Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This seems extremely excessive

Yeah, but there was some talk of pastry and coffee and it isn't that far from my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

It is, but it's also standard for a federal grand jury.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sounds like you'll get to make some new friends. After my trial 6 or 7 of the jurors walked out of the courthouse all chattering and seemed like they were best buds and likely headed to a bar. And that was only 9 days or so.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

Sounds like you'll get to make some new friends. After my trial 6 or 7 of the jurors walked out of the courthouse all chattering and seemed like they were best buds and likely headed to a bar. And that was only 9 days or so.

That is the way I'm looking at it. I don't have a good excuse why I can't participate. I hope your trial went okay for you.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

I thought the same about rehab

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Anderson Koopa posted:

That is the way I'm looking at it. I don't have a good excuse why I can't participate. I hope your trial went okay for you.

Thank you. I was found guilty of having the largest bird penis in Multnomah county.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Birds have a cloaca

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Not all birds.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ducks famously have a corkscrew dick

they gently caress the female's cloaca with it i guess, i don't really know and don't care to find out

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
A cloaca is not mutually exclusive with a dick.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
This is the legal chat I'm here for.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If you had some largely cash based side hustles and wanted to hide the money from a bankruptcy court what would you do with it? Get a safe? Hide it in your house? Safe deposit box? Do bankruptcy courts ever get so fed up with debtors activities that they search their homes or have a PI watch them for a week?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

If you had some largely cash based side hustles and wanted to hide the money from a bankruptcy court what would you do with it? Get a safe? Hide it in your house? Safe deposit box? Do bankruptcy courts ever get so fed up with debtors activities that they search their homes or have a PI watch them for a week?

Call Saul Goodman, probably

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Here's a stupid scenario I hope I can fix before it escalates:

E: I think I'll go with rule #2 and make some calls.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 27, 2024

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

I recently got a summons for federal grand duty that involved meeting up to twice a week for 18 months, with the potential to extend it for a further 6.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
When your mom gets sued for dumping her excess water in the neighbor's lawn the phrase you will want to Google is "riparian lawyer near me."

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Video games have taught me people keep large amounts of cash and gold on bank safe deposit boxes.

I doubt anyone remembers, but several years ago I asked questions here about getting a lawyer for my sister, for her Social Security Disability application. After applying, denial (7 months wait), filling an appeal, waiting another 15 months, a hearing... Her disability starts in April! Total time about 2 years. (She broke her neck, and is now a partial quad)
Hind sight is I wish we could have started the process when she was living off her GoFundMe. I had no idea it was so slow. A Minnesota disability resource center found us a lawyer that won't take a cut of the checks, too! They even did a practice hearing with her so she wasn't surprised by questions during the administrative appeal.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Congrats for your sister. Yes, the disability process is long and arduous.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Arkhamina posted:

I had no idea it was so slow. A Minnesota disability resource center found us a lawyer that won't take a cut of the checks, too! They even did a practice hearing with her so she wasn't surprised by questions during the administrative appeal.

Congrats. Sadly, it's reality that most people don't realize how broken our systems are until they need them and you don't need them until you're in a tight spot.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

How does jury duty work at a federal level? I'm completely ignorant about this, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. It looks like the 9th circuit is most western part of the US including Alaska and Hawaii. Does that mean if you live in Alaska or Hawaii, you could get called for jury duty in California or Nevada?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
It's the district in which you live, not the circuit. Like eastern district of Texas or northern district of California. Alaska has one district, so if you live anywhere in Alaska you can get called to serve. Arizona has one, Virginia has two California has four, and so on.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

BigHead posted:

It's the district in which you live, not the circuit. Like eastern district of Texas or northern district of California. Alaska has one district, so if you live anywhere in Alaska you can get called to serve. Arizona has one, Virginia has two California has four, and so on.

And beyond that, it’s typically (always?) the division of the district which you live in, which basically corresponds to “nearest federal courthouse.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Kalman posted:

And beyond that, it’s typically (always?) the division of the district which you live in, which basically corresponds to “nearest federal courthouse.”

Yep; I served on a jury for the Eastern District of Virginia, so I went to the courthouse in Alexandria and the jury pool was basically just people in northern Virginia. One juror was actually dismissed because he lived far enough away that his travel pay was allowed to be a hotel room instead of just mileage, but then the budget for the room ran out (or something to that effect).