Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Dammit, you got to it before I could!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I am seriously impressed you were able to move an entire building like that. It's amazing what mechanical advantage will let you do.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm impressed those little tires didn't blow out. How heavy do you think that entire shed was? My instinct would have been some kind of skids/sled arrangement, I'd never have thought you could put a building that size on dollies.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

It was definitely running through my head, yeah.

Leperflesh: The tires were officially rated for 600 pounds each, so 2400 total. The tires were fine, no problem at all, they probably have a 30-50% safety factor. The 3/4" keyed shaft I used as an axle bent, but at least it didn't shear. I'd guess the shed was a little heavier than a ton, could have been 3k pounds or more.

Fortunately, the whole thing was built on skids, it was meant to be drug around as needed, but you'd need a heavier tractor than mine for that. I tried to move it years ago when I first got it, but the tires just dug holes where they stood, didn't have enough traction to move it, but I think it had the torque.

You can see the marks left by the skids where it sat for the last ten years. The building is still nice and solid, I am lucky they haven't rotted out from under it yet.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Camping post with more write up in the RV thread for anyone interested in that kind of thing:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895768&pagenumber=7#post508506231

While we were out camping, the starter in the white truck died. I had to crawl under the pig and whack it with the blunt side of my hatchet to get it to start. Drove home without stopping, pulled the blue truck out of the workshop and put the white one on the hoist.

Replaced that little bugger last night, it was crusty. Wasn't too bad of a job though. I put the winter tires on at the same time because OH poo poo OCTOBER IS COMING.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Early this year my brother in law bought a truck on my recommendation. A mint-looking 92 chev half ton. It was ok for him, but it started spewing oil out the tailpipe and developed a minor knock. Unfortunately the engine deteriorated more and more and he needed some help.

In October, he drove it out here (from vancouver island!) and stayed with us for a couple weeks, it was nice to have him, we've not had family in forever because of covid, so my wife was super happy to spend time with her family.

It barely made it into my shop. But, it did make it, thankfully.

Turbo Fondant, being the awesome dude that he is, was already on the lookout for a donor due to our convos in the AI slack. He found this in the pick n pull, I assisted him (a little bit) and we brought it home.

We did a compression check on the engine stand, and decided it needed a bit of work.

I pulled all the valves out, lapped them, and put new valve stem seals on.

The new engine uses oil, a disturbing amount, but it runs really well despite that. We're still not sure where the oil is going, there's no residue in the tailpipe or hazed on the rear of the truck like you would expect, and there isn't an environmental disaster on the underside of the chassis. It has to be burning it, or it's only spewing out when it's under load, possibly from the dipstick tube o-ring coming out of the pan.

While he was out, we had Canadian thanksgiving. I smoked a turkey and baked some pumpkin pies.

We also did some super late season camping out at Canmore.

The weather got progressively colder over the weekend.

I tried to do a little fishing in the shadow of the mountains. No fish, but a lovely cold day.

Wife and I did some hiking in the not-quite-backcountry south of Canmore, it was almost deep enough for snowshoes, but not quite. There were people out there cross country skiing already.

Then, on halloween Turbo Fondant and I did a quick little jaunt out to Canmore again, this time the weather was lovely and warm. That's Alberta for you. He was driving the Volvo for the last time before he put it to bed for the winter, and I just wanted to drive the Blazer somewhere.

Then it was November. Hunting season.

On my second day hunting, I got this big bastard. Pretty sure he was one of the ones tormenting me and my hunting buddy last year.

His horns aren't all that impressive, though they are big, but I don't give a gently caress, I just want to eat him.

These are the prime cuts.

And I got 5-6 gallons of stuff to grind up.

He was an absolute unit of a deer. Unfortunately, I got the chronic wasting disease test back, and he was positive, so all that meat is just a waste. I'll have to burn it :smith: Last thing I want to do is give 2020 a chance to also bring on the Prion Apocalypse in addition to all the other poo poo it's done.

My buddy got this one, likely a brother or relative, from the same herd a couple days after mine. Not as big, but a little older and more mature. No test results on that one yet, but chances are not good.

Tried to do some more moose hunting, didn't get any good chances on a cow. Saw lots of bulls though, like this guy.

This little magpie was harassing the poo poo out of him, pecking at his ears.

I think I watched them for 15 minutes. The magpie eventually goaded him into standing back up, and he LUNGED at the bird on a tree branch a couple of times.

They held a starring contest, which I guess the moose lost because he was the one that slinked off into the bush. Magpie, victorious. Moose, shameful.

Did a little more smithing too, made a super heavy duty poker for another brother in law.

The smithy's new location is nice, I have a beautiful view out the main door again, and it's super nice having those big propane pigs hooked up for all the gas I could ever want.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
SB, I love your updates! They charge me up and get me in the mood to work on my own projects, but nothing I do will be as cool as hunting a moose :negative:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

That pumpkin pie looks like it has such a richness to it. Would love to eat that. All the other stuff is cool too, minus the CWD that sucks.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Magpies are fearless pieces of poo poo.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Thanks for the kind words folks, I do appreciate it :coal:

So, also back in december I also made a set of wall hooks for my sister in law, she loves horses.

My mother in law had a hip replacement and the father in law needed a hernia operation, so we broke covid rules and went out to Vancouver island for a long trip so we could help out. Working from home made this possible, and we did quarantine on either side of the journey.

We rented a place right on Comox harbour. It was pretty spectacular, and a nice change of view.

Being close to Comox AFB meant we could see the Canadian air force training and flying by occasionally, that was cool.

Did a few day trips around the island. Campbell River was gorgeous, and there's a nice coffee shop there that's all outdoors now. There's a nice firepit on their lot to chill out around. Also snowshoed up on Mt Washington a few times.

Father in law's VW needed new front brakes, so me and my newly christened into the world of working-on-cars brother in law did the job, saved a pile of cash, I think the dealership wanted 8-900 bucks to do it. :stare: While we were at it I replaced the o-ring in the BiL's truck where the dipstick tube sits and that greatly helped the oil loss.

The security folks at the ferry terminal were training a new sniffer dog, asked if they could hide a target on our trailer hitch. How could I refuse such a good pupper?

The MiL recovered to the point where she can walk around and the FiL is also doing much better, so we saddled up and headed home. Still, it was nice to spend christmas with them again.

Back home, my neighbour, the folks who let us use their farm for our wedding, is building a new house on their property. A smaller, cozier house for them to retire into, and let their kids run the big house. They asked if I could make them a set of brackets for shelving, like these:

Now, I can bend metal decently well, but for the numbers they wanted I knew I would need a jig, so I tried to make one and did a test bend.

The jig worked.... okish? I can't get the corners tight enough to be satisfactory, and the jig was a little too fiddly.

So I bought a bender instead. I've wanted one for a while and this was as a convenient excuse as I was going to find.

That bender fucks.

I did 20 of them, 12 are full width 1.5" and 8 are 1.25" (that's the steel he brought over). One pair has a short lip on them, they were the experimental pair that I was using to work out the process, original ask was for 18 so I managed to get what he needed from the available materials.

Cleaned of scale, mounting holes drilled.

Brackets painted (by my neighbour, he wanted to do that) and installed. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, I am especially happy with how consistent they are.

The weather turned drat cold for a couple weeks in february. So as soon as it was half decent outside, the wife and I went down to a provincial park, hiked around 5k along the Bow river, and then took some supplies into the locked up campground and made ourselves comfortable. (this is entirely legal for day use, you just aren't supposed to stay overnight)

As we get closer to the thaw, the county has been out scraping the ditch with this absolute unit of a shovel to make sure the water has somewhere to flow.

Mid last year, I bought a sewing machine. I've wanted to get into making canvas and leather goods so I went full idiot and bought an extremely expensive but very capable industrial cylinder-arm sewing machine. Finally have had the time to put it together this week.

The thread routing is complicated as hell to me, but I've never used a sewing machine so what do I know.

First bobbin wound up.

It took me a couple hours of dicking around with it to get it working, but I did some test stitches (I did the brown/golden coloured ones with a short spacing).

The whole set up, kinda cramped down there with all the excess furniture but that's alright. I just repurposed that old table for a workspace.

I made a ... thing out of some old jeans that are worn out.

I got way off into the weeds a couple times with this but it's my first day! I really should have put the little platform up that converts it from a cylinder-arm to regular table style machine for this, but I was just experimenting.

Looking forward to making some stuff with this.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dude, that rocks. My sews a lot and I considered buying her one for projects like that but she laughed at me and said go look at the price...

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Crab Dad posted:

Dude, that rocks. My sews a lot and I considered buying her one for projects like that but she laughed at me and said go look at the price...

Yeah the price was, uh, significant. I've bought my last 4 project cars for less than this thing cost (not combined).

But hey, this one was made mostly in Canada (factory in Montreal). I am really trying to be more conscious about where I source my tools. That bender I bought is made in the US, as well.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Do you do anything with the antlers? They make neat buttons. You would have to wear a respirator to saw them regardless, but I guess it still wouldn't be a great idea to do if it had wasting disease

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
But.... they’re not equidistant from the wall and the window! :psyduck:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Rapulum_Dei posted:

But.... they’re not equidistant from the wall and the window! :psyduck:

I know, that bugged me too, but it ain't my kitchen :shrug: . They're screwed into the studs though, instead of just the drywall. Take heart knowing they are stronger for their faults.

Anne Whateley posted:

Do you do anything with the antlers? They make neat buttons. You would have to wear a respirator to saw them regardless, but I guess it still wouldn't be a great idea to do if it had wasting disease

No, not yet. I've kept all of the antlers I've managed to harvest so far. I do plan to make like knife handles and such from them eventually. I haven't really thought about making buttons from them, but that's definitely an interesting thought. I'm not super worried about CWD transmission through antler tissue though, so I will use it for something, someday.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Crab Dad posted:

Last year I bought my SO a sewing machine with a quilting purpose, it was a birthday present. We agreed I am good for at least 5 years.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Is that vent hood over the range actually doing anything?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I've not seen the plumbing that my neighbor did for it, but I assume it goes out that wall behind it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Crab Dad posted:

I've had Sailrite recommended to me a lot, they're made to sew sails and similar heavy duty stuff.

https://www.sailrite.com/Sewing-Machines/Portable-Heavy-Duty-Sewing-Machines
https://www.sailrite.com/Sewing-Machines/Industrial-Sewing-Machines

They're not cheap, but also not absurdly expensive, either.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

Take heart knowing they are stronger for their faults.

I feel like this is some sage wisdom

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

At the risk of sounding super sappy, it really tickles me that seemingly half of your posts are "[Person] needed help with [thing], so I did [thing]."

My hips are on their way out the door, and I've reached a point where I need help with pretty much anything that involves physical labor. I don't really like the word "blessed", but it kind of describes how my friend/coworker/neighbor comes to my rescue time and again these days. He's absolutely selfless when it comes to either doing something for me, or finding someone who can, and usually for very little cost or a fair barter. You remind me a lot of him. I appreciate the loving hell out of people like you guys. Keep doing good. :)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mattfl posted:

Is that vent hood over the range actually doing anything?

I'm betting you're confused because it doesn't go to the ceiling. It's overwhelmingly likely that on an exterior wall like that it makes a 90 near the top of what we can see inside and exits the wall to the exterior. For a residential stove/hood like that there is no need to vent it above the roofline.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Motronic posted:

I'm betting you're confused because it doesn't go to the ceiling. It's overwhelmingly likely that on an exterior wall like that it makes a 90 near the top of what we can see inside and exits the wall to the exterior. For a residential stove/hood like that there is no need to vent it above the roofline.

Ok that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I forgot to mention in the last post that I had to replace the dishwasher last month. It burnt out another power circuit (I had it repaired a few years ago) and I knew how difficult it was trying to get the first replacement part so I decided to just replace the entire thing. The pump was starting to go, and the dish racks were rusting apart in the corners, so we got most of its' life span worth.

When I took the old one out, the fuckin thing was hard lined to the water supply, this is looking at the back of it once I had it out of the cabinet. I had to borrow my dad's pex crimper to complete the job, and buy a couple fittings, but it only took me a day and a half to have it all done. Could have been a single evening if I had all the tools and parts.

I mean, I guess that hard line worked fine for 12 years, but I still wouldn't have done it that way.

While I was under the kitchen sink, we cleaned up under there (surprisingly not that bad) and replaced the faucet. The nozzle had been clogged several times with all the sediment in the water, and the cartridge stopped giving us good pressure. Plus we were both sick of it, and the little fork that you used to tighten it down against the underside of the counter was constantly working loose. This new one I mounted sideways, I had hoped to do it with the handle in the middle of the sinks, but the wood blocking surrounding the underside of the mounting hole prevents that, this new mount has two little flange fingers that flip out to the side once in place, and there were only two ways it would work, this is one of them.

Despite being a little weird, I actually like it, because now I don't get water all over the counter at the back when turning the thing off. It's definitely nice to have full flow again.

This weekend the weather was gorgeous, 15-20' C, so we went snow shoeing up at sawmill creek in Kananaskis.

We met up with another couple there, this is the husband exploring a little offshoot of the trail.

The weather could not have been more perfect.

Some nutcases that parked in the same place we did hiked up the mountain so they could ski down this bowl, I hope you can see the little ski tracks near the 45' ridgeline on the left-middle here.

The highway coming back down into Canmore was a wet, muddy mess. The blazer got good and filthy,

Last night I decided to try using the sewing machine for something that's bothered me for a while now.

This handtowel was put together by my mother, decades ago. She made it for my great grandmother, long since passed, but since her last name and my first name share the same initial, I got the towel when she died.

It's a little worn. But, it's super handy to have around, since I can clasp it over the handle of one of our bathroom drawers, and it doesn't take up any towel rack space.

So I carefully removed the threads holding the towel to the clasp.

Set up the little table adapter for the sewing machine so I don't have to balance on one foot and hold my tongue just so while spinning a plate on a stick.

And sewed a new towel onto the clasp.

The sewing machine went through that 4-layers and 1" thick bundle of towel cloth like it wasn't even there, and the repair is complete.

I didn't get it quite as neat as mom did, but it's good enough and I am happy with it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Slung Blade posted:

I didn't get it quite as neat as mom did, but it's good enough and I am happy with it.

That's pretty dope dude.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Slung Blade posted:

The weather could not have been more perfect.

Deeply jealous of this. I miss snowshoeing.

Slung Blade posted:

The highway coming back down into Canmore was a wet, muddy mess. The blazer got good and filthy,

alberta_springtime.jpg

And very nice job with the sewing.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Almost died when I browsed prices on that brand of sewing machine.
Yikes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Says the person who chose the brand name of some of the most expensive medium format cameras ever produced as their username.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Acid Reflux posted:

At the risk of sounding super sappy, it really tickles me that seemingly half of your posts are "[Person] needed help with [thing], so I did [thing]."

:unsmith: Thanks, I like doing things for other people. Have a hard time doing them for myself, no idea why.

Hasselblad posted:

Almost died when I browsed prices on that brand of sewing machine.
Yikes.

I know. I think it's worth it though.

So this time of year the sun comes straight west into our living room through the patio doors. Since the wife works in the living room now, we need some curtains there. I've wanted to do this for a while, but I needed the excuse and impetus.

Started with some leaves I made over a decade ago for a table I made for my parents, ended up not needing all the leaves, so they sat, waiting for a project to claim them.

Cut off the base material and drawn out.

Coiled up.

Cleaned up, some paint.

Turned out ok!

That little bender I bought was worth every penny. Made the brackets super easy.

The finials are just hanging on there, not actually attached via anything other than gravity.

Now I just need a curtain...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Those look great! And curtains aren't terribly hard to sew; I've done it and my total sewing experience consists of...one project, making curtains :downs:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Thats a very cool curtain rod.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Motronic posted:

Says the person who chose the brand name of some of the most expensive medium format cameras ever produced as their username.

And mine was still the fraction of the cost of one of those sewing machines. :shrug:

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 24, 2021

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Went to a local pharmacy and they had a full on fabric store in there. Picked out this fabric.

gently caress, I haven't used an iron in years.

Decent!

Not perfect, I went kinda off the line a couple times but I mostly did it proper, like.

I folded a double hemmed edge, then doubled the fabric to block light, and then stitched it up.

Looks ok in the morning sun.

Rinse and repeat on the other one. I still need to hem the bottom, but we're going to get some wood rings for the rod first. Once we have those I will measure and adjust as needed. Might add a top hem too, if I have enough material.

Couple misc things here, it's backyard fire season again, so we needed some more wood. This year I decided to just buy 2 cords right off the bat.

Wife and I spent two solid hours moving and stacking it.

We were mighty sore the next day.

I've had my grandma's old 60's Lava Lamp for years, but it needed a new cable.

Can't imagine why the pixies didn't like this chicane through the grommet.

Slice the felt, remove socket.

New cable, new switch. Boom.

Oh also I bought something from my neighbour.

:getin:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:nice:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SOUTH BEND helllllll yes

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Jesus Tittyfucking Christ, what a grab. That's fantastic.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Holy poo poo!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Gettin lathed tonight!

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
That looks heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

I learned on a South Bend in our school's machine shop—wonderful machine. The machinist who taught me said he saw it for sale 8 hours away (mid-atlantic -> upstate new york) and immediately called the seller to make an offer, rented a truck that could handle it, and drove up that evening to claim it.