Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hello. First and foremost, thanks for this thread being here, and thanks to any and all lawyergoons who might read, and better yet, be able to answer my question.

Jurisdiction: Texas, Travis county court. Civil matter.

Situation: I'm being sued. I need to take the issue out of court via Arbitration.

Problem: An idiot to the end, I wasted my 20 days, and now I need to answer the complaint tomorrow morning. I have not done ANYTHING I need to for the case.

Solution?/Question: Can I ask the county clerk for an extension, so that I can do what I need to, and if so, would that action disqualify me from electing arbitration?

Looking for any, all, or partial answers here folks, and the clock is ticking.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Yes, If I don't submit some sort of answer tomorrow morning, I'll have a default judgement made against me.

The problem I'm worried about is, will asking the court for an extension count as something that will forfeit my ability to elect private Arbitration?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

terrorist ambulance posted:

Why would you sleep on your rights for three weeks and then try to deal with it in a panick at the literal last minute

Because, unfortunately for me, I'm still immature and irresponsible, compounded and exacerbated by the stress and trepidation from a legal situation I'm unequipped and unable to competently engage in or combat, that's led to denial and procrastination. But this isn't E/N.

If anyone can, and wants to help, again, I appreciate it.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Just give me the million, already.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

EwokEntourage posted:

Yes, You can ruin your life to avoid paying a judgment. The other side might try to get the court to stop you, who knows if they’ll be successful. There are laws/statutes that can be used to claw back transfers when people try to hide assets, but you absolutely can burn down everything around you and then live in the wreckage.

Isn't that similar to what Lowtax did, just before his end?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

I heard he died?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

I have a legal question about property law in Texas.

Ok, here goes.

In Texas, if I buy a car while married, but the car is solely in my name, does my wife have right to do anything with the car like sell it, put it up as collateral, etc, without my permission?

More specifically of an example, if a contract is written up regarding the car, and lists the contract only under her name, and doesn't name me, is the contract binding?

-

From what I read, the wife in this scenario only is entitled to "my" car or its value, in the event of a divorce. Which is not the case here.

Anyways. Hope this isn't an absolutely stupid question. Thanks.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Where did the money to buy the car come from

Good question.

What are the responses for:

-Joint account. (Clearly both)
-All from husband (clearly just hubby)
Or
Unknown? (Not easily traceable/ not clear)

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

blarzgh posted:

1. Get a lawyer
thays what you fine people are for

quote:

2. Property acquired during the marriage is community property, unless [lists the three or four exceptions], but your question doesn't appear to be about community property, it's ostensibly about a contract, and whether the contract is enforceable, like for example your wife sold your car and now you're trying to balk at the deal, or maybe she signed the car up for some modifications or repairs and you're trying to get out of paying for them.

The enforceability of the contract depends on half a dozen factors, including, but not limited to what the contract was for, and who's name is on the title, and whether the other party performed, and blah blah blah
Feel like we're glossing over the key issue or subject of the Question here.

quote:

3. Good luck with your divorce, get a lawyer
Lol, I'm not getting a divorce!! This ain't about me, but I thought I'd skip the "question about a friend, let's call him.. Bana..na.. la." B.s.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Sorry I wasn't asking about the account, but the source of the money. Whose income bought the car?

Hmm. I don't know theure finances.

I know both him and her are employed.

So either shared income bought the car, or indistinguishable/indeterminate income (which I'll assume is tantamount to "shared income") bought the car.

So it really doesn't matter that it's just his name.. and maybe a finance company on the title? For a contract? Hmph.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

blarzgh posted:

I do NOT CREATE JOINDER

Lol. It's too late. We're, you and I, due in divorce court, apparently, tomorrow at.. idk, 8? Let's say 8. You bring the beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Where is my counsel? These beers ain't gonna throw themselves