Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

There's a difference between disbelief and follow through, but you make a good point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

I wish that's all it was but never really sure how much I should share. Maybe I should PM someone the details and they can post "yep that's real fuckin stupid" or "nah bird is an idiot" itt

Obviously I can't speak on the specifics of your case, but the low five figure PI case I dealt with in my dad's estate was an annoying, frustrating, drawn out process. A lot of that was just not understanding how to tell if I was getting taken for a ride, and dealing with the emotional aspects of the case and situation. In retrospect, I think we got the best settlement it was possible to get, and there was very little chance of getting more from a jury, with a very good chance of getting nothing at all from 12 capricious idiots.

If you have a 6 figure settlement offer in hand and your lawyer hasn't insisted you take it and walk away, I think that's a very good sign that they are still pushing for more and aren't doing the least possible.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Yeah not only have they not insisted, they didn't even recommend taking it. They made sure I knew I could lose it, which I know, nothing is guaranteed at trial. But even though it's (barely) six figures, it's so little relative to my injuries plus so much of it is going to end up going to BCBS and legal fees, it's still gonna be practically nothing.

I could buy a new truck maybe. If the market wasn't so insane right now.

Whoop de doo.

Don't confuse your dissatisfaction with the process with your lawyer not doing a good job. Switching lawyers is going to cost you an additional third of any payment, so you'd better be sure anyone else you go with is very confident they can get you enough to account for that. Knowing what I know now about it, I'd have to shop it to at least two others and they'd have to agree on a very close, very high figure to make it worth it.

PI suits are to get your bills paid and wages recouped, basically. There's no amount of money that's ever going to make you feel ok with getting hurt from someone else's actions. If your lawyer is accounting for wages and whatever pain and suffering is allowable in your area, they're doing right by you.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

teen phone cutie posted:

what's the likelihood of them coming after the $300 difference?

Not a lawyer, but the only person who can really answer that is going to be the landlord, and they'll never honestly answer it.

They might never report it, or they might sell it to a collection agency who hands it off for years and dings your credit report every time it changes hands, or they might sue you. There's really no way to predict it.

Landlords have gotten insane lately with income requirements, background checks, credit reports, and even requiring references, and there's no indication they're going to be backing off any time soon. You may want to consider how a ding in your rental history is likely to screw you in the future.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

ADA protections (what few there are) also apply to perception of disability, not just actually having a disability.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

This is only legal-adjacent, I think, but are there any Californians with experience in keeping a landlord off your back to have an emotional support animal when pets aren't otherwise allowed? I'd happily pay an extra deposit, but they don't want to give that option despite the clear signs of one or multiple cats in here previously so I don't really care.

I'm willing to pay a certificate mill if that's what it takes, but if that doesn't help or isn't necessary, that would be great to know beforehand.

E: for the record I do have diagnosed emotional/mental disabilities as recognized by ADA and CA law

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 19, 2022

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Javid posted:

To clarify, has your landlord refused to let you pay a pet deposit or stated they would not allow an ESA? The only requirement is that you have a letter from a doctor stating you need an ESA, and that you give a copy of that letter to your landlord. An ESA is not a pet, and they have no ability to charge you a deposit for it, or refuse to permit it based on pet rules.

Google has the following for california specifically: https://www.dfeh.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/32/2022/04/EmotionalSupportAnimalsandFairHousingLawFAQ_ENG.pdf

That link is really helpful, thank you. All the results I could find were from certificate mills and various similar sources so I was having a hard time getting legitimate info about requirements.

I haven't broached the subject of a pet with them, but the lease says no pets except for ESAs. It's a management company and no employee so far has displayed any ability to exercise judgement or act with basic courtesy, so I expect they'll demand a letter. If it can come from my regular doctor as this document indicates, I shouldn't have much problem getting that.

I think the likelihood of them finding out or actually caring about a pet is low, but the consequences would be bad, so we need to keep it above board if I'm to have critters (even though the house reeks of cat piss already).

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Javid posted:

I wouldn't regard it as "demanding" a letter; the letter is what legally differentiates your ESA from a random pet, so getting it is just the process of proving that to them. But that's what you should expect, yeah.

What I WOULD do is just ask them tomorrow what kind of paperwork they want for an ESA. This is federal law, if they own a lot of properties you will be the tenth person this year to ask that person that question; I bet they just have a form you can fill out and have the doctor sign, but if not it'll just be a letter which will ALSO probably be the tenth one your doctor has written recently. Once they have that on file you're good; it doesn't apply to any one specific pet, since they don't have to be trained or anything, it's just a "this animal is not a pet" pass for whatever ESA you end up with.

I have personally gone through this process with a big faceless apartment-corp in a state that touches California, and it was literally just giving them the paper. They don't care past that.

That's good info and I like that approach. It'll be a few months realistically before I can get an animal, but that makes me feel better about the process. Thanks.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Gin posted:

This is called the Released Value and is the federal requirement minimum insurance value.

Chances are OP signed off on this on the moving contract. He/she were likely offered additional insurance (like replacement value) and declined.

Would you need additional insurance? If it was covered by your own personal property coverage, could you make a claim to them and let them subrogate it to the moving company's insurance?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Worth mentioning the common scam of "Ok we signed the contract and agreed on the costs and have moved all of your things into our truck, but now that we've arrived with all of your things in our truck I've changed my mind and actually want double the money we agreed on. If you call the cops, they will show up and say that it's a civil matter contract dispute that they are holding all of your possessions hostage, and you'll just have to figure it out with us. Of course, if I'm feeling generous, we can cut a deal where I just unload everything from the truck for the original price, onto your lawn, lol. Sure, you can leave a bad review, we'll just dissolve the company and reincorporate."

There's a reason movingscam.com exists. Sorry you're dealing with moving company bullshit.

Ok but how do you fight that, besides avoiding it in the first place?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

And the result of the trial gets brought back into the BK which would likely mean it'd get forced into chapter 7 from its current chapter 13.

How does that get you your money?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

therobit posted:

My guess would be the “benefits package” is one thing, and the fact that they are now reporting credit scores are another, and they didn’t do a great job of making that clear. Because they don’t have to ask your permission and if they are a furnisher of credit information to the bureaus then they have an obligation to treat all customers equally and to report accurate information.

If he were leasing a place from Piñata I'm sure that would be the case. Piñata isn't the DBA of his landlord/property manager, it's a separate company and service. The OP addressed all this in the first post and it's really clear that he didn't sign up with Piñata, and thus does not have any relationship with them for them to report. If he does have an account with them, it's because someone stole his identity and signed him up.

Your landlord using the info you gave them for a credit/rental history check to sign you up for something that says you as the individual have to sign up for it is identity theft. If I sign my husband up for a product like this without his knowledge and permission, that's identity theft. You still don't get to legally open accounts in people's names without POA just bc you know their PII, even in America (unless you're Wells Fargo).

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Trapick posted:

Sure just give the sharks guns, what could possibly go wrong.

Sharks lol

It's the dolphins you need to worry about.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nah he fired Twitter’s lawyers. He paid other lawyers a lot of money to draft up the corporate structure docs and presumably other investors have had input.

Apartheid Clyde may not have much respect for federal regulators, but he does at least give the fig leaf that is required by the American legal system to limit ownership liability. For example, even if they are wholly controlled, all his public companies have boards of directors that go through the proper quarterly motions to ensure he and all other owners get shielded from liability.

Who are the board of directors now that our boy has taken Twitter private? People are saying Twitter/Elon is/are already in violation of the FTC consent decree for not timely filing the transfer of ownership paperwork. Introduction of new features without a written infosec plan is also a violation of that decree.

If he's violating the law as CEO, can't he become personally liable like that ice cream exec who's going to do time for poisoning all those people?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I thought threatening any legal action you had no intention of taking or threatening to do something you couldn't legally do was a violation.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Can someone just satisfy my prurient interest and tell me how this poor guy got his dick hacked up?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

come from the same root.

Unlike the remaining pieces of that guy's penis

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

oliveoil posted:

Thanks everyone! Found a debt settlement attorney that says they can probably help me settle for half the amount over about two years, and only about $2k in up front fees. That's pretty much the ideal outcome for me

That sounds like pretty good news!

oliveoil posted:

because I want to keep my savings to trade options with over the next few months rather than hand it all over and miss any big stock market moves.

Oh--ohhh nooo

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

They can't resolve anything amicably without a lawyer if he's kicked her out of her home and forbidden her from asking her kids their opinions. If there was ever a time they could handle this without a lawyer, that time is long past.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

BigHead posted:

I just wanted to say that on Alone, someone stabbed a musk ox to death with a knife while wearing a go pro making it basically the best show ever. And of all the reality shows it, while obviously edited, is the least fake as far as I'm aware.

The answer to your question is probably that they sign all sorts of liability waivers. Things like "This activity will cause your death or permanent disfigurement. You understand that this activity will cause your death or permanent disfigurement, you understand the word death, and you understand the words permanent disfigurement. You agree not to sue anyone in the event of your death or permanent disfigurement." Things like that.

As to the footage the participants have no personal ownership rights to any of it, must likely. The footage would go to the producers, who probably have a contract with Netflix or Discovery or whichever parent company owns the broadcast. The parent companies might vault it, and maybe turn copies over to the Mounties, or might broadcast it onto the moon like a bat signal. The participants have zero say in that most likely.

The FTC probably had rules about broadcasting actual death, maybe, but in the end the whole show is owned by the parent company.

Yeah hacking away at an animal instead of cleanly and quickly killing it is sooo cool, even cooler when it's in service of a loving TV show.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 5, 2023

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I, for one, am eager to hear what happened and how bad it was.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Flora Finching posted:

I have a question about pain and suffering. I was t-boned by a guy who blew through a 4-way stop while running from the scene of another accident. I had pain and complications (had to use a cane) for about 6 months after. He admits to being 100% responsible. My medical bills were covered, as was my deductible and a measly 10 days for a rental car. How do I know what is even a reasonable offer for pain? It's never going to be enough, especially since I'm in serious debt from having to buy a new car but like, if I get a lawyer they're just going to take half so I'd rather just accept a reasonable offer and be done with it. I'm in LA if it makes a difference.

You can shop this around to personal injury lawyers who work on contingency, without going under contract with them, and the going rate in most places (IDK if yours differs) is 1/3, not half. It'll give you a better read on what's typical to charge and whether you have viable claims.

If you had the negotiating skills and leverage as a layperson to get money out of an individual with insurance, you'd have the money by now. In reality, it's the implicit threat of a lawsuit (that can only be wielded by someone who can bring that suit) that gets you any money for personal injury.

There are limitations to how long after the incident you can bring claims and you're probably approaching them.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

I think that is like a huge myth. How would an employer find out you sued someone?
Ive hired 9 people in the last 2 years, well 8 I hired one of them twice. How would I even find out if they sued someone?

It would show up on most any background check because they look at court records.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

Are there any potential nightmarish drawbacks to being the executor of a will?

A good friend has asked me to be the executor of his will and I'm inclined to do it, but just wanted to make sure there isn't some way it can go horribly wrong before I say yes. He's a pretty average middle-aged, middle-class guy, but he also has a tendency to be disorganized, a borderline hoarder, and have a lot of conflict in his family. I've heard that it's common for the executor to essentially resign and hire a lawyer to do the actual paperwork-- is that so?

This would be in Pennsylvania.

The worst part of being executor (besides grieving the person who died) is dealing with their family. Even if the will is up-to-date when he dies (reflecting his actual assets and heirs who are actually alive) do you want to deal with his relations feeling jilted and taking it out on you? Who will plan his funeral and run the obituary?

Will this disorganized, borderline hoarder document all his financial institutions, services, and life insurance policies for you, or will you have to play detective after he dies?

Usually the executor would get the deceased's house ready for sale/transfer. Does he own or rent his home? You can, of course, hire cleaners and charge reasonable expenses to the estate, but will they dig out all the little tchotchkes left to his heirs? Will the heirs fight you about the expense (that reduces their inheritance)? Will they fight you about the expense of a lawyer (that you'll need to make sure you disburse everything properly so you don't take on personal liability)?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

blarzgh posted:

In any event, they cannot recover both the dog and money damages. They can only get one or the other, So they would in essence. Have to agree to let the new holder keep the dog, and instead try and get whatever the dog was worth from the giver away

This is why it's best to steal cheap mutts who are worth less than the filing fee.

It's the perfect crime

E: and they're the best dogs :3:

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 27, 2023

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Balance billing Tricare beneficiaries is prohibited by federal law. If a Tricare beneficiary were dealing with a California medical provider trying to do it anyway, would they talk to a lawyer who does debt relief/bankruptcy law or someone else?

E::vvv that's the info I was looking for, thanks

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 1, 2023

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd welcome your thoughts on the service described below.
https://patriotdefender.com/

Their lack of semicolons really made it difficult to read it out to my spouse in the action movie announcer guy voice.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

My life is so stupid.

Over a dozen of my in-laws are signatories/members to an LLC formed in Wisconsin that owns some land and a few structures there. I want a lawyer who can advise us of the liabilities with this thing before we inherit an interest in it, but we're also considering buying in and need review first.

My husband and I are residents of two different states and we physically live in another state due to military orders in case that affects where the lawyer practices. Is this a pretty normal thing for a real estate lawyer to handle or should we look at someone with different expertise?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

blarzgh posted:

Call a real estate agent or title company near where the property is located and ask for the name of a local real estate attorney.

That'll work, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

some_admin posted:

A friend mentioned he’s “pretty much the executor” of his friend and former roommate. Is just assuming the role of executor of an estate a possibility for non family member? It sounded like the kids and survivors were all good with it, but I feel like this is opening yourself to incredible liability both criminal and civil. Won’t there come a point in time when he have to commit fraud signing something or is it possible to just skate through it if no one complains or notices?

I'm not a lawyer but probate attorneys typically (if not always) take their fees from the state, and in most states they're capped at a few percent of the estate value. At minimum, they can assist with your friend being properly appointed executor, which makes much of this work a lot easier. If it's a small estate, some states have a streamlined process that a probate lawyer can probably advise on too.

Having been an actual executor of an intestate estate, I wouldn't touch this situation with a ten foot pole without a lawyer.