Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Is there like a place where I can hang out to meet awesome people like you in my own state? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yes actually, it's called "Canada".

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Curses! :argh:

Tragically everyone here who's into building/farming/hunting/any diy seem to also be stereotypical red necks in every sense of the word. I just want to hang with people who go "Welp time to make a house!" :saddowns:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

How about people who spend 90 minutes using a hand saw to cut through an 18" diameter log because they're too cheap to buy a chainsaw?

I did that last night and now I'm kinda sore. Gotta get back to smithing asap.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Slung Blade posted:

How about people who spend 90 minutes using a hand saw to cut through an 18" diameter log because they're too cheap to buy a chainsaw?

My family have to hand-saw all the wood for our fireplace because we're too cheap to use a power saw or turn on the central heating and our axe is crappy :saddowns:

Wandering Knitter- buy some land, build a house and start a croft raising sheep and selling handspun wool and charging yarn freaks to come out on holiday. Go on. I dare you.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

madlilnerd posted:

My family have to hand-saw all the wood for our fireplace because we're too cheap to use a power saw or turn on the central heating and our axe is crappy :saddowns:

Wandering Knitter- buy some land, build a house and start a croft raising sheep and selling handspun wool and charging yarn freaks to come out on holiday. Go on. I dare you.

http://www.esthersplacefibers.com/

They kind of do and they're awesome.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Wandering Knitter posted:

Tragically everyone here who's into building/farming/hunting/any diy seem to also be stereotypical red necks in every sense of the word. I just want to hang with people who go "Welp time to make a house!" :saddowns:

Good luck with that, ahahah

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Try the amish?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Slung Blade posted:

When a truck took out our cable line, Cox refused to rehang it at the same height, and refused to hang it higher until we cut down a whole bunch of branches. Faced with extended loss of TV and internet, I immediately bought a small electric chainsaw mounted on a 10' extending pole. I'd somehow gotten along just fine as a homeowner for 8 years, and this was about as small and cheap as chainsaw as they make, but It's amazing how many uses you'll find for a chainsaw once you have one. One of those "right tool for the job" things; sure, something else MAY work, but there are sawzall jobs, there are handsaw jobs, and then there are CHAINSAW jobs. Go on craigslist and find yourself a nice one :)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Numlock posted:

Good luck with that, ahahah

granpa yum posted:

Try the amish?

derp :saddowns: I knew I asked for the impossible. Ah well.

madlilnerd posted:

One day :swoon:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Well, to be fair, it wouldn't have been as hard if the log hadn't gotten wet. I had to use my big 28" demolition saw with carbide teeth just to make the cut wide enough to get in there without the blade binding up from friction. I was able to finish it with a regular wood saw after that.

Bonus fungus growing on my wood:

Made a hell of a mess when I debarked it.

In other news, I was using my brand loving new electric lawnmower today. Trying to keep the grass at bay in that swamp/ditch beside the road. Things were going well, it's light enough that I can pull it up and down the side of the ditch and keep the cord away with my other hand. Then I hit a loving survey post hiding in the grass. Torqued the motor off its gourd and now it doesn't run very well at all.

I've since painted a bar of iron yellow and pounded it into the ground so this doesn't happen again.

I hope sears will give me a replacement or fix this one :smith:

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

When I moved into my current apartment, I had a couch that didn't fit in any doorways, or any windows. I measured it, and figured out it actually would fit into my window if I removed the couches back. I stripped off the upholstery but then realized I had to somehow saw off the back, since the wood was all stapled together in a way that made most of it impossible to take apart (surprisingly, manufacturers don't expect you to want to take apart their couch and then rebuild it).

So the obvious answer was to saw it off! Only, I didn't have a saw... or did I?

I sawed half of the couch apart with a 2.5 inch leatherman before going "Screw it, I'm getting a sawzall." My hands killed me for about a week after.

But I got it through the window! Took a week to take it apart, get it through the window, and rebuild it (with screws this time, gently caress nails). I even took pictures of the entire process to document my failure (and so I'd remember how to rebuild it). The whole thing was such I mess I almost wanted to make a thread about it.

Insurrectum fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 8, 2010

PoconoHermit
Oct 25, 2005

Fire in the hole, Internet!

We ain't so bad. *spits skoal*

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I should get a reciprocating saw, I don't have one yet.

Also they finally finished my gravel pad yesterday. It was raining (again) when I got home, so I didn't get any pictures, but still, it's nice to have that done.

Hopefully I can get my big rainwater collection system in place here soon. And get my tent trailer out of the garage.

And then maybe I can finally move my tractor here.

I think I'm way too late for a garden. But I guess I can plant some beans and peas and maybe some carrots and stuff.

badnoodle
Jan 14, 2008
I'm a scientist. My opinions are other people's facts.
Assuming you like squash, bush-style plants oughta produce a crop pretty quickly. And unsold potted tomatoes should be on ultra-clearance by now, and nearly to the point of bearing.

TheKub
May 11, 2006

According to this website you can plant seeds for the following plants in June:
    Arugula
    Bean, snap
    Bean, dry soup
    Beet
    Cantaloupe
    Carrot
    Corn
    Cucumber
    Kale
    Lettuce
    Potatoes
    Pumpkin
    Radicchio
    Radish
    Rutabaga
    Scallion (green onion)
    Squash, summer
    Squash, winter
    Watermelon

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

It's raining again this week.

There's talk on the radio about disaster relief for farmers because they can't get their grain crops into the ground. Everything is soaking wet.

I can't walk out on the soil because I start to sink.

So, even with quick growing things I might be hosed.

Still, it's almost a nice change. Usually things are so dry here that we've had drought for the last 3-4 years. Some rain to refill all the sloughs and kettle lakes for once might not be a bad thing, long term.

I've been so busy organizing poo poo and attending things I haven't really had time to garden anyway :smith:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Slung Blade posted:

I've been so busy organizing poo poo and attending things I haven't really had time to garden anyway :smith:

Could you at least put down grass so your house doesn't sink in a giant mud puddle?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah, I'm going to plant clover and grass seed everywhere I'm not going to garden. Mostly in the front.

From what I understand, the clover is great at outcompeting grass wherever it is planted, so that will be good. Clover is more drought resistant, nicer to look at (in my opinion) and makes for a nice lawn. Plus you can eat it (kinda) and bees love it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

As someone who is in the process of converting a grass lawn to clover I can only applaud your decision.

It supposedly also helps choke off weeds. We'll see. I have so many dandelions in the ditch in front of our house I am praying this is true. Because gently caress weeding by hand :argh:

Farside
Aug 11, 2002
I love my Commodore 64
clover for a lawn intrigues me. I own rentals and anything I can do to lower my overhead would be sweet. Anyone have success with established lawns or do you need to tear up the old stuff and completely plant with the new clover?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have a relatively small front lawn so I just bought three or four times as much clover as the bag said i needed and am just seeding into the existing grass. My realistic goal is actually a mixed lawn because I don't hate the grass, I just hate how patchy it gets in places but if the clover takes over and chokes out the grass that's just a bonus for me.

I guess in two weeks I should see whether it took root properly or whether I need some more aggressive tactics.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

Martytoof posted:

As someone who is in the process of converting a grass lawn to clover I can only applaud your decision.

It supposedly also helps choke off weeds. We'll see. I have so many dandelions in the ditch in front of our house I am praying this is true. Because gently caress weeding by hand :argh:

I've been farming my dandelions...and my neighbors!
The greens are edible (although strong) and the flowers can be made into wine! Wine!

Edit: Interplanting clover into grass will make for a lot of wild greenery. The nitrogen hungry grass will enjoy the nitrogen fixing clover and the "dont give a gently caress" clover will continue not giving a gently caress and growing like crazy

dwoloz fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 17, 2010

TheKub
May 11, 2006

Farside posted:

clover for a lawn intrigues me. I own rentals and anything I can do to lower my overhead would be sweet. Anyone have success with established lawns or do you need to tear up the old stuff and completely plant with the new clover?

There wouldn't be any issue with spreading white clover seeds all over your lawns.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

dwoloz posted:

Edit: Interplanting clover into grass will make for a lot of wild greenery. The nitrogen hungry grass will enjoy the nitrogen fixing clover and the "dont give a gently caress" clover will continue not giving a gently caress and growing like crazy

Also good. Anything to keep the brown spots down.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

From what I understand from a friend who has done the same thing, he told me he just spread the seed on his lawn and let it do its thing.

He didn't take up the existing grass or anything, just put the seed down.

He also said the clover didn't grow in the patches where he missed putting in seed, so it doesn't spread out too much (though it probably would over a couple of years). Also, it either coexists with or out competes the grass.

Heard back from the doctors last night, my dad's only option is palliative chemotherapy once he starts to feel pain.

My mother is completely devastated, I moved out, my sister moved out, and dad is a goner. We were all hoping that my dad could retire this year and my folks could spend some much needed time together. So much for this being an awesome year for our family.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's terrible, I'm incredibly sorry to hear that :(

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
That's horrible, I'm so sorry. :(

Mephistopheles
Sep 24, 2003

How can I help you?
I'm really sorry to hear that. My prayers are with you and your family.

Funny... sure. But your timing is really inappropriate. Have some tact considering the guy just got some devastating news.
vvvvv

Mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 20, 2010

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
I'm really sorry to hear that. My prayers are with you and your family.
             /

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mephistopheles posted:

Funny... sure. But your timing is really inappropriate. Have some tact considering the guy just got some devastating news.
vvvvv

Humans use humor to lighten up.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

It's funny and I'm not offended. Take it easy.

I've been dealing with this for a couple weeks now and I'm getting used to it. It's good to laugh at it all.

I've decided not to mourn my father until he actually does kick off. Until then I'm going to treat him with the same love and respect that I always have.

Thanks for all the sympathy folks, I appreciate it.

Fortunately, today was father's day and we all had fun. Had a nice meal with the whole family, and they pulled together and helped me accomplish something awesome.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3115766&pagenumber=22#post378569263

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

So fuckin sears called me and told me my mower is broken to the point of being uneconomical to fix. Also, because it hit something, it's not covered under warranty.

Yeah, alright, fair enough, I broke the drat thing. But still, it sucks. Brand new, first use.

gently caress.

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

So fuckin sears called me and told me my mower is broken to the point of being uneconomical to fix. Also, because it hit something, it's not covered under warranty.

Yeah, alright, fair enough, I broke the drat thing. But still, it sucks. Brand new, first use.

gently caress.

That sucks.

Can you get a couple of those old school push mowers and attach them to your tractor?

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Slung Blade posted:

gently caress.

Obivously you need to open it up and tinker with it!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah considering the rest of your threads, I have a hard time believing that this is anything but a minor inconvenience on the road to some kind of DIY supermower.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Messadiah posted:

Obivously you need to open it up and tinker with it!

At this point you might as well. What's the worst that'll happen? You somehow break the warranty even more?

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Slung Blade posted:

I was using my brand loving new electric lawnmower today....Then I hit a loving survey post hiding in the grass. Torqued the motor off its gourd and now it doesn't run very well at all.

I think you should now make it gas powered

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

dyne posted:

I think you should now make it gas powered

That would be quite the mindfuck.

No, but I probably will fix it myself. Surplus motors aren't too hard to get ahold of, and as long as I can put a blade on it and make an adapter plate to fit the mower deck, I shouldn't have too much trouble.

Corded electric mowers are pretty simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Slung Blade posted:

Surplus motors aren't too hard to get ahold of
Surplus motorS

Slung Blade posted:

I can put a blade on it

Only one blade? Really? Really. :what:

Heh, groundhog sandwiches.