Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I watched Sherlock on PBS a few months ago...

Martin Freeman as Watson is easily the best of any series or movie. I also like the sociopathic nature of Holmes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Chinaski posted:

I started watching the 2005 Dr Who series. Am I correct in thinking that the show also had another "new" series since then?

There have been two spin-offs, Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures but I suspect you are referring to...

The Doctor occasionally "dies" and regenerates with a new appearance and a new actor will take place of the old. In the 2005+ series there have been three doctors, Chris Eccleston, David Tennant and Matt Smith.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anime is not really my thing and this isn't a movie but it popped up in my recommended list so I watched and liked it...

Speed Grapher
http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Speed_Grapher/70050135?trkid=496624&fcld=true

It's 24 episodes with one storyline, about a photographer who meets a girl who can make some people's innermost desire come true. The less said the better, but the first two episodes end with the same climax told from two viewpoints which I don't remember any other tv show doing. From there it's up and down but it kept me engaged.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

DEAR RICHARD posted:

This movie was way too meta for me to handle. It came across as if it were smug about how meta it was.
re: Rubber
Felt the same. It would have been much better as a regular 'ol tongue in cheek horror.

WeWereSchizo posted:

Grab your mustache combs and your Foghat tapes, because The Good Guys is now available on Netflix Instant! Let's bust some punks.

Love that show, bummer it was cancelled.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

screenwritersblues posted:

2) people spamming the page with the same thing over and over again. Yes, we get the point that you angry about this, but stop being a dick about it.
Some of the comments by different people are so similar it makes me wonder if it isn't a bunch of desperate Blockbuster employees. Especially since every fifth comment is a link to the Blockbuster deal for Netflix users.

I think it's silly that people would express so much anger over something so trivial.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

particle409 posted:

I tried watching some of the Stargate series. There's a few of them up, are any of them good? I watched 3 full episodes of the one with MacGyver, and it's terrible. I've been trying to watch SG: Universe, but it's not much better.

SG1 and SGU are the two best. SG: Atlantis is terrible unless you like plots that go nowhere, poorly written (and sometimes forgotten) characters, Milquetoast leading men, and bad guys that are just charismatic jerks (although SGI had the latter two in spades toward the end). SG1 was okay because I watched it pretty much from the beginning and by the time my tastes matured I was already hooked. SGU was well written and well acted (comparatively to most SF series) and I never really understood why people hated it although it is bleak and the polar opposite of the previous series.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Zwabu posted:

How is this different from, or similar to, Scanners?
They are both cheesy and low budget but Rubber is smugly self aware and has little plot and makes no sense for no reason. I didn't hate it nor enjoy it although it has moments.

Content: The Bad Lieutenant w/ Nicholas Cage is up and I found it entertaining. It's a Herzog crime/drama about a cop that dates a hooker, steals, extorts, snorts coke, pisses off the mob, his bosses and politically connected businessmen while trying to solve several crimes. The plot meanders (intentionally), things get weird when he starts hallucinating, and everything is not answered overtly so that may put some people off.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Bad-Lieutenant-Port-of-Call-New-Orleans/70118398

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Might be obvious and I'm missing it but where does it say whether the movie is in HD if you're browsing on a PC?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Lurkman posted:

Ronin is available in HD. I think it's a fun movie overall, good car chase scenes with engine noises that make me feel all funny inside.

I love Ronin. I find it interesting that Ebert's main criticism was that the movie has no plot but it does of course have two plots and switches them up, then there is the love story which is not cheesy nor overpowering but believable, like the characters, and nestles right into the story. The acting is excellent, the car chase is among the best and there is never a dull moment. I can't wait to watch it again but now in HD.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Just watched Hunter Prey. As the title suggests it is not very original or imaginative but does have it's moments. It borrows heavily from several greater movies, Star Wars and Enemy Mine are most prominent and there are several nods to each in the dialogue. This is a low, low, budget sci-fi movie but the cinematography, make-up and props are all well done. Some of the dialogue is awful but not enough to really hurt, mostly the writer is relying on military stereotypes rather than portraying soldiers realistically. Erin Grey (Wilma from Buck Rogers) lends her voice to the soldier's computer.

A prisoner transport crash lands on an uncharted planet (those pesky things) and the surviving crew is ordered to recapture the escaped prisoner but they quickly realize he is hunting them. More than that spoils the plot.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

casual poster posted:

I watched Hobo With a Shotgun last night and it was pretty hilarious. Over the top violence and weird one liners galore. Definitely worth checking out.

How did this not show up in my recommendations... moved to the top of my queue.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Elijya posted:

Sure, it's got the generic reality show host...

He's a Texas copy of Jeff Probst, which isn't necessarily bad and fits the show's frequent western themes. Agree though, Top Shot is a good show. Season 3 just started airing and they corrected one of the big mistakes of season 2: too many ex-military. The best part, as you mention, is that the interactions are real and usually not junior-high style drama.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Hobo with a Shotgun was a winner. I was surprised there was some interesting social commentary like Rutger's scene with the babies. Loved how the violence wasn't reserved just for bad or ugly people, everybody got some.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo I'm struggling with. About 2/3, maybe less, through it and while it is well made and well acted, the story doesn't interest me. I'm not getting into the mystery enough to care what happened to the girl; nor can I relate to either of the main characters. Is it worth sticking with until the end?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

GeneralFai posted:

I saw I Love You Phillip Morris mentioned earlier. There was a disclaimer at the end that mentioned that it was a dramatization of real events. How much of what happened in the film really occurred?

Until the wiki link I thought this was a documentary about cigarettes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

particle409 posted:

I just started the first episode of Star Trek: Enterprise. The intro music is some weird, slow, country-type bullshit. Is this indicative of the quality of the rest of the show?

No, it's the best part of the show. It goes downhill from there. It is literally the worst television show I've ever watched and I'm a Trek fan. The acting is abysmal, the continuity is non-existent and many important events happen off-screen, plus it's time travel stories all the way. In a Mirror, Darkly (1&2) were the best episodes and probably the only ones worth watching. On a positive note, I liked that the Andorians were a key race in the series and Jolene Blalock actually did well as a Vulcan.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Aphrodite posted:

The miniseries that begins it is about as good as it gets, so if you're not in to it now you won't be later.

No, the miniseries was padded considerably, outside the last season it's the weakest of the the show. Season two and three are the strongest with the latter being among the best television I've ever seen. But yeah, if Raskolnikov2089 is not into it by season two, he never will be.

Most of the Starz movies I've seen are really terrible quality anyway.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Saint Sputnik posted:

Was in the mood for another bad movie so I found Carriers - but it's actually really good. Got Chris Pine and Piper Parabo, and it's basically a "on the run from zombies" road movie except people are just sick, not undead.

I watched this last year. I seem to remember having a few issues with it but overall I was entertained.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I bought the complete series of Farscape... about one week before it went on Netflix. I'm in season 3 and still haven't cracked open the dvd set.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Zwabu posted:

... the guy's whole family are such insufferable twats. They are a little too much like caricatures when White himself is such an awesome character. I like his partner but he looks and sounds a little too much like Jason Mewes for my taste.

All the characters have periods where they are unlikable, even Walter. Few of them are the same through the seasons. It's not a feel-good show except for rare moments.

red19fire posted:

Does anyone else have audio problems?

Fairly rarely. I had terrible problems with Earth 2 for several days, reported it, and it disappeared within about 24 hours. Don't know if they fixed it or it was just coincidence. Yesterday I had some loud pops and distortions like feedback on Farscape, first time I've had any significant problems with that show.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Gakuen mokushiroku: Highschool of the dead is up, not sure how long but it just showed up in my recommendations. I watched one episode. It's basically Dawn of the Dead '04 in a Japanese high school with lots and lots of gratuitous panty shots and bouncing boobies, other than that it was pretty decent. It's rated highly enough for me to watch a few episodes and see if I like it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Death Dealer posted:

Having watched half of the show in a day, I can say the show is pretty good, and the Dawn of the Dead similarities keep coming. Though if the gratuitous panty shots and bouncing breasts were making you reconsider, it only keeps going. Plus one episode which is basically the equivalent of a "Hot Springs" episode of a lot of other anime.

It pays homage to many other zombie classics along the way. Good to know that all the hot girls survive the apocalypse and that they choose to be scantily clad, still no character is marginalized, each play a role. I plowed through all 12 episodes and look forward to more.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Captain Lavender posted:

I got the impression by the reviews that this would be different from 'just another derivative anime'

I've only watched a little anime so maybe that works to my benefit. I've seen Ghost in the Shell, Speed Grapher and this in entirety, Speed Racer if that counts. I've watched bits of pieces of other things but they pretty much all sucked.

Captain Lavender posted:

In fact, if you're a fan of zombie stories, the anime-ness of this actually ruins the coolness entirely.

I disagree. It paid it's homages and stuck to the basic concept of 'run your rear end off and nowhere is safe' that is the bread and butter of zombie fiction. There is some minor character development and every character ends up contributing to their survival which reinforces that none of them survived by accident. It doesn't have that super-chaotic, "I have no loving idea what is going on" factor that I've experienced with a lot of the anime shows I've tried to watch and hated.

On the downside, the character art is very generic and almost all the girls are nearly identical. The main male character is of course handsome and his harem of girls fight over him and constantly try to seduce him. He is something of a milquetoast in the beginning but thankfully doesn't stay that way. Ultimately it's a cartoon and I didn't have high expectations to begin with.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Announced yesterday, Netflix DVD service will be renamed Qwickster and will be a separate service/website from Netflix which will be streaming only. Qwickster will be adding video games as an option for an extra fee. No other price changes planned.

http://blog.netflix.com/

edit: thanks
VVVVVVVVVVVV

wormil has a new favorite as of 08:16 on Sep 19, 2011

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Also, this puts them in a bad light:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/294246-netflix-versus-the-sec

I really like the streaming service and hope the company doesn't implode.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
A few pages back I mentioned Undead or Alive, a slapstick western zombie comedy. Well I finally watched beyond the first 15 minutes and I would highly recommend it to anyone who even thinks they might like it. It was written by one of the South Park writers and so the dialog and situations are funny without falling into horror movie cliches.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Captain Lavender posted:

By the way, I keep seeing Psych recommended, but I didn't like the premise or main character at all. I liked Monk, and this feels similar, but I wasn't entertained at all.

Does it pick up, or is this one of those shows that I should know by the first episode if I want to keep watching?

There isn't much character development so if you dislike the first episode, chances are you won't like the rest any better although the show does improve through the first season. So you might watch another episode or two and find out. Conversely, I love Psych but never cared for Monk.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Sir Berserksalot posted:

Lo - Unique movie about a lost love and demons. Does a lot with just a little.

Lo is a weird loving movie but I really liked it. The budget must have been microscopic but they really made the most of it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Jibo posted:

Can anyone tell me from the perspective of someone who thinks that zombies have kind of gotten played out recently, how good The Walking Dead is?

It's the survivor's story and zombies are the backdrop. As a drama the writing and acting were a little uneven and some plot elements were :wtf: but the series has potential. I would say it's even keel with something like Sons of Anarchy but well below Breaking Bad or Dexter. The source material's strengths are brutality and realistic interactions but has terrible writing and illustration. The comic also has a high body count which I hope will transfer over to the series but I'm not holding my breath.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
For anyone that hasn't heard yet, Netflix changed their mind about splitting off the dvd portion of their business. Qwikster or whatever it was called, is not to be.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

particle409 posted:

Has anybody watched Lexx? It got mixed reviews on Netflix. Is it worth sticking with, or is it just a bad, cheesy sci-fi show?

I've only seen the first 4 episodes. The first is the best, quality goes downhill from there but it was mildly entertaining. There is a lot of sexual innuendo but I would describe it as humorous, but I guess that depends on how you feel about sex. It was toned down in eps 2-4. I keep meaning to watch season two to see how it turned out after Zev became Xev.

Edit: Nip/Tuck is there, I've only watched a few but enjoyed them. Earth 2 is a pretty good series although it ends rather abruptly. Farscape is good if you haven't seen it.

wormil has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Oct 15, 2011

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

particle409 posted:

Yeah, I just watched some episodes of Warehouse 13. I thought it might be like that Sanctuary show, but it's actually pretty good and not focused on terrible plot/characters or bad cgi. I'll finish Warehouse 13, and then give Farscape a shot. I watched the first 2 seasons of Merlin, it's ok, I'm not in love with it.

The main characters in W13 get watered-down and cliche ridden fairly quickly. Myka goes from tough to sensitive really fast. Joanne Kelly also over-acts to the point of being annoying. The writing is lazy and relies on Pete and Myka making all sorts of dumb mistakes to move the plot. I watch it with my kids otherwise I wouldn't watch it at all.

Farscape is the complete opposite... great writing and lots of character development. One warning though, season one starts good but turns awful halfway through. You might be tempted to give up but things improve considerably with season two and it becomes one long storyline from there with some episodic content.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Watched an animated web/tv series called Afterworld, only the first 13 episodes are on Netflix but the whole thing is on YouTube. It's very contrived but fun to watch if you like post-apocalyptic stuff. Basically something happens and 99% of all people just disappear and all technology stops working. Russel Shoemaker is an advertising guy in New York on business when the event happens. The first 13 episodes are him working his way back to Seattle to check on his wife and kid while he chronicles changes to the Earth, society and finds clues to what caused the mysterious downfall. The basic mystery is solved within 13 episodes but lingering mysteries and details remain which I assume are answered in the webisodes on YouTube (haven't watched those yet). The animation may not be for everyone, it's mostly still pictures and barely animated scenes with one live-action video clip. If you think of it as an audiobook with pictures, it's less annoying.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Afterworld/70217323?trkid=4213507

[edit: apparently the 13 episodes on Netflix are all that was made]

wormil has a new favorite as of 06:46 on Nov 9, 2011

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Steal, starring Stephen Dorff and Natasha Henstridge is a fun Heist movie about a group of daredevils (extreme sports enthusiasts) who pull a series of robberies and are beset by various interests who wish to exploit their talents. Worth seeing for the original opening chase scene along with some excellent vehicle stunts especially considering the fairly low budget.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Steal/70012570?trkid=1996865

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Zwabu posted:

Didn't this movie used to be called Point Break?

Yep, there are more differences than similarities but it was budget movie and they did an impressive job with the vehicle stunts and initial chase scene considering.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

mds2 posted:

I must be the only one that didn't like Insidious.

Nope, I found it boring and didn't even finish it. But then I'm not into ghost stories. I know it wasn't technically a ghost.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

What the gently caress. Netflix was awesome to navigate on 360. Now it sucks hard. gently caress you microsoft. Bitch.

I like it. Quicker and now has descriptions.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

You're out of your mind. Try navigating one of the SNL dvd's. There aren't titles so I have to scroll through literally 5 pictures at a time out of 200 something to find the host. You know, because there is no episode title text.

The title text is the same as before, it's just not in a list form but if you're looking for a particular host I can see how that would suck. Luckily my computer is in the same room so it wouldn't matter to me plus I generally watch shows in order.

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

It also doesn't show which episodes I have already seen.

Mine is showing which episodes I've seen. There is a red bar under the episode that shows how much you've watched. When I pulled up SNL 70's it actually started autoplaying where I left off before the update. Admittedly I'd rather it didn't autoplay but it's just different, I'll get used to it quick enough. Incidentally you can use the chapter skip buttons or whatever they're called to jump 5 at a time.

Evil Badman posted:

Try to do a Party viewing of anything on Netflix. I'll wait.

I've never done that but it sounds fun for the right movie or show. I'm guessing it doesn't work now? Or it just didn't work while the servers were being hammered by people downloading the update? There were a lot of features last night that were unavailable.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Hogfather has been up for a few days at least, my favorite non-traditional Christmas movie.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Hogfather/70213200?trkid=496624

Death's speech at the end about believing little lies so that we can later believe in bigger lies like Justice, Mercy and Duty is outlandish and thought provoking.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

casual poster posted:

The description netflix gives tells me nothing.

Basically it was a well acted show about nothing. The characters held promise but turned out uninteresting. It was no surprise it was cancelled. I lost interest after four episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Utter Amnesty posted:

Well, I'm not going to argue there are huge overarching themes like in Breaking Bad or Deadwood or something, but it's kind of like Justified in that there's a "crime story of the week" with a season long threat that comes in and out of the story. The overall crime plot starts to unravel a little when I think about it but it was enjoyable season of television.

Well each episode of Justified plays into the seasonal/series story. With Terriers I didn't get that there was any plot or direction to the characters. To be fair, I almost quit Justified after the first few episodes because it had the same problem but it had interesting characters to pull it through those episodes. Don't get me wrong, I can see the appeal of Terrier but I it had a lot of unrealized potential.

• Locked thread