Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Lenins Potato posted:

I get what you're saying. I should add that after he stopped me, he told me to get out of the car. Talked to me for a minute about my headlight and where I was coming from. While I was standing next to him I gave him my license and then he told me to get my insurance and registration. That's when I went to the passenger door to get into the glovebox. A few seconds later he appears at the driver side door and opens it. It just made me raise my eyebrows since I've never had a cop casually open my door and search the car (especially since the state I'm in sees your car as an extension of your home). I was going to ask him to stop, but I wasn't sure if leaving my window open allowed him to do that. It sounds like I would have been in my rights to do that from your post.

I should note that he wasn't completely alone. There were at least four other police cars pulling people over around that intersection. Granted it wasn't exaxtly a roadblock either.

All of this over a busted headlight, and you were never asked for your consent to the search? The prosecutors in your area need to fax their local law enforcement a copy of Arizona v. Gant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Corsair Jr posted:

I was in a traffic accident about a week ago and am wondering what the best approach to take is....The officer later came to the hospital and wrote me a ticket for reckless driving because "witnesses said I was speeding". Is this worth getting a lawyer for? ...One lawyer quoted a fee of $1,500 to take the case. Is that high? This is in Virginia.

Reckless driving here in Virginia gives you -6 points on your DMV score and is a class 1 misdemeanor. It's worth fighting. $1,500 is a bit high; I would shop around a bit. Depending on the facts, the charge may go away completely, or you might be able to reduce it to improper driving (-3 points, and not a class 1 misdemeanor).

entris posted:

I think the best argument over nomenclature is the GLBT v. LGBT discussion, with the feminists insisting that GLBT perpetuates patriarchy.

LGBT promotes matriarchy :colbert:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I have a question regarding court dates. This all takes place in Virginia.

My friend got pulled over in May and got a ticket with a mandatory court appearance. On his ticket it says the court date is in late July, but he recently got a notice that he is being charged with a failure to appear in court which claims his court date was in late May. Is the date written on the ticket sufficient evidence to throw out the failure to appear charges?

Unless the Commonwealth's Attorney is a douchebag, and if what you're saying is true, then it will be dismissed.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

SWATJester posted:

...Typically an officer would just say "OK, well we'll take a statement and it's between you two". What did he do to piss the officer off enough that he not only gave him a written arrest...

I'm not sure who took the charge in this particular case, but, in Virginia, citizens can go to a magistrate and file a criminal complaint; criminal charges don't have to be taken by a law enforcement officer.

SWATJester posted:

...but the prosecutor actually is going through with it?

The job of a Commonwealth's Attorney when handling citizen complaints is to keep the circus organized. I doubt he/she has any emotional investment in this case.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

SWATJester posted:

My broader point about the prosecutor's involvement was not about emotional involvement, but rather a full docket, with a defensible case (possibly), on some extremely minor property damage....I'm surprised they took the time.

Ah, I see what you were saying. Depending on the office, though, the prosecutor may not have to do much at all except check in with the complainant before court. A paralegal probably prepared the file, and the complainant should have filled in a request for any necessary subpoenas when they filed the criminal complaint.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Solomon Grundy posted:

Incidentally, I have both used and guarded against this strategem in the years since. On one occasion, my client was willing to walk away if the other guy didn't sue. So on the last day of the statute of limiations, I sent a clerk to the courthouse with a complaint to file only if the other guy filed a lawsuit. He stayed there all day, watching what was filed. Sure enough, the other guy's lawyer showed up with 1/2 hour left in the day, and filed a lawsuit. My clerk followed instructions, and filed my lawsuit right after. The suits were consolidated and we were off to the races.

(I'm a criminal law guy.) At least in Virginia, I think that a counter-claim relates back to the date of the other lawyer's pleading for purposes of the statute of limitations. So there would be some protection against that nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Javid posted:

I have heard that those ticket lawyers can get a better deal than you can on your own, but I haven't had to try it myself.

On average, I'd say this is the case. Traffic attorneys are usually at least somewhat familiar with the court (and, if applicable, the prosecutor) hearing the traffic infraction. They will know what the judge (and prosecutor) likes to see, what alternate, lesser traffic statutes might be used as an amended charge, etc.