Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

SkunkDuster posted:

If they can do that, is there anything stopping them from passing an ordinance that lets them collect income tax on your wages? Are earnings protected from local tax in a way that winnings aren't?

Texas now constitutionally prohibits income taxes, and banned them by state law previously. IANAL, but I doubt a town could make a lottery winnings tax stick, because it would plainly be a prohibited income tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Gambling winnings are income, that's why you have to pay federal income tax on them.

Leperflesh posted:

are gambling winnings considered "income" by texas state law?

I guess if you're a town trying to tax lotto winnings, that's the argument you have to make, but it would require pretty tortured thinking, even for a lawyer.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

A lot of them have you drop some lump sum to get in the door (say, 500k) but in theory, it will go back to you/your estate when you "leave"

And many of them require you to buy in, but you only get a life estate.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Nonexistence posted:

Ok but what about just LTC insurance you start paying premiums on mid life that just pays for LTC at a contractually negotiated rate until the policy runs out as an alternative to the no-plan default of "your life time of savings just goes to a LTC provider"

Increases in the cost of end-of-life care over the last several decades caught the insurance industry by surprise and they lost fucktons of money on policies written for the Silent generation. Consequently, they hacked away at the language of the policies you can buy today to the point where they either don't cover anything substantial or nobody ends up actually qualifying for the payout. You're better off investing the money and paying for your own LTC or relying on medicaid as a provider of last resort.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Every jury I've served on in Houston has specifically forbade note taking. We were told we could request to see evidence or have testimony read back during deliberation, but no notes.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Did they say why?

It's been a while, but the gist was that they wanted us to pay attention to all the testimony holistically, rather than worry about detailed note taking. I'm sure they also didn't want you unduly influenced by the copious notes you took early (prosecution phase) and lack of notes after you got bored (defense phase)

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

D34THROW posted:

How do interstate summons work? My wife, with an FL license, got a ticket in MD a few months back and was told she'd get a summons. We just got a letter in the mail that she never answered a summons.

Usually the ticket is the summons. I doubt anybody sends out human process servers for traffic tickets.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I am deeply skeptical of your underlying assumption that they need your permission to report a trade line to a CRA.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I'll bet on "surgeon got scalpel happy during hypospadias correction"

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

"If the cops accuse you, you must be guilty of something " is a totally fine worldview, no theoretical or practical issues there.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

ulmont posted:

I’d suggest never traveling to or through state B again.

This is a given. The more interesting question is which other states C, D, E ... AW, AX can you also never step foot in because LE there will extradite you to B?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

86 being per se reckless is still pretty lol.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

One thing life has taught me is that it's no problem at all to get a real lawyer on the phone - literally in an instant - ready, willing, and able to help.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Hi posted:

Hey all, Traffic Violation question.

You should call a traffic ticket attorney in the county where you got the ticket and ask them. Even if your analysis is right, you still have to deal with the system, and the attorney can help you figure out what's the least painful way to proceed.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

If it was done correctly, the trust is already formed from the aunt's estate and you need a trusts lawyer to explain the responsibilities of being a trustee.

Was this a surprise to the Mrs? Aunt should have discussed this with her before just dropping this in the will.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I think he's worried about an appeal of the civil award, not the bankruptcy discharge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Is

quote:

My client is in the clear. Those other guys can call 1-800-SOMEBODY ELSE

Too long for a thread title?