Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
There is a awesome Stella live performance. I've seen it many times and still crack up. Also all seasons of the office are on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

SKEET SKEET posted:

Restrepo - Awesome documentary following a company of Army (rangers?) through a year of their service in the Korengol valley in Afghanistan. Pretty surreal and visceral. Definitely something you should watch if the experience of an infantryman in Afghanistan is of any interest to you.

This movie was a awesome watch, glad someone posted it or else I would of skipped over it entirely.

I recommend Black Dynamite. Great parody of blaxplotation films with awesome writing.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Thank you to the person who recommended Archer, its a great show!

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

A Nice Boy posted:

Easy A was just added. It's fluff, but it's amusing and surprisingly well written, and Emma Stone. Mmmm. Anyway, chalk it up on the "wow, I can't believe how much better this movie is than the previews made it out be" list.

Seconding this. It's really well written with some background jokes you don't pick up on the first time through.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Just noticed today that all 7 episodes of Michael and Michael Have Issues is available. If you liked Stella (which is also available) give this a shot.
Also I'm almost done watching Party Down, good show, thanks for recommending it.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Somebody recommended Takers on here earlier and I just finished watching it, its a pretty good heist film, definitely worth checking out.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Does anyone know when they might add newer seasons to the office and 30 rock? I know both of them have atleast 1 season that isn't on there yet.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
With all these great instant titles I haven't had time to watch the actual dvd's netflix has been sending me.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Jibo posted:

VVV A lot of shows are available for free on various websites but a lot of people (myself included) hate sitting around the computer to watch TV.

Wait a minute, are you saying huluplus can we watched from your tv?! Can I set it up on my ps3? I would get that so fast.

feedmyleg posted:

Chalk me up as another who hasn't watched a Netflix DVD in ages. I think The Kids Are Alright has been sitting on my bedside table for about 2 months.

Definitely give that movie a shot, its really good.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Sometimes I just send my movie back even if I haven't watched it yet, just to, you know, get something else that I won't watch.

Definitely going to try hulu+ on my ps3 though.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Holy crap, their bandwidth bills must be incredible.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
A while back someone mentioned that Oldboy (a great film btw) is part of a pseudo-trilogy created by the director for the revenge genre. Does anyone know the other two titles? I think Lady Vengeance was one of them.

Also, I Saw The Devil was a great film, I wasn't really expecting the level they took it too.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

radiatinglines posted:

I tried watching the others on netflix, but they were cropped wrong or something and the subtitles were cut off. Also, the quality was pretty bad in general.

Yeah I'm watching Lady Vengeance now and the subtitles have one on screen and than the next line in the cropper area. It's really annoying when the background of a scene is white.
Thanks for the Korean recommendations.

Btw, is The Host any good?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

jase1 posted:

Did they take Louie season 1 off streaming? I can find it in search but it wont let me play it.

I just watched some episodes 3 nights ago? I'll check again when I get home.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Finished the revenge trilogy today. Oldboy was of course the best out of all of them, than the 3rd than 1st. The 1st and 3rd are a very different type of revenge film than Oldboy. Oldboy had a great story with a good amount of action in it, it takes all of the good parts in Sympathy for Mr.Vengeance and throws it into a better package. With Mr.Vengeance I wasn't even sure who the main character was until more than halfway through.
Eh, I'm just gonna have to sleep on it and see if my mind changes. Oldboy was definitely the best though.
Watching Ip Man 2 now, just like the first.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Just got the email saying they were splitting the DVD-at-home and streaming services, this sucks but I can't say I didn't see it coming. It's not really even a tough choice, of course I'm going to go with the streaming option.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
The Man from Nowhere - Wow, I have never 5'd a movie so fast. This movie is great. Generic, yes (guy goes after people who took his "daughter"), but extremely well executed. Great actors and choreography. Someone recommend me more korean movies to watch.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Zwabu posted:

I just watched I Saw The Devil on Netflix Streaming and was pretty impressed. I thought it was rather too long and over the top, kind of wears out its welcome by the finale in my opinion, but the first third of it is like the tightest most intense serial killer movie ever.

Cinematography is top notch, crisp and beautiful.

Korean cinema really has some serious mojo going on right now. I'm interested in watching any notable Korean films too.

I saw the Devil was a excellent film. The scene in the taxi where he stabs the two guys was so intense.
Their not korean, but check out: Oldboy (the other 2 films in his "revenge" trilogy aren't that great, but if you really like oldboy than check them out), and Ip Man 1&2 (about the guy who taught Bruce Lee, great martial arts film). Other movies you may like that I haven't checked out yet are Thirst, Mother, The Host, and chaser.

Does anyone have any anime recommendations? They have a huge selection but most of it just seems like your average crap. Gurren Lagaan is on there, which is one of the best series I've ever watched.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Zwabu posted:

Oldboy is in fact Korean. In fact, as I understand it, the "Oldboy" actor is the villain in I Saw the Devil.
Hmm, I can only really tell what language it is if I see the writing. I'm not good at picking up on sound.

Does anyone know how I can contact customer service? I want to change my plan to 2 dvds at a time before they change the plans around, I went to the change your plan page but they only have options for the new plans (streaming OR dvd-at-home). I'm not able to call them cause I'll be at work.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

HamSmoothie posted:

I'm not angry but I am disappointed that there isn't a bundle option that gives a discount for having both streaming and dvd's or a grandfather discount for long-time subscribers.
I'm definitely feeling the same way. I've been with them since around the beginning and have never canceled or put my account on hold. I'd be glad to give them more money if they asked, but doubling my rate is just going to piss me off and is going to make them lose potential money.
However, they know that they are the only caterer to the streaming/dvd-through-mail market so they know they can get away with crap like this. Kind of ticks me off, but its not going to make me leave (where would I go?).

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Just to all of you guys who are asking about Korean movies (myself included) theres a CD thread that has recommendations in it. Definitely check it out.

EDIT: link

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
The Fighter is on there, great movie. I'm surprised such a big movie got put on there so fast.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Better Off Ted is a pretty good show, written well. Thanks for whoever recommended it. Now time to watch Mad Men.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for shows like Parks & Recreation, 30 Rock, or the IT Crowd?
Check out Better Off Ted, great show in a office setting.

I watched Hobo With a Shotgun last night and it was pretty hilarious. Over the top violence and weird one liners galore. Definitely worth checking out.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Xandu posted:

The first one is pretty good, not great. The 2nd and 3rd movies are terrible, however.

I enjoyed them. They go deeper into the main characters background and whatnot, if you really liked the first one give the rest a try.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Batui posted:

As for other movies, I thought I'd recommend two really good movies with a goon as the protagonist. Buffalo '66 stars Vincent Gallo as a man recently released from prison, who kidnaps Christina Ricci and has her pose as his wife for his parents and then go on a date with him, all without realizing that she might actually like him (probably because he constantly orders her around and shuts her up whenever she's expressing her own thoughts).

Before I saw this movie I read a interview with Christina Ricci and in it she said that Gallo was a rear end in a top hat throughout the entire filming, calling her fat and saying she was a horrible actor. Basically he acted just like he does in the movie. Knowing that just completely ruined the movie for me.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

zoux posted:

If you go to streamingsoon, it says there are only going to be four titles added in the next month. Is the site wrong, or are Netflix seriously cutting down on the number of titles they are adding to WI?

I wouldn't be surprised. Earlier (however it may just be speculation) people were talking about companies raising the price of the licenses they sell netflix to stream their movies. This could just be the time it effects us.
Comes at a lovely time though, the plan changes take effect next month.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Narwhale posted:

(not sure who gets 2 and who gets more than 2)

Basically it says that if you have 1-disc-at-home/stream that you get 1 device, 2-discs-at-home is 2 device, etc etc.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Narwhale posted:

It also says at least 2 at a time, so I guess 1 gets 2, 2 gets 2, 3 gets 3 and so on. So on? Does Netflix have an option for more than 3 discs at a time?

Here's a thing on the page from the netflix TOS:

quote:

Some membership plans allow you to watch simultaneously on more than one personal computer or Netflix ready device at the same time. If you are on the 1 disc out at-a-time plan [or stream-only plan], you may watch only one device at a time. If you are on the 2 discs out at-a-time plan, you may watch on up to two devices at the same time. Members on the 3 disc plan can watch on up to three devices. The maximum is four devices simultaneously, and that is available for members on the 4 or greater discs out at-a-time plans.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Narwhale posted:

Breaking Bad Seasons 1-3 are now up. Please watch it as soon as possible.

Oh sweet this just made my day!

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

SuperLobster posted:

Not to steer the conversation back to anime, but any opinions on the Now and Then, Here and There series? My types of anime would include Cowboy Bebop/Samurai Champloo. From the trailer on Netflix they make the show seem somewhat serious.

Never seen it myself, but from what I've heard it is a extremely depressing anime. Very serious.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Running Wilde is on there, pretty good show about a environmentalist moving in with a superficial heir to a oil company. Stars Will Arnett and Charlize Theron (I think), it has some good writing, good characters, and some funny running gags.
Also, David Cross is in the first few episodes.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I'm sure netflix sucked in its upstart, just like gamefly does. Gamefly only has a handful of locations across the US whereas netflix has a couple thousand.
However this is all just speculation and I could be wrong.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I don't know what it is, but everytime netflix uploads a new season of 30 rock I seem to get a cold, and just plow through it in a day. Whats great is that I'm usually in and out of sleep so I can go back and rewatch it and still find new things.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Joe Der Maus posted:

They're spinning it off into its own company called Capster.

Hahaha

For those of you who are more interested in the Indie movies on netflix, someone started a thread in CD: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442155

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Street Thief is out and its a awesome movie. It's a fake documentary (I forget the term for it) that follows around a low level thief. It really builds tension and the main character is put together nicely as a paranoid person. Give it a shot.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

Also Insidious was pretty meh even though so many people insisted that I watch it. I'm a horror movie junkie so it would have come around eventually but I felt pretty underwhelmed. It wasn't the worst thing I've seen but it did not live up to the hype at all.

When you see the actual ghost, I just lost my poo poo. I don't even know if I should spoiler this, but the dude looks like darth maul! And the way they tried to write jokes into the movie (the 2 "ghostbuster" dudes) was just ridiculous.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Watched the wonderful whites (I think I messed up the title). I think its cause its produced by dickhouse, but I went into this show expecting it to be like jackass, with the White family performing stupid stunts around town just to grab attention. Boy was I surprised. First off, their entitlement issues are just astounding, talking about how they deserve the SS checks they get in the mail every month, get out of here with that poo poo. 2nd, they talk about addiction like it ain't no thing. Sharing pills with their kids and all that. I am so happy they took that one ladies baby away. She was snorting pills in the hospital room with the baby only a few feet away.
The sad part was at the end, when you see the grandchildren smoking cigarettes. drat those people.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Utter Amnesty posted:

Terriers just became available on Netflix. Definitely worth checking out. It's a shame it was canceled early but sometimes I don't mind just having a single season worth of television. I haven't watched the last few, though, so I hope there is no awful cliffhanger.

What is this show? The cover is a rip off of Tremors, but, with a dog? It's either some really lovely horror with terrier dogs (the cutest dogs) or some comedy with a weird premise. The description netflix gives tells me nothing. Basically, is it Tremors with dogs? Cause if it is I'm not watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

The second season isn't terrible, but it's nowhere near as good as the first season. The series also has a poo poo and completely unfulfilling ending.

The writing seems to get more serious in the 2nd season, there's more drama between the two leads (I forget their names, it was awhile ago) but some of it is just a set up for some jokes/the episode. Great show though.

Portlandia is my new favorite show. Thank you to whoever mentioned it.

• Locked thread