Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

tremendous dicks posted:

If youre referring to the papers from court, I dont have them anymore unfortunately.

Those papers should be on file at the courthouse. You might want to get copies of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Thorias posted:

How is it possible that you can get charged for failure to appear in court when you never received any notice whatsoever from your lawyer, the court or otherwise about a court date, shouldn't there be something wrong there?

Well, if you have a lawyer for that particular matter, the answer to your question is "malpractice".

What did you fail to appear for?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Thorias posted:

My brother failed to appear in court yesterday and didn't even know it and got no notice of it from his lawyer, and found out today that he had missed it. It just seems like they would want to let you know something if you have a court date to me.

Again, what charge was he supposed to appear for?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Thorias posted:

Hm, I'm thinking it was trespassing/communicating threats.

Fun guy. Which state was this in?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Thorias posted:

Hillbilly hell, North Carolina.

Edit: To give a little backstory to the situation, the plaintiff is his (still-legal, yet estranged, not yet divorced) wife, who around August of 2009 decided she didn't want him living there anymore and told him to get his things and get out, which he did. Of course, after being together and living there for over 10 years and having 2 children it's been pretty messy, the trespassing charge is from when he went back over there to talk to her like a day after she had kicked him out since her dad owns the property she brought about the trespass charge, and I think he did make some threatful comments over the phone, out of anger like any normal person would, so she brought about charge from that as well and they have been going to court over the end of 2009 over it, until finally around December it just kept getting continued over and over until finally they stopped setting court dates for awhile, my brother called for several weeks trying to find one out but they didn't have one set up, finally he gave up calling, figuring that his lawyer would call him when they finally set one, nope, apparently sometime between now and the middle of February they had set one for yesterday and his lawyer didn't let him know about it.

So he has legal representation for this matter?

Stay out of it and let his lawyer handle it.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Thorias posted:

That's what I've been doing, what I mainly want to know is how come it's possible to have a court date and not be told about it, with a letter, or a phone call or anything from the court or the lawyer? It makes it sound like to me that his lawyer doesn't really care about winning this case if he won't tell his client about the court date.

It's possible his lawyer wasn't notified- if it's a new charge, the summons would be sent to your brother. If they sent it to the wrong address, say, you soon-to-be-ex sister-in-law's address (either because they got it wrong, or because your brother told them he lived there when he was cited for trespassing), they would assume it was sent to the right address, he wouldn't have gotten it, and the court would have thought he got it and ignored it. If this is the case, it's correctable (unless he told the cop he lived there).

How exactly did he find out that he failed to appear?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Han Solo posted:

Earlier today I used my perfect pull ups (they are a pull up bar and handles that you install into your door frame.) As I was doing my first or second pull up, the handles both snapped. I fell on my back and my head whipped into the tile floor. My toe is also killing me but thats no biggie. I'm pretty sure I have some kind of concussion. I didn't get knocked out but I started feeling very weird afterwards and my vision became very blurry for a while. Now I just have a bad headache and I feel like crap. Its taking me much longer than normal to write this. I would go to the hospital but I know there's no point. I've had this happen to me before in rugby games and the hospital does nothing but tell you that you don't have internal bleeding and then charge you a ton of money. Do I have any legal basis to sue the perfect pull up company? I understand that accidents happen as a result of normal living that are no ones fault and I don't like to go around blaming stuff on other people but I only used these pull ups because I thought they were safe and now I have another concussion. I live in New York. If this situation is what is referenced by rule 5 in the first post, forgive me.

Also, I searched to see if this has happened to anyone else and it seems like the handles snapping is a common problem.

Well, I haven't gotten to products liability yet- you should ask samglover about whether you have a case against the company. But I will say that if you don't go to the hospital, you'll have a real hard time proving damages if you choose to sue the manufacturer, since there won't be any record about the existence or extent of the injuries you suffered as a result of their defective product.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Dolphin posted:

Michigan...

I just wanted to verify some communication things when talking to the Police...

When picking up a vehicle (towed) from the Police, am I legally required to provide the Police with any information whatsoever other than my name and address? For instance, if the vehicle was uninsured and the Police asked who drove the vehicle to the location from which it was towed, would I be required to provide an answer? If I'm not actually present in the vehicle and haven't been pulled over, could I be required to show proof of insurance on the vehicle?

Well, if the cops are asking you if you have insurance when you're about to get into a car right in front of them and drive away, maybe, just maybe, you should have insurance

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

The Rokstar posted:

Anyone know what the laws/regulations are regarding sending produce in the mail across state lines? I live in California and would like to send some oranges in the mail back to my family in Indiana but have no idea what the rules are on that.

quote:

Fresh fruits and vegetables are nonmailable unless presented in a dry (not dried) condition. Other perishable foods that are capable of easily decomposing or that cannot reach their destination without spoiling are nonmailable. Packaging must be strong and securely sealed as required in DMM 601.1–8.

You're good. Unless you're shipping into states like Hawaii or California, you shouldn't have a problem

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

excellentcoffee posted:

So just to clarify, I do have the right to an attorney before I meet with her, correct? Regardless of me already testifying at the Grand Jury? I just need to ask the prosecutor when I go in for the meeting? Would she have to read me my miranda rights again?

EDIT: Uh, dumb question, but what would the attorney do at the meeting? Just talk to me and tell me what to say?

EDIT 2: I've contacted several different lawyers, and right now I'm looking at the cheapest one I can get (300 to go with me to meet the prosecutor). Could I be making a mistake here and rushing into things, or should I just go for it.

Have you done anything at all that could be construed as a crime?

My impression is that they Mirandized you in case you incriminated yourself in front of the grand jury. If the prosecutor had actually wanted to charge you with something, you would have been arrested instead of called into an interview with the prosecuting attorney.

YOU SHOULD STILL GET A LAWYER. A good one. They'll make sure that you don't incriminate yourself, inadvertently or otherwise, and will help keep the prosecutor from leaning on you.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

excellentcoffee posted:

See, that's the thing, though. I have this meeting tomorrow. I just don't have enough time to find the money, then find another lawyer. What are my options at this point? And I mean that seriously, no goon sarcasm here. The only thing I can think of is using my college loans. :/

EDIT: I did call other lawyers, but with it being the weekend, who knows if they could get a hold of me before the meeting. Also, is there any website I could use to find out if this lawyer I have already is any good?

EDIT 2: Would it be a bad idea to request a rescheduling with the prosecutor? And should I mention that I'm getting an attorney? Also, would it be a bad idea to ask what our meeting would be about?

You mention student loans - does you school have a legal aid department for students? I know that my undergrad did, and that they would make referrals to lawyers in the area that they thought had good reputations. At least then you'll have somewhat of a better idea if your money is going to the right person.

Alaemon posted:

Based on my time with the Innocence Project, let me say that you should NEVER rely on this as the deciding factor in your interactions with law enforcement. You may feel that you haven't done anything wrong and so have nothing to hide, but that isn't always the case.

That's fair. I shouldn't have even asked the question, I just kind of stream-of-consciousnessed it in there. I suspect that if he's being called in to meet with the prosecutor, and he testified in front of the grand jury, he's probably going to be one of the prosecution's witnesses, but he absolutely should have a lawyer before he talks the the prosecuting attorney.

Incredulous Red fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 21, 2010

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

excellentcoffee posted:

Any other tips I can use when working with my lawyer?

When he tells you to do something, listen to him

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

BigRedCat posted:

I have a hypothetical situation.

If in my house I found print outs of love letters between my fiance, and a professor at a university(she is not a student). These letters are pretty explicit and make it apparent there were relations conducted in his university office. The emails were also sent from his university email account. If I was to send copies of these to this school's newspaper would I be in danger of getting in trouble legally?

Nice "hypothetical".

Which state? Also, what exactly are you hoping to accomplish here?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

BigRedCat posted:

The hypothetical school is in PA. Basically I want to alert the administration of inappropriate activities on school grounds, but I don't want to have direct contact with the administration.

So this is a revenge thing. Do you care that your fiance is going to get outed this way?

Drop the hypothetical. Nobodys buying it.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

BigRedCat posted:

I do not care in the least.

Did you actually find printouts of these emails or did you go onto her computer without permission and find them?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

BigRedCat posted:

No, these are actual print outs she had hidden in the house. And by hidden I mean in a desk drawer, not stashed away in the wall or something.

From my brief searching, and my albeit unfamiliarity with Pennsylvania law, I'd guess you're opening yourself up to a tort action under publication given to private life. You may actually prevail if you got sued, but you'd still have gotten sued.

You might actually be better protected if you went and talked to the head of this guy's department, or the provost, or something along those lines.

Still, you should probably rethink this course of action. It comes off as really petty and I think in the long run you'll suffer if you do it.

Just go make an E/N and move on with your life.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Alchenar posted:

There's also Theft, and defamation should it turn out he's wrong.

The theft part is maybe arguable. If he duplicates the documents and puts them back, it may not be theft seeing as they were in an area of his home that he had access to. He has the right to move stuff around in his own home.

Defamation potentially might be a problem, but if he just sends the reproduced emails to the newspaper, say, without commenting on them, I don't think he's defamed anyone.

There might be IIED claims, NEID claims, maybe tortious interference if it turns out this guy didn't do that stuff but it hampered his ability to retain his job- it just gets gross.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

BigRedCat posted:

If I approach the administration directly. Since these were sent from a faculty email address, and I'm sure the school has a data retention policy regarding emails. I would think that they would very easily be able to verify that these are real. Would that limit the liability I open myself up to?

Well, assuming they have a data retention policy, it might make the emails more verifiable, but you'd still have issues with the invasion of privacy stuff. Plus theoretically your fiancé could sue you as well for publishing details of her private life.

Seriously, though, why are you going after this guy? Your fiancé betrayed your trust, not him. She's at least as culpable as he is, probably much more.

This is a really petty and spiteful course of action you're contemplating, and no good will come of it for anyone involved.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

The March Hare posted:

Well that takes care of that then now doesn't it.

Know anyone who lives in the Iroquois Nation?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

EVG posted:

Am I legally required to give notice to vacate from an apartment?

We have an apartment lease in Chicago, IL through 04/01/10. It is written into the lease that tenants need to give 60 days notice if they are not planning to renew. I'm not disputing that - what I'm trying to figure out is if the landlord is legally allowed to require this.

We did not give this notice because we were planning on renewing, but due to a loss of employment we can no longer afford this apartment. We spoke to the landlord last week and offered to pay him for April rent. He didn't say anything at the time indicating that he would require us to pay for May, so we gave him the check for April and located and signed a new, affordable lease for May 1st. The landlord says that we are now required to pay 2 additional months (April 2010 and May 2010) because we did not give the 60 days notice.

Is there anything we can do? We can't afford to pay for rent on 2 places for May, and would not have signed a new lease if we had known that he was going to collect for that month.

In addition, according to the Chicago Residential Landlord and Tenant Ordinance, the landlord needs to pay us interest on the security deposit. He has not done so in the 2 years we have lived here, and has told us that he will not. On our most recent lease he actually crossed out the part that said he needed to do so. Is this legal? Does it invalidate the lease? The landlord is an individual who owns a single condo and rents it. He does not rent out any other units.

I haven't spoken to a lawyer yet (it's Sunday) but I've shot off several emails and will make a few calls on Monday.

My preliminary research online seems to show that once the lease term expires (04/01) if we remain in the unit without signing a new lease agreement, the rental term becomes month-to-month by default. Under a month-to-month renewal agreement, you are only required to give 30 days notice. Which we have by telling the landlord we are moving out by May 1st. Once I confirm that this is correct, I'll send it in writing before 04/01 as well.

Please let me know if I'm way off the mark here, or what I can do.

I know Illinois landlord/tenant law says that owners of residential rental properties that are like less than 20 units don't have to pay that interest. There may or may not be a local ordinance that extends that to single unit landlords.

I'd check with these guys:
http://www.tenant.org/ <---- Chicago Tenant Union

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

EVG posted:

I basically told him "Listen, we haven't signed a lease and we can't afford this place, we'll pay you for April (because it was already 03/26) but we're getting a new place for May and not renewing".

We were rejected for the other place we applied for starting on 05/01, so I guess it's now a non-issue.

However, Tenant.org got back to me and says that he IS required to pay the interest, even as a single-unit landlord. And the penalties can be up to double the security deposit back, plus the missing interest, for EACH YEAR - as well as legal fees. We're been there for 3 years.

What I'm trying to decide is whether I would be a jerk to pursue this (because the interest rates have been insanely low). On the other hand, he DID knowingly cross out part of the required lease and according to Tenant.org reps, that shows that he purposefully was avoiding paying interest and it is specifically noted that doing this does NOT invalidate that requirement.

That money would be nice... but what are the odds we'd actually get it and just not have it thrown out, and how much legal hassle would it be?

Tenant.org would help you with that stuff. It's probably just a small claims action. But keep in mind, as far as "pursuing this", you only get the interest/penalties when you cash out by moving out.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

joat mon posted:

You're supposed to get the interest paid to you every year, in cash or credit toward rent:
http://www.illinois-attorney.com/080.htm

I stand corrected - I'm pretty glad I'm not a landlord in Chicago.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Gadamer posted:

Quick and simple question, mainly looking for a "Oh, yeah, I had to do that and it went fine/awful" answer:

tldr: roommate hits my car causing $1400 in damage, no witnesses but tells me/my other roommates about it, says he'll pay for it when he can. now refuses, claiming he never hit my car. I know I can take him to small claims and try to use my roommate's testimony that he told them about it as evidence and get the money, but is this very plausible?

This sounds like it might be hearsay

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Mappo posted:

I live in SC and my friends run a theater company that puts on a yearly haunted house. (As in a local attraction, not in someone's back yard.) For the past 7 years I have worked with them as a paid actor, its a lot of work for little play but very fun. However little by little things seemed to have changed.

Last year was the first year that they where not able to pay us. Yet attendance and ticket prices had gone up, and expensive had gone down. This was also the first time that they hired us as volunteer's. We where told (but not in writing) that we would still be paid, and that this was to weed out those who only do a half-rear end job or don't show up. (This is a problem that we have faced before so it seemed like an OK agreement at the time.) Obviously, next year I will not sign a contract as a volunteer for their company.

Also they have re-hired the co-owner of their former acting company, who stole from the companies bank account and forced them to close that company and open the one they now run.

I was talking about this to my dad the other day and he stated that if they could not pay me I could legally ask them to open their books and explain why. (if I wasn't a volunteer) Also if the former co-owner stole from the company to the point that they could not pay me, I could take them to court.

My father used to own his own business so I don't think he is talking out of his rear end. I have no desire to take my friends to court over this; but this job requires a lot of hard work from all of us and I don't want them to screw me over. We have always had a good relationship, but the guy that stole has more and more pull with them and I don't want to work my rear end of again and not get some compensation. So if next year they are unable to pay me, will I have any legal options?

tl;dr: I think the company that I work for is screwing me over, do I have any legal options?

So would you say that you do this because it's fun or because it's a significant source of income for you?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Trillian posted:

Yes, you should totally make legal threats over your "job" that pays $16 a day.

This is pretty much your answer buddy.

It's not like you have some sort money invested in the haunted house, right? If you don't like the situation, and you don't work for these guys for free, sell blood plasma for a couple weeks or something and move on with your life.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Serrath posted:

I'm not sure this question is appropriate here but I didn't want to start a whole new thread for my own (minor) legal problems.

I live in Australia (Queensland) and I was caught by a speed camera doing 12km over the speed limit. This means I'm liable for the fine imposed when you're caught doing 12 or above over the limit but less than 20. I really want to contest this but my only defense is that I simply don't think I was going that fast. I remember the date and the trip (it was only 8 days ago) and I was with my girlfriend and she flips her poo poo when I speed. It's really tough, though, because speed cameras are seen as objective... I feel like it's mistaken, even if I was speeding, I don't think I was going that much over the speed limit.

Is there any point in contesting this? Is the argument that the speed camera is wrong a valid reason to contest this or is it possible I will be further penalized for making a fuss? It's not about the money; I'm happy to pay the fine but I don't want to accrue 3 points on my licence, especially given that I don't feel the ticket is accurate.

What should I do? I have 7 days to respond to the notice of infringement. Is there any way for me to admit partial liability? Like say maybe I was speeding but I wasn't going that fast or is that like an admission of guilt?

Your only real hope is to attack the accuracy of the camera system.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Alchenar posted:

I hope he has a PhD in engineering.

Not at all. In the states at least they have to furnish you with a copy of a recent calibration certificate for the camera on the day of your appearance. If they don't, you can sometimes attack the presumption that the camera is calibrated properly, and make the inference that the camera is inaccurate.

Also in the states, the traffic enforcement cameras are usually operated by a third party contractor, and not the police department. Frequently the procedure for issuing a ticket will go (1) technician reviews the tape; (2) contract writes complaint; (3) supervising officer signs the complaint. In states like California, both the officer who makes the complaint and the technician who prepares the report have to appear in court to support the complaint, and their failure to do so usually results in the complaint being thrown out.

I'm not saying that these types of things will work all the time (they don't) that they work in Australia, or that the circumstances there are such that they would make these things valid. But it's still a common law system, and at least the underlying reasons why they work are common to both countries - they're the kind of issues you should bring up if you're determined to fight the ticket.

But it's still a traffic citation and he'll probably lose.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

jase1 posted:

Crossposting from another thread because it was in the wrong one.

What do I do about a LEO targeting me on the same highway the same time frame and day every week for about 2 months now?

I play poker about 40 minutes from my house almost every Saturday night. I have to take the Ohio turnpike to get there and usually on my trip back to my house I am the only one on this stretch of highway. The first time I was pulled over it was deserved it was about 3am and I was swerving because I was falling asleep. The trooper pulled me over and was really cool about it. He asked me if I was tired and I said yes and then he asked if I had anything to drink, I told him nope. He asked me to get out of the vehicle and then gave me the field sobriety test. He had me put my hands on my face and follow the pen. I passed with flying colors since I don't drink. I apologized that I had to put him through this and I would be more careful next time, he issued me a warning and that was that.

2 weeks later I get pulled over by the same trooper and I could have sworn I didn't do anything to be stopped. Same thing happens he pulls me out gives me the test I pass and was kinda pissed that it happened again and let my emotions get the best of me and said with a real smart attitude "Do you believe me now that I don't drink?". He gave me a warning and I was on my way.

The very next week same time and same place I was with a friend and he pulled me over again this time for speeding. I was doing 70 in a 65 so he was correct I was speeding. Same thing he pulls me out I do the test I pass and after I pass I tell him "Do you just not like me or something?". He says to shut up and go back to my vehicle. He writes me another yellow warning and I am on my way.

This has happened at least 6 times and each time he has given me the test but not once has he ever wrote me a ticket. I have been basically trying my hardest to not break any laws so he can't pull me over yet he pulls me over every drat time with another violation. I wish there was a different route to go home but it would seriously add like an extra 50 minutes to my drive home and I am being stubborn about it because I am not doing anything wrong.

My question is what do I do. I don't know if I should file a complaint or should I consider this harassment and get a lawyer or what. I don't wanna get involved in some huge case or anything all I want to do is drive home from my poker game every Saturday night without basically having to pay this guys toll or whatever he is doing.

Dude. You're getting warnings.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

TheSpiritFox posted:

I apologize in advance for the stupidity of this question, but my wife and I are insanely curious.

Watching Prison break, and a woman just spoke with her escapee husband and agreed to meet him. The FBI tapped it, and threatened her with aiding and abetting a fugitive and the loss of her kid.

Does it work that way in real life? I know the law can't force your spouse to testify against you, does that apply to reporting them if you're meeting with them?

We were just curious is it was real law or TV law.

Aiding a fugitive is still illegal regardless of whether or not your married to them. The reporting is irrelevant if she's agreed to meet with and help him.

Incidentally, did you know it's a crime to lie to a federal law enforcement officer?

E: It's probably still TV law

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

JudicialRestraints posted:

Pretty sure that in Wisconsin there is a 'spouse/family' exemption for aiding a fugitive.

Um, maybe (Wisconsin is weird as we've established per our discussions from last semester), but pretty sure this hypo would fall under federal jurisdiction

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Toxx posted:

Anyone with any real estate experience have any input on my problem?

Meeting with the landlord tomorrow after I talk with the gas company. As of now my plan has two outcomes:

Gas guy says my stove is ok. I write a statement to the landlord saying why I am not paying for the stove and cleaning. Copy of gas guy's reciept/write off. And go from there.

Gas guy says my stove is broken. I write a statement saying I am paying in full, the cost of the new stove and installation. I am not paying for the cleaning as it was done without my consent.

Anything?

Here's one thing: why don't you explain the situation leading up to your glorious plans a & b?

Right now all I've got is that you're going to be meeting with the gas guy who will put his head in your oven, blow out your pipes and clean them, and then you'll relay to your landlord your gas guy's thoughts on the experience. And you'll be spending money on it that you'll want your landlord to comp you for.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Javid posted:

He posted the entire story on this very page, duder.

Alright, here's the next obvious one:

Hey, Toxx, What does your lease say about damage to the premises?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Toxx posted:

Lease says we are responsible for damage to premises. If gas company says stove is not broken - I am not buying a new stove as I have not damaged the old one. I will of course pay for anything I damage. And the gas man is a free service of my gas company. I'm having him come out in order to tell me whether or not the stove is safe. Stove = safe, I have done no damage. My landlord does not agree. This is my main problem, as I am fairly certain the stove is fine.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. Still I think you'd only be liable for the replacement value of the stove in the apartment. It really depends on where you live. You should contact the tenants union in your town.

Also, what does your lease say about getting quotes for repairs to premises? Most good leases will have a provision for shopping around for quotes that are mutually agreeable to both landlord and tenant in case the premises need repairs at the end of the lease.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Green Crayons posted:

You should bake your cop friend some cookies for the next time he pulls you over. He sounds lonely.

Or brownies. I'd bet he's torn as to whether to eat them or have them tested

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

zabraba posted:

I have a question about the legality of kicking someone out of a shared apartment. I just found out that during the summer semester, a friend of one of my roommates' whom I really dislike will be here constantly, to the point where she will be here for basically everything short of class and sleeping. Now recently we've been civil around each other, but there were times in the past where I almost threw her out of the apartment because she caused several conflicts.

My question is, do I have the authority, since my name is on the lease, to kick her out/have her removed if she causes a conflict with me? I'm usually very tolerant and do not want to ever resort to this, but I don't feel I should be coming home to her every day after classes if we're not getting along at all. I honestly don't care about getting my roommates mad at me for it. I just want to know whether I'll be finding someone to stay with or whether I'll be able to get her rear end kicked out of my apartment so I can live here in peace.

Just throwing it in there in case it's on a state or town basis, I'm in Blacksburg, VA.

Do you guys have separate leases or what? I suspect that your best option is just going to be to prevent her from taking occupancy if you can

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

zabraba posted:

My question is more can I have her removed because it's my place and not hers. I don't know anything about the law for this (hence asking here), but I'd imagine if Person A really dislikes Person B enough, Person A would be able to get Person B removed from Person A's apartment. Sort of like a trespassing type deal, but I guess not quite the same.

What does your lease say about guests?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Nell posted:

I was just pulled over for speeding on the border of the town I live in. I was given a "Code and Ordinance Violation Notice" instead of a ticket. On the "ticket" it says fine$: TBD... Can I get a "ticket" with a to be determined fine for going 10mph over the speed limit?

What state are you in? The border of which two towns? What's the Ordinance number written on the ticket?

These are things that would be very useful in answering your question, since contrary to Wal-Mart America's erroneous belief, the law is not the same the world over.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Nell posted:

Farmington, IL bordering random countryside. No ordinance number: 9-3-1

Call the court clerk in Farmington/the PD and see what it means then report back

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Javid posted:

Oregon:

Bought a used car some months ago, was doing some work on it this week and discovered it had been in a massive collision at some point, and then more or less stapled back together. The mechanic said it should've been cubed at that point. Obviously, this was not disclosed to me at the time of sale. Are there laws governing this, and if so how would one go about filing suit? (Civil, criminal, small claims, what)

It was bought off the owner, not a dealer, if that matters.

Tell us more about your purchasing process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

xaoult posted:

No the letter didn't even look like that, it was just a standard typed up letter without any references to any laws in it at all, and there wasn't even mention of stalking in the letter. From what I understand from it it's just if she makes contact with me, and I reply, or try to make contact with her they'll try to come up with some reason for suing me.

Dude, fill in the backstory. Also the text of the letter would really help.