Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

IIRC, they didn't have enough room on the criminal calendar to get that guy into trial within his speedy trial window. If you don't get someone to trial within that window and they haven't waived that right, the charges have to be dismissed. The PD has been hammering the state all day on getting things set for trial. The judge is frustrated because he can't get things onto his schedule and is taking out his anger on the PD. He got kicked off the bench by the SCoFL.

It sounds like when the judge came back in, he was able to quickly find a date for a speedy trial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Skunkduster posted:

It sounds like when the judge came back in, he was able to quickly find a date for a speedy trial.

He set a trial date - that doesn't mean it was inside the speedy window. I can't recall 100% of the details, but the argument was about the PD refusing to waive speedy trial rights.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Atticus_1354 posted:

I'm in Texas. My landlord has an abandoned horse trailer on his property from a previous tenant. Is there a way to legally make it my trailer?

i looked into getting an abandoned tractor off a friend's property, and here is what i remember of it, which I think is accurate enough to answer your question. long story short, not really

3 years to adverse claim abandoned property (that isn't land)
If someone abandons a vehicle on your property, you can call your local government, likely the police, to come remove it and impound it and then they'll do whatever with it, likely sell it at auction
You can also apply for a permit to depose of it, there's procedures for all of that, but you only get title to the trailer for the purpose of junking it.

your landlord may be able to claim it by setting up a scheme whereby he charges to store it, liens it, sues and gets judgment, executes on the trailer and buys it at auction or something similar. Probably want to talk to a lawyer about it. might cost more than the trailer is worth.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Alternatively, what is the potential liability if OP just starts using the trailer?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Harold Fjord posted:

Alternatively, what is the potential liability if OP just starts using the trailer?

The same as if he took any other trailer belonging to another person and started using it without their consent??

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

blarzgh posted:

The same as if he took any other trailer belonging to another person and started using it without their consent??

I mean if I park my car on someone's land without permission I don't expect it to be there a month later, much less three years

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Texas actually has published guidelines and laws about abandoned property including personal property and it looks like for money (like abandoned accounts) it's 3 years but I'm not sure about personal property from just a quick skim.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Harold Fjord posted:

Among other issues good luck getting a vehicle tag with no title and no way to get one.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ulmont posted:

Among other issues good luck getting a vehicle tag with no title and no way to get one.

This is the real struggle.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yes, it's hard to register a stolen vehicle

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I don't see the problem, if they're not using it for commerce? (US. Vs the entire Bey clan)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ulmont posted:

You can do it in Oklahoma, but it's a pain.

VVVVVV
It takes 2-3 months.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 26, 2024

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

joat mon posted:

You can do it in Oklahoma, but it's a pain.

you can drag into an oklahoma DMV a trailer that you "found" that belongs to someone else and just register it? Even if it's "a pain" that's amazing

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ulmont posted:

It's actually easier with property here, than with vehicles. But it is possible. Well, if you're the government. Harder with boats though, I'll let you know how that goes.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Hi all, looking for guidance with a bizarre situation.

For the last 3-4 weeks, two individuals in my city has been livestreaming 2-5 hours/day, 4-5 days/week about me. They are obsessed with me, and streaming their ongoing views about my character (that I am a police informant, sexually promiscuous, running a criminal organization, etc).
This individual owns multiple firearms. They also are regularly and openly ingesting large quantities of drugs. They have also targeted any friends or associates I have, making similar claims. They have not issued any direct, specific threats but they have doxxed me to their audience of 500+ (nightly attendance) and regularly post my personal photos.

This individual is deep in the conspiracy subculture, and associated with Sandy Hook deniers, QAnon supporters, etc.

I am afraid for my life, and my family's life.

We have never met physically.
I have done nothing to provoke them, nor have I responded in any way, shape or form. It is not a mutually-inflammatory situation: what set them off was a comment I made - to someone else - about relying on social benefits.

Multiple police reports have been filed. They refuse to file any kind of harassment charges. They are uninterested in the firearms and drugs. They advised me to "invest in a firearm."
In my state there is no option for a TRO unless one cohabitates or in a relationship with the person.

What legal options are there? I don't even know what to do and need some direction.

ETA: I know their full names and home addresses, if that's relevant.

Bitchkrieg fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 28, 2024

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Call a criminal lawyer

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

blarzgh posted:

Call a criminal lawyer

Sorry to be stupid, but what is a 'criminal lawyer'? Like a criminal defense attorney?

I want to do this, I just don't know what I'm looking for.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Bitchkrieg posted:

Sorry to be stupid, but what is a 'criminal lawyer'? Like a criminal defense attorney?

Do you currently use any drugs? See a psychiatrist? Have you been diagnosed with schizophrenia?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Bitchkrieg posted:

what set them off was a comment I made - to someone else - about relying on social benefits.

What did you say? I am a legal intuitive and it is important to know before I offer any advice.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Bitchkrieg posted:

A general criminal defense attorney or really a general attorney should be able to lay out your options. Say you want to file for a civil protective order of some kind and they'll tell you what that requires and what type of proof you'll need to come up with.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Important that you be upfront about your schizophrenia though, if you have that.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is any of the sexually promiscuous and crime boss stuff true?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

blarzgh posted:

Call a criminal lawyer

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

I should watch that series but I'm afraid it's too much like work.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Nice piece of fish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR1m29cNVsc

... This is your job?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Nice piece of fish posted:

I would absolutely read a thread of law goons watching that show.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

I haven't seen the show but I've seen a clip where he tricks the witness into identifying his client as the wrong person and the real client was sitting in the back of the courtroom.

I legitimately got that to happen once maybe 5-6 years ago on a motion for new trial with a process server who served the wrong person.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Legal-adjacent, but I've been tagged for jury duty/selection in US District court next month. When I've been summoned for jury duty in city/municipal court, the summons always say "one day or one trial" and I typically get dismissed by lunchtime. The summons in this case state "three days or one trial", so should I expect my experience with city court three days in a row (i.e. show up in the morning, go home halfway through the day, repeat for three days)? Or is there a chance they could dismiss me on day 1 or 2 and tell me not to come back again?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Legal-adjacent, but I've been tagged for jury duty/selection in US District court next month. When I've been summoned for jury duty in city/municipal court, the summons always say "one day or one trial" and I typically get dismissed by lunchtime. The summons in this case state "three days or one trial", so should I expect my experience with city court three days in a row (i.e. show up in the morning, go home halfway through the day, repeat for three days)? Or is there a chance they could dismiss me on day 1 or 2 and tell me not to come back again?

It just depends. If it's a big trial and they need a lot of jurors it might take them 1 to 3 days to get the 12 jurors that they need.

Conversely, it might settle and you might go home in 10 minutes or they might knock you off the panel in the first hour.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was summoned to superior court for a murder trial three or four years ago, and it took five days to empanel 12 jurors and 6 alts, I was one of the last half-dozen left in the benches when they got the last alt and dismissed the rest of us. That was five straight days of 8 hours in the courtroom.

You could be dismissed immediately, if you're the first person interviewed and the judge or one of the attorneys decides they don't want you. Or you could be there for at least 3 days, and I bet that 3 days isn't like... legally binding or whatever.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Leperflesh posted:

You could be dismissed immediately, if you're the first person interviewed and the judge or one of the attorneys decides they don't want you. Or you could be there for at least 3 days, and I bet that 3 days isn't like... legally binding or whatever.

Typically that does count as your service if you show up but are not selected, or no juries end up being empaneled that day because they settled or similar.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Yes, except the toilet is my boss and the suggestive comments are actually from real estate developers who really want to see me go gently caress myself, apparently.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

honda whisperer posted:

That's actually not a bad idea, except I have to think most goon lawyers have already seen it. But sure, if you wanted to hear a bunch of griping about "yeah had three clients that crazy" and "tried to get out of paying".

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

honda whisperer posted:

There is a video where a lawyer reacts to the opening courtroom scene with the three kids in the morgue. He says the part about Saul psyching himself up in the bathroom is pretty realistic, but the actual courtroom scene is not realistic for several reasons. IIRC, he really enjoyed the part where the prosecutor just wheeled the TV out and played the video without saying a single word.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Real trials aren't as exciting to watch as TV trials because lawyers don't get to exposition with the audience like a TV show

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

EwokEntourage posted:

Real trials aren't as exciting to watch as TV trials because lawyers don't get to exposition with the audience like a TV show

Yeah also you usually have discovery and right of contradiction so you usually don't have the prosecutor wheel in a surprise video at trial (and I would for sure not consent to that).

That said this literally happened to me at a trial where the prosecutor showed a bodycam I was notified of as the trial started and the judge allowed despite my protests (thus laying the foundation of my possible appeal). Luckily, my strategy worked better and I still won, for all intents.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

blarzgh posted:

It just depends. If it's a big trial and they need a lot of jurors it might take them 1 to 3 days to get the 12 jurors that they need.

Conversely, it might settle and you might go home in 10 minutes or they might knock you off the panel in the first hour.

So possibly, but who the heck knows. I guess I can live with that. I'd be less cheesed if I hadn't just gone for municipal jury duty this past February...

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

EwokEntourage posted:

*spends three minutes properly laying a foundation to bring in a dashcam video*

Juror #9: I'm BORED! What else is on?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

So possibly, but who the heck knows. I guess I can live with that. I'd be less cheesed if I hadn't just gone for municipal jury duty this past February...

In my state there's a rule that you can't be asked to serve jury duty twice within a certain amount of time; granted they are two different courts but check and see if you can get out of jury duty this time because of your prior service in February

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A question from reddit,

dude orders one PS5 online, they screw up and deliver two. Is he allowed to keep both under the UCC (claim an 'improper delivery' because it didn't match the invoice, and accept the whole lot)?

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 1, 2024