Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sorry about your meme stock losses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

joat mon posted:

I don't know bankruptcy, but I do know what a flag is, and what the color red looks like.

Yeah, the whole thing seems like a red flag. Full of people swearing that a billionaire will save the company and make everyone rich while insisting that you totally don't need anyone with expertise to look closer because it'll all be taken care of and subtly implying you may accidentally prevent the friendly billionaires from rescuing your investment if you do. All while making vague references to Q anon and how this company may be truly hosed by corrupt child traffickers unless you vote for Trump so he can help the good kind altruistic billionaires save you.

The fact all the grifters went absolutely nuts over a guy claiming professional expertise made me think he might have been on the right track. That and the fact they doxxed him so he's not a completely crazy anonymous person.

If they hadn't doxxed him then I'd have thought he was lying but once they doxxed him and started implying he was an enemy sent to distract everyone from getting rich (instead of questioning his expertise), I started thinking, maybe that guy actually is an expert like he claims and it might be worth it for people to have a professional take a closer look.

BigHead posted:

If you need a bankruptcy attorney and have no idea where to start, you can Google "state bar association referral service." Call the line or navigate the referral website looking for a bankruptcy attorney and start calling their offices until you find one that will take your case.

Thank you!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hi, I'm in VA and my wife's car (a Subaru) was just towed. She was definitely parked somewhere she shouldn't have been (in a private lot), but they towed it with a normal ol' tow truck instead of a flatbed, and Subarus are apparently only supposed to be towed on flatbeds as their AWD can get all mucked up if they are towed with two wheels on the ground. She has warning lights going off all over her dash now and we're taking it in to get it serviced to see what the damage is.

My question is this: are tow companies liable for damaging a car while towing it?

e: I found this law which, if I'm understanding it correctly, sounds like they can be liable?

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 17, 2024

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I have a reference for your buddy (and maybe you based on the last post?)
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us

If he is aware of that type of fraud he should qui tam it as well and get a fat whistleblower check. There is no massive stock fraud being exposed in GameStop, its just a failing business.

quote:

All while making vague references to Q anon and how this company may be truly hosed by corrupt child traffickers unless you vote for Trump so he can help the good kind altruistic billionaires save you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

kedo posted:

Hi, I'm in VA and my wife's car (a Subaru) was just towed. She was definitely parked somewhere she shouldn't have been (in a private lot), but they towed it with a normal ol' tow truck instead of a flatbed, and Subarus are apparently only supposed to be towed on flatbeds as their AWD can get all mucked up if they are towed with two wheels on the ground. She has warning lights going off all over her dash now and we're taking it in to get it serviced to see what the damage is.

My question is this: are tow companies liable for damaging a car while towing it?

e: I found this law which, if I'm understanding it correctly, sounds like they can be liable?

You should call a local attorney rather than asking about this online. You have a fact specific circumstance and may or may not have a claim. Time may be of the essence as you may time constraints to notify the tow company of the damage. You can probably find an attorney by searching "vehicle tow damage X city, virginia" and get a phone number or two.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fellers built a couple of houses under the belief that the road was as marked in yellow.

The road is not as marked in yellow.

quote:

I surveyed South guy's property. From what I've seen, these GIS lines are pretty on. He's been there for 32 years and always thought he owned up to the road. Somehow he caught wind that there was a problem with the lines and got East guy to sell him the triangle between his old north line and the actual road.

West guy's house is almost entirely on the wrong lot, and his actual lot is vacant (except for where part of his house and utilities are over the line).

North guy's house is part on his lot, part on East guy's lot, and even encroaching on lot to Northeast. Pretty sure his septic tank is all on Northeast guy's lot.

My client, South guy, is in the clear. Those other guys can call 1-800-SOMEBODY ELSE
So who is the most screwed here?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Not a lawyer, but a) that's hilarious and b) my guess is that West is probably in the deepest poo poo on account of just straight up being on the entirely wrong lot instead of just partially the wrong lot. Then again, North is on three different lots, so, lol. lmao.

I hope South and his lawyer have a taste for popcorn, because they're gonna need several dozen buckets of the stuff.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Is

quote:

My client is in the clear. Those other guys can call 1-800-SOMEBODY ELSE

Too long for a thread title?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Tunicate posted:

Fellers built a couple of houses under the belief that the road was as marked in yellow.

The road is not as marked in yellow.

So who is the most screwed here?

That's a lot of problems

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

SlapActionJackson posted:

Is

Too long for a thread title?

Legal Questions: please call 1-800-SOMEBODY-ELSE

Though if all the houses and people have been acting that way for 32 years, the actual answer may just be “adverse possession, what you were wrong about you’re now right about,” but that depends on the state

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think adverse is pretty much always knowing.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Legal Questions: please call 1-800-SOMEBODY-ELSE

Though if all the houses and people have been acting that way for 32 years, the actual answer may just be “adverse possession, what you were wrong about you’re now right about,” but that depends on the state

We have a requirement something like "permanent use in reasonable good faith" and part of the reasonability requirement is a duty to seek out information about property lines, rights and easements etc.

So basically playing dumb is a bad strategy. Playing defrauded by the seller is usually better.

Extinctive possession is usually relegated to legal possession, as in within existing property lines, and is usually limited to liens and easements on the property, where I practice at least.

Still, problem's a lot

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nice piece of fish posted:

We have a requirement something like "permanent use in reasonable good faith" and part of the reasonability requirement is a duty to seek out information about property lines, rights and easements etc.

So basically playing dumb is a bad strategy. Playing defrauded by the seller is usually better.

Extinctive possession is usually relegated to legal possession, as in within existing property lines, and is usually limited to liens and easements on the property, where I practice at least.

Still, problem's a lot

Allod of different factors at play, depending on where you are.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

joat mon posted:

Allod of different factors at play, depending on where you are.

Lol

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

If you're in the US, adverse possession, prescriptive easement, boundary by aquiescence, and similar legal theories very across states both because of state legislatures and case law being weird. It'll get complicated by things like: who is paying taxes on the land, how the land/road has been used and for how long, what the conversations were like between the prior property owners, who got a survey and when, whether people have the money to pay for lawyers, whether a new buyer is coming in whose title company/lender cares, what you can prove, what people remember from decades past, etc.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Arcturas posted:

If you're in the US, adverse possession, prescriptive easement, boundary by aquiescence, and similar legal theories

"Acquisitive prescription", please.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Suppose all of the three or four parties involved sit down without their lawyers and just agree to be amicable and re-draw the lines, and then recalculate the relative areas of the resulting properties and transfer some money from people who gained a bit of land to those who lost a bit of land. They're all happy and now they go "OK let's make this official."

Would there likely be some legal impediment to that? Just redrawing boundary lines could be a zoning issue I imagine, or there could be easements, senior mineral rights, lol I dunno? I'm imagining it could cost them all thousands in legal fees even if they're all extremely willing to compromise and find the cheapest possible solution that leaves each landowner with their own home on their own land and made whole via cash.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

In Iowa there sure would be, I forget if it’s the entire state or just certain counties but there are rules in place limiting the number of times a lot can be subdivided or merged or redrawn. Basically, when subdividing a lot, you get one shot.

I assume this is to prevent old farms from splitting up repeatedly over the decades so that some politicker doesn’t have more than one or two houses appearing next door on land they don’t own. Or some similar not-so-altruistic goal.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I posted before about the snowmobile cinder block bola trap in the cornfield and it was pretty clear you can't legally make booby traps. I watched a "bait bike" video recently where they left a bike leaning against a post and hid a long rope attached to the seat post. The way it works is that someone steals the bike and gets up to speed, then the rope catches and they go face first over the handlebars. Morally, I don't see anything wrong with this. How does the legal system see it?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I bet the answer is: if you just innocently tied up your bike with a rope that'd be fine, but making a video in which you clearly admit you're trying to hurt someone turns it into a crime. Well, trying to hurt someone was the crime, but the video makes it trivial to convict you of it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Skunkduster posted:

I posted before about the snowmobile cinder block bola trap in the cornfield and it was pretty clear you can't legally make booby traps. I watched a "bait bike" video recently where they left a bike leaning against a post and hid a long rope attached to the seat post. The way it works is that someone steals the bike and gets up to speed, then the rope catches and they go face first over the handlebars. Morally, I don't see anything wrong with this. How does the legal system see it?

morally, you don't see anything wrong with potentially causing somebody's death (the rider, or a bystander they fly into) because somebody tried to steal a bicycle. The legal system sees it as a booby trap.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Ah yes, the ancient principle of "two wrongs make a right"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Grumpwagon posted:

Ah yes, the ancient principle of "two wrongs make a right"

In this case, it sounds like "Too long makes a Wright"

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

More of a comment,and maybe a lighty facetious question:
Are you allowed to smoke in zoom court? Should a lawyer know the rules? Does this guy know he's broadcasting internationally?

:911::dumbbravo:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

B33rChiller posted:

More of a comment,and maybe a lighty facetious question:
Are you allowed to smoke in zoom court? Should a lawyer know the rules? Does this guy know he's broadcasting internationally?

:911::dumbbravo:

I joined a zoom hearing once where a pro se went out on his front porch and lit up a swisher sweet and the judge got very mad at him

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

blarzgh posted:

I joined a zoom hearing once where a pro se went out on his front porch and lit up a swisher sweet and the judge got very mad at him
Hahahaha.
This guy wasn't on screen very long. I think he caught himself before the judge noticed him. Dumb luck, I guess.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

“it was pretty clear you can't legally make booby traps”

Posts booby trap

Seems good to me guys????

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

EwokEntourage posted:

“it was pretty clear you can't legally make booby traps”

Posts booby trap

Seems good to me guys????

Yup, you're right. At first, I thought of the bola trap and the bike on a rope as two different scenarios, but now I see they are pretty much the same thing. What law(s) would they be breaking? Also, do the cops and prosecutors just not give a poo poo? It seems like there are a lot of bike bait videos out there (many from the same guys IIRC) and they don't seem to get arrested. I did a quick search on "bait bike prank arrest" and the only relevant thing I found was this lawyer(?) saying they could be sued in civil court, but it would probably be up to a jury to decide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an24mX3DAgk

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Cops in my area routinely leave abandoned "bait" bikes on the sidewalk and wait for people to take them, then arrest those people for bike theft.

They don't tie the bike up with a rope and expect the thieves to Looney Tunes it into traffic though. That's dumb youtube click bait poo poo and you're getting baited into watching it. They just hide a GPS tracker in the bike.

Every such case I had the "thief" was someone with an intellectual disability or mental health disorder and I got the charges thrown out on competency grounds. Most people aren't dumb enough to just go "lol, free bike on the ground in this high traffic metro area with video surveillance everywhere, guess I'll steal".

The charge was typically petty larceny, a misdemeanor. Honestly if I'd ever taken one to trial I think abandoned property would be a decent defense argument.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 22, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Also how do people not notice the rope in these scenarios? You'd need a lot of rope and it would be noticeable, rope is heavy

Or are they using like high test fishing line? What's the setup here? It sounds super youtubey. How racist are these videos?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 22, 2024

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I stole a police bait bike once and got 3 months in prison, where were you why didn’t you help me

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

bird with big dick posted:

I stole a police bait bike once and got 3 months in prison, where were you why didn’t you help me

Probably suing people for painting giant fake highways onto the sides of buildings. It's a traffic hazard!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also how do people not notice the rope in these scenarios? You'd need a lot of rope and it would be noticeable, rope is heavy

Or are they using like high test fishing line? What's the setup here? It sounds super youtubey. How racist are these videos?

Just a regular 1/2" rope or so coiled up on the ground and tied to the rear fork or seatpost. I'm guessing the thief is so focused on the bike that they just don't notice it. Once they start riding off, they are looking forward and the rope is behind them. As for the racism, white guys and black guys both steal the bikes, so I didn't notice any racial targeting, but I wasn't really looking for it. Regarding the law, I was asking what law the people that were doing the prank were breaking, not the person stealing the bike.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Skunkduster posted:

Just a regular 1/2" rope or so coiled up on the ground and tied to the rear fork or seatpost. I'm guessing the thief is so focused on the bike that they just don't notice it. Once they start riding off, they are looking forward and the rope is behind them. As for the racism, white guys and black guys both steal the bikes, so I didn't notice any racial targeting, but I wasn't really looking for it. Regarding the law, I was asking what law the people that were doing the prank were breaking, not the person stealing the bike.

Yeah, you would notice the drag and weight from a rope like that. You'd hear it on the ground too. Fishing line would be different and might not be noticeable, especially if on a reel, but wouldn't show in a youtube video.

The cops just use a GPS tracker anyway.

And yeah the law broken would be whatever local laws there are against constructing mantraps.

See, e.g., this guy who appears to have carved out quite the legal niche for himself:

quote:

Injured By A Booby Trap? New York Law Says You Could Sue. 

The truth is that booby traps are illegal and the person who sets them is usually liable for any injuries that they cause. This camouflaged device designed to create serious injuries was somewhere you could step on it. In this case, that means you may be able to easily sue to recover lost wages, the cost of medical bills and much more. 

It does not matter that you were technically trespassing when you got injured. It does not matter that your neighbor intended to use the traps against people who were trying to break into their house. While in-the-moment self-defense is certainly legal, your neighbor could even be liable for injuring an actual burglar with the booby traps. These are just too great of a danger to the public and they cannot be used in this manner, regardless of intent. 

https://stevefoleylaw.com/are-booby-traps-legal/#:~:text=The%20truth%20is%20that%20booby,you%20could%20step%20on%20it.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 22, 2024

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Does booby trap law extend to traps that damage property, generally? I regularly see people lining the city easement tree lawn with rocks around their driveway and have known of people who have caused serious damage to their cars running over such a rock (me, though it was a long time ago)

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Those aren't booby traps. They are not enticing you to drive over rocks and they are not concealing a danger from you. also bait cars and poo poo are usually publicly disclaimed. DPD always put up big signs that say "bait car in area Dallas PD monitoring"

Skunkduster posted:

\What law(s) would they be breaking?

probably assault or something similar.

quote:

Also, do the cops and prosecutors just not give a poo poo?
Only if someone dies or gets seriously injured or if the news runs a story on it

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Stop running over other peoples rocks

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
If you hid rocks in tall grass that had been driven through a lot it might be an interesting case. Putting big visible rocks on your property probably wouldn’t be though.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

If you hid rocks in tall grass that had been driven through a lot it might be an interesting case. Putting big visible rocks on your property probably wouldn’t be though.

1. That'd be loving hard to prove

2. Some places consider you to be negligent operating a motor vehicle anyplace off a road and in violation of the motor vehicle nature travel act and in serious risk of a huge fine and a lost license. In those cases your car insurance is going to gently caress you, because you were not supposed to be there anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Someone pull up the concrete mailbox case