Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Does anyone know why Clone High isn't available on Netflix at all? It doesn't even come up in a search on the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Sock The Great posted:

Was this even released on DVD in the US? I thought it was only released in Canada?

You're right, it was only released in Canada. I had heard good things about this show but now the effort it would take to find the DVDs is greater than my interest in watching them.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Dacap posted:

Rare Exports is on Instant, watch that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YodA-4kRfKs

I just finished watching this movie and it is very entertaining. I did not expect that ending.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I'm halfway through Queen of Versailles and it's crazy. If you like documentaries check it out.

Even if you don't like documentaries it is worth it to see how these filthy rich people act when the money disappears.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

AGirlWonder posted:

I watched it tonight after checking this thread, and while there's a lot of "Holy poo poo, this family," I think the wife (in particular) came across as sympathetic. Not so much the husband, but the wife and a few of the kids seemed normal, especially by the end.

I thought the adult son that they talked to was the most sympathetic. Him describing his relationship with his dad and the stunts his dad pulled while he was growing up was just sad.

Of course he loses a little sympathy be telling time-share salesmen that they are just as much a lifesaver as doctors and firemen.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Sock The Great posted:

I believe The Art of the Steal is still available on Netflix. Definitely one of the best docs I've ever seen.

Art of the Steal is a great documentary while being a real downer at the same time. I don't think it's on instant, but American Movie is one of my favorite documentaries to watch for entertainment.

The Aphasian posted:

I saw The Innkeepers last night. Decent throwback startle-scare based ghost movie. Weird thing for me to focus on, but the actors all did a great job of seeming like real people without resorting to that mumblecore nonsense. Just like how I left the theater after Paranormal Activity (the original, sadly only 2 and 3 are on instant) raving about how that was the most realistic couple dynamic I've seen on film in a long time.

Have you seen House of the Devil? It's by the same director and it's on instant. I like Innkeepers but House of the Devil is a much better movie.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Alterian posted:

I think the saddest part of that movie was the Christmas part. The mom buys all those souless gifts from walmart for all her kids with no real thought put into it and its all junk and crap while she sits there eating her caviar.

I love the scene where the nanny is bringing the new bikes into the house and she walks in to the garage that already has about 50 bikes inside. That mom was crazy and it's depressing because she clearly was a real, down-to-earth person earlier in her life.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

10 Beers posted:

If it helps your decision, Peep Show and Mitchell and Webb Look are pretty different styles of humor.

Yeah, I had just the opposite reaction to the two shows. Peep Show makes me laugh so hard I can't breathe, but That Mitchell and Webb Look just isn't that funny to me.

Still funny, but it is a different style of humor than Peep Show.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Has anyone watched Holy Motors yet? I have seen it on some best-of lists for 2012 and I'm interested in watching it, but reading the comments on Netflix it sounds like the streaming version is censored for some reason. Should I just get the DVD through the mail?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I was scrolling through Netflix today and noticed that The Avengers is now streaming. Was this just added recently? It seems like a big movie to not announce.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
If you haven't watched Evil Ed I strongly suggest you do so if you are a horror comedy fan.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Elguapo posted:

I found the book less depressing, my mind painted a slightly better picture than the movie did...

It has been a while, but in the book doesn't the man watch other travelers roast and eat a baby?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
That is exactly how I felt about John Dies at the End. The first half of that movie is great and then.... what? Visually I enjoyed it though.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
The Thing is a movie you should watch if you like Event Horizon. Same concept where it is set in a very isolated place and the protagonists don't understand what is happening, but John Carpenter is a better horror director.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
So what's the story with the Cartoon Network/Adult Swim stuff? I thought they would be adding more seasons but everything seems limited to season one. Will more seasons be available in the future?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I loved The Innkeepers but I like horror movies that are more about atmosphere than body counts. It's a slow movie but I liked the characters and thought it was a great follow up to House of the Devil, which is probably still streaming too.

Since we're talking horror, can anyone tell me whether Lords of Salem is worth watching? Rob Zombie has been mostly bad at making movies but I am willing to give it a chance.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
But if you're like me and loved Valhalla Rising you will find Only God Forgives to be just as delightful.

Seriously, watch Valhalla Rising.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Has anyone watched The Iceman yet? I don't remember hearing about this movie but based on the cast I am interested.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

User-Friendly posted:

Just watch the interviews with the guy it's based on (I think they were on HBO?) and save yourself the time. They're about a million times more interesting.

That's one of the reasons I was interested, and since it's starring Michael Shannon who can be great in lead roles (see the recommendation for Take Shelter above).

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Sherlock is premiering on PBS next week though, and will probably be available through their site around the same time.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
January 19th at 10 PM. According to PBS.org

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Totally TWISTED posted:

Started watching this last night and so far I would agree with your post; even if I may be biased from loving him in Band of Brothers.

I loved him in Band of Brothers, but then I watched Dreamcatcher and so now I'm neutral.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
This isn't available on instant, but if you guys liked Jesus Camp you should check out Hell House. It's in the same vein as Jesus Camp but about a religious Halloween haunted house.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I watch the 3ds in bed if I don't want to wake my girlfriend. The resolution isn't great but I mostly just watch cartoons like futurama or family guy, so quality doesn't matter much.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

LivesInGrey posted:

Can I get some recommendations for recent-ish (let's say since 2000) paranormal or horror things that aren't shakycam/found footage? Please no vampires/werewolves/other monsters unless there's something really interesting about the way they're shown. The same goes for slasher/serial killer films. Documentaries about creepy poo poo work too. So do psychological thrillers. I guess I want to watch a movie or show that leaves me wondering what the overall reason for the events is as much as one that scares or unnerves me. I can watch things on Amazon Instant Video too, if they're free for Prime members.

Definitely House of the Devil and You're Next

Also The Innkeepers

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I'd like to recommend the Future War episode of MST3K. Even without the commentary that movie is so bonkers I can't believe it was ever released. It's like some kid's high school project but with dinosaurs and Robert Z'dar

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Yeah, I just meant that even if you aren't a fan of MST3K, Future War is such a bizarre movie on its own that you should check it out. It looks like it was mostly filmed in a warehouse filled with empty boxes.

Edit:I there's seriously a scene with a reporter, and the camera man has a camera that is clearly made out of a cereal box

Deadite has a new favorite as of 20:38 on May 27, 2014

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Yeah, The Innkeepers is a slow burn, which I recognize isn't for everyone. If you like atmosphere over action, The Innkeepers does a great job of giving the viewer an uneasy feeling throughout the movie. I'd compare it to The Changeling, or even Session 9 in that way.

If you like fun slasher-type movies I'd avoid it, and instead watch Slither, because that movie is awesome.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Last Action Hero is up on Netflix, claim YOUR magic ticket to a thrilling good time now!

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
So this just turned up in an unrelated search. I don't know anything about this, but the cast seems interesting at least.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I guess it starts in late August, which makes me wonder why it has such a low rating right now.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Does your wife like The Expendables? Twelve Angry Men is a lot like The Expendables.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
So http://abetterqueue.com has been popping up lately. It's handy so I thought I would share it here

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Opopanax posted:

Sign out and back in again.

I've tried logging in and out a few times, but I still get the same error that says "Unfortunately your account is restricted to streaming only within the 50 United States and its territories. You may still access your account, but you will not be able to play any title." Am I doing something wrong?

It's frustrating because for whatever reason the last episode of Dr. Who is available on UK Netflix but not on American Netflix, but I can't get it to play.

Edit: Nevermind google gave me this answer:

quote:

If you have the DVD option enabled on your US account you might see the following message when changing to a different region:

Watching Instantly Is Not Currently Available For Your Account. Unfortunately your account is restricted to streaming only within the 50 United States and its territories. You may still access your account, but you will not be able to play any title.

The reason is that your account is also used for ordering DVDs. In order to change region you have to disable the DVD option on your account by logging in to their website. Then go to Your Account > Your Plan and deselect the DVD plan.

Deadite has a new favorite as of 02:47 on Aug 14, 2014

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I watched it when it aired on IFC. I liked it, but you need a high tolerance for absurdist humor. I liked Val Kilmer and Michael Sheen's southern accent a lot.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I feel bad for the actors in Trailer Park Boys because I thought they were funny enough to get more parts once their show ended, but instead they all seem cursed to be in TPB forever I guess.

Aside from Ellen Page, obviously

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Bojack Horseman is actually very funny

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I'm only through episode 3, but I love the writing and Will Arnett's voice acting. I think it's (clearly) in the same vein as Duckman, which I loved as a kid. The line about his dad tearing down his treehouse was great: "Instead of hardy Christian nails, i used screws. Which he called fancy jew nails."

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
In P&R do they ever solve the mystery of why they talk directly to the cameras?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
There are four Errol Morris documentaries streaming on Netflix, so watch those.

Especially the Thin Blue Line and Tabloid

• Locked thread