Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Richard M Nixon posted:

Wow...that is scary :psyduck: I wonder why we don't have judges and lawyers who have CS degrees (we rock the LSATs) seeing as technical law has emerged so much in the past decades.

Believe it or not, around 1/4 of my practice is handling tech cases and hooking up other lawyers who are handling tech cases with appropriate experts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Richard M Nixon posted:

I'm a CS student and I'll be going on to grad school before I am 'done'. I'm interested in forensics and cryptology (not for a living, but for fun, and I've done the DOD's forensics challenge); is there any sort of professional organization for people like me who do expert witnessing? I'd assume all you would need is a good enough degree and experience, but the other replies lead me to believe that professors get a lot of the gigs. Do big law firms (X & Y & associates or whatever the gently caress law firms call themselves) employ techies full time or contract with people to do that poo poo?

If you are going to do forensics and therefore are processing evidence, you need to have a basic understanding of the rules of evidence and chain of custody procedures. There are bootcamps for computer forensics and there are organizations which offer certifications in the field - http://www.isfce.com/.

Most big firms now have a few lawyers with a tech background. Back when I took an interest in this subject, that was not the case. I was a bit ahead of the curve, made some money as a lawyer helping other lawyers understand their tech cases. Now, most big firms have someone with similar skills inhouse, often "staff lawyers" as opposed to traditional associates. Therefore, most of my tech work is helping smaller firms or solos, as biglaw has caught up.

Richard M Nixon posted:

I realize this will be a silly question, but I've read a few peer reviewed CS journals, and I can't imagine anyone who doesn't :awesome: to source code to actually read it, much less keep track of who writes on what. Do lawyers or other legal people get subscriptions to journals in different fields to keep a list of current experts, or is it more word of mouth?

Actual E: Why did you put an E when you didn't E? Huh?

Lawyers almost always find expert witnesses from either word of mouth or researching what other lawyers have done. We have listservs, and we look up the expert witnesses used in other similar cases using research tools like Westlaw and PACER.

I have never read a CS journal and I never intend to.

The experts I have hired, or located for other lawyers, have come in four ways - 1) through knowledgeable posting in computer forensics listservs, 2) from meeting at forensics conferences and/or seminars, 3) knowledgeable blog writing on advanced tech topics, or 4) research into similar cases, as above.

In the years prior to the internet, expert locating services would keep paper directories of experts and their areas of expertise. Those services are dying with the explosion of the internet - I don't know any lawyers who still use those services.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

zharmad posted:

Real estate question.

I'm confused - did your parents grant you an interest back in 1997, then transferred the rest of their interest to you in 2008/2009? If so, what prompted the second transfer?

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

zharmad posted:

There is not really an issue of voluntary or fraudulent conveyance, because the transfer was done before any assessment of underpayment was made. The liens list the date of assessment as 12/17/2009, and since I did pay money for the property, my interest predates the assessment. It could look as though it was transferred fraudulently, however the transfers were conducted before any audit even began.

Yikes - I wouldn't dismiss the prospect of the IRS attempting to unwind the transaction as a fraudulent transfer. Federal tax liens are nasty business.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

ODC posted:

but $175 is still a lot of money

$175 is not a lot of money. The filing fee for any lawsuit anywhere is likely more than that. Forget it and move on. The rest of the responses are law-school hypothetical nonsense.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

TheBestDeception posted:

Maybe, Mr. Solomon Grundy, ODC wants justice, even if said justice might come at a price to him. Isn't that worth fighting for?

No.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

JudicialRestraints posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_meruit

E: although you will be able to recover for more, you will be required to prove the actual value of your work (this may get expensive). The defendant will enter into evidence the initial value of the contract as a counter to your claim of $1500, it will be up to the fact finder to determine the actual value.

In my state, if there is an express contract, all quasi-contract theories are barred, so don't get all excited about quantum meruit until you check local laws.

Solomon Grundy fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 18, 2010

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

entris posted:

Given how lovely the legal market is right now, lawyers are starving for work. I'm sure you could find a competent attorney for a reasonable fee, who could help you out with your contracts.

You could probably even find a lawyer to review your contract in exchange for web design services. What state are you in?

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

MMania posted:

I've got a five year old roof that's starting to fall apart, unfortunately it was done right before I bought the house but fortunately they filed a building permit so I have the name of the business. I'm in MA and the company's in NH, do I have any rights here to have them fix their shoddy work or pay for a real company to get my roof redone?

Probably not. You were not in a contractual relationship with the roofer. You do not have standing to bring a breach of contract claim. Unless your state has a weird tort that covers this sort of situation, you are out of luck.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday
Why are you people debating whether or not suit could be brought in PA? All of the parties live in LA. Why on earth would the plaintiff choose to travel hundreds of miles to prosecute a lawsuit? :psyduck:

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

He can probably get punitive (especially for them impugning him in a professional capacity). In that case all I can suggest is that he make a good impression on the Judge/Jury because they're the ones who decide if he gets more than $1.

An award of punitive damages doesn't help if the defendant is uncollectable.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

BlackMK4 posted:

My girlfriend (MY GIRLFRIEND) bought a VW Jetta GLI about 4 weeks ago with a Honda S2000 as a trade - 4k left from the trade after loan payoff - GLI was a 2006 for like 16 or 18k. The VW dealership had her approved through VW financial, until they called her credit companies over the next two weeks- they call my girlfriend and tell her that they need another $1600 cash down for VW to finance it and they have to drop gap coverage/warranty/change payment length to make it a 36/mo loan, two weeks later now they are telling her that VW still won't finance her at all and that she needs to call Wachovia and answer some questions to see if they will finance her - if they won't then she has to return the car.

I think the best option is to return the car for a few reasons like previous body work (carfax was clean, but that means jack poo poo in the real world) and some other poo poo, but she has put ~4000 miles on it since then - can they legally charge her for those miles? We are in Arizona, if it matters.

This sounds like a job for a consumer lawyer. Paging Sam Glover.

anonexpedient posted:

When I was in junior high a friend and I basically got busted for some minor mischief. We both received misdemeanor offenses for, iirc, vandalism or something like that. It was basically a lot of bullshit dealing with angry power-tripping cops who liked to yell at 14 year olds for causing 200 dollars worth of damage to public property. So after it was all said and done, I just had to do some community service and was put on probation. I was also told that it could be expunged or sealed after I turned 18, but I'm unsure about the process and am reading conflicting statements online about some of this stuff

Most importantly, do I need to hire a lawyer for this? if so, how much should I expect to pay and where do you go about finding a decent lawyer who doesn't cost a lot?

Is a criminal record like this held on file both at state and federal bureaus? What I mean is, do I need to go through both state and federal bureaus to clear my record?

How will this affect my employment opportunities? I've just read that only I may view my criminal record, but government/public agencies may also view it if I apply for a government job or am arrested again. But, obviously, a criminal record can hurt your employment opportunities, so I'm assuming that's in reference to felony charges, not misdemeanors?

This is a total state-specific question. In my state, juvenile records are sealed automatically, and do not need to be formally expunged.

If your state does require some expungement proceeding for juvenile offenses, then yes, your best bet would be to find a lawyer. In my state, expungement (for adults) requires a motion and hearing, and the last one I did for about $600. If you have a local bar association, call them and ask for a referral to a criminal defense lawyer, who would be most likely to know how to accomplish your goal.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Han Solo posted:

Earlier today I used my perfect pull ups (they are a pull up bar and handles that you install into your door frame.) As I was doing my first or second pull up, the handles both snapped. I fell on my back and my head whipped into the tile floor. My toe is also killing me but thats no biggie. I'm pretty sure I have some kind of concussion. I didn't get knocked out but I started feeling very weird afterwards and my vision became very blurry for a while. Now I just have a bad headache and I feel like crap. Its taking me much longer than normal to write this. I would go to the hospital but I know there's no point. I've had this happen to me before in rugby games and the hospital does nothing but tell you that you don't have internal bleeding and then charge you a ton of money. Do I have any legal basis to sue the perfect pull up company? I understand that accidents happen as a result of normal living that are no ones fault and I don't like to go around blaming stuff on other people but I only used these pull ups because I thought they were safe and now I have another concussion. I live in New York. If this situation is what is referenced by rule 5 in the first post, forgive me.

Also, I searched to see if this has happened to anyone else and it seems like the handles snapping is a common problem.

No case unless you have a brain bleed and end up in a wheelchair. Product liability cases are expensive, hard cases, and are only worth a lawyer's time if there are big damages at the end of the rainbow.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

anonexpedient posted:

Any idea if the misdemeanor will show up on an employee criminal background record check if I apply to, say, a large corporation?

It is either sealed automatically because you were a juvenile (which means no) or it will not be sealed (which means yes), and that is a state-specific issue.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

excellentcoffee posted:

I testified before the Grand Jury just recently, but I was read my Miranda Rights before I gave my testimony. Afterward, I was contacted by the prosecutor to go over my statement at their office. I'm now in the process of contacting an attorney.

1)Have I already given up my Miranda Rights by testifying before the Grand Jury? Meaning, if I can not find an attorney and do not agree to the meeting, could that be held against me?
2)What does having my Miranda Rights stated to me in front of the Grand Jury before I testify even mean?

EDIT: I'd like to add, the few attorneys I've contacted have told me that I shouldn't go without them, but right now it's a matter of finding one I can afford.

Warning - not a criminal lawyer.
1) In a sense, you gave up your Miranda rights by speaking before the grand jury when you had the right to remain silent. However, you still have the right to stop speaking. But the cat is already out of the bag.

2) It means that the cops suspect you of committing a crime.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Alaemon posted:

Also, do NOT lie to your attorney, either by omission or commission.

Thirded. The worst disasters of my legal career have always started with a client concealing information from me.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Cortel posted:

I'm in Illinois.

One of my friends gets financial aid through the state, it's 2600$ minus her tuition for classes and cost of books, so it usually turns out to be around 1000$ (community college). The check is in her name, but her father is holding it from her, he grabbed it from the mailbox while she wasn't home. Obviously she lives with her parents and is their dependent. He explicitly said he will not fill out FAFSA if she doesn't sign the check over to her (which prevents her from paying for college). What can she do in her situation?

Not an Illinois lawyer, but she should consider calling the police and reporting a theft of the check. If the police won't help, then, theoretically, in my state at least, she would have a civil action for replevin (which is legalese for "give it back").

IceWolfe24 posted:

After I was married, my wife and I bought a house. Well, I guess *I* bought a house, although she had to sign off saying she gave her permission for me to do so. She was not a signer on the mortgage. Unfortunately, I lost my job two years later, and to make a long story short, we ended up divorcing after losing the house to a foreclosure.

Now, my question is this. I am still liable for the foreclosure amount, but would she be considered liable as well? This happened in Michigan, and although Michigan is not a community property state, after some research I found that if the non-signed spouse used their money to help pay for a mortgage, they are legally responsible for said mortgage.

Is is feasible to sue her for her share of the debt from the mortgage? This has basically completely destroyed me financially for a long time, and she is living just fine. I feel that because it was purchased while we were married, and that she DID use her income to help pay for it, she should be responsible as well.

Any Ideas? I know this type of situation doesn't happen very often.

Not a Michigan lawyer either, and not a domestic relations lawyer. But I would expect that these issues should have been worked out in your divorce decree, and your divorce decree probably bars any further litigation of these issues under the doctrine of res judicata. For a definitive answer, find a Michigan family lawyer.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

IceWolfe24 posted:

Actually, at the time of the divorce, there was no knowledge of this debt at all, thus there is no wording in the decree regarding it. I did not learn of the outstanding balance until after the divorce was final. I appreciate your insight, however.

I don't understand your statement that "there was no knowledge of this debt at all." In your first post, you said you got divorced after losing the house to foreclosure. Are you saying that you didn't know the amount of the deficiency judgment at the time, so you didn't know of the debt? I don't think that flies. Not knowing of the amount of the debt is not the same as not knowing of the debt. Your divorce lawyer should have accounted for the eventual deficiency in the decree. My gut tells me that you are out of luck, but check with a local lawyer.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

IceWolfe24 posted:

Unfortunately, it was not a written agreement, but a verbal assessment by them. Nothing legally binding as it is considered speculation on their part. I honestly think they took the first offer handed to them just to be rid of it.

I don't want to throw dirt on you, and I am sorry for your situation, but this was avoidable if you had hired a lawyer for your divorce. The lawyer's job is to spot issues like this. I think it is still worth checing out with a michigan domestic lawyer, but I think you will find that the fact that this was not accounted for in the divorce decree is going to bar a later action.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

my cat is norris posted:

Hey, speaking of apartments --

I rent a two-bedroom apartment. Back in December, I decided to start sharing the space with a roommate. I asked him to sign a very basic agreement that explained the terms of his rental, things such as how much rent would be, when rent was due, the fact that he'd have to pay for damages he or his friends were responsible for, etc. This agreement clearly states an expiration date of May 1, 2010.

Now.

Today, I came home from a weekend trip and discovered both the front and back doors were unlocked. To me, this is an inexcusable lapse of security -- a serious threat to my apartment, belongings, and my cats. This, on top of some other issues I have (like the fact that his room stinks to high heaven) has pushed me to give the guy 30 days' notice. I want him out.

I've written up another agreement explaining a shift of terms for April, 2010. I've stated in the document that he's been given 30 days' notice as of today, that he'd have to have his stuff out of the apartment by April 30, that we'd both look over the room for damages and agree on how that should be handled, etc. It's not terribly detailed. I even broke down how the rent should be paid if he only stays through part of the month. Because I like his mom, I'm charging less rent (provided he moves out early; still asking full rent for the full month).

What I want to know is:
- If he signs this document, would it hold up in court in case something happened?
- What if he doesn't move out by April 30? What can I do?
- Does the previous document supersede this one?

Basic questions seeking basic answers.

Not basic questions. Very complicated questions in fact. You have created some sort of quasi-sublessor situation. Are you co-tenants with a side agreement, or are you some sort of landlord? Does your state's statutory tenant-landlord law apply? You could argue about these issues all the way to your state supreme court (whatever state you are in) because it is a weird relationship.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Alchenar posted:

On the other hand his roommate might just be a simple lodger.

Lodger as in a hotel guest? That would be an interesting argument. That makes it even more complicated.

Your safest bet would be to look up PA's landlord-tenant law and treat the roomate as if he was your tenant.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Incredulous Red posted:

This sounds like it might be hearsay

Admission of a party / opponent. Not hearsay.

You should be able to get a judgment in small claims, but that is only half the battle. Is your roomate collectable? Does he have insurance? If the answer to those questions is "no" then don't waste your time.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Nietzschean posted:

I have an invention idea. It is a software application which could be used with present electronic hardware in a specific medium. How do I go about researching if this idea is already patented, and, if it is not, in getting it patented? Will I need to patent just the software, or do there exist some sort of loopholes like with processes or materials? What type of paperwork, legal counsel and other professionals will I need to assemble before I can do this? My goal is to sell my idea to another entity outright for a sum of money, but to make sure that it's buttoned-up tight before I enter discussions so that it can't just be taken and used.

I guess what I'm asking for is a How-To from coming up with an invention concept to final sale to a company that will use it.

Patents are horribly complicated and are not do-it-yourself friendly, or even really do-it-yourself possible. In order to determine whether the idea you have is patented, you must have a "prior art" search done by a patent professional - not just a regular lawyer, but a lawyer who has passed a specialized patent bar exam. This is a process that costs of many thousands of dollars. Then preparing the patent application is likely to cost many more thousands of dollars.

You can go and try to sell your idea with or without a patent. You are on your best footing if you get a patent. If not, you will have to get the folks you are selling to sign a confidentiality agreement. This is a much more dangerous approach, because once you tell your idea, it is out of the bag, and the other party could conceivably make some design changes and seek a patent on a similar design outside the scope of your confidentiality agreement.

If you don't have the money to pursue the patent, you might want to find financial backing. That is tough to do, for a lot of reasons. If you go in and tell a backer about your idea, he or she may steal it and patent it, unless you have them sign a confidentiality agreement. Most banks won't take a wild-eyed risk on a potential invention. Most private investors are going to want a big share of ownership. That will impact you when you sell.

Or you can just call Anthony Sullivan and try to get on an episode of "Pitchmen."

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

jase1 posted:

I haven't broken the law every time. I have been pulled over now for a 7th time last night and I was with people and had one of them record it. I was only breaking the law twice out of the 7 times. Each time he has pulled me over he has made me take a DUI test and each time I have passed. Last night he pulled me over for what he says was my license plate light wasn't working but when I got out of the car it was on and I explained to him it's on and working. He told me that he couldn't see it on and then gave me the DUI test again. I explained to him that my friend was recording this and he said he didn't give a gently caress. He also wrote me another yellow warning and refused to give me his badge # but I have his name and vehicle number.

I have taken extra precaution when driving on this turnpike now. I drink a redbull before I leave the poker game and make sure I am wide awake. I set my cruise at 63 miles an hour which is 2 miles under the speed limit. I make sure both hands are on the wheel and my seatbelt is on and every Saturday night when I pull into the booth to get my toll ticket between 2:30 and 3:00 am he is there waiting for me and follows me for at least 2 or 3 miles then pulls me over.

I beleive I am getting harassed for some reason and I don't know why. I am not going to make a complaint yet but I will keep recording every instance and have all those warnings saved and I am speaking with my lawyer Monday regarding this. When I spoke to him on the phone he basically told me if the police want to pull you over they will always find a minor infraction to pull you over for even if its bullshit.

I have never been in trouble with the law I have only ever had 1 speeding ticket and it was 10 years ago. There is no reason for this guy to be doing this to me. I know I am in the right here and plan on fighting this I just need to put up with his bullshit a little more so I have concrete proof what he is doing.

Just then they came in sight of thirty or forty windmills that rise from that plain. And no sooner did Don Quixote see them that he said to his squire, "Fortune is guiding our affairs better than we ourselves could have wished. Do you see over yonder, friend Sancho, thirty or forty hulking giants? I intend to do battle with them and slay them. With their spoils we shall begin to be rich for this is a righteous war and the removal of so foul a brood from off the face of the earth is a service God will bless."

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

EvelynPoor posted:

Back in July 09, I was disowned by my parents for reasons I will not disclose here.

I wanna hear that story.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

dvgrhl posted:

My guess is you are gay and your religious parents don't really have the love of Jesus in their heart like they preach to others about. Also, your parents disowning you really has nothing to do with the question you are asking, so including that bit of info but cock-blocking us on why it happened is mean, and thus I think that anyone that replies to you should guess as to why it happened.

But to your question, why not just not pay the last months rent to her? Or if you are an ethical person, only pay the difference of what the deposit doesn't cover. Unless you are moving out this month and have already paid her. In that case I would ask her for the deposit back when you move. But for $200 you have to ask yourself how much your time and effort is worth to fight her for it if she isn't willing.

Okay, I'm in. I don't think she's gay, I think she picked the wrong guy. You know, the guy in a black leather jacket, the dangerous one. Think young Marlon Brando. She broke curfew again and again, racing around on the back of Brando's motorcycle, sneering at her parents. She was an embarassment to the whole family, and dragged the "Poor" family name through the mud. Being from a small town in Iowa, there was no greater crime.

As to the legal question, I don't know California law, but in my state, the OP would have no claim to recover the $950 voluntarily paid in the first place.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

xaoult posted:

I got a communication cease and desist letter that wasn't even certified from the parents of a 23 year old adult. I'm not sure if they can tell me not to talk to another adult, is this even possible?

This is in Utah also.

There is nothing magical about putting the words "cease and desist" in a letter. There is nothing magical about sending a letter by certified mail.

What you got is a letter from a girl's parents telling you to keep your grubby goon paws off of their precious princess. Unless the letter came from a court or a prosecutor's office, there is no legal effect. Feel free to keep on stalking!

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

warheadr posted:

I've suddenly gotten into a bit of a clusterfuck of a situation with my apartment and am looking for some advice. Apologies if this is stuff that's been touched on already, I've spent so long looking all over the internet for information I may have missed it glancing through the thread.

Anyway, I rent my apartment. Included with the rent is water. All other utilities I pay. A couple months ago I get a letter from attorneys representing a bank saying the landlord had entered into an Assignment of Rents with the bank, which financed the property. So at that point I was to start paying rent to the bank and not the landlord. Fine, I've heard of this at least in passing before, it all checked out, every tenant in my building (18 units) was told to do so.

Fast forward to today. The city shows up and shuts off the water. Apparently the landlord owes $6,000. This starts to make sense when we consider he's already had to enter an Assignment of Rents with the bank, he obviously owes money everywhere and hasn't been paying anything. We ask the city if we can instead open up individual accounts and start paying our own water. No dice, it apparently has to go through the building owner, something or other about the meter running into the building.

No one can track down the landlord. Apparently he has other buildings in town that are already in foreclosure. No one knew about this. He owes money all over town we're told.

So now I have no water, and the city is saying that legally speaking in 48 hours if water isn't turned back on through payment of the outstanding bill, the entire 18 unit building can be declared unfit for living in and condemned. We can't pay a $6,000 bill of some guy we can't find, so we can't figure out a way to get water back.

My question now lies in this: I clearly need to get the gently caress out of here. I have been led to believe I can write a letter to the landlord (if I can track down an address where he would be) saying that he is under violation of the Landlord-Tenant code of Virginia stating he has to maintain a habitable building by providing running water and thus the lease is broken and I no longer have to pay rent and am free to move (or at least that's what I gather in a nutshell? Something about a constructive eviction?) But if the rent is now going to the bank as an Assignment of Rents, doesn't that mean they have the lease now as well? So they would have to pay the water and get it back on or would I have to notify them I'm not paying rent and am leaving?

It's not like I even have another place picked out yet. That's first thing in the morning. I just know that there's very little I can do here legally, and I want to cover my tracks so I don't lose any more rent to a lost cause but also don't get sued later for not paying someone I still should have.

Wow that's a lot of words. Thanks guys! This literally came out of nowhere, not a single one of us had any clue what was going down with this guy. I feel like a helpless idiot for not seeing the writing on the wall and getting stuck in this position but that's how it goes, could always be worse.

Start by contacting the attorneys for the bank. If you all stop paying your rent, the bank will lose. So they have some motivation to solve the problem. Whether they will be permitted to solve the problem by the water company is a different matter. But certainly, don't pay the bank if you are not receiving a habitable dwelling. I am not a Virginia lawyer, but I would be shocked if the assignment gave the bank any greater rights than the landlord had. If, under the VA code, your liability for rent is cut off by the landlord's behavior, then your liability to the bank is likely cut off as well.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

floramarche posted:

Ohio Probate questions

With the clear understanding that this is not legal advice and is presented for information purposes only, here are my off-the-cuff, no-legal-research-performed, we-do-not-have-an-attorney-client-relationship answers:

1) Am I correctly reading the order of descent as whoever is closest to the decedent has full rights and responsibilities to the estate, or would people in the next category also have a say? For example, if a child is the closest living relative, but the decedent's mother is also living, would the mother be able to contest the child's administrator request?

The administrator has full rights to manage the estate, subject to liability to the other beneficiaries for mismanagement or self dealing. Yes, any potential beneficiary may object to the appointment of an administrator. The administrator typically needs to be an in-state resident, and must have sufficiently good credit to be bondable.

2) Are personal items, such as clothing, small electronics, furniture etc. considered to be part of the estate? Do these things need to be part of the inventory, or is there a dollar limit below which items need not be disclosed?

All assets are considered to be part of the estate, but most inventories I have seen have grouped the household goods together without individually listing the goods.

3) When writing the inventory, is it necessary to hire an appraiser, or can the administrator assign value him/herself?

I don't think you need an appraiser for anything other than real estate.

4) Would I need to file an application to be named administrator before requesting summary release, or can these be done concurrently?

Yes, you must file an application first.

5) How long does the process typically take? Would it be feasible to have everything completed within a week of the family member's death? [asking as I live several thousand miles away.]

Nothing gets done in the legal system in a week, and if you live thousands of miles away, you are unlikely to be named the administrator.

6) If the estate is over the $5000 limit (unlikely), how does this complicate the probate process? What are the effects on the timeline?

You would have to go through full administration, which takes longer and requires more filings. Hard to predict a timeline for a specific court - all county probate courts have their own rhythm.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

floramarche posted:

Thank you Solomon Grundy and entris. That cleared up a lot for me.

Now I have one more question. Let's say I waive my right to administer the estate. Can the courts force me or a more distant relative to take the role, or is there a mechanism in place for a court-appointed guardian to finish the job? Or, is it possible to simply allow the state to take ownership of all the assets and not have anything at all to do with this?

Most Ohio probate courts will appoint a local probate lawyer to act as the adminstrator under these kind of circumstances. It is often a losing proposition for the lawyer, but they/we do it to keep the goodwill of the probate court. But if nobody seeks to open the estate, the court will never know to appoint someone.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Incredulous Red posted:

Talk to your union rep?

Charter schools typically aren't unionized (which is why conservatives love "school choice" so much).

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Clip My Wings posted:

Question and I apologize if it's been asked before as I must've missed it.
Is the dollar number in my settlement public record? I don't want certain members of my family knowing how much I've gotten in my settlement in a personal injury suit & some of them would know to look me up on E Courts where it does show things like each motion and appearance date. The case is over, so i'm not discussing a case that's current by the way. Thanks.

There's no absolute answer to this question. In most PI cases, at least in my state, the settlement agreement does not become public. But there are situations when the settlement agreement does get filed with the court. For example, if you were a minor when the settlement occurred, the probate court may have had to approve your settlement. Or if the defendant refused to pay after signing the settlement agreement, an enforcement action may have been necessary, which would have required the settlement agreement to be filed.

So your best bet would be to call the lawyer who handled the case.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Auracounts posted:

You might want to consider consulting with an attorney in your area that focuses on insurance/personal injury cases, because they will have ample experience dealing and negotiating with adjusters. Most will consult for free, and if they decide to assist you, most will assist on a contingency basis.

Yes, but if you go to them with JUST a property damage case and you were not injured, do not expect them to take the case on a contingency fee.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Xinlum posted:

So if I contacted the ACLU and they took the case or whatever, they pay the lawyer?

Yes but they won't take the case.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Xinlum posted:

Public high school in Texas. 12th grade graduation ceremony.

Normal principles of U.S. law don't apply in TX. Get on your knees and pray to Jesus, you filthy heathen.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

entris posted:

Go to law school and then practice human rights law. The ACLU always needs new lawyers for its staff and stuff, so it's super easy to get a job there, although it only pays like $80k so it's not great or anything.

Oh Jesus.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

SWATJester posted:

It depends on the circumstances whether the lyrics were a work made for hire or a joint venture between the authors.

And - it is not an easy question at all. The end result is that you may be able to use the lyrics, but you may have to pay a performance royalty. But it is a well complicated analysis before you get to a result.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

My contracts class was kind of a gigantic joke, but I do remember the professor mentioning a 'parol evidence rule'

I'm not sure what the exact content of the rule is and if jurisdictions actually use it, but I thought the jist of the rule was that verbal modifications of written contracts - especially when they directly contradicted written contracts, didn't hold much water (unless we're talking about warranties or something).

Again, IANAL (Is there an acronym for "I am just a stupid 1L" yet?) but I think the poster is ok.

The parole evidence rule only bars verbal representations prior to, or contemporaneous with, execution of the contract. It does not bar later verbal modification. It is unclear to me when the health club is claiming the modification took place.

But as Alchenar says, the judge's first question is going to be why that provision is not in the contract.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

saintonan posted:

I have a question about the process of hiring a lawyer. I was divorced nine years ago, and have paid child support consistently since the judgment was issued. The children are now over 18 and graduated from high school, so the focus has shifted from child support to college expenses. I've received correspondence from her attorney, and I don't know enough about the law to understand whether the offer is fair or not.

The attorney I used to do the divorce has since retired, and I really didn't think that much of him anyway, so I'm looking for someone new to help me work through this. How do you go about finding a competent family law attorney? The divorce occurred in Illinois, and to my knowledge they don't have any sort of board certification process like they do here in Texas (where I live now). What would be a reasonable rate to pay for competent help? What questions should I be asking them before I hire them?

Normally, I would tell you that the best way to find a lawyer is by personal reference from clients of that lawyer. I would say to ask any divorced friends who he or she used, and whether or not he or she liked the lawyer. But in the field of divorce, most clients end up hating the attorney by the end, so you are unlikely to find a lawyer this way.

The next best way to find a lawyer is by asking another lawyer. If you know any lawyers at all, ask them to recommend somebody that does divorce work.

If you don't know any lawyers at all, the next best way is to call a local bar association, and see if they have any lawyer referral service. My local bar association has a list of attorneys and what fields they practice in, and the bar association makes sure that the attorneys on the list have malpractice insurance and some experience in the field.

If there is no bar referral service, then google or the phone book.

Rates vary quite a bit based upon a number of factors - cost of living, proximity to a big city, size of the law firm, experience of the attorney, etc. Divorce practitioners in my part of the midwest, near a 200,000 person city, charge from $150-$250 per hour, and would require a $2,000-$5,000 "retainer." A retainer is an advance payment against which the attorney bills, and then refunds the remainder at the end of the case. Lawyers near bigger cities will charge much, much more. If anyone charges much less, then be suspicious that the lawyer is brand new and doesn't know what he or she is doing.

Good divorce lawyers typically (1) have been out of law school 10+ years, (2) do a substantial amount of divorce work, and (3) are associated with some sort of firm, where the lawyer can walk down the hall and get an answer to a tax or probate question from a lawyer in that field if the need arises in your case. Bad divorce lawyers typically (1) have been out of law school 1-5 years, (2) do not do a substantial amount of divorce work, and (3) are solo practitioners, with nobody to help or mentor them.

Questions to ask include:
How long have you been out of law school?
Tell me about your firm - how many members, what other sorts of work does the firm do?
What was your background prior to joining this firm?
How many divorces and support matters have you handled?
How do you handle fees and billing?

You need to trust your lawyer. If you talk for awhile and get a weird feeling, or don't feel good about it, move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

saintonan posted:

Thanks for the quick response. You said one of the questions should be

What specifically are you driving at here? Trying to find out if they've changed specialties?

You are looking for relevant prior experience or a lack thereof. There is one solo divorce attorney in my area who spent 10 years at a very well-regarded firm, then 20 years as a magistrate in the local divorce court. He has seen it all, and doesn't need to be in a law firm to ask other lawyers questions. If, however, someone has been solo since the day he or she graduated from law school, that usually means that he or she couldn't get a job upon graduation. Buyer beware. Other helpful prior experience is acting as a judicial clerk, especially in the divorce court.