Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Slung Blade posted:

The water shouldn't be salty enough to stain clothes, and it's safe (according to the well report done just after it was drilled) to drink and shower in.

If it's safe for you to drink, then it's good enough for the garden too. We're just as salt-intolerant as plants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

I also found the giant hose was way more of a pain than a regular vacuum. I do love the idea of having a vacuum port in my kitchen though.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Slung Blade posted:

The drywall guy came out yesterday and patched that gaping hole in the ceiling. He remudded it again this morning, he only had 1/2" drywall, and my house was built with 5/8ths. At least that's how he put it.

It's probably just your garage. 1/2" is indeed the most common thickness for a house interior, but at least in the States, most places have codes that require your garage to have 5/8", due to its increased fire resistance.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Slung Blade posted:

Then it started getting seriously nasty outside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfSyfzOoHGA

That is one biblical-looking storm.

Does the flatness and lack of trees of your area ever get to you? I was in Oklahoma City for awhile and while it definitely has its own kind of beauty, it was also depressing to me, and a bit mind-numbing somehow. Eventually I mostly got used to it, but when I left and moved to an area with actual trees and hills and mountains, I was SO happy.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

ack! posted:

my dog run around the area.

Looks like a dream sequence or flash back in a movie before something really horrible happens.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Slung Blade posted:

The rhubarb plant I stole from a dead man is doing incredibly well.

I think that's the first and last time I'll ever hear that sentence. I've never had salmon jerky before, but it definitely looks good.

What size population does your town/surrounding area have?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

I guess if I lived in a prairie, I'd have to invent creative uses for a hatchet too. :)

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Don't tell me you never read that! :D

I have read that. No book ever made powdered orange drink sound so delicious.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

madlilnerd posted:

Who really looks that closely at a roof anyway? Dents, schments.

People on the Great Plains. It really is silly to get a metal roof there, because the whole point of a metal roof is that you pay a fuckton of money, but then it lasts forever. But not through a major hail storm.

Nothing is immune to the power of hail!

standard roofing shingles:

stone:

or metal:

These pics and video are all from Oklahoma:

And finally, video, because that's what is truly impressive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFv2W7Duqiw

My mother lost a roof, one window, and all vegetation in her yard in this storm.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

madlilnerd posted:

But seriously, why would you live where tennis balls made of ice fall from the sky?

Well, you can get a house for $200,000 that would cost $600,000 in a place that hasn't been forsaken by God and colonized by hillbillies.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Blistex posted:

The vertical steel stuff looks like it should be on a barn

Standing seam roofs can look really good on the right house, but that usually means a more modern design that was built specifically with that style of roof in mind.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Wandering Knitter posted:

There's a line, sister. :colbert:

I do think chickens might be a good idea. Just think of the fresh eggs!

Are you accusing madlilnerd of being so old her ovaries have turned to dust?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

So basically they're just velociraptors' bigger, heavier cousins.

I guess even dinosaurs hated their family reunions.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

100% humidity means you are literally submerged in a lake. You guys are exaggerating :colbert:

No, 100% humidity means something a little more boring, that the air can't hold any more water vapor at that temperature.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Making an excessively over built coop is right up your alley too. This was ours fresh out of the garage but imagine it with hand tooled iron handles on the doors!

I've got a miniature gay Pride flag if you end up having hens that just aren't interested in the cock.

That's a great color you chose for the paint.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Is the well water just for your garden, or does it come into your house?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

thegoat posted:

This guy builds a geodesic dome and fills it with aquaponics. It looks neat.

This video series is pretty awesome. I can't see myself ever spending $20,000 and that much work on gardening, but it's very interesting to learn about.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Slung Blade posted:

:stare: what am I doing oh gently caress

What ARE you doing, I don't get it.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Slung Blade posted:

Fired the giant clay dildo yesterday. Cracked up and slumped, but we'll see how it works. (disastrously probably :D )

What's that gray thing on the bucket, a fan?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

xThrasheRx posted:

I made myself a bagel with cream cheese, red onion and cold smoked salmon the other day and it is probably the best food you can eat in the morning.

Absolutely my number one breakfast item. I can't get the amazing quality cured smoked salmon that I could in NYC now, so maybe I should learn how to do this also.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Probably he buys pig iron, I'd imagine.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Slung Blade posted:

Three whole international 660s welded together on a single steel frame, steered hydraulically from the Captain's chair. Built because the farmer's needed big horsepower for their land and couldn't get anything bigger at the time. :black101:

Wow that's absolutely nuts. Looks like it'd have a poor turning radius, though. You have an electric tractor? Did you convert it yourself? How's the torque on it compare to a comparable diesel tractor?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Magnetite is a mineral. Iron oxide is a chemical. I took a bunch of geology and poo poo in college!

But maybe not chemistry classes, because magnetite is in fact a type of iron oxide (Fe3O4).

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

GabrielAisling posted:

I keep telling people about the slow race, but nobody seems to find it nearly as exciting and/or entertaining as I do, not even my sister, who has far more experience driving the things than I do. How is an event where tractors intentionally go extremely slow not hilarious?

Especially one where Slungblade shows up with his crazy homemade electric tractor to defeat the man who cared so much about the race that he built a custom gearbox for his tractor and had won the last 5 years. Talk about Shakespearean drama.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Finding a girl you'd actually want to date in small towns surrounded by vast rural areas isn't so easy. I totally recommend moving to a big city for anyone who's unhitched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Your electric tractor amazes me. Is that a bunch of marine batteries? What's your wiring scheme?

I really want to get a canoe, but I'd like a really light fiberglass one because I've got health problems that make dealing with the heavy plastic ones a real pain. And they are pretty expensive it turns out.