Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

EwokEntourage posted:

bait cars and poo poo are usually publicly disclaimed. DPD always put up big signs that say "bait car in area Dallas PD monitoring"

I'm curious about the reasoning behind this. I cannot imagine that An Reasonable Ordinary Person would steal a car on their own, why would they need to warn about a bait car existing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Tunicate posted:

Someone pull up the concrete mailbox case

The Ohio Supreme Court found that the mailbox owners were not at fault because the mailbox was not in a position cars would reasonably be expected to travel and motorists have the ultimate responsibility to keep their cars under control and on the road.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Volmarias posted:

I'm curious about the reasoning behind this. I cannot imagine that An Reasonable Ordinary Person would steal a car on their own, why would they need to warn about a bait car existing?

Imagine someone abandoned a car in front of your house. One might, conceivably, get in it to drive it away and take it somewhere else. Or call the cops a hundred times about the nasty abandoned car in front of your house.

Nice piece of fish posted:

2. Some places consider you to be negligent operating a motor vehicle anyplace off a road and in violation of the motor vehicle nature travel act and in serious risk of a huge fine and a lost license. In those cases your car insurance is going to gently caress you, because you were not supposed to be there anyway.

I remember getting in a huge argument with a boss of mine once when he asked "hey, do we need our insurance to cover driving on unpaved roads?" and I'm like "brother, do you not live in our state, this is the South, we're on unpaved roads every week"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Volmarias posted:

perhaps, rather than catching more crooks, it would deter people from stealing cars in that area, which would actually be helpful to people and also cheap and reduce crime without involving shooting the homeless

in other words I'm astonished it happened at all and unsurprised it's not super common

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Imagine someone abandoned a car in front of your house. One might, conceivably, get in it to drive it away and take it somewhere else. Or call the cops a hundred times about the nasty abandoned car in front of your house.

I remember getting in a huge argument with a boss of mine once when he asked "hey, do we need our insurance to cover driving on unpaved roads?" and I'm like "brother, do you not live in our state, this is the South, we're on unpaved roads every week"

I'm probably not normal, but if someone parks in front of my home and the car has not moved in 24 hours... It's probably still fine? I would leave it for several days getting concerned, and for longer before asking the police to consider it abandoned and please let me have it towed?

Maybe I'm not understanding how bait cars work; are they left for a month in the hope that someone decides that no one is going to miss it if they take a joyride?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Maybe I'm not understanding how bait cars work; are they left for a month in the hope that someone decides that no one is going to miss it if they take a joyride?

From the videos I've watched, they usually have several cop cars and sometimes a helicopter watching the car, so I would assume they only put it out there for a few hours or maybe one or two shifts.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Volmarias posted:

I'm probably not normal, but if someone parks in front of my home and the car has not moved in 24 hours... It's probably still fine? I would leave it for several days getting concerned, and for longer before asking the police to consider it abandoned and please let me have it towed?

Don't imagine that you're you. Imagine you are a boomer posting on nextdoor about all the "suspicious" people walking down the street in front of your house. And then one of them abandons a car!

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Edit: deleted that link.

They made a TV show about it. Basically they drop a running car off with keys in the ignition in the most obvious way possible. This does nothing to suppress actual car thieves. It just gets opportunistic idiots convicted of car theft. But number of arrests goes up so ~tough on crime~.

honda whisperer fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 23, 2024

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
The newspaper in Anchorage ran a story about car theives a while back. They went out and interviewed a bunch of people who had been arrested for it, which was a cool perspective. Nearly all of those people said they were high or drunk and just needed a ride across town, so they hopped in the first car they saw and drove off.

One lady was drug seeking in the ER. When she left, there parked in front of the ER doors was a car with the keys in the ignition that some poor sap had just driven his girlfriend to the hospital in. She needed ("needed") to get home, so off she went. She said she was so high she had no memory of it until she saw the surveillance. Another kid just wanted to see his buddy in Anchorage, so hopped in some idling cars in Valdez until he found one with a full tank, and off he went on a four hour drive, parking the car in front of his buddy's house. No thought, no planning, very little malice, certainly no high-level Fast and Furious glamour. Just idiots and kids and idiot kids.

Then there were several people that would steal cars to get in drive-bys with rival gangs, but that was a small number comparatively, and they had way more charges.

Anchorage is different though because you need to warm up your car by idling it for ten or twenty minutes before driving it so car stealing is super easy.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

honda whisperer posted:

https://youtu.be/RmxDLAtj6jE?feature=shared

They made a TV show about it. Basically they drop a running car off with keys in the ignition in the most obvious way possible. This does nothing to suppress actual car thieves. It just gets opportunistic idiots convicted of car theft. But number of arrests goes up so ~tough on crime~.

:psyduck:

E: I would not have chosen the Nazi YouTube account for that one.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Jesus I just searched YouTube for bait car and clicked the first thing that looked like it was from that show. Woops.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

BigHead posted:

The newspaper in Anchorage ran a story about car theives a while back.

Another thing car thieves are known for: their credible narratives.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

blarzgh posted:

Eh, those stories kinda track. I didn't have that many car thief cases but the ones I remember were usually some variety of "joyriding kids being extremely dumb", "family dispute and grandma wants her car back," and then the fairly rare "car stolen for use in driveby" but I didn't handle those.

There were also a lot of "possession of stolen vehicle" by crackhead cases. Most of those seemed to be kinda hard to piece together what happened but the cars involved were usually of sufficient caliber to where "I swapped that car for some crack, it's not stolen" was a frequent refrain. Selling stolen cars to crackheads for small cash may be its own little cottage industry, or the crackheads may all be smart enough to say "I bought this from a guy" rather than admitting theft.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 23, 2024

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

"I swapped that car for some crack, it's not stolen"

Would that confession hold up in court to get him convicted for selling crack?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Skunkduster posted:

Sorry, but I saw a youtube that told me it's not a sale if no money changed hands. It's barter, and according to the us constitution, the police can't stop you from freely bartering, and attempting to impede you is a violation of your rights.

Edit: it's in the magna Carta if you ever bothered to look things up. Pppfffffft :eyeroll:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Skunkduster posted:

Not in my state because the way the local statutes are worded the state would have to prove it was actually a drug, and they can't do that without the substance itself directly in evidence.

E.g., a client is on video selling pills. He says the pills are meth; the buyer thinks they are meth; a lab test confirms the pills are. . .whoops actually they're all sugar no meth here at all . . .charges dropped.

State has the burden of proof, without the alleged crack in evidence they can't *prove* it was crack, even if the crackhead says it was, because they need a lab analysis and the crackhead is not a (licensed) chemist.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Volmarias posted:

To a) deter crime in the area and b) iron clad cases when they get arrested, especially since they are (on paper) looking for repeat offenders, i.e., career thiefs/criminals. I looked up DPD's program, they dont always put signs up. They also use more than cars as bait, they do bicycles, trailers, power washers. Basically high value targets of opportunity

blarzgh posted:

I know a handful of people who have "borrowed" cars and they've never intended to keep them or sell them. You hear a lot of stories of people coming out of a black out in different states, and usually those type of people don't have enough money to afford their own vehicle (or they've previously driven it into a tree)....

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I dunno if they're still around but here in the bay area there used to be chop shops and some percentage of stolen cars were driven straight to a shop to get parted out for profit. One time a stolen car was abandoned in front of my parents house, with the engine still running, up on bricks with all four wheels and a few interior parts and IIRC the hood missing, it was very clearly stripped for parts too. In 2005 my vw golf was stolen in west oakland, I think the first thief was just joyriding, they stole some belongings and abandoned the car and threw something at the hood to smash it a bit along with the front window; but then someone else(?) got some cable cutters and chopped through the harness to steal the battery. Then it was recovered a day or two later.

Probably the reasons cars get stolen vary by region is what I'm saying. I expect the bait car thing is more of a deterrent for the organized thieves and less so for the, uh, disorganized ones, which I would bet are usually the majority.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
In SoCal what I always hear is the "needed to get somewhere" excuse, so that checks out with those stories from Anchorage. Rarely is it someone looking to make money, but usually someone taking the car and then ditching it 3 towns over.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
My best stolen car story is when I lived in NoCal, and dumbass teenagers stole our piece of poo poo 20+ year old Pontiac. Not sure where they were going, but they instead got picked up walking along a Nevada desert highway, no water or sunblock. Car had died. Pretty sure the gas gauge was iffy.

Didn't get the car back though :(

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Watching videos on "most exciting moments in court", you see people getting sentenced then physically going after the judge, the prosecutor, the cop on the stand, or even their own attorney. I'd think some of these people would hold that grudge through their sentence. Does it ever happen where somebody gets released from prison and goes back to kill the judge, prosecutor, cop, or their attorney?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
It happens, but at least on the criminal defense side, if they were that focused, that motivated, and the only thing bad that had ever happened to them was not liking the result that their lawyer got for them, they would have never needed the attorney in the first place.

if you want some breathless anecdotes

tom kite
Feb 12, 2009

A friend in California got pregnant. They didn't inform their employer at a physical therapy place before getting morning sickness on a patient . They got fired. Should they talk to an attorney?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

joat mon posted:

It happens, but at least on the criminal defense side, if they were that focused, that motivated, and the only thing bad that had ever happened to them was not liking the result that their lawyer got for them, they would have never needed the attorney in the first place.

if you want some breathless anecdotes

That was interesting. I was surprised to see so many incidents of lawyer on lawyer violence.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Skunkduster posted:

That was interesting. I was surprised to see so many incidents of lawyer on lawyer violence.

Judge on lawyer violence happens, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAv1QUkHFSY&t=420s

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

tom kite posted:

A friend in California got pregnant. They didn't inform their employer at a physical therapy place before getting morning sickness on a patient . They got fired. Should they talk to an attorney?

I can't hurt, but it'll be hard to say the employer didn't accommodate her condition if she didn't tell them. Have other male or non-pregnant employees not been fired after barfing on patients?

New protections re: pregnancy and summary of other applicable federal laws
And CA may have additional protections.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bribe a male employee to throw up on a patient and see how they respond.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

tom kite posted:

Talk to an attorney about what?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

Talk to an attorney about what?

Oh nothing, just chatting. Y'know. How's things been lately and stuff.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Are pregnant women allowed special medical exemption to puke on people, making this discriminatory

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

Oh nothing, just chatting. Y'know. How's things been lately and stuff.

I'm happy to hear that! I'm doing great 👍

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Whenever I hear about people throwing up on other people, I wonder if they aimed, or if they didn't or couldn't, why

Surely there must have been plenty of places to vomit that did not contain other human beings

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Whenever I hear about people throwing up on other people, I wonder if they aimed, or if they didn't or couldn't, why

Surely there must have been plenty of places to vomit that did not contain other human beings

Projectile vomiting sometimes has no warning signs. It's a surprise to everyone.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

It would be interesting to see what led up to that.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
I'm in Texas. My landlord has an abandoned horse trailer on his property from a previous tenant. Is there a way to legally make it my trailer?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Skunkduster posted:

It would be interesting to see what led up to that.

IIRC, they didn't have enough room on the criminal calendar to get that guy into trial within his speedy trial window. If you don't get someone to trial within that window and they haven't waived that right, the charges have to be dismissed. The PD has been hammering the state all day on getting things set for trial. The judge is frustrated because he can't get things onto his schedule and is taking out his anger on the PD. He got kicked off the bench by the SCoFL.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

loving good, what a disgrace.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
That judge is a piece of poo poo

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

blarzgh posted:

I'm happy to hear that! I'm doing great 👍

And that, children, is how you create joinder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Atticus_1354 posted:

I'm in Texas. My landlord has an abandoned horse trailer on his property from a previous tenant. Is there a way to legally make it my trailer?

Have you tried asking your landlord?