Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'm pretty sure I already replied, but drat this is a nice house. Goon partay at your place!

My sister's old place did get retrofitted with central vac, so it's not THAT uncommon here in the states. I have a ranch house so it would be easyier than most to do, but I don't think I'd want to lug around the hose either :( I love the kickpanels, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I like the canoe mount. My parents are giving me one of their canoes and that may be a good way to store it, I'd have to look at our ceiling to make sure there's enough room, but looks promising.

What commuter car are you buying? Probably a good idea, didn't you say you have a fair distance to commute to work?

Anecdote: I filled up our newish-to-us 2001 honda civic 5spd yesterday and got 40.5mpg, our current high. This non-AC use weather is great :)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Hey slung I dunno if you'd be up to it but it may be cool to have an update tour around your place since this thread has been alive so long. I loved the build and it would be cool to relive it a little bit seeing how everything is now.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

I'll see what I can do, anything in particular you want to see?

Maybe just hit the highlights of things people usually want to see, what it looks like from the outside, your lot, kitchen, garage/shop, etc.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
How's your car coming along? I don't think I've seen the thread pop up lately in AI. Don't tell me it went to archives :(

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

The Celica project proceeds nicely, I worked on it all weekend and until 9:30 tonight after work. I am loving beat.
Trans Mountain to Tidewater Rally 2016

Garage looks cool but holy poo poo the rally is amazing.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Hot drat man, things are really coming along. Looking great.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
God drat slung, that looks awesome. Great workshop!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Double post. I'll be that guy. Can you give us a ballpark of what that's costed? I don't know about costs in canada, but I'm going to guess $30-40k to get it finished out like that?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

More than double your higher estimate. Don't have an exact figure yet because it's not done and I keep adding poo poo.

Pole barn would have been much more cost effective, but not nearly as nice in terms of insulation and final fit. Also pole barn floors are a pain in the dick to pour - you have to drill the pole footings and build everything and then pour the floor up against the sheet metal wall. Since there no frost wall above ground, I have never seen one that was rodent proof or looked totally right.

Also when I appealed to the county council for my building permit (because this is oversized for my lot) they took my meaning when I said "it will match the house" to mean "it will have siding and shingles", not just match in colour, which, yeah, my fault for not being 100% clear, but poo poo no one builds a shop in the country like this. I could have had that changed, but I would have had to appeal again, and after my initial anger subsided I actually wanted it to be built the way it is so I could have the nicest shop in town.

It's more money, but so what? :v:

Thanks, I think I'm somewhat jaded by watching people's builds on garage journal, and I didn't take the foundation/stick build into consideration. You're right, you could have saved a lot of money by doing a pole building if your climate allowed it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Wow, that puts the size into perspective. That's a great space you got there. Maybe you should consider building a mezzanine at some point to get some out of the way storage up high? Looks like you should have the room for it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I think that space behind your lawn mower in those pictures would be perfect for a nice big work/assembly table. Like 3x12 or something.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
You should get some pallet racking, you've got a lot of vertical space to work with. Plus then you could justify buying a forklift! A FORKLIFT!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

Now all I need is some pallet racking so I can store all these drat engines/tires/parts piles off the floor.

Holy poo poo yes! This will be a game changer, that is a ridiculous price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Congratulations, slung. Everything looks great!