Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I problem with the central vac is that I vacuum up so much gross poo poo and having that gross stuff get stuck in the pipes and having to take the pipes apart to unclog it is just too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Buy a ton of emus and become "that guy with the emus"

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Where do you get the iron ore for smelting? I'm googling as hard as I can and there's just not much info on this. It looks like bog ore would be the most accessible but I don't live in a boggy climate and I would be terrible at actually identifying the ore. Do you just visit some industrial smelting plant and ask for some rocks?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I've been researching and it looks like a good source if black (iron) sand, which can usually be found in places where people pan for gold. I think I'll probably go that route.

Slung, what's the advantage of your bloomery over something like this guy's setup which seems tremendously easier and cheaper?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t6ZRpw8kPo

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Well he later posted his bloom (http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/30556-my-first-tatara-furnace/) which was 5lbs, made from 10lbs of iron oxide, so I guess it worked. In this video he shows that hole being used for letting the slag out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LO1ZgiEVUs

I thought the slag was supposed to be in there until the very end but I have no idea. Maybe using pig iron or ore is different from iron oxide.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Same place I got the clay. In which, I bought 400 pounds of magnetite :v: loving iron ore is impossible to find in quantities above "5 ounce bag" for hobby/model building purposes and below "multiple train car loads". I googled for a long drat time too.

I think some of it might have to do with the firebrick reflecting TOO much of the heat back into the bloom. The clay will dissipate a lot of it through the wall, it might have something to do with the chemistry, I don't know. This calls for experiments!

Oh you tease, simply buying magnetite like that is impossible around here I would guess. Did you find it locally or have to get it shipped for a ridiculous price?

I heard firebrick actually has the reverse problem - it absorbs a ton of heat and takes forever to warm up. The guy in the youtube coated them in refractory mortar to counter this.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Slung, I asked where you bought the magnetite and said it was the same place you got the clay, but I'm not sure you mentioned where you got the clay? What's the brand on the bag for it? Also, how much was it per bag? I found a ceramic store nearby asking $192 for a 50 pound bag of iron oxide and that sounds like bullshit to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

What's happening on the criminal former mayor front? Not sure I understand the premise that him paying it back is fine. In the US he'd pay it back, plus a poo poo load of fines, plus probably go to prison for a while.