Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Slung Blade posted:

That would be quite the mindfuck.

Surplus motors aren't too hard to get ahold of, and as long as I can put a blade on it and make an adapter plate to fit the mower deck, I shouldn't have too much trouble.

Do something that's not electric this time. Please.

Something like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
FULL STEAM AHEAD TOWARDS THE STEAM ENGINE LAWN MOWER

unleash the unicorn fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 23, 2010

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
No hold on don't build that yet because I just found something better:

:dong:

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

A little late to the game here but I'm glad to hear you're putting in a clover lawn. I've been spreading white dutch clover seed into my lawn for the last 2 or 3 years now and it's taken over about 60% of the lawn. If you search Amazon for "White Dutch Clover" you can find a review and some pictures I took if you want to know what it looks like mixed in with grass.

Hopefully I'm not bringing up something that was already discussed, but have you thought of getting a 2-wheeled walk behind tractor? It's essentially a motor on wheels that you put different attachments on. You can get a plow, mower, snow thrower, and all kinds of good stuff (one brand even has a backup generator attachment) that work with the single tractor/engine.

I keep thinking about getting one myself (a used tractor goes for about $1500 where I live) but since I already have all the items separate I haven't been able to talk myself into getting one.

edit: Just realized you're the same dude who made the electric tractor. Guess you don't really need a walk behind tractor after all. But I still want one. :saddowns:

TouchyMcFeely fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 23, 2010

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I have thought about the walk-behinds, and I would like one just for the versatility and maneuverability (the big tractor isn't good in small areas).

There's a solar powered one called the sunhorse that I think I could replicate without much difficulty. The only thing I can't really do myself is make the gearbox and differential, if I even need one.

It would be great for cultivation between plants and such.

Only thing holding me back is cost. With the shop I bought and the things I need for the house, I'm pretty much tapped out money wise.

I still have my modest reserve, and no debt beside the mortgage, and I'd like to keep it that way if possible.

So, gotta build up that bank account a bit first.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Slung Blade posted:

The only thing I can't really do myself is make the gearbox and differential

Craigslist or junkyard for motorcycle parts.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I was thinking like an ATV quad or an old trike.

Would a regular streetbike transmission hold up to semi-agricultural use? I don't really know much about them.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.
We had a quad, that sucker was a workhorse. We were really hard on it too. I'll ask if there was anything special about it, but in general I think quads are tougher anyway.

Retracted other comment, restating the obvious.

landis fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 23, 2010

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

I was thinking like an ATV quad or an old trike.

Would a regular streetbike transmission hold up to semi-agricultural use? I don't really know much about them.

Yeah. I wasn't thinking about work done, just size. Initially was going to suggest just car parts, then went "wait, too big".

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Motherfucking sinking soil making my stairs float in mid air.

There, gently caress you soil dynamics.

Had to do this to the stairs on the back porch too.

I also chopped thistles out with a hoe for 20 minutes. Moved some scrounged firewood to a temporary resting place until I get a firepit built. Built a little steel storage area, and took care of a bunch of small jobs.

Pretty good day outside. Home ownership is fun as hell.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Slung Blade posted:

Only thing holding me back is cost. With the shop I bought and the things I need for the house, I'm pretty much tapped out money wise.

I still have my modest reserve, and no debt beside the mortgage, and I'd like to keep it that way if possible.

So, gotta build up that bank account a bit first.

So does this mean you'll do work for commission?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

M_Gargantua posted:

So does this mean you'll do work for commission?

Sure, what did you have in mind?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I'm sure you could make a "Buy random Metal stuff!" topic in SA-Mart.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I want to, but I have a great many things to take care of first.

I joined an artist's co-op and I have nothing to put on display yet.

Been too drat busy :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Your electric tractor is nothing short of a work of art. Just putting that out there.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Your "goddamn sinking soil" comment is making me worried about subsidence- your beautiful house isn't just going to get swallowed up by the swamp, is it? :ohdear:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

madlilnerd posted:

Your "goddamn sinking soil" comment is making me worried about subsidence- your beautiful house isn't just going to get swallowed up by the swamp, is it? :ohdear:

He'll just build a castle on top of it if it sinks. And if that sinks too, then you have a solid new foundation for another house.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Did your contractor not bother tamping?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

They never do here. Something about glacial plain soils.

It'll settle in a couple of years, don't worry about it. Same thing happened at my parent's place.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looks like you have a decent foundation. What's the worst that could happen, your concrete might show a little?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah, the foundation should be fine. Worst possible outcome is the house cracking in half like the Hull of a sinking ship. Never seen that happen in this area though.

I'm not worried, and none of you guys should be either. Take it easy. :cool:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I need your opinion folks. Let us say, hypothetically, you were going to deliver a shed to me. When you call to ask for directions on how to get to my place and where I want it dropped off, I ask, very politely, that you please drop it "behind the house, on the big gravel pad".

Now, would you drop it here:

Or here?

Just askin.

Pretty sure I asked for a black roof, too...

I tried to move it with the tractor, but it doesn't have enough traction.

I called UFA, hopefully they'll come back and move it for me. The guy I talked to thought it might be because of water, but then I told him that it was dropped in an area where there are puddles, and the gravel pad is perfectly dry. That seemed to get a reaction.

Mowed the lawn again too. Man I'm gathering up some pretty good feed for my compost pile. All my kitchen waste goes in here too. I need to make some walls and a floor or something for it to keep it all in one spot.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

At last, I came home to the shed being in the correct spot. UFA came out and fixed the location.

Doesn't look too bad from the bathroom.

Neighbours had a farrier over, so I watched him work for a while.

Then it started getting seriously nasty outside.

This video will be in 720p, just wait for it. You'll want to see the detail. I thought there was going to be a tornado for sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfSyfzOoHGA

Turns out it was just hail.

Pretty big hail.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Slung Blade posted:

Then it started getting seriously nasty outside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfSyfzOoHGA

That is one biblical-looking storm.

Does the flatness and lack of trees of your area ever get to you? I was in Oklahoma City for awhile and while it definitely has its own kind of beauty, it was also depressing to me, and a bit mind-numbing somehow. Eventually I mostly got used to it, but when I left and moved to an area with actual trees and hills and mountains, I was SO happy.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Not even a little bit. Every morning on my drive into work I get to see a spectacular view of the Rockies, I will stop on the road some day to show you what I mean.

There are plenty of trees in Calgary, the older neighbourhoods especially, so I get to see trees all the time too. Old ones, like 60 foot spruce trees.

The foothills are about an hour's drive away, mountains about 1.5 hours to actually get into them.

The landscape around here is actually really varied. I'm right on the western edge of everything becoming "lol prairie flat" like so much of the land east of here.

Just 10 minutes east of here at my parent's place the ground starts to undulate a little. You can kinda see it in these pictures.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkfy7klBqv4

This was in the "related" section of the video you posted. It's footage from an office across from and above the University of Calgary's rooftop greenhouse, during what was apparently a wicked hailstorm on the 12th of July? It's simultaneously awesome and depressing to watch. Was this the same storm? Because holy poo poo. Dunno where you are / where UofC is. Hail appears to have been the size of yours from other videos of the 12th, and people are saying it's a bit... biggish.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Splizwarf posted:

This was in the "related" section of the video you posted. It's footage from an office across from and above the University of Calgary's rooftop greenhouse, during what was apparently a wicked hailstorm on the 12th of July? It's simultaneously awesome and depressing to watch. Was this the same storm? Because holy poo poo. Dunno where you are / where UofC is. Hail appears to have been the size of yours from other videos of the 12th, and people are saying it's a bit... biggish.

Nope, totally different storms, mine was just yesterday.

The storm that hit the uofc was a lot bigger and more destructive, it fortunately did not come anywhere near my house. It did do a bit of damage to my grandparent's place though, knocked a couple holes in their siding. Last year my folk's place got hit, the siding on the entire north side of the house was full of holes and the frames around the windows need to be replaced (which still hasn't been done). Apparently they got hit again yesterday, but I don't know how bad yet.

Southern Alberta gets more hail than anywhere else in the world. These things are pretty common.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Splizwarf posted:

Yeah, this was a few weeks ago. It chipped the paint of my car a little bit, but cars at the university were completely destroyed; I saw one really nice Aston Martin reduced to basically a frame. Even the wheels were damaged; the leather interior was shredded and all the glass gone.

I believe there's a sped-up version of that same video around and you can just watch the greenhouse glass disintegrate. That was an enormous insurance claim; they're still digging out from it. My insurance company told me that if I wanted to claim my paint damage I'd be looking at an October timeframe for actually getting it fixed, so I'll probably go out of pocket for cleaning up the dings.

If my Natural Disasters prof from a few years ago was correct, hail is more prevalent in Alberta than anywhere else in the world. Sadly, our parking blows to the extent where I can't easily get covered parking.

edit: on the plus side, it's a great way to get race cars. I've seen a few higher performance cars get totalled out and then arrive on the track the next weekend, caged and prepared for race covered in golfball dimples.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 31, 2010

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If my Natural Disasters prof from a few years ago was correct, hail is more prevalent in Alberta than anywhere else in the world. Sadly, our parking blows to the extent where I can't easily get covered parking.

I'd think parking garages would be more prevalent in Alberta than anywhere else in the world too, since everybody knows about the hail problem; your civic leaders are dicks. :laugh: / :sigh:

The end of the video I posted is the sped up version, the last 20 seconds or so. I'm still watching other videos from that storm, it's mind-blowing to a guy from the US Eastern Seaboard. I've seen hail the size of peas maybe 5 times.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Splizwarf posted:

your civic leaders are dicks. :laugh: / :sigh:

If they spent less time shilling for the oil companies and more time actually helping people here, it would be a lot better. :smith:

Mowed the lawn again, getting quicker at it. Only takes about two hours.

Aftermath from the hail: minor damage.

This is my tent trailer's roof, it is now on its third roof.

Roof one, 2005 - July 2009, developed a small leak. Parts/labour covered under warranty, but I had to pay $1000 to ship a new roof up to Canada.

Roof two, July 2009 - August 2009 (roughly) got hit by hail about a month after it was replaced, insurance payed for everything except my deductable $500. Massive kick in the nuts after spending all that money on it before. Roof stayed in place until June 2010 because the coleman factory was shut down due to economic reasons.

Roof three (current) installed June/July 2010, hit by hail yesterday :argh:

Whatever, it's not bad, I can live with this. Couple of big dents, no harm done to integrity though as far as I can tell. Hard to see the dents in the picture, it's pretty featureless. They are there though.

Shed: no damage, but it is kinda tilted.

North/South is acceptable.

East/West is pretty bad.

Jack the fucker up and....

Acceptable. It'll need adjustment later anyway, as the gravel settles.

Also my folks gave me a door, it was replaced (due to hail) last month at their place. We all figured it would make a nice solid table.

I'll cover it with sheet metal or some 2x10s or something later.

antimatter
Feb 14, 2005

Costello Jello posted:

That is one biblical-looking storm.

Does the flatness and lack of trees of your area ever get to you? I was in Oklahoma City for awhile and while it definitely has its own kind of beauty, it was also depressing to me, and a bit mind-numbing somehow. Eventually I mostly got used to it, but when I left and moved to an area with actual trees and hills and mountains, I was SO happy.

For some of us who grew up in the plains, its... "home". Right now I'm living outside Boston and to be honest it gets a bit claustrophobic for me sometime due to the sheer amount of green, and trees and fact that you can't stand on your porch and see for miles and miles.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

antimatter posted:

For some of us who grew up in the plains, its... "home". Right now I'm living outside Boston and to be honest it gets a bit claustrophobic for me sometime due to the sheer amount of green, and trees and fact that you can't stand on your porch and see for miles and miles.

I don't care what anyone says, I like it here.

Wasn't able to work on Saturday or Sunday, family stuff. Monday was a civic holiday though, so that's a good bonus.

Still, got plenty done today.

So the guys who did my grading dug me a little trench to drain the water my sump puts out.

Unfortunately they stopped it half way down the yard. Left me a nice muddy pestilential swamp.

Used the tractor to dig a trench.

Cleaned it out a bit with the shovel.

Man, this soil is deep, dark, and awesome. Hopefully I can make a good garden out of it.

Drain the gently caress out.

Hi there little friend. Just trying to keep that wetland at the back full longer so you have a home :unsmith:

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.
The sky is an ever-changing canvas, too often obscured. There's something to be said about being able to see the horizon; see unobstructed sunrises/sunsets; see the full storm in all of its raw, terrible, glory; and see the vastness of the Milky Way and the rest of the universe.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

How poetic.

I love watching lightning storms off in the distance at night. I'll video one for you guys when I get the chance.

Also having a window open and listening to the tall grass rustling in the breeze at night. It's a great way to live.

antimatter
Feb 14, 2005

landis posted:

The sky is an ever-changing canvas, too often obscured. There's something to be said about being able to see the horizon; see unobstructed sunrises/sunsets; see the full storm in all of its raw, terrible, glory; and see the vastness of the Milky Way and the rest of the universe.

That is one of those things I keep on finding myself really missing all of the time here in Boston. When I was a kid I would often spend time laying on a car or truck hood and just watching the sky as our afternoon thunder storms would be forming up, it would be really pretty with quite a few colors and you could see the layers like the base, all the way to the anvil top, etc..

Another thing I keep on finding myself missing is being able to go outside on a cold crispy winter night and turn off the light at the utility pole and be able to see the milky way in its full glory.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I baked some pie for my grandma's birthday, and I used her pastry recipe. :unsmith:

I've never made pie before, so I hope she enjoys them :)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

I baked some pie for my grandma's birthday, and I used her pastry recipe. :unsmith:

I've never made pie before, so I hope she enjoys them :)

Those look pretty rad.

Protipo: the liquid part boils while it bakes; if you prick the top with a fork several times (random locations with good coverage, or make a pattern), the steam can escape and you won't (usually) get a violent spillover. That being said, always keep a cookie sheet with tinfoil on it or something similarly removable on the oven shelf below each pie just in case. A sheet comes out to clean, getting into the oven to clean it, especially one low to the ground, sucks.

Consider a twist of lemon slice to garnish individual pieces if you're making a presentation out of it (and a dusting of nutmeg or cardamom, taste each to decide what your family will like), lemon/citrus and/or those spices really perk up blueberries.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Any chance of making her recipe internet-famous? Pretty please?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Splizwarf posted:

Those look pretty rad.

Protipo: the liquid part boils while it bakes; if you prick the top with a fork several times (random locations with good coverage, or make a pattern), the steam can escape and you won't (usually) get a violent spillover. That being said, always keep a cookie sheet with tinfoil on it or something similarly removable on the oven shelf below each pie just in case. A sheet comes out to clean, getting into the oven to clean it, especially one low to the ground, sucks.

Consider a twist of lemon slice to garnish individual pieces if you're making a presentation out of it (and a dusting of nutmeg or cardamom, taste each to decide what your family will like), lemon/citrus and/or those spices really perk up blueberries.

I poked them with a knife once, but it bubbled a bit where I (poorly) joined the top with the shell. I'll fork them next time.

I did have the cookie sheet underneath though.

Oh, and they're saskatoons, (aka serviceberries in the US) not blueberries, and there's a little lemon juice already in the filling. Good idea on the nutmeg though.

Cakefool: I will ask her. The filling is just from allrecipes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hydrogen Oxide
Jan 16, 2006
H2Woah

Slung Blade posted:

Wasn't able to work on Saturday or Sunday, family stuff. Monday was a civic holiday though, so that's a good bonus.

It's actually only an optional holiday that used to be either "take family day in february or this one off" but now the govt made the february one mandatory so this one is just completely optional. Doesn't stop everyone from taking it off anyway though. Except where I work. Fuckers :argh: