Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Helvetica is a pretty cool documentary, especially if you're in any way associated with design or media. Once you start seeing it everywhere in corporate logos, you have to laugh thinking what these huge companies must have paid for some designer to just sit down and type the company name in some simple default font.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Human Tornada posted:

The Human Tornado

Also, Disco Godfather.

So many classic Rudy Ray quotes after seeing this one.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

bonzaisushi posted:

Love was deep... I felt like it was a movie with a lot of deep meaningful poo poo packed into it but the way it was presented waa so discombobulated i had a hard time following it. Those short interviews that would pop up with people talking about love though really hit me hard. The soundtrack is amazing and really adds a lot to the movie as well (Angels & Airwaves)

If you dig movies like Moon, The fountain, Enter the void, etc you will probably dig this.

Can anyone else recommend movies that are similar? I'm going through a divorce right now and for some reason these deep movies are making me feel better hah.

You may like In the Mood for Love.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Pope Mobile posted:

I watched it the other day. I'm still not sure how to feel about it. After the credits ended, I turned to my dog and said "Well, that certainly was a movie."

What was your dog's opinion?

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
From Wikipedia I found another streaming film based off Sylvia Likens' murder called An American Crime, starring Ellen Page and Catherine Keener. I bet that one is more suitable.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Captain Lavender posted:

God, It's a Disaster was so lovely. I watched it because it had David Cross and Julia Stiles in it. But god... GOD.

Plot is, a group of white people are having a brunch, and it quickly becomes apparent that they're dealing with an end-of-civilization type of catastrophe outside. But the super quirky fuckin twist is that they still spend most of their time talking about their banal bullshit. What a clever twist in the face of a real existential crisis! (fart)

It reminded me of the decent Canadian movie Last Night, which I did enjoy; but this was so bad. Don't watch it, you're welcome.

It's not a twist. It's a comedic premise.

Also, comedy is subjective.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

pizza cat posted:

Can we request TV recommendations?

Try "Bunk" on Netflix. It's a goofy, fake gameshow with comedians as the contestants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Motley posted:

What are we supposed to make of the ending of snowpiercer? ...

How I interpreted the ending of Snowpiercer.

1. Hopeful outlook: They are going to hunt down that god drat bear (and any other lifeforms) and eat like kings!

2. Bleak outlook: After all that poo poo, the last two surviving humans on Earth are literally hurled into an even crueler existence, where they also must contend with large predators, immediately. I prefer this because I think it's funny (and fits the tone of the movie).

substitute has a new favorite as of 05:41 on Nov 7, 2014

• Locked thread