Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Wandering Knitter posted:

Yes. And I can knit a cozy for every single item in that house! :eng101:

Ok, I guess you can come then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Dobermaniac posted:

The house looks amazing. Would you mind taking a few pictures to show the kitchen and living room area? My wife wanted to see how large of an area there was and how the transition looked.

To take these pictures, I stood where the stove is going. Looking southwest.

This door is on the same wall, looking south.

This beam is the only thing between the kitchen and living room.

This is standing in the southwest corner looking to the kitchen.

So there really isn't much of a transition, it's basically like one big room.

Here's my backsplash. I like the smaller tiles.

My lino in the upstairs main bathroom.

In the laundry room. That drain's going to have to be trimmed...

Tile on the tub surround, lino on the floor.

Tile backsplash.

Some of my lights work. Like the ones in my garage :razz:

Awww yeah, look at that cavernous space.

My pressure tank's in, good to know I'll probably have water when I move in.

Look at all that water in the slough at the back. Too bad it'll be gone by august :smith:

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
That's a right fine looking house you've got going on there. Very awesome that you went with a custom design rather than just opting for a modular home of some sort. Overall you seem to be making very good use of the lot space you have available to you by going with the integral garage and second story.

Only thing I might have done differently if it were my house would be to include a proper mudroom (though your garage has pretty of room for an improvised one I suppose) and an exterior man-door on the garage for convenience sake. Hell, considering you have a tractor I don't think it would have been out of line to add a second garage door to the back to allow thru access.

Other than that, props to you for living the dream.

Edit: Oh yeah, was going to mention. You can't drain or fill the wetland bit, but what of deepening/widening it to a proper pond sized swimming hole?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I looked at modulars, believe me. But considering how much it costs to dig a proper basement foundation and hire the crane to dump the bits onto the concrete, it just didn't seem worth it.

There's going to be a gravel driveway of sorts leading around the north side of the house from the garage to the rear and a gravel pad that will extend to the east of the garage. I wanted to be able to use as much of that wall as possible and keeping a door-width area clear so I could get through seemed like a bit of a waste when it will only take 5 seconds to drive around. Plus it would reduce the wall space in the garage too.

In retrospect, a man door would have been a good idea though. I'm regretting not putting that in the garage.

As for the mudroom, well, my parents have one, and it just becomes a junk storage closet. I have a hall closet at least, so I can hang up some coats, and some boots maybe, but that's all there's room for. That's all I wanted, it'll keep me honest and prevent me from storing poo poo I don't need.

I might be able to make the slough bigger, but I bet the local ducks unlimited people wouldn't like me. It might drain the water from the lots adjacent.

Besides, it's big enough to drop a floating chair in there, float around, and get totally hammered in the summer heat.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 23, 2010

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Slung Blade posted:

As for the mudroom, well, my parents have one, and it just becomes a junk storage closet. I have a hall closet at least, so I can hang up some coats, and some boots maybe, but that's all there's room for. That's all I wanted, it'll keep me honest and prevent me from storing poo poo I don't need.

I find it really depends on the size of the mudroom. I live in an old farmhouse and our mudroom is just big enough for our shoes and a little counter space that we keep the crockpot on.

I think it's more handy if you have a lot to people to track mud in. Or kids.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Well, that whole area between the garage and the kitchen is tile floor. The bathroom, the closet, & the little hall.

I think of it as the "back landing" which I guess you could call a mudroom.

(I wanted tile in the whole area so I could come in wearing boots and use the bathroom without marking up the floor.)

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

Well, the main idea of the mudroom is to prevent the stomping of muddy boots across the freshly mopped kitchen floor. But looking at the plans, there's plenty of room in the back right corner of the garage for a bench and some hooks.

As for the man door, that's all-ways a future project for you to consider adding in yourself.

All this looking at house plans reminds me of the set I whipped up in AutoCAD 2k for my Design & Drafting course in high-school. Think I still have them laying around someplace in a portfolio I should dig em out and scan em up to share.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Wandering Knitter posted:

Yes. And I can knit a cozy for every single item in that house! :eng101:

Nevermind in the house, he's having issues with panelling the tractor - can you knit chainmail? :black101:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Cakefool posted:

Nevermind in the house, he's having issues with panelling the tractor - can you knit chainmail? :black101:

Techincally :v:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Oh hey, my hardwood's in :v:

It occurs to me that I've never taken a picture of the small area with actual tile on the floor.

Stairs look pretty good.

Master bedroom.

Master closet.

First time I've stood on the garage floor :razz:

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
The hardwood looks very nice. I never understood why so many people prefer carpets.

Ninadene
Aug 7, 2004

Who's that hottie in your avatar?
when I have little children pounding about in their little shoes while smaller ones are sleeping I sometimes wish there was carpet upstairs.

Also wishing I had Slung Blade's life in the country. /sigh

(I can cook, clean, and sew if this is a competition! And I love snow.)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I can cook too :unsmith:

ps: totally looking for a housemate

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
Haha...was that Chinese barbecue spare ribs and a pan of corn bread?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Smoked beef ribs, actually. The bark was amazing.

Also nice, rare, prime rib.

I do smoked turkeys and chickens too.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
What type of wood is that? Very nice looking. I dig the risers too - Don't know if that's common in your neck of the woods, but I've never seen anything like it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Thanks, and everything in the house is maple.

Cabinets, floor, baseboard, stairs, door casings. All of it.

I like maple :downs:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Slung Blade posted:

Smoked beef ribs, actually. The bark was amazing.

Also nice, rare, prime rib.

I do smoked turkeys and chickens too.

:aaaaa:

Now that just isn't fair.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Oh hey, I found one of my smoked turkey pictures.

:v:

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"
I've never seen tread or risers like that before either. I'll need to see a picture of the den when you have it furnished. That is if your gimp doesn't poo poo himself at bright flashes. I guess I'm warming up to the idea of private room within your private room. Mine would need a sliding bookcase for a door though.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

The risers are just floorboards on their sides, and the risers are just wider floorboards with a different router bit used on one side.

They're pretty common here, what do you usually see?

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."
You're doing exactly what I want to do someday, but I don't think it will even begin to start for at least a few years. There's money to be saved (dead broke ATM), land to buy (luckily +/- five flat, arable acres can be had for less than $20k USD in my area), and plans to get around to working on. I'd hope to get it as close to a full homestead as I can while still holding down full-time work and my own sanity.

I'd rather do most of the work myself over a few years just to save money since it's still the old "Fast, cheap, and good; pick two" rule that applies, but it's good to see someone else getting this sort of thing done and actually documenting it.

I may start my own long-term thread from concept to completion once I get the ball rolling, but I know I can't do poo poo until I get more income rolling in. I'll just live vicariously through this thread for a while. :)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Barn Owl posted:

a sliding bookcase for the door to the Mancave.

Please do this please oh man. What an opportunity!

I think my favorite part so far is the spice rack, actually. I love hidden poo poo.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Barn Owl posted:

Mine would need a sliding bookcase for a door though.

Barn Owl is right. You're building a house from the ground up. You NEED to turn that Den into a secret room.

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"

Slung Blade posted:

They're pretty common here, what do you usually see?

Three piece glue-ups at most. What really threw me is that the risers and treads aren't full length. I'm used to them being pre-made and surfaced as one piece per riser/tread.

I don't disapprove of anything in your home at all. It seems like I may be nit-picky on things, but I'm more interested in why things are different than the differences themselves.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

Suddenly I find myself in GWS.
What is it with this thread and awesome stuff?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Amstrad posted:

Suddenly I find myself in GWS.
What is it with Slung Blade and awesome stuff?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Around here, all I've ever seen is single piece treads and risers. I like the look of yours quite a bit though.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Wow, this is a really, really awesome thread.

I know it's already been said before, but I'm extremely jealous of you! The wife and I would eventually like to move out to the country and set up our own self-sufficient farm/homestead.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Those hard wood floors are lovely! The house I bought with my fiance already had rugs down in most rooms, and we're talking about renovations now, however he likes rugs! :argh: I like a nice hard wood floor with a small area rug.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
A friend and I were looking at a piece of land just outside of Longview(that we couldn't afford). It's awesome to see you living the dream! How far are you outside of Calgary? Also, I have to ask....what are your Internet options there, and further out?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Thanks everybody :)

xpander posted:

A friend and I were looking at a piece of land just outside of Longview(that we couldn't afford). It's awesome to see you living the dream! How far are you outside of Calgary? Also, I have to ask....what are your Internet options there, and further out?

Not super far, but with this town being so long north to south it really depends on where you're trying to go.
Here's a google map showing roughly where my hamlet is relative to Calgary.
http://tinyurl.com/ylq43lr

As for the internet, there are several high speed wireless internet providers operating in our area these days. Efirehose ( http://home.efirehose.net/ )is the one my parents use, and I'll probably stick with them. They're pretty reliable and it's fast enough. It's not as fast as cable can be, but it keeps up reasonably well to DSL. I can play online games with it without difficulty.

They have quite the coverage area.

There are other companies, but I can't remember their names at the moment.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
So did you go with a sprayed ceiling? I was talked out of it and wasn't sure if it would look "right", but now that its all done and painted it looks awesome.

Also, when's move-in day? We're shooting for the end of April. I should really get to putting up a thread of my own, but I just don't have time to follow it all the way through. I think I'll wait till I'm done and post progress shots all the way from beginning to completion at once :)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

It's a textured "knockdown" ceiling, which, honestly, I'm not really sure how they apply it.

My parents have had the same thing, and it's been great for 10 years. Easy to keep clean, looks good.

If all goes well, I'll be moving in on the 16th of april.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Slung Blade posted:

It's a textured "knockdown" ceiling, which, honestly, I'm not really sure how they apply it.

Post pics, based on the visual I bet somebody in here knows.

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"
Yeah, they just apply it like a "popcorn" ceiling and the "knockdown" is when they get rid of the stalactites with a trowel.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

You can kind of see it here.

I'll take a proper picture next time I'm out there.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Can you talk a little about the pre-construction phase? Did the general contracting companies have different housing plans for you to choose from that you can make minor changes to, or did the plan get made from scratch?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

The Bramble posted:

Can you talk a little about the pre-construction phase? Did the general contracting companies have different housing plans for you to choose from that you can make minor changes to, or did the plan get made from scratch?

Oh hey Jingoist, what's up man?

Some companies have their own stable full of plans. I could have hired one of those, there's a suburb development just a little ways down the road from me, and I did go talk to them.

It made more sense to hire a custom home builder for me, they're used to the septic tank systems, well pumping systems, and will build whatever plan I give them. In this case, I just talked to her and brought that one plan that I posted earlier, told her the modifications I wanted, and she took it to the architect. So it wasn't quite from scratch, but it is a unique house.

Big changes this week.

Bathroom sinks and fixtures have been installed.

And the vanity lighting.

The wall sconces going down the stairs are the same style.

My garage now has a set of stairs to get to the door. I might have this changed to be a straight in staircase later.

Kitchen faucet's in.

Dishwasher was installed. Sorry, this is a terrible picture, I was talking with family and didn't check to make sure it was visible. I'll get another some other time.

Dome light fixture over the kitchen table.

Above the sink.

Hood fan installed.

My closet has two lights now. There's one hidden by the wall above the door.

Master ensuite fixtures.

Shower fixtures. I wanted these ones because they have temperature and pressure settings.

Bathtub fixtures.

Basement has fluorescents now. Nice small ones, but quite bright. Some new type, I seem to recall the electrician saying.

Steps leading to the basement have a sconce too.

Eaves trough and downspouts installed.

New steps leading to the deck.

New steps to the front porch. Plus plywood and lattice covering under the deck there.

Exterior light fixtures.

This trench leads away from the house. I'm not exactly sure what the plumbers were doing, but the remains of the water that comes from my well is pretty worrying. That is an awful lot of salt and minerals. My dream of a giant lush garden may not be feasible.

I think I will have to either get a trailer with a big tank on it to haul water from the city, or build a big sand filter for myself. Sand filters are easy to build and maintain, but I don't know how they are at filtering out minerals. Anyone know?

Here's a closeup of the knockdown for those interested:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Slung Blade posted:

My garage now has a set of stairs to get to the door. I might have this changed to be a straight in staircase later.
Builders too often fail to consider things like "how will I carry furniture up this staircase?"