Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

:v::hf::fap:

Also: Welcome to sunny Alberta!

gently caress. :smith:

Snowing? In May? :canada:

Better get started on that greenhouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

How about people who spend 90 minutes using a hand saw to cut through an 18" diameter log because they're too cheap to buy a chainsaw?

I did that last night and now I'm kinda sore. Gotta get back to smithing asap.

When I moved into my current apartment, I had a couch that didn't fit in any doorways, or any windows. I measured it, and figured out it actually would fit into my window if I removed the couches back. I stripped off the upholstery but then realized I had to somehow saw off the back, since the wood was all stapled together in a way that made most of it impossible to take apart (surprisingly, manufacturers don't expect you to want to take apart their couch and then rebuild it).

So the obvious answer was to saw it off! Only, I didn't have a saw... or did I?

I sawed half of the couch apart with a 2.5 inch leatherman before going "Screw it, I'm getting a sawzall." My hands killed me for about a week after.

But I got it through the window! Took a week to take it apart, get it through the window, and rebuild it (with screws this time, gently caress nails). I even took pictures of the entire process to document my failure (and so I'd remember how to rebuild it). The whole thing was such I mess I almost wanted to make a thread about it.

Insurrectum fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 8, 2010

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

Wanting to do something and actually doing it are pretty different.

Cool as it is, probably never gonna happen. It would definitely have to be seasonal anyway, winter heating would be a killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCIqChs9nCk

He actually follows all the way through to completion, it's a great 12-part series. The guy is located in Connecticut so while it's not nearly as cold as were you are, it does get frosty.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

I learned on a South Bend in our school's machine shop—wonderful machine. The machinist who taught me said he saw it for sale 8 hours away (mid-atlantic -> upstate new york) and immediately called the seller to make an offer, rented a truck that could handle it, and drove up that evening to claim it.