Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

grover posted:

Builders too often fail to consider things like "how will I carry furniture up this staircase?"

Yes, exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

grover posted:

Builders too often fail to consider things like "how will I carry furniture up this staircase?"

My dream house includes a pivoting boom and double door on the side of the house at the far end of the upstairs hallway for exactly this reason. If it was possible to get 200 years of cowshit out of the foundation and rafters (it isn't) I'd daily drive the poo poo out of an early 1800s cowbarn.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Splizwarf posted:

My dream house includes a pivoting boom and double door on the side of the house at the far end of the upstairs hallway for exactly this reason. If it was possible to get 200 years of cowshit out of the foundation and rafters (it isn't) I'd daily drive the poo poo out of an early 1800s cowbarn.

Usually you can't get this past an inspector, so you need to plan for it so that the retrofit is as easy as possible.

I know a couple of woodworking guys with this exact setup above their garage, it is genius, the dust collection piping is all in the floor rather than cluttering up the vertical space.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Splizwarf posted:

Naw, you don't have to go to those extremes. It's just a matter of laying things out smartly, and considering things like this when revising the floorplan. I can't tell you how many drafts and what-ifs and floor plans I went through when my wife and I put a 2000sqft addition onto our house, but I can tell you I saved over 60 CAD files as the design progressed and we had every detail about the kitchen and stairs planned out before we even broke ground. (Lot easier to route electrical to a kitchen island *before* the concrete slab is poured, things like that...) The end result was perfect, though- I wouldn't change the thing.

Just carried a bed up into the "worst" upstairs bedroom two days ago and it was trivial. Little things like wide stairs and halls, and door placement that allows good angles coming in from the hallway. And not doing things like Slung Blade's garage steps. How's anyone supposed to get a refrigerator up that? The architect should have known better, it shouldn't take a client to notice things like that.

grover fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 4, 2010

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

It's probably just reflex for the builders.

The garage door opens into the side of the garage bay, so they were probably thinking, "poo poo, we can't have the stairs go straight down, the owner will be walking into his car's front fender." Without remembering that the garage is thirty loving feet deep and that wouldn't matter because nothing will come that far into the bay.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Slung Blade posted:

Oh hey Jingoist, what's up man?

Heh, I was wondering if you'd remember!

As far as sand filters go, I'm not really an expert, but I don't see how sand will remove dissolved-phase minerals from the water. As far as I know sand filters are used mainly to remove suspended sediment. We use Granular Activated Carbon to filter drinking water at my job, but that is probably too expensive to be feasible.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Of course I remember man :)

My dad and I are going to split the cost of a good utility trailer, there's a town nearby that sells bulk water for 2 bucks per cubic meter, so I can use that. They sell 1250 gallon poly tanks at UFA, so I'll collect all my rain water too.

I'll be making some kind of solar distiller in the green house too. Not sure how much I'll be able to get out of that though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Slung Blade posted:

My dad and I are going to split the cost of a good utility trailer, there's a town nearby that sells bulk water for 2 bucks per cubic meter, so I can use that. They sell 1250 gallon poly tanks at UFA, so I'll collect all my rain water too.

Wait, are you planning to wash the salts away? Surely that'll just wash the salts into your soil right? Would scraping/scooping the contaminated soil out of the way be a better idea? Hmm, maybe some sort of small self-propelled service vehicle could come in handy :v:

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Your going to buy bulk water because the well water is too dirty, right? I guess I don't understand the scope of the problem from the previous picture either. If your well water isn't potable or will stain clothes washed in it, why not get a filtration unit installed? Won't your plumbing need to be redone to accomodate an aboveground storage tank as opposed to water pumped from the well? What do your neighbors do?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
One of my friends has a 4-stage filter in the basement that comes directly off the well so even his garden hose is filtered. Each of the 4 units is about the size of half a carboy. I don't know what costs are involved, but he's not the type to dump a shitload of money into that sort of thing. If your yard looks like that you certainly will want to filter the water you shower in and wash your clothes with. And trucking in the outdoor water will take up a lot of space and time and drive you insane eventually.

Cakefool posted:

Wait, are you planning to wash the salts away? Surely that'll just wash the salts into your soil right? Would scraping/scooping the contaminated soil out of the way be a better idea? Hmm, maybe some sort of small self-propelled service vehicle could come in handy :v:

It read to me like he was planning on regularly trucking in all his water for the garden/yard.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

The salt on the ground is just on the clay, it's going to be buried by dirt or gravel soon so I can safely ignore it. I don't need to wash it away or anything.

The water shouldn't be salty enough to stain clothes, and it's safe (according to the well report done just after it was drilled) to drink and shower in.

I won't drink it unfiltered though, it probably tastes really mineral-y. My dad has used a small RO system and a distiller to make drinking water for years and has offered to continue making it for me.

The thing I'm worried about the most is the garden. I want to plant vegetables that won't take too much watering to grow, but all gardens need a little irrigation, especially here.

I'd only be driving in water for the garden, not for my own consumption.

Splizwarf, could you please ask your friend about his filter setup? Cost, will it get rid of enough salt to make it usable, and what kinds of things it needs for upkeep? I'm curious to know.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Will do. Might not be until next Sunday. He's the "in-person" type. If it's super time-sensitive, tell me and I'll bite the bullet and visit him for beers sooner.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

No no, there's no hurry.

I can cut the waterline and splice in a filter system anytime. Don't worry about it, just whenever you next see him.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Slung Blade posted:

The water shouldn't be salty enough to stain clothes, and it's safe (according to the well report done just after it was drilled) to drink and shower in.

If it's safe for you to drink, then it's good enough for the garden too. We're just as salt-intolerant as plants.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

True, but it will build up in the soil over time.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Slung Blade posted:

True, but it will build up in the soil over time.
Brawndo's got what plants crave: electrolytes! :pseudo:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Possession is fast approaching.

Driveway skirt is in. Also, you get to see how windy it gets here, what with the turned over porta potty :gonk:

Those tubes in the garage were in fact for the vacuum system.

Garage door openers are in, and working.

:dance:

Baseboard is in. Protective plastic is off the stairway spindles.

Toe kicks for the vacuum. Also, a better picture of the dishwasher.

Doors are all hung, handles in place. I really like these doorknobs, but it does leave the place open to raptor attack.

Closet organizers, this is the linen closet in the little toilet room off the master bath.

Master walk in closet looking from left to right from the door.

Miscellaneous hardware.

Shower door :)

Giant mirror in the master bath. Looks pretty good, still needs the vanity lights.

Air conditioner in place. Caked in salt again, gonna have to wash that once the water's done clearing out or whatever the gently caress they're doing.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
That is such an incredibly gorgeous house, in a beautiful area. Well done, Slung Blade, ol' buddy!

Now all I have to do is befriend my way into position as the sole recipient of everything in your will and then arrange a tragic accident for you. :unsmith:

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Vacuum system? What is that for?

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
For cleaning your house, its just a central vacuum system meaning you have vacuum "outlets" in different rooms and you just have to drag the hose around instead of the whole canister.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Cool. Very cool. I didn't know that such a thing even existed. :monocle:

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 12, 2010

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
It's possible there could be another use for the vacuum outlet too. :quagmire:

I wouldn't know as I've never seen one in person.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
It seems to be a Canadian thing, I thought it was incredibly strange when I saw it in use the last time I visited as I, too, had never seen such a device. (I'm British.)

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
I've heard of these before in the USA, so it's not strictly a Canadian thing.

One thing I'm curious about is the cost of the filters/bags. I would imagine in the long run it's cheaper then other solutions.

I would also hazard a guess and say that those things probably have a helluva lot more suction power then a typically vacuum.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

It's mostly a new house thing. Though, my parents had one in their house built in 1980. (may have been added after construction by my dad, but I'm not 100% sure of that)

With the size of the piping, they're a pain in the rear end to add after the fact, so if you don't already have one, chances are it's not worth the aggravation to put them into an existing house.

The bags don't generally have to be replaced, we used the one at the old house for 20 years, and the new house for 10. You just pull the bottom off the canister as it's just a big bin, empty it out, and try to knock as much poo poo off the bag as you can into the garbage can. Very tough material, whatever they're made of. I'll try to get a picture of it before it gets too filthy to recognize.

Canister vacs are very common here though, we live in a dusty area of the world, and it makes vacuuming pretty easy. I don't know if they're much more powerful, but they're very convenient.

El Bano
Mar 30, 2008
We had one of those vacuum dealies and frankly, after about 2 years of hauling around a hose, we just swapped to using a regular vacuum. It just wasn't as convienent as it sounds like.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Ehn, it works for me v :) v

anitsirK
May 19, 2005

El Bano posted:

We had one of those vacuum dealies and frankly, after about 2 years of hauling around a hose, we just swapped to using a regular vacuum. It just wasn't as convienent as it sounds like.

I'm with Slung Blade. I'd so much prefer hauling around a hose than hauling around the vacuum along with all the dirt I suck up. My parents had one of these in their house built in the 80s (in New Brunswick). When we bought our place (built about 100 years earlier than my parents), we put one in. Granted, we had half the main floor opened up to the bare studs so it was way easier than most retrofits would be, but I was so incredibly happy the day I came home and my husband had the system sitting in the garage in a box. Even happier when he had it hooked up. :)

It's one of those things that made a big enough difference to the ease of cleaning a 2 storey house that I'm more than happy to agree to the vast majority of the vacuuming as a result of him doing the working of putting it in.

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"
I've seen the ones stateside that are just a vacuum trapdoor to sweep into.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

El Bano posted:

My in-laws did the same thing. It's easier to deal with a 30' cord and a 4' vacuum than a 30' vacuum hose. I must admit- their central vac had some powerful suction! Was nice and quiet in the house, too. Loud as gently caress in their garage when it turned on, though. Especially when you're not expecting it ;)

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Barn Owl posted:

I've seen the ones stateside that are just a vacuum trapdoor to sweep into.

We put in a central vac with some of these (kitchen mostly) when we built our house five years ago, and I have to say that I can count the number of times that they have been used on one hand. The central vac itself is fantastic, though. Every now and then we run a sock through the system from each of the ports to clean it out. Makes a great sound :D.

Trying to work in the garage while it is running is extremely unpleasant, though.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I have three of the toe-kick vacuum ports, kitchen, laundry room, and master bathroom.

My family never uses the one we have in our kitchen now, but I do. I like being able to quickly grab a broom and push some lint/dust to the base of the cabinet and let it go.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
:psyduck: toe kick vacuum ports :psyduck:

I want to live in the future, too.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Hungry Gerbil posted:

:psyduck: toe kick vacuum ports :psyduck:

I want to live in the future, too.

Hell yeah, here's one, the little black plastic thing under the cabinet doors.

It's a little port and a big switch that you can flip with your toe. Hence the name.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
I also found the giant hose was way more of a pain than a regular vacuum. I do love the idea of having a vacuum port in my kitchen though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
poo poo, that is looking gorgeous. I can't wait to see it in person. :)

I had central vac in an old house, but the actual vacuum bits were never hooked up - all we had were the vacuum ports leading to the basement. Lots of fun since the little doors are spring-loaded and make a great WHAP-WHAP sound when you pull them open and let go suddenly.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'm pretty sure I already replied, but drat this is a nice house. Goon partay at your place!

My sister's old place did get retrofitted with central vac, so it's not THAT uncommon here in the states. I have a ranch house so it would be easyier than most to do, but I don't think I'd want to lug around the hose either :( I love the kickpanels, though.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

The move went pretty smoothly.

I have way too much poo poo in the garage already.

My appliances are great. I love em.

I loving love cooking with gas. I can finally use all the cast iron that I have.

I was worried that my living room was going to be too small. I like it though with all the furniture in, it feels cozy.

It is really nice sitting in there and watching the sun set out that picture window.

Washer/dryer. Washer works well, but the guys who delivered them broke the knob that controls the dryer. Hopefully they can come and replace the stem.

So many boxes :smith:

Gotta get a bunch of bookshelves, a new desk, and finish unpacking everything, but things are coming together.

The railings are in, but I forgot to get a picture of that, I'll try to remember next time.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Looks very nice and comfortable already. Congratulations. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I need bookcases. Lots of bookcases.

Also chairs.

I wanted solid wood furniture, I'm loving sick of buying sawdust based products.

The bookcases are plywood with veneer, but that's ok, they're nice and strong. I only have the one case now, but the other two are coming soon. The chairs are totally solid wood.

They're all unpainted, because I don't feel like paying 500 bucks per chair/bookcase.

That is, thankfully, easily fixed.

Still needs the 3 coats of clear, but they're not bad. I didn't do a great job around where the back supports join the upper supports, but it's good enough.

Three bookcases and 4 chairs for 1200 canadian? Sign me the gently caress up.