Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Slung Blade posted:

I've been dealing with some right arm damage since mid October after a fall during curling practice, and after getting an ultrasound it turns out I tore the ligament that holds the long head of the biceps tendon in its' channel in the bone:

I also tore 1 and a half of my rotator cuff tendons and got bursitis from an inflamed sac in my muscle, all from falling on the ice. I'm trying to get surgery to get it fixed, but it's been hell because I can't swing a hammer the way I want to, so I wasn't able to do any smithing since those decorations I made in August. A cortisone shot helped the inflammation, but they can't do anything for my shoulder unless I break 3 of the 5 tendons. I'll live, it's just tough not being able to do what you want.

Sorry about your arm. My uncle had something pretty similar, and he was fine after surgery and some physical therapy and regained 100% function so at least there's hope you'll be good as new again.

I love your kitchen and the way you make great use of game and your canning. I'm gonna look into the same because I'm very interested in both food preservation and utilizing what game I get as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

How tall are your garage ceilings? I'm trying to figure out if a lift is feasible in my space limited garage

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Grumpwagon posted:

How tall are your garage ceilings? I'm trying to figure out if a lift is feasible in my space limited garage

14', but 12' is more than sufficient depending on what you need to lift.

Hell 10 or maybe even 9 might be enough if you get a two post and are just working on cars.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Fuckin hell I should update this thread sometime eh?

I'll post some pictures soon, but we were in Australia all of April.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Slung Blade posted:

Fuckin hell I should update this thread sometime eh?

I'll post some pictures soon, but we were in Australia all of April.

All good things in time im sure.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Alright, so. Honeymoon time.

Wife has family in Australia, great folks. We stayed at their place. Their yard was super nice.

I had to try one of these.

Took a train up the Kuranda scenic RW. It was awesome.

I taught the locals north american meat smoking techniques.

O'Reilly's rainforest area was beautiful.

I learned how to hate cockatoos.

We returned to this bullshit, in May.

Then the TV started getting ghosts in it, replaced it with a bigger one as this one was 15+ years old and didn't owe me anything.

After that, the wife's grandmother tragically passed away after a short fight with a really aggressive cancer, so we went to Sudbury :smith: . My first time in northern ontario, I had to see the nickel. Here is the back since everyone always posts the front.

I've not had time for many projects lately since our collective stuff is hampering our ability to organize, so we need a shed.

They kinda dropped it in a lovely spot though.

How to move it? It's way too heavy to push, and I can't pull it with it being so close to the AC unit. Hmm.

Of course, a monorail with rollers!

Push, push, push with my big crowbar.

Much better.

Now I can park a car here again. Tools needed: Steel bar, concrete paving stones, car jack, 1.5m crowbar, SHEAR BRUTE FORCE and a gently caress YOU I AIN'T QUITTING

Hopefully soon I can get back to smithing and more car stuff if my shoulder rehab continues to go decently well.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

were the stralyians appropriately worshipful of your smoked meats, because that looks proper skookum

also thanks for an update, I remember back when the SA ladies were hitting on you because of your pie game and you were still getting that place floored and stuff. Nice to see your life progressing well :)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Leperflesh posted:

were the stralyians appropriately worshipful of your smoked meats, because that looks proper skookum

also thanks for an update, I remember back when the SA ladies were hitting on you because of your pie game and you were still getting that place floored and stuff. Nice to see your life progressing well :)

I believe everyone in SA was hitting on him, my world is safer now he is no longer available.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Keetron posted:

I believe everyone in SA was hitting on him, my world is safer now he is no longer available.

Bullshit we can still share him

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.
Slung Blade, is there any chance of you restoring the image links in the earlier posts, so I can continue to live vicariously through you?

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Gaytimes are the best icecream, hands down.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Bad Decision Dino posted:

Slung Blade, is there any chance of you restoring the image links in the earlier posts, so I can continue to live vicariously through you?

The earlier posts are safe in my memories but I second this notion for people who were off gallivanting in who knows what thread and missed this ride. It's been nearly 10 years

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Just lol if every square inch of SB's house, garage, workshop, and tractor isn't already burned into your memory, lol

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Which ones are missing?

I was looking at the first couple posts and they all appear to be there. Slow to load from tinypic maybe, but there as far as I can tell.

But yeah I totally can, I have all my old pictures archived. Just let me know which ones don't work for you.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.
So I did a little digging, and apparently Firefox is blocking the images from loading because the connection to tinypic isn't HTTPS, and it doesn't like loading unsecure resources on a secure site. Good to know I can still enjoy a reread of the thread.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Holy gently caress how have I not updated since June?

Life's been busy I guess. Sheesh.

Alright, so later in June I decided I wanted a little 4x4 with a proper front-engine & primarily RWD setup. So I bought a relatively cheap ZR2 blazer. It's needed a little work but nothing too serious. That rust spot on the driver side behind the door is the worst of it, I think I can fix that or maybe get it fixed later, not too worried about it this year.

I wanted this mostly for winter commuting and weekend recreation. First thing I did with it was take the wife fishing down on the bow river not too far from where we live.

A storm blew in and ended our fishing that day but that's fine.

In late June, my cousin got married in Fairmont BC. Through a bizarre scenario I decided this would be the time to take my wife on an absolute 1000+ kilometer marathon of a road trip as she had never been to Fairmont or Jasper. She had to work in Edmonton on the Monday after the wedding, but she had a ride (her boss) to get back home that afternoon.
So I took her from our rental cabin in Fairmont, back through Radium BC, up the Columbia Icefields highway to Jasper (we stopped there for a little break), along the Yellowhead Highway to the west side of Edmonton, and then I drove myself home. I think I got home just after midnight if I recall correctly.

We shared the driving duties so I got a couple decent pictures of Castle Mountain. We stopped in at Storm Mountain lodge to get a bagged lunch from their restaurant.

And some mountain sheep. We saw 3-4 bears too, but it was always when I was driving so no pictures of them. They were surrounded by idiot fuckin tourists anyway, no one needs to see that. :argh:

Later in the month we finally figured out why the septic tank was filling up in a week (!) instead of 1-2 months as should have been normal with 2 full time occupants. My neighbour is a septic installer so I usually turn to him when I'm having issues with the tank, he didn't believe me that there was a problem, thought there was an appliance that was leaking constantly. I did some troubleshooting and even put a camera down into the tank to inspect the inside (all looked good) and eliminated everything else besides the boot around the inlet pipe, so I had him dig it up for me with his little excavator. Once he got down to the tank he put a hand shovel onto the concrete and a big chunk fell off. Turns out the manufacturer used the wrong mix in their batch of concrete so it was porous as gently caress, all the ground water was seeping in and I guess weakening it over the years. So that had to get dug up and replaced. I don't want to get into the details but the folks who did the original install in 2010 and the manufacturer made things right for us, despite it being 10 years old already. So now we have this pile of clay and dirt to leave alone until the soil settles in spring 2020. It's been normal since we had this done, so it was definitely the walls letting water seep in. What a fuckin disaster.

In August the town was planning a big BBQ again, so I had to make some upgrades to the pig roaster. A friend gifted me this big 60:1 reduction gearbox (yellow) and I had to integrate it with the existing transmission and put my own motor on it. I had planned to use this motor before (pulled it out of that piece of poo poo bandsaw I bought for 50 bucks years ago) but my other neighbour had a motor we could borrow that was easier to mount and had a big reduction on it already so we just used that the first time. Now this is probably the permanent set up, until something breaks.

I couldn't get that large cog off the yellow gearbox (rusted on) but I figured it would be alright since I couldn't line up its' output shaft with the input shaft of the 100:1 box. So I made this kinda janky U-joint deal by welding some steel to the cog and putting them through the input pulley wheel's spokes. It works :shrug:

We got a sheep from a local place (town's was the big one in the middle/back). My neighbours wanted a couple for themselves so they were kind enough to go and pick them up. We slaughters all three of them and prepped them for food.

Their dog was super excited to meet them, he's such a good boy.

Day of, we got the Pork of the Covenant out of the hanger. I even mounted the power switch on the frame so it's like a semi-proper build now. The reduction is now 6000:1 from the motor, plus whatever amount we get out of the pulleys, it turns soooo sloooow now, it's perfect.

I think we've got most of the bugs worked out of the end product.

I also smoked 5 beef briskets for folks who don't like lamb, turned out pretty good as well.

Also in August is the big show at Pioneer Acres, we celebrated a 50th anniversary this year so they wanted a horse-centric feature this time. As always I was in the blacksmith shop and the horse folks brought some busted equipment to us, and they delivered it with style.

This little rivet had worn down just enough to come out of the armature that it actuates if you reefed on it a little too hard.

So I took it apart and replaced it.

This arm lets you set the angle of attack for the disks depending on how you set the lever.

Back together and ready to work over the demonstration field again. I really like working on stuff like this, shows that the town smiths were useful and necessary, and it lets me do stuff that isn't just ornamental.

My arm wasn't in great shape but I had time and energy to dish out some 3/16th plate, at least I think it was 3/16th, it might have been 1/4 or something I can't remember.

I was making some dished candle holders for my brother in law, made 6 different handles. Not my best work, but I am still fighting my shoulder.

My folks had a bumper crop of apples this year (long summer, lots of heat, and they have a good rainwater collection set up so they could keep the fruit trees hydrated). I made some jelly with a small portion of the harvest.

It was more syrupy than jelly this time, but it tastes great. Excellent on pancakes.

After our Australia trip I was craving meat pies, so I tried to make some with venison meat.

They turned out decent, I need to make some more of these soon. Maybe use less tomato paste this time. Maybe also try a puff pastry for the top. And holy gently caress crimp those edges you goony gently caress.

September rolls around and the wife and I want to get one more camping trip in before the cold sets in, and before hunting season begins. We went to Beauvais lake in the southern part of the province. I always forget how scenic is it down there.

We also visited Waterton national park while there, since she had never been there. Gorgeous as always, and we actually got decent weather which was nice, and rare.

We had a Stellar's Jay visit our campsite, he was cool.

Wife's toyota was wearing out and in need of a bunch of maintenance that I really was not up for, and we needed a bigger vehicle for a multitude of reasons. We pick up folks (her family) from the airport all the time now, so we needed a proper 4 door with good cargo space, the white pickup's back seat is too small and the truck is way too fuckin big to take to the airport all the time. Plus she wanted a good AWD system since she got stuck in our driveway last year. I'm all for that. We traded in the corrola and bought a new mazda CX-5, and she's been using it as her primary commuter, so far so good.

We did thanksgiving on Vancouver island with her family. We brought the pie pastry with us in our luggage and did dessert. Locally sourced apples made for a couple of awesome pies to supplement the pumpkins.

I finally got the awning replaced on the trailer, we never used the old one as it was rotted/hail damaged and mildewing from the previous owner. When I was single my sister and I stayed in this trailer while we camped with my folks, we generally relaxed in their site and just used ours as shelter for the night, Wife and I have been doing more independent trips so it'll be nice to have this for when it's just the two of us.

I spent most of my September and October (bow season) weekends hunting on my neighbour's farm with my buddy, we came so close so many times but were never able to close the deal with the bows.

Specifically we were trying to get this big bastard, we came close plenty but could not finish the job.

In November, I made up for it by getting my first ever moose up at our normal rifle hunting range. I was over-anxious and shot her more than necessary, ruined some of the shoulder meat. My first shot was fine and would have done it. At least I got her in the skull as well so she didn't suffer much.

We hauled it all back in a rental trailer. (we put a tarp down so it didn't make a mess, it was frozen anyway so it was fine)

We also got two small whitetails on general tags, so we scored something like 230 pounds of meat to split this time, gently caress yeah.

Then I helped Seat Safety Switch swap out the ej2.5 from his saab with a JDM sourced 2.0 or 2.2 or something. Numbers Matching did the majority of the work, being an actual competent professional. You may remember he and I did a timing belt job on this car previously, turns out the tensioner was faulty, so between that and a coolant leak issue, the original motor overheated real bad and started knocking like a motherfucker once the oil burned off. Seat can tell that tale more accurately if he feels generous.

Wife and I did our annual christmas drop-in, with the usual spread of food. gently caress this was a lot of work. I think I did 16 batches of various shortbreads to give away as presents.

Did some crock-pot caramelized onions.

Which I then turned into french onion soup.

And I pressure canned it, since it was such a hit last year.

For Christmas eve dinner we made some tortierre (not exactly a fully faithful recipe, but we like it) Ate one, froze the rest.

Man I was happy with how this turned out.

Shoulder update: talked with the surgeon in October, I am going in this January to get it fixed. The rehab is going to be brutal, six weeks in a sling and then 3 months off work while I try to get my strength back. :gonk:

Dad health update: his pancreatic cancer is unchanged, not getting any worse so that's good. Downside is he also got prostate cancer and because of his scar tissue from the work they did on his pancreas they didn't want to operate again for that, so he had an absolutely brutal radiation therapy regimen to kill that off. Results still pending on that one but he's doing ok, gets tired very quickly now :smith:

Other than that, things are pretty good. Hope you all have a happy new year :cool:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The basics of the Saab job: we did a timing belt job and put a new radiator and radiator hoses on it as part of the job.

This is because the water pump is turned by the timing belt, and so while the belt was out, I figured we would put in a new water pump and also deal with the rusty stock radiator at the same time. Two birds, one stone - I’ve done radiator replacements more than I’ve done suspension jobs on Subarus, and I’ve done a lot of suspension jobs.

So after we buttoned up the timing belt, destroyed a crank pulley by using the wrong tool to hold it, and bodged it again in a subsequent weekend we were pretty much done. We did not elevate the front end of the car while bleeding in order to encourage air bubbles to come out from the Goddamn Everything we just replaced, which I definitely knew better, but I was too tired and told myself I would do later.

We got the car timed and running and I drove it for a few months, albeit seemingly down on power, until it was the magic combination of a hot day and me parking momentarily on an extremely steep driveway.

Then it started to overheat, because the angle had forced an enormous bubble out of somewhere in the cooling system and into the radiator. Since a Subaru is an aluminum block, major overheating can easily distort the block. I stopped and got a tow but it was too late - after that, even though we fixed the bubble and re-bled the cooling system, it started to use oil.

I was used to Subarus that consume oil - most of mine have been 330-350,000 km beaters that I just give a quart or two between oil changes - but this one got away from me due to other stuff that was happening in my life, and I managed to get a case of the knocks taking a hard corner in the rain because there was simply no more loving oil in the engine.

The timing belt tensioner - a cheapo Chinese Gates - also failed at some point prior to this, probably making the overheat worse as well as causing the lack of power. I don’t think it was the sole cause but it sure wasn’t helping.

So I bought an overpriced Japanese EJ20 (2.0L) from a local Japanese parts dealer and we put it in. The swap is fairly straightforward but it did take the better part of a day. There are still some buttoning-up issues but it is smooth and nice to drive, although obviously I am going to miss that extra 20hp from the missing 0.5L of engine.

This was a challenging year, but a good one. I am looking forward to 2020 for many reasons. I’m glad to be Slung’s urbane, well-read, city-dwelling, fully-entoothed, but still white trashy redneck buddy.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 2, 2020

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Thank you for the update! It's always interesting to see what is new on the SB farm!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

nikosoft posted:

Thank you for the update! It's always interesting to see what is new on the SB farm!

:yeah:

Y'all make me jealous with those gorgeous views, open land, and all the crafts and cooking. Please tell me the weather's miserable most of the time or something so I don't feel so bad about living in California.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
sorry to hear about your pops + shoulder. thanks as always for the update, and all of that food looks beyond delicious.

edit: oh wow next month this thread will be 10 years old! i noticed a lot of the old pics hosted on tinypic are gone! :(

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
10 years. Since I started reading this thread I’m down both parents and 3 cats but up one wife and child.
Dogs have stayed the same, on aggregate.

Thanks for the update, you were at least partially the inspiration for my getting a bigger shed to tinker with things in SB which really has become my happy place :)

What’s the deal with the slow cooked onions, you got a recipe for that?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah I'm sorry about those old pictures. I still have my copies but I don't think I'll ever have time to edit new links in to replace them.

I might do some synopsis posts or something if folks are actually interested. I'm betting most of the audience has been with me for a long time now and know the score so that might be a waste.

Regarding the onions, it was a post in goons with spoons years ago. Literally just rings of sweet onion, some butter, and set your crock pot on high for a day or so. 12 hours good, 24 hours better - depending on how dark you want them. Stir maybe once every six hours if you're feeling saucy. Drain the butter that's left at the end if you want onion butter. But that's all it is. Mega simple.

I am also glad Seat is my friend, we met because of the forums here and it's been great meeting some new folks to do things like build outrageously stupid project cars. Being an emotionally crippled introvert I don't make friends outside of work easily. I would like to point out that I do have all of my teeth though.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yeah, 3-4lbs onions peeled and sliced, about 1TB butter per pound of onion. Process for 8-10 hours on low in your crock pot for golden brown, longer if you like darker, stirring a couple times over the cook time. If they're still pretty moist at that point, crack the lid and let 'em cook down for a couple more hours to thicken. Salt and pepper at that point to taste.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 3, 2020

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
What's a terabyte of butter

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Slung Blade posted:

I am also glad Seat is my friend, we met because of the forums here and it's been great meeting some new folks to do things like build outrageously stupid project cars. Being an emotionally crippled introvert I don't make friends outside of work easily. I would like to point out that I do have all of my teeth though.

Literally every post you make everybody (well, me at least but surely I'm not alone) is like "drat that dude rules and does nothing but awesome poo poo, I wish I had a neighbor like that."

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, 3-4lbs onions peeled and sliced, about 1TB butter per pound of onion. Process for 8-10 hours on low in your crock pot for golden brown, longer if you like darker, stirring a couple times over the cook time. If they're still pretty moist at that point, crack the lid and let 'em cook down for a couple more hours to thicken. Salt and pepper at that point to taste.

Because browning onions is such a pain, I've taken to this method, then freezing portions in cupcake tins for later use. Goes in basically everything now.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Alright, so, back in January I finally had my shoulder surgery.

poo poo was kinda rough for a while, I was in a sling for 6 weeks, I could barely do anything with my right arm, and things were cold. Then as soon as I get out of the drat sling and start gaining some independence again, this coronavirus bullshit comes on full force and we're all at home anyway.

I was born for this though. The wife was giving me poo poo for having, not quite a hoard, but a good stockpile of canned and dried foods, water, and staples (including toilet paper), but as soon as we started getting low on a couple she finally started to see the merit in keeping a well stocked house. Point for me :smug:

Right, so as soon as I was able to do so comfortably, I tried smithing a small project. It's not great, but I am still recovering here. Wife asked for a coat hanger for the back door. I tried to maximize the available hanging space.

I think it turned out ok, and it works great. Wife loves it.

We kept baking as best as we could, given my temporary handicap.

Trying to empty one of the freezers (wife's brothers moved out of her parent's place and got an apartment of their own again, so we need to pack up and ship their furniture that they left in Calgary out to vancouver island for them). We had a bunch of saskatoons frozen in one of them, and a pile of blackberries.

The in-laws gave me something for christmas to build while convalescing, something to help me rebuild my dexterity when I was ready. This was very nice of them, and I had a fun time putting this together.

Small project on the coronet that I have been avoiding for ages, a new parking brake cable balancer. If you recall, when I replaced the drums with a disc brake kit, the cables were uneven, past the point of the OEM balancer's ability to even it out. I need an adjustable one. I took some bar stock, drilled a hole and filed it down so it could grab the cable's ball and let the cable through, then two channels, and drilled and tapped a hole for the adjustment part.

Made this little frame for them to run inside.

And in the car.

Canned some more chili. Moose this time!

Finally managed to source the prestolite propane fittings I needed to tee in the forge straight to the pigs, as it has its' own high pressure regulator. Afterwards, I found that a local bird built a nest in the cover. Pretty sure they're grackles, some of the neighbours hate em, but I think they're ok.

Wife asked me to make another hanger for the front of the house. I took the original one down so I could replicate it (as much as I could without being robotic about it) and I welded a plate onto the back of both so I could distribute the weight a little better. I did the twist the opposite direction on purpose, I just wish I had gotten it as tight as the original's.

Looks pretty good to me.

Back in early summer 2019 the inlaws brought me this bike rack, their neighbour in Victoria had accidentally backed it into a wall or something and bent the gently caress out of the receiver tongue, asked me to fix it. Now that my arm works again I gave it a shot.

Working again.

The columnar aspens we bought a few years back have some issues with bronzeleaf, and a fungus problem which I'm told you can spray for now. We bought them as a privacy screen, so them being half dead won't do. Tomorrow I'm going to dig them up, replant them somewhere, and put these newer and bigger ones in their place. I'm also going to put down a fuckload more mulch to keep the weeds and grass in check. Hopefully these ones do well.

I'm finally feeling nearly like my old self again, so I'm hoping I can post updates more often. loving hell injuries suck.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
We got those drat oyster-shell bugs on a bunch of our trees last year. Just finished spraying them all, and I think between it and the super-deep freeze we got this winter they should be gone.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Glad to see you're back in action, and sorry about your arm.

Those projects all look fantastic. Well, the bike rack is a bike rack, it looks non-broken. :v:

If you had to guess, about how much of your canned food do you eat yourself vs. give away?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Glad to see you're back in action, and sorry about your arm.

Those projects all look fantastic. Well, the bike rack is a bike rack, it looks non-broken. :v:

If you had to guess, about how much of your canned food do you eat yourself vs. give away?

We eat around 80% at least, I usually give a couple jars away as gifts and thank-yous to folks for various things.

Big day yesterday, wife hired some teenagers who's mother (a friend from her yoga class) was looking for something for them to do during this isolation. We had a bunch of work that had to get done asap, so this worked great for us.

We dug up and moved the three existing columnar aspens with the fungus, replaced them with the nice new ones I showed you guys the other day. Mulched them all, hopefully this will keep the weeds down even more, the mulch worked pretty well last time.

More mulch for the nanking cherry bushes, they're doing ok.

We dug up that old pine tree partially, and then I got the tractor out and yanked it out with that, took a couple of runs at it, but it managed just fine. The new spruce to memorialize the wife's recently passed grandmother is now in place and secured (she gave us the money to buy a tree when we got married). We also re-mulched the hakasp bushes, which have a bunch of little berries on them this year, I'm really hoping to taste one of them this time.

First thing in the morning, the wife and I ran into town and picked up a handy-cube bag of loam to replace some of the soil for these new trees, we used the leftovers to spread over the clay pit in the front yard. I also had my neighbour with the bobcat come over and spread another 10 cubic yards of road gravel I ordered a couple weeks ago for us. We had him widen the front driveway a bit as well, so the gravel goes right up to the far edge of the steps up to the house, I honestly don't know why I didn't have that done years ago, I drive the truck up to that door all the time to load/unload stuff, it makes so much sense.

I will be either getting 2-3 more bags of loam or just getting a dump truck full to cover the rest of that clay up at some point.

Sorry some of these pictures suck, my phone was nearly dead at the end of the day yesterday and would shut down before it could properly process the images.

We had to get this all done yesterday because it's supposed to rain for the next four days. We watered the gently caress out of all the new trees and dropped the nearly full 1250 gallon rain barrel by 1/3rd, and given that it's rained since just after midnight last night, it's nearly full again. So we timed that pretty well. Big thanks to those kids that came out to help, I could have done it all myself with more time, but it was great to have some able-bodied assistance.

I am Sore today, I wanted to work out in the shop but I think I will take a rest day here.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

This whole covid thing has the wife and I mostly staying home, but also exploring a lot more of the countryside northeast of us. It's pretty low on population, and most of the folks in the city have no idea there's anything resembling civilization out there.

That's kind of a shame on one hand, but on the other it presents good opportunity for us. Low traffic stores, farmers markets, Hutterite colonies, all great places to get your groceries and necessaries.

Plus some of the grain elevators have cool graffiti art, like this one.

Did another fishing trip/picnic to Carseland weir. Rains were pretty heavy prior to this one so the river was turbid, but it was still fun.

Had a tornado scare early this summer. Fortunately nothing came of it for us.

Plenty more thunderstorms.

Nice sunsets.

The annual show at pioneer acres was cancelled, which is understandable given the demographic age of the attendees. We still did a little saturday thing anyway so the folks could fire up the old tractors and run some equipment around, members only of course. It was a nice day, me and my blacksmithing crew were working in the shop, and also spending time being degenerate scrap metal raiders - new park council decided to clean up a lot of the junk that had been hoarded over the years, so there were scrap bins a plenty to pick through. I rescued 5 or 6 old wrought iron wagon tires, most of them are forge welded so you know they're ancient as gently caress. We cut the weld out so we could put it on our demo table to show people. The iron will be repurposed at some point, likely.

Someone had planted the demonstration wheat field in the spring expecting a typical year, and normally we turn the horse touchers loose on that poo poo so they can pretend their pets are useful farm animals, and then the steam tractors go and plow it up and run the threshing machines. Kind of a shame to see it rot this year.

I always like wandering the back lot.

At home, oil changes for several vehicles. The blazer's plug has this red rubber washer thing, absolutely trashed. I made a replacement from some leather, hopefully it works better.

One of my apple trees had a good year. The rabbit is eating the ones that fell off, so it's time to pick. I left plenty for him, not to worry.

They are absolutely delicious this year.

We've done a ton of backyard fires too. I just picked up another 1/3rd of a cord of firewood yesterday and I'm thinking of getting more to last through winter. We won't be able to have people in the house, but I think we can still do backyard gatherings of a small size. We will need fire to keep warm.

We've been cooking outside a lot just to get out of the house, which I very much enjoy.

My shoulder rehab goes well, I am able to do overhead presses with 90 pounds on the bar. Deadlift and squat are comparable to what I was capable of pre-injury. Bench is low, but I am trying to not push the weight up too fast on that, last thing I want is to re-injure myself. Covid isolation has, for the most part, been really good to me.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Looks awesome dude.

You ever make axe heads/knives for sale or any other random metal tool pieces?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That slice of pie looks amazing. :stare:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

LingcodKilla posted:

Looks awesome dude.

You ever make axe heads/knives for sale or any other random metal tool pieces?

I make stuff on commission if someone has something specific they need, yeah. Something you'd like? Feel free to pm me if so.

I don't generally make stuff to sell on speculation, except those fire pokers, since I can make them quick, they sell well, and people can watch me make them for them if they're interested.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hrm. I don’t think shipping on a fire poker would work out very well. We do bon fires in a fairly large pit and I’ve been using a lovely old hoe for years now and want to upgrade. Also I’m in the US so yeah.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Shipping a tube really isn't that bad. How long were you thinking? Meter and a half?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

FALL

I FUCKIN LOVE FALL. Seriously, it's the best time of year.

Interesting tracks, what manner of creature is this...

Tis a shed! So after all that effort of moving the garden shed back closer to the house, we decided to do something else with that space. This meant the shed had to move, again. Fortunately the tractor can drag it where I wanted it.

Had my neighbour with the excavator come by and also got more gravel. He extended the pad besides the workshop for me.

Also got another water tank to capture the rain off the shop, and turned the flatbed trailer around.

Then, because loving no one rents bin dollies anymore, I went and made some.

I emptied out the smithy, jacked it up, and set it on the dollies, ever so slightly heavier towards the front.

Not the most elegant of building moves, but it did the job. I can't lie, this was pretty sketch. Still, the 3 point hitch I cobbled together years ago was enough to lift that part of the building, which was over 300 pounds by my reckoning.

What a fuckin mess.

Did lots more canning. Got a huge new canner cause the old one rusted through.

Stewed rhubarb, rhubarb chutney.

Wife's friend got us a pile of peaches.

We canned them in a honey syrup, it's pretty good!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

that is all awesome

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Tell me you sang....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV14jq2n-jg