Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

The leap from 'should be barred from owning firearms' to 'any idea of rehabilitation' is a pretty big one, and not one that I've made.

It's all on a spectrum, but you're using the exact arguments people use for all levels of denying rights and rehabilitation opportunities to people who have committed crimes. You might not like being compared to people who are farther along the spectrum than you are, but you sound just like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Yeah. There’s actually a minor, but extant, collector’s market in state revenue stamps for illegal drugs. Since, since the laws say you have to have them, the state departments of revenue produced them.

The US Postal Museum in DC has a large stamp gallery. The revenue stamps were quite interesting. They had whole books of marijuana stamps, and huge stamps for whole traincars of wine or other alcohol.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
lol at the dude getting body slammed off the top of a cage through a table by Gandalf the gray

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

joat mon posted:

$1000/dose for other drugs sold by dose ($1000 minimum)

That seems a bit excessive. How's a guy supposed to make an honest living if he has to charge $1010 for a hit of acid?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Skunkduster posted:

That seems a bit excessive. How's a guy supposed to make an honest living if he has to charge $1010 for a hit of acid?

Whoops, I messed up. It's 'only' $1000 per 50 dosage units

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
What's the purpose of tax stamps for this stuff? Is it some vestigial law from before it was illegal?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

sleepy.eyes posted:

What's the purpose of tax stamps for this stuff? Is it some vestigial law from before it was illegal?

A way to arrest you if you don't get them and nobody gets them.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

I have absolutely zero idea where you got "voting, et cetera" from. I said nothing about barring people from voting for any reason, so saying you think I think they ought to be banned from voting is putting words in my mouth, and the 'et cetera' is an even further leap. I do think dumb felonies should not be dumb felonies, but the problem there is not 'felony blocks firearms' but 'this shouldn't be a felony,'. I'm also fine with 'deliberately causing major property damage' being a felony in general and that leading to someone being barred from firearms, I don't want someone keeping and bearing arms while they're going through parking lots keying cars and I don't think that's disproportionate at all.

I got "voting, et cetera" from things are taken away from felons, not from anything you said, thanks for clarifying. You've said dumb felonies shouldn't be dumb felonies, and people who commit felonies deserve to have their 2A rights taken away; does it matter to you whether they know the medium-bad thing they're doing is actually a dumb felony in their jurisdiction?

Does the fact that "felony blocks firearms" is there to keep guns out of the hands of black Americans trouble you, as a 2A enthusiast?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

sleepy.eyes posted:

a way to get money from and additional penalties on people who are caught

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Something something Al Capone something Tax Evasion

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I have a legal question about property law in Texas.

Ok, here goes.

In Texas, if I buy a car while married, but the car is solely in my name, does my wife have right to do anything with the car like sell it, put it up as collateral, etc, without my permission?

More specifically of an example, if a contract is written up regarding the car, and lists the contract only under her name, and doesn't name me, is the contract binding?

-

From what I read, the wife in this scenario only is entitled to "my" car or its value, in the event of a divorce. Which is not the case here.

Anyways. Hope this isn't an absolutely stupid question. Thanks.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Where did the money to buy the car come from

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

More specifically of an example, if a contract is written up regarding the car, and lists the contract only under her name, and doesn't name me, is the contract binding?
1. Get a lawyer

2. Property acquired during the marriage is community property, unless [lists the three or four exceptions], but your question doesn't appear to be about community property, it's ostensibly about a contract, and whether the contract is enforceable, like for example your wife sold your car and now you're trying to balk at the deal, or maybe she signed the car up for some modifications or repairs and you're trying to get out of paying for them.

The enforceability of the contract depends on half a dozen factors, including, but not limited to what the contract was for, and who's name is on the title, and whether the other party performed, and blah blah blah

3. Good luck with your divorce, get a lawyer

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Where did the money to buy the car come from

Good question.

What are the responses for:

-Joint account. (Clearly both)
-All from husband (clearly just hubby)
Or
Unknown? (Not easily traceable/ not clear)

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

blarzgh posted:

1. Get a lawyer
thays what you fine people are for

quote:

2. Property acquired during the marriage is community property, unless [lists the three or four exceptions], but your question doesn't appear to be about community property, it's ostensibly about a contract, and whether the contract is enforceable, like for example your wife sold your car and now you're trying to balk at the deal, or maybe she signed the car up for some modifications or repairs and you're trying to get out of paying for them.

The enforceability of the contract depends on half a dozen factors, including, but not limited to what the contract was for, and who's name is on the title, and whether the other party performed, and blah blah blah
Feel like we're glossing over the key issue or subject of the Question here.

quote:

3. Good luck with your divorce, get a lawyer
Lol, I'm not getting a divorce!! This ain't about me, but I thought I'd skip the "question about a friend, let's call him.. Bana..na.. la." B.s.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

blarzgh posted:

maybe she signed the car up for some modifications

I hope this goon's wife was having a sweet turbocharger installed on his car.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Look up separate vs community property and see if you can establish where the money that purchased the car came from. It’s community property unless you can show that it isn’t

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Sorry I wasn't asking about the account, but the source of the money. Whose income bought the car?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

bird with big dick posted:

I hope this goon's wife was having a sweet turbocharger installed on his car.

Make sure to keep the receipts! If the car gets totaled within a year the insurance company will usually pay out the cost for the mods. After a year things get dicier.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

EwokEntourage posted:

Look up separate vs community property and see if you can establish where the money that purchased the car came from. It’s community property unless you can show that it isn’t

ok man i come back from a year of not posting and you just steal my thunder

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Sorry I wasn't asking about the account, but the source of the money. Whose income bought the car?

Hmm. I don't know theure finances.

I know both him and her are employed.

So either shared income bought the car, or indistinguishable/indeterminate income (which I'll assume is tantamount to "shared income") bought the car.

So it really doesn't matter that it's just his name.. and maybe a finance company on the title? For a contract? Hmph.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

ok man i come back from a year of not posting and you just steal my thunder

You haven't posted? Didn't notice

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

The Bananana posted:

Hmm. I don't know theure finances.

I know both him and her are employed.

So either shared income bought the car, or indistinguishable/indeterminate income (which I'll assume is tantamount to "shared income") bought the car.

So it really doesn't matter that it's just his name.. and maybe a finance company on the title? For a contract? Hmph.

Go pay a lawyer, say hi to your ex wife from me.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

thays what you fine people are for

I do NOT CREATE JOINDER

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

blarzgh posted:

I do NOT CREATE JOINDER

Lol. It's too late. We're, you and I, due in divorce court, apparently, tomorrow at.. idk, 8? Let's say 8. You bring the beer.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Bananana posted:

Lol. It's too late. We're, you and I, due in divorce court, apparently, tomorrow at.. idk, 8? Let's say 8. You bring the beer.

Legally speaking, who in the courtroom is worth the most points if we nail 'em with the empties?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

members of the press? or maybe the bailiff

ooh the artist who draws the people in the courtroom, its that guy for sure

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

members of the press? or maybe the bailiff

ooh the artist who draws the people in the courtroom, its that guy for sure

Don't throw empties at the court painter, they give us the best parts of courtroom drama.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Where is my counsel? These beers ain't gonna throw themselves

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

joat mon posted:

Whoops, I messed up. It's 'only' $1000 per 50 dosage units

Would that mean you could only sell your LSD in quantities of 50 and stick a tax stamp on the cellophane cigarette pack wrapper you pack them in?

Also, is this even something that gets added for charges for non-cartel levels of drug possession? I occasional look through the jail roster in my county and see plenty of people in for dealing drugs, but I've never seen a tax stamp charge on their list of charges.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

All this tax talk but none of it the really interesting taxes, shame.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Skunkduster posted:

Would that mean you could only sell your LSD in quantities of 50 and stick a tax stamp on the cellophane cigarette pack wrapper you pack them in?
If you possess less than 10 doses you don't need a stamp.
You can put a 50 dose stamp on a 10 pack if you want.
The wrapper has to be closed by the stamp so that the stamp is torn when the package is opened.
Reusing a stamp carries the same penalty as not having a stamp.

Skunkduster posted:

Also, is this even something that gets added for charges for non-cartel levels of drug possession? I occasional look through the jail roster in my county and see plenty of people in for dealing drugs, but I've never seen a tax stamp charge on their list of charges.
Absolutely.
Let's talk non-cartel levels first.
Simple possession is a mixture or substance containing any detectable amount of a controlled drug
Possession with intent to distribute is possession of any detectable amount with additional evidence that you did give or sell, or intended to give or sell any detectable amount. (Multiple baggies, text messages, a scale, cash, etc)
Trafficking is possession above a certain amount. That's it. No intent to sell or distribute, no gang, no network, no dealing, no nothing, just simple possession of x amount.
Eg.:
meth trafficking=20 grams
LSD trafficking=1 gram
Cocaine trafficking=28g (before 2019, crack cocaine trafficking was only 5 grams* while powder cocaine was 28g)
Marijuana trafficking=25 pounds
MDMA trafficking =30 tablets/10 grams
Remember, the grams are for "a mixture or substance containing a detectable amount" of controlled drug
So 12 grams of meth with 10 grams of cut is trafficking.
20 doses of LSD on a 1/4 sheet of paper (a little over a gram) is trafficking. 1 dose on a 4 gram sugar cube is trafficking.

Even aggravated trafficking isn't cartel levels.
Meth, 200g
LSD, 10g
Coke 300g
MJ 1000 lbs
MDMA 100 tabs/30g
Aggravated trafficking is the same sentence range, you just have to serve 85% of your time vs 50% for 'regular' trafficking

I've had 3 or 4 of these in 5 years on a trial docket. Extrapolating that would get to about 8-11 cases with drug tax charges filed per year in a county of 600k people.

Every one of my drug tax stamp cases were African-Americans possessing from 7 grams (the minimum for the tax stamp charge) to 25 grams of crack cocaine.
Hardly cartel amounts. Cartel amounts 1) wouldn't have a PD, 2) would have gotten picked up by the feds.

Not all states have drug tax stamps, and not all that do have them push it. NC (not my state) goes nuts with it.

*up until 2015, if you had 2 simple drug possession prior convictions (3 if at least one was marijuana) and you picked up a trafficking case (Like 5 g of crack) there was only one possible sentence; life in prison without the possibility of parole. Even first degree murder allows life with the possibility of parole.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soulhunter posted these in the AI thread and I thought of this thread.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

To be fair, it's a nice change from "MESOTHELIOMA?!?!?!?" And "INJURED?;?!?!"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Disbarred after he won a big payment for wrongful death and it turned out the victim was faking it.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

joat mon posted:

Absolutely.
Let's talk non-cartel levels first.

Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed response. It's possible that the ones I've seen on the jail rosters are under the limit, or maybe they just don't push it in Minnesota or have tax stamp laws.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

https://www.minnpost.com/state-government/2024/03/on-the-repeal-list-minnesotas-tax-on-illegal-drugs-that-brings-in-zero-dollars-in-revenue

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

For street level dealers, is there any legal benefit to claiming their profits from drug sales when they file taxes? Like, when it comes to court, is the judge going to offer leniency or a reduced charge because they paid their taxes on the money they earned from selling drugs?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Skunkduster posted:

For street level dealers, is there any legal benefit to claiming their profits from drug sales when they file taxes? Like, when it comes to court, is the judge going to offer leniency or a reduced charge because they paid their taxes on the money they earned from selling drugs?

Only insofar as the revenue services can go after them for tax fraud. As I understand it, the IRS doesn't really care where the money comes from, as long as it's properly accounted for in your return. Same with tips, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Skunkduster posted:

In a sense yes because you’ve broken one less law, so there’s one less thing they can charge you with. But they won’t go easier on you on the drug charges themselves.