whom he convinced himself initially of their guilt because of a lacking yawning and who he doesn't turn in even with the evidence available to him)....gently caress, it has to be a comedy, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

John Dies at the End got added recently and it was a pretty fun romp (though I'd say not to go in expecting exactly what happened in the book).

• Locked thread