Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Solomon Grundy posted:

$175 is not a lot of money. The filing fee for any lawsuit anywhere is likely more than that. Forget it and move on. The rest of the responses are law-school hypothetical nonsense.

Maybe, Mr. Solomon Grundy, ODC wants justice, even if said justice might come at a price to him. Isn't that worth fighting for?

BTW I could probably find a lawyer who would work for 33% of the recovery + fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Possibly illegal under federal antitrust as a hypo.

Without knowing anything at all about antitrust, isn't the standard one of unreasonable restraint of trade? How would that be balanced against at-will employment (which is what I thought the answer would be)?

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Apparently the former, given the antitrust liability attaching to the latter!

Explain again how it eliminates competition or prevents new participants from entering into the market to compete. Because as far as I can tell, there are still two companies competing, whether or not this deal is agreed upon by the second employer.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007
Craigslist ad. Offer to pay in diet coke and / or basic food items.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007
To put it in perspective, the time to file suit for a tort claim is typically 2-3 years depending on the state. While I'm not familiar with NJ law, in Texas insurance companies often offer a rental car when waiting for repairs / total loss payment, or at the least, a "loss of use" per diem amount for that period. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

The deal with a month sounds like its either contractual or company policy on their part. Regardless, you could always use your insurance and just let them subrogate against the at-fault party (assuming you have appropriate coverage).

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Jeephand posted:

QUESTION:

I hear again and again from everyone that under no circumstances should you ever talk to police whether innocent or guilty. You simply say "I would need to have a lawyer present before we discuss anything".

example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

PS he mainly argues that you shouldn't talk to the police when you are a suspect, NOT "under no circumstances." Also, lol at his TTT "credentials."

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

JudicialRestraints posted:

Cum Laude Harvard? pfff that isn't even Yale!

Whatever legitimacy he might have had is all but gone through his teaching of functional retards. And I was wrong - its FTT not TTT.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

tishthedish posted:

What do you mean by minimum liability policy?

He is referring to the lowest that the policy limits of the other driver's insurance could possibly be, based on Texas law (policy limits being the most that the insurance company will reimburse for the claim). With sparse treatment, you shouldn't have to worry about reaching even minimum policy limits since you would never hit that limit.

Yes, it is possible to obtain treatment after a long gap, but insurance adjusters will look at it skeptically, and likely will continue to low-ball (or even ignore) the additional treatment.

Remember - you aren't limited to what the adjusters offer you, and if you choose, you can file a lawsuit. But if that is what you are thinking, getting a lawyer earlier is better than later. On the flip-side: it often isn't worth filing suit in soft-tissue auto-accident claims, depending on the facts, of course (ex: low property damage, minimal treatment, no aggravating factors i.e. drunk driving)

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007
Legal Questions Mega-O-Wamma XIV: Tell us what jurisdiction you are in!

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007
Fraud would turn on whether or not he knew he was prevented from making the claim. If he did know, omission of such a material fact would likely be misleading.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Jefferoo posted:

I need some help, guys. I just moved out to LA, and in the mixup, my car insurance with Progressive expired.

Well, on the night of the first I was making a left at an intersection, and as I'm making the left I see a car appear out of my right side and in the split second I have to decide whether or not to try and blow through and risk getting t-boned or stopping and hoping this guy stops in time or swerves.

I stop. He hits the front of my car. Body damage, shifts the frame, punctures the windshield wiper tank. About $2200 worth of damage. Like I said, accident wasn't my fault, he hit me. He's threatening to take me to court for the damages to his vehicle. Because I didn't have insurance, does this put me automatically at fault, or should I try fighting this in court or even try counter-suing for the damage?

Solomon Grundy posted:

You turned left into his lane of travel. You did not have the right of way. You are at fault.

Not necessarily. It could depend on how the intersection was controlled.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Incredulous Red posted:

And we've spotted the new, marginally less insane Pookie

He/she has been doing this, in this thread, for a while now. Legal experience: once attempted to contest a traffic ticket.

Wyatt posted:

Potentially irrelevant but interesting side-note: There is currently legislation advancing in Wisconsin that would create a so-called "phantom motor vehicle," which is one that causes a crash without actually touching the other car. Under this new law, damages to an insured car caused by some numbskull could be claimed against the victimized driver's uninsured motorist coverage. It's designed to account for exactly this sort of thing, where some idiot causes a wreck without actually being in one. I am not familiar with California law beyond what cursory searches can yield, so I don't know if you have anything like this available to you. But your insurance adjuster would know (not that they're known for jumping at the chance to pay out for repairs).

That's pretty interesting, but it seems hard to prove. At least in Texas, I've seen cases of faulty evasion where it almost seems like the victim would have been better off just taking the hit, since it would usually stop the at-fault car.

TheBestDeception fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 27, 2011

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

powertoiletduck posted:

Hi guys - copyright question.

A group has a free list of 'sample questions' to help pass an exam. How would I stand in creating a set of worked correct answers to these questions?

Do I need their permission? I know the guys who run the group, so I'll end up approaching them anyway, but do I need their consent?

This was totally a case in copyright.

I forgot the answer :( Maybe EvilWeasel knows

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Incredulous Red posted:

Step 1: get a lawyer

Does the Michigan AG's office not offer child support services?

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Konstantin posted:

I doubt it. In fact, if you go to the press with this they may cover it, and press coverage helps push regulatory agencies to act.

Under the FCA (and many state analogues), public disclosure serves to bar the bringing of an individual's qui tam suit for fraud.

TheBestDeception fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

El_Elegante posted:

No, you idiot. "Other people do it all the time" is exactly what you're saying, and it's exactly the wrong defense. You can and should plead poverty as lawyers who understand How Things Work are telling you.

You're twenty and have never handled any kind of legal matter before, I would defer to the professionals.

The best part is when he proceeded to try to answer the question following his own.