Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So... Anything you don't do? Good lord man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Raised planters or even a few stacked truck tires to hold better soil will be just fine I'm sure.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Slung Blade posted:

Man what the gently caress? Someone hydrovacced the gas and electric lines last week? What the gently caress for?

Oh.

(man I really need to sand and primer this wood and repaint it, gross)

Huh. Whatever this is it looks pretty big.

Kinda moist down there... Must be an underground stream, this is one of the dryest springs/winters I have ever experienced.

Oh I see now. It's a foundation for a fuckoff huge workshop. Rad.

So yeah, several attempts at gardening failed for lack of consistently commit-able time and a vague disinterest on my part means that I have this huge yard and a bunch of grass that I hate mowing. Also, a complete desire to continue my pursuit of ironwork, welding, and fixing cars, but a lack of space to do so (because my existing garage is packed to the gills and I have to spend an hour excavating before I can accomplish anything). Solution: a 40' long, 30' wide and 12' interior ceiling shop with room for two lifts and a buttload of tools (maybe even a lathe and mill) with enough electrical power cabling to run all of it without hanging extension cords everywhere.

Buckle up folks, we're back in hardware mode :getin:

loving killer. What kind of shed?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Doors on both sides!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Got any scrap plywood? You could use it to make a temporary walkway for pushing things along.

Or just drill a pair of hole and drag it like a sled.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Too sterile.

You need a Journey poster on the wall. Something.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Thanks.

Sigh.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Slung Blade posted:

They only tolerate polygamy in bountiful BC. And that's only the "dude with n+1 wives" variety, I think "lady with n+1" sort means instant hellfire there.

Like maybe three? They just have to show up to all the itty bitty city committees and participate.

It's cool I can make cheeseburgers and McCain superfries with the best.

Dude, cannibalism is not cool. Unless you are really hungry I guess.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Slung Blade posted:

I forged five handles for a fire set yesterday, then I baked four more batches of Christmas cookies, for a total of eight this year.

This isn't all of them, gave some of them away already.

I hope that's enough.

Let's see these forged handles.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I was feeling good about assembling an Ikea glass cabinet today until I saw this post.

Good stuff man.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Rope and pully system. Boom and mast. You can do it!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Slung Blade posted:

As you may remember from previous posts, several years ago, my grandparents gave me their old truck, a 1990 ford f-150. As these things tend to go, I grew up around this truck during family camping vacations and just hanging out with grandpa and grandma when I was a kid / teen. As of five years ago, grandpa couldn't really reliably drive and they don't camp anymore, so they didn't have much use for the poor old thing. I couldn't bear to see them get rid of it, it was too nice (mostly) and I'm clearly too sentimental about cars, so I asked if I could have it. They seemed happy that I wanted it and were glad to help me out at the time, as I wasn't nearly as financially secure then as I am now.

That said, it wasn't perfect. This was a few years ago, the paint on the hood was classic 90s ford single stage and was peeling, cracking, flaking off, and causing the sheet metal to rust. I don't have many pictures of the hood before, I really should have grabbed some.

I got a 87 manual 4x4 extended cab 302 I bought for my garden and what not. Love how roomy it is to work in.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Seriously dude....

I hate/love you.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Good stuff!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Supra will make a decent mad max themed daily driver.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Slung Blade posted:

After removing the rusty strip, I treated the area with chassis saver marine clean and metal prep.

Likewise on the bumper mounts.

Hmm, can's getting a little rusty. That's kind of ironic. Eh, I'm sure it's fine.

Oh.

Fortunately the dried layer wasn't too thick, and it's still good underneath.

Painted the rusty bits. (only the really bad stuff, I'm not worried about a little surface rust here and there.)

Then I cut the patch panel and flanged it with my little air flanger.

Ground off the coating on the inside of the trunk, it lines up not too bad.

Not perfect, but not awful.

Cleaned and weld-through primer-ed.

Then, instead of welding the whole thing, switch convinced me to try 3M panel gap adhesive. It's basically epoxy, but it comes with a neat 2 cylinder applicator gun.

And a bunch of these absolutely ridiculous mixing nozzles.

Apply it, clamp it on, and weld the curvier bits where you need to.

Welds are pretty lovely, but those were just extras, I re-used the old spot weld holes as plug welds so it's plenty good enough.

The panel adhesive works... ok I suppose. Probably meant more for modern cars where these panels can line up and not have to be right flush with each other. In retrospect I would have been better off welding it all.

The gap isn't awesome. But it'll do.

The gap on the underside is pretty bad where the inner fender rusted away, I need to seal this up with something. Not quite sure what I should do here yet, I don't want to weld a panel in there, and it still needs to drain.

That was about a month ago. Today I cleaned the garage and put a little bondo on the panel to blend it in.

Gonna take a lot of sanding here.

Last week I picked up some toyota bits that McTinkerson was kind enough to buy for me back in January and store at his place up near Edmonton. I brought these back last wednesday and unloaded them on the weekend.

A partially rebuilt Toyota 5M inline 6, two doors with electronic locks and windows plus good glass, and a pile of tires and nice OEM wheels. An ECU for the engine, tail lights, corner markers, and a license plate holder. I took them off the truck with the forklift and up onto the shelf they go for now.

The tires on the wheels are done, but that's ok.

Back to the Dodge, I need to drill a 5" hole in the new fuel tank and I think I want to use the drill press for that, so I cleared a spot and brought it in from the smithy.

It's finally looking like spring around here, hopefully if this 30-90cm of snow build up melts this week I can get back to working on the cars on the regular.

And I feel accomplished when I change a wiper motor...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Cool progress shots.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

You did this all for a girl friend?

Lordy what you gonna do for your wife?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Baller ring dude. Yeah time to make a play room addition and yard structure.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Still 100% man even with the busted wing. Thanks for sharing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Slung Blade posted:

Fuckin hell I should update this thread sometime eh?

I'll post some pictures soon, but we were in Australia all of April.

All good things in time im sure.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Looks awesome dude.

You ever make axe heads/knives for sale or any other random metal tool pieces?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hrm. I don’t think shipping on a fire poker would work out very well. We do bon fires in a fairly large pit and I’ve been using a lovely old hoe for years now and want to upgrade. Also I’m in the US so yeah.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nice!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dude, that rocks. My sews a lot and I considered buying her one for projects like that but she laughed at me and said go look at the price...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Slung Blade posted:

I didn't get it quite as neat as mom did, but it's good enough and I am happy with it.

That's pretty dope dude.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

lol sorry about the thumb there but amazing pics as usual.

love the canvass work

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Man I think I played some video games and payed some bills in the same amount of time.

Great stuff.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dope little(big) ride!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nice update! Time to get a real job eh?