Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008
I got a speeding ticket last week, and it says that I must "Appear On or Before 03/06/2010". Which I feel is misleading because March 6th is Saturday, and the court is only open Monday through Friday. What happens if I try to show up on Saturday and find out the court is closed. I'm in Texas if it matters.

For what it's worth I plan on going to court Friday to take care of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

Is it honestly misleading to you? The ticket gives you two options, expects you to figure out which of the options is more doable (or more favorable to you, if they're both doable), and then to do that option.

Isn't it misleading if it says I can take care of it on 3/6/10 and they're not open and I really can't? I'd like to think that something that possibly involves issuing a warrant would be a little better thought out than this. I'm certainly not going to try and test it to see where that gets me. But I wouldn't be surprised if other people have been tripped up by the error.

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008
My friend currently works for a super awesome company, and is possibly going to receive an offer of employment from a client of her current employer. Her prospective employer would continue to do business with her current employer in the same capacity that they are now, so her current employer would not be losing any business if she was to take the job.

This is in Texas, and below is the non-compete that she signed when she was hired several years ago.

non-compete posted:

Dear EMPLOYEE:

During the course of your employment with COMPANY, you will meet and come in contact with many of the company’s clients.

As a tenet of your faith in and loyalty to the firm, and as part of our employment arrangement with you, kindly sign, date, and return to us the enclosed copy of this letter thereby indicating that:

In the event you leave our employment for any reason whatsoever and within a period of two (2) years from the date on which your employment is terminated you serve a client of COMPANY in your individual capacity, as partner or stockholder in another firm, or any employee of another individual or firm, or in any other manner in a professional capacity (the character of such services being similar to those services previously rendered to such a client or clients by COMPANY), you will pay to COMPANY an amount (determined on the accrual basis) equal to the latest year’s fee earned by COMPANY from such client or clients. For purposes of the foregoing, clients of COMPANY are defined to include those for whom services have been performed by COMPANY within the twelve-month period immediately preceding the date on which your employment terminated.

Payment of any sums due, shall be made in four (4) quarterly installments, the first payment being due on the day that the initial service is rendered to the client, with a quarterly installment due on the corresponding day of every third (3rd) month thereafter until the sum is paid in full.

Additionally, during the course of your employment certain confidential information will be made available to you. Such information would include but is not limited to, product design, plans, layouts, client lists, potential client lists, contracts, pricing, and other related information. I understand this information is confidential, proprietary and critical to the success of COMPANY and must not be distributed, communicated or used by me outside of my normal COMPANY job duties and must not be distributed, communicated or used by non COMPANY employees or entities. I hereby agree I will not utilize, communicate, and/or exploit this information for myself or with other non-COMPANY employees, companies or entities.
Would her current employer really be able to go after her for the amount of fees her prospective employer has paid over the last 12 months (several hundred thousand dollars)?

Aside from her specific circumstances, this non-compete looks completely one-sided and absurd, and I'm curious how legit any of the rest of it is.