Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I just mainlined this thread. Nice home! You have lots of room to play in; it's just a shame that the weather keeps slowing you down :v:

Thank you for sharing your adventures with us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

GabrielAisling posted:

I would find a way to attend that wedding, but the favors would have to be little knit get out frogs and handmade iron nails.:colbert:

In all seriousness, you need goats. A weather and a few nanny goats will make your life so interesting. They provide landscaping, entertainment and help to improve puzzle-solving abilities by escaping their enclosure and daring you to figure out how.

From what I remember of his plot, it may not be big enough to really support goats. Chickens, on the other hand...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ExplodingSims posted:

Decrease funding for roads posthaste! Enact the legalized gambling ordinance and let them build that toxic waste plant in town!

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Mayor Sofa is the leader this town needs.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Slung Blade posted:

Yeah but there's literally an acre of unused dirt right next door.

Clearly the solution here is to load up a cropduster with hydrochloric acid and just kind of mist that stuff over the neighboring lot.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
As someone who has been building a 400-square-foot workshop in his back yard, off and on, for over a year now, the difference between what I can accomplish on my own and what a group of skilled (and paid) professionals can accomplish is...stark. Maybe not depressing really, but sheesh these things go up fast when you can just throw money at the problem.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Slung Blade posted:

Yeah I wish I had the time/patience to build this myself, but I have the resources and I vastly prefer spending my extremely limited time on iron and cars. Keep in mind, these guys work in crews and you can accomplish a ton with a partner that takes ages solo. So don't be discouraged!

I'm not so much discouraged as I am somewhat regretting not getting some assistance. When I started this project last February, I thought I'd have it done by October -- I could probably have made that target if I'd spent 2-3 hours a day on it almost every day, instead of spending about 1.5 days/week on it. Or maybe I would have sawed my arm off in a state of extreme fatigue, who knows.

But on the plus side, I did literally everything on this project myself except for a) the foundation (a concrete slab, ha ha ha I know better than to try that solo), b) materials delivery, and c) lifting some of the wall panels into their upright positions.

EDIT:

Splizwarf posted:

Two together can do the work of three alone.

Man, ain't that the truth. The amount of time I spent setting up jigs to hold things in place, walking back and forth between my saw and the installation site, measuring and re-measuring, etc. that could have been cut down by just having a partner is pretty huge. And then there's poo poo like lifting a 60-pound plywood sheet up onto the roof...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Jesus, that panel is huge. You planning on converting this thing to a grow house later? :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Looking good! Also jesus that's a huge building, now that I have a cement truck for scale. Have you thought of installing solar on the roof? Am I imagining things, or do you have a double sole plate, ordinary lumber on top of pressure-treated? I wonder why it was done that way.

Pumping liquid concrete is the weirdest thing. Imagine a 6"-diameter hose running from the cement mixer to the place where the stuff's being poured, and every few seconds, the hose jerks forward and then back again. I wish I had a video from when I got my workshop's slab installed; there was just this gigantic python spasming across my back yard.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Slung Blade posted:

The pressure treated lumber was built in with the cement when they poured the foundation, the other sole plate just makes it easier to frame, they build it on flat ground, and lift in one piece to vertical.

Hm, how's the pressure-treated lumber connected to the foundation, then? I was expected the foundation to have embedded J-bolts that the sole plate would be bolted to.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the close-up on those anchor bolts. That's some pretty burly hardware there. I'm guessing you're not in earthquake country, but you do get a lot of wind?

The garage is looking good!

Motronic: isn't using plywood for interior wall finishing somewhat dangerous from a fire safety perspective? I thought one of the main reasons to use drywall was that it was somewhat fire-retardant.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Also - this is an outbuilding. If it gets cooking it's done anyway with no other harm done to anything. Obviously I'd like to avoid that, but the walls are hardly going to be the problem in a scenario like that: it's gonna be the contents and there's nothing but grass to protect outside of it.

Right, okay. I hadn't realized you were talking about your outbuilding when you mentioned using plywood. Carry on!

Slung Blade posted:

Motronic: it's just plain drywall inside, not getting it taped or mudded or anything. Drywall was my cheapest option.

Be glad you don't have to install it yourself, even without the taping/mudding. Drywall is a pain in the rear end to work with, heavy and fragile.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

I absolutely HATE rocking ceilings.

I think I might still have the pieces for my patent pending engine crane to drywall lift conversion around somewhere.

That looks amazing, but how well does it handle angled ceilings? That's the hell I'm going through right now. At least I only need to put up a 4'x2' section at a time (enclosing the soffits at the gable ends of my workshop), which is light enough that I can hold it in position with one hand while the other hand grabs my drill, puts a screw on the screwdriver bit, and drives the screw. All while up a ladder, of course. :shepface:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Edit: You do have drywall bits, right?

Makes life so much easier.

Oh god dammit. Figures. No, I just got good at stopping the drill at the right time.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

dreesemonkey posted:

Double post. I'll be that guy. Can you give us a ballpark of what that's costed? I don't know about costs in canada, but I'm going to guess $30-40k to get it finished out like that?

My workshop's a lot smaller (384 square feet, and only 12' tall at the ridge) and will, I estimate, have cost me around $25k by the time it's done -- half of which was taken up by the concrete slab. And I supplied all of the labor for everything except the slab myself, so that pricetag is just for the slab and materials and tools (granted, I get to keep the tools afterwards). Now, I am in the San Francisco Bay Area, which probably raises my prices somewhat, but I'd still guess that Slung Blade is going to be hitting $50k at bare minimum for this, and probably significantly more.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Just rig all four walls so they can swing up out of the way. Support the entire structure with a pillar in each corner.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Got any scrap plywood? You could use it to make a temporary walkway for pushing things along.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Slung Blade posted:

It absolutely would sag, so the plan is to use probably 3" square tubing with a 1/4 or 3/8ths wall thickness to build a mega strong and heavy box frame to support the plate.

It would be nice to use it as a machinist bench so the flatter I can keep it, the better.

If this is going to go up against a wall, 4' of depth is probably overkill, in that you'd have trouble reaching stuff on the far edge of the table. It makes more sense if the table will be out in the middle of the room so you can easily access all four edges.

If you want a really flat table, you could see if any local universities have any optical tables they don't need any more. Of course, those also usually have a grid of threaded holes drilled in them (they're basically used as the optical equivalent of a breadboard, for setting up lasers and microscopes and so on). But hell, maybe you could find a use for all the holes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

helno posted:

Going to need a garage addition to store your fiances car.

Just one car? I half expect that she'll bring another half-dozen vehicles to the household. One of them will be an excavator or a cherrypicker or something else weirdly exotic.

In any case, congratulations! Also, that TV stand is pretty awesome.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Good lord dude, you've been busy. I look at what I've accomplished in the past ~six months and it does not remotely compare. Well done.

With the addition, how big is your house now?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

When my neighbor brings me dozens of apples, we make apple butter, give that a try maybe.

My go-to is applesauce. You can eat it straight, or it can be further reduced to apple butter if you just cook it for a long time. And it can be canned. Half a crate creates like four quarts of applesauce, it's crazy how many apples you can use up that way.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

nikosoft posted:

Thank you for the update! It's always interesting to see what is new on the SB farm!

:yeah:

Y'all make me jealous with those gorgeous views, open land, and all the crafts and cooking. Please tell me the weather's miserable most of the time or something so I don't feel so bad about living in California.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Glad to see you're back in action, and sorry about your arm.

Those projects all look fantastic. Well, the bike rack is a bike rack, it looks non-broken. :v:

If you had to guess, about how much of your canned food do you eat yourself vs. give away?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I am seriously impressed you were able to move an entire building like that. It's amazing what mechanical advantage will let you do.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Those look great! And curtains aren't terribly hard to sew; I've done it and my total sewing experience consists of...one project, making curtains :downs:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Wow, those are some gorgeous photos of the countryside from your hunting. Is that all grazing land normally, or is it just wilderness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Good photos, thank you for continuing to share updates!

How much effort does it take for your family to get through two deers worth of meat?