Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Looks a lot nicer!

I always open paint cans with a big flathead screwdriver. I'm not even sure how I'd get the blade of a hatchet under the lip, unless it was really curved or I guess maybe the corner of the blade could get in there if it's narrow enough...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That looks like it would get blazingly hot every day. If you can paint your roof any color, why wouldn't you pick a light or white color for better thermal efficiency?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh yeah I meant to post a thing in here for you Slung Blade, about gardening, my wife forwarded it to me last week. Hugelkultur! I've got some wood cut from pruning my trees over the last couple of years so I'm going to give it a shot, make a raised bed and see how it goes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Velociraptors with feathers (velociraptors had feathers as well actually). So basically they're just velociraptors' bigger, heavier cousins.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

100% humidity means you are literally submerged in a lake. You guys are exaggerating :colbert:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are very few places on earth where honey bees are incapable of finding food - Antarctica, various glaciated islands, areas within the arctic circle... that's about it.

Bees will range up to about two miles from their hives to forage, so despite that commercial apiary 10km south of him, Slung Blade's bees would probably not have much competition for the local forage.

They do take some work. During the spring and early summer you need to inspect roughly weekly, maybe once every ten days. Less often during the fall. You do a harvest or two, which is labor intensive for a weekend, and just before you start getting your real winter weather, you insulate and prep the hive for winter. During winter there's very little to do.

It's a very rewarding hobby, but not something to charge in to lightly. Those who are interested should watch some youtube videos, pick up a book or two, and hook up with the local beekeeper's group for some hand-holding and advice about the local conditions.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ferremit posted:

:stare: loving hell you guys get it rough looking after bees... Here in South Australia we pretty much look at the hives about 2-3 times a YEAR, and MAYBE move them if theres not too many flowering plants in the area once a year?

I recon in the last 18 months we've moved the hives twice and raided them for honey three times and thats been the extent of our movement. Then again, it just gets lovely, damp, cold and miserable here in the winter, versus lovely, frozen, loving cold and miserable in the frozen northlands.

The main issues are that, if you're in a suburban environment (as I am) you don't want your bees to swarm (and if you want to keep your hive, you probably don't want them to swarm anyway): and, we have a lot of diseases and parasites and stuff that can crop up. The earlier you catch signs of a problem the better your chances of fixing it before you lose a hive.

If you want to avoid a swarm you need to closely monitor population as it ramps up in the spring, and add frames and boxes in a timely manner so they don't start to feel crowded. By the time succession cells start appearing it's too late, they're gonna go, and they can go from kinda crowded to making succession queens in about a week or two.

If you have like 100 hives, it's okay to loose a dozen, I guess. But if you only have one or two, an issue that you don't notice for a month is probably a loss of all of your bees.

That said: I am not a good beekeeper and tend to let them sit for a lot longer than I should without inspecting. And, I've lost my hive due to swarming twice, once due to (probably) colony collapse, and once due to (probably) mites. And this year we don't have bees because my wife is kind of done with this, she's been stung a few times and kind of doesn't like bees any more.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If I understand how frigid northern climes work, the air temperature and first foot or three of topsoil all gets super-cold (like you can have 40 below days or something insane like that), but down below the frost the earth and rock actually stays at a much more comfortable (and above-freezing) temperature. So what you do is bury a bunch of pipe and keep it flowing, and the heat exchange keeps the water liquid even when it's freezing aboveground.

Naturally this is probably really expensive.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Faerunner posted:

I've actually researched it and it seems easy enough to set up a tub full of tilapia in the basement that I eventually plan on trying it myself.

Be careful with keeping a body of water in your house! Horror story: my stepmom lives in oaklahoma and years ago she had a "lap pool" put in to her garage. Basically one of those things with jets that lets you swim in-place while it circulates the water.

Two years later she had to have the garage gutted because everything had gotten moist and stayed moist. The wood was rotting, there was mold, it was horrible (and horribly expensive). So if you put a tub of tilapia in your basement make sure you're keeping the air at an appropriate level of moisture (e.g., ventilate really well!)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't know much about buying land, but I do know that it's totally reasonable and typical for a seller of real property to expect you to be pre-approved before considering your offer. The pre-approval represents a basic check that you're creditworthy; no seller wants to get into contract with you and dick around for thirty or forty days, only to find out you were never anywhere close to qualifying for a loan and were just wasting his time.

I'll let someone else address the rest of your questions.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

angryrobots posted:

I thought you had a little storage shed? You get rid of it?

He has a little shed, but it's not for "storage", it's a workshop.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo you're doing it, you're building your bloomery! gently caress me, I can't wait to see how that comes out. Please take video when you remove the bloom and work the slag out of it!

Also when are you going to smoke some fish or make a cake or pie or something.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I eat that a lot. I like to add a bit of fresh dill and some capers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well I don't know how that guy is going to smelt anything if there's a huge gap with flames shooting out. You need a pool of molten slag at the bottom of the bloomery in order for the iron to migrate through it to the bloom. Seems like he might be losing a lot of heat that way too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Huh. OK, well, 5 pounds of iron is not very much iron, so I guess he's just working really really small and the slag only pools up to where that hole is in this video.

I think I'd want more than 5 pounds from my bloom, considering it's not 100% usable. You could make a single 5-pound hammer out of that, I guess? Maybe a medium-sized knife?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you start with 5 pounds of iron in a bloom, you are not going to end up with a 4 pound knife.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sir Cornelius posted:

Professionals works with 20% loss, but you're most likely right. In this case it would probably be a 2 pound knife, which is still a pretty large machete.

Yeah, fair enough. I would figure 20% loss if I was starting from bar stock, but I think you're going to have to do a lot more heats starting from a bloom, especially since the bloom tends to be highly heterogeneous structure - high-carbon in some places, low-carbon in others, so you'll need to work it somewhat or use different parts for different purposes or whatever.

But yeah OK, maybe two or even three knives from your bloom.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Could you smelt iron oxide? I know ceramicists use it as a glaze component, which means it's available in refined powdered form in bags of a reasonable size from ceramics supply companies.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Magnetite is a type of iron oxide :science:

Magnetite is a mineral. Iron oxide is a chemical. I took a bunch of geology and poo poo in college! Also I play Dwarf Fortress.

There are other major iron-bearing minerals of various chemical compositions, too. Hematite is also an iron oxide!

But if you're doing google searches for suppliers of iron in medium quantities (say, 20 pounds), you might get better hits from ceramic suppliers by searching for "iron oxide" rather than "magnetite".

for example

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Costello Jello posted:

But maybe not chemistry classes, because magnetite is in fact a type of iron oxide (Fe3O4).

I don't think you understand that I am not disagreeing with you, I am explaining why I made a fine distinction in terminology. Of course magnetite is made of one particular version of iron oxide.

e. But also a geologist would not point at a hunk of magenetite and say "this is iron oxide," they'd say "this is magnetite, a mineral whose primary chemical composition is iron oxide," because the latter is more precise than the former.

Geologists care about what is a rock, what is a mineral, what is a chemical. It's a taxonomoic nomenclature thing.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 16, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Show us what you did with the contents of a box labeled "BALZAC MEATS."

Also, you cook, you're a homeowner, you're extremely handy, and you lift weights. Do you have to just like, constantly brush off all the women that stick to you like socks fresh from the dryer?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here is a pretty decent rundown of canoes including the different design shapes, sizes, and materials and what they're good for.

Basically it's fine to want a lightweight canoe but there are a lot of other factors that affect what type you should get. There are a lot of canoe materials that are lighter than fibreglass, too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Saint Fu posted:

There are only 50 people in the hamlet. We can probably form a ruling coalition with very few concessions.

Canada is a parliamentary system. If Slung Blade is the executive, he must already have a ruling coalition. (Or more likely an absolute majority, no coalition required.)

In my head it's a coalition, though - the Blacksmithing and Metalworker's party caucases with the Tractor Party, and they have joined forces with the Smoked Meats and Cheesers United party. Slung Blade is the consensus leadership all parties were able to agree on to form their ruling coalition.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 12, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Can you at least abuse your title for personal gain? I don't mean embezzlement, I mean poo poo like, get some business cards printed up that say "Mayor Slung Blade" and get into VIP areas, impress women, etc. Or maybe set up a bunch of "sister city" agreements with random tiny towns in other countries and then get them to mail you some local delicacies in exchange for genuine Canadian smoked meats.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

How is mayorship going? How is your house, now you've had a couple years in it? Is the electric tractor still going well? Do you have goats? Have you smoked any cheese or salmon lately?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh man, the Slung Blade homesteading thread is back from the dead. Exciting!

I learned from another AI garage thread (adiabatic's) that if your garage door isn't tall.enough, you'll regret it (can't drive a tall converted van in through a door that is shorter even with the air let out of the tires).

Also you want a way to avoid driving through mud right before entry or you'll always have a filthy floor during the spring and fall. Are you pouring or laying down a driveway?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Doors are going to be 10x10', hopefully that's good enough. Ceiling is 12, and the door openers are going to be side mount, so I could put one of them up maybe to 11', but it didn't really seem worth it to pay the extra for a non standard door size to only get another foot. How tall is the red hot American vantasy anyway?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758670&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post455024051

I don't know if we have an exact measurement, but it was too tall by probably a foot, per that post. I think Adiabatic tried letting out the air in the tires and that still wasn't nearly enough.

It's an enormous van and I'm sure you won't own one like that, I just figured now was the time to think about it rather than later.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is that a sailboat in picture 2 there?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My dad and I made a welding table out of 1/4" plate. We used schedule 40 pipe (I think it's 2" or 2.5") as legs, and tied them together with angle iron. The top is 4x4. it sagged badly, so we had to weld reinforcing angle to the underside of the plate.

I think 1/2" plate will still sag, especially over an 8' span, so plan to weld substantial support to the underside.

e. The goal with the pipe legs is eventually to weld in some kind of caster arrangement where you can turn a crank or twist a nut or something and that would let you raise and lower the casters inside the pipe. So it'd sit solid on the floor when you're not rolling it around. I haven't gotten around to doing that but someday I probably will because the table is a bitch to move by myself.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 5, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Hydro static drives are just crazy good at going slow since there's no solid connection from motor to wheel.

I thought all automatic transmissions transfer power via a turbine immersed in a viscous fluid. E.g., no solid connection from motor to wheel. Am I wrong?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I see. Thanks for the rundown!

I think the point though is that "slow" and "uses a fluid to transfer power" are not necessarily synonymous.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I hardly ever get a chance to use my portaband, but I love it anyway, it's the best.

Does SSS have a thread for that '88 Lincoln?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Dude, cannibalism is not cool. Unless you are really hungry I guess.

Eat the rich, though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yup just run a couple ceiling rails the length of your garage and put a hoist system on them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Looks like about 0.3 Sockingtons of rust there. Not too bad.

Making and heat treating cold chisels is a great quick forging project. Hop to it, man! All you need is some tool steel round or square stock.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Have you smoked any lovely fish lately, or perhaps smithed something, or how is that backyard garden/orchard doing? Also are you still mayor?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Loved that update, and loved the ring work too. I've got a small meteorite ring, fits my pinkie. I think it was done entirely with cold work, it was brave to heat and punch that thing, were you not concerned about losing the grain pattern? It came out pretty good anyway.

Post the rhubarb chutney recipe?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

No worries, I can google rhubarb chutney recipes so don't make an effort.

Interesting that custom ring thing. The design is really nice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thanks for the recipe! That looks highly do-able, I have most of that stuff on hand, except the rhubarb and I'm out of malt vinegar.

When my neighbor brings me dozens of apples, we make apple butter, give that a try maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Leperflesh: You're welcome, it is indeed easy, and it tastes great with roasted chicken type dishes. You should be able to find rhubarb at farmer's markets, or garden farm places, it'll be frozen this time of year but that's fine it just means it a little softer for the simmering. Malt vinegar is available everywhere.

lol no I get fresh dang rhubarb from my produce market nearly year round, california is great and my produce market is extra great.

They sell malt vinegar at safeway but it's in like a tabletop bottle type thing, maybe 8-12oz or so. I need to find a larger container of it if I'm gonna follow recipes calling for 3 cups at a time kinda thing. It's a much less common ingredient in the US than it is in the UK and Canada.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My go-to is applesauce. You can eat it straight, or it can be further reduced to apple butter if you just cook it for a long time. And it can be canned. Half a crate creates like four quarts of applesauce, it's crazy how many apples you can use up that way.

Yeah we've made it into applesauce too, but once it's cooked down that far, going a bit farther to get apple butter is trivial. We are canning the apple butter too, so it lasts for years.