Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

She needs a lawyer who talks to his lawyer. She doesn't need his lawyer talking to her and her talking to you. Also, I understand that this is your friend and you're emotionally invested, but it may be good to take a step back and consider how you can best support her. Blasting her business out to strangers online may feel cathartic, but it's not helping her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Mahogany china cabinet.

And the boxes of "fine china" that goes with it.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

My boss rented a home to an (ex)employee. That employee apparently had schizophrenia and after a very long eviction process during covid finally got him out. The guy abandoned a bunch of property, including a very large speedboat that looks like it came off the set of Miami Vice and apparently beeds some work. We live in Central Texas at least 4 hours from the coast. It now lives on a trailer at another coworkers ranch because no one can figure out what to do with it.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Arkhamina posted:

I had no idea it was so slow. A Minnesota disability resource center found us a lawyer that won't take a cut of the checks, too! They even did a practice hearing with her so she wasn't surprised by questions during the administrative appeal.

Congrats. Sadly, it's reality that most people don't realize how broken our systems are until they need them and you don't need them until you're in a tight spot.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Skunkduster posted:

That seems kind of disproportionate to me.

Many legislators view this as a feature and not as a bug. Can't be "tough on crime" if you vote for legislation that helps people.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

In theory, people who've demonstrated that they won't follow major laws by committing and being convicted of a felony have shown that they're not responsible citizens who can be expected to follow the law, so in the abstract I see no disproportion.

This line in particular strikes me as the exact same argument that people make against any idea of rehabilitation. That coupled with the idea that only people who really deserve it actually get convicted really demonstrates the mindset of the people who encourage the exact "tough on crime" mindset I'm talking about.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

The leap from 'should be barred from owning firearms' to 'any idea of rehabilitation' is a pretty big one, and not one that I've made.

It's all on a spectrum, but you're using the exact arguments people use for all levels of denying rights and rehabilitation opportunities to people who have committed crimes. You might not like being compared to people who are farther along the spectrum than you are, but you sound just like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

I'm in Texas. My landlord has an abandoned horse trailer on his property from a previous tenant. Is there a way to legally make it my trailer?