Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MissConduct
Jun 20, 2008

Hardships are like training with lead weights...
When they come off, you go flying down the road!
I live in Louisiana. My employer is in Pennsylvania.
Someone from the state of Louisiana wrote a letter to my employer that was full of lies about me - things that I can easily disprove.

This was not in an email or spoken word but in a hard copy letter.
I'm considering suing them for Libel.

My question is since the third party is out of state, is this a matter for the state of Louisiana, the state of Pennsylvania or is this a federal matter?

Side question - is there a statue of limitations on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissConduct
Jun 20, 2008

Hardships are like training with lead weights...
When they come off, you go flying down the road!

MissConduct posted:

I live in Louisiana. My employer is in Pennsylvania.
Someone from the state of Louisiana wrote a letter to my employer that was full of lies about me - things that I can easily disprove.

This was not in an email or spoken word but in a hard copy letter.
I'm considering suing them for Libel.

My question is since the third party is out of state, is this a matter for the state of Louisiana, the state of Pennsylvania or is this a federal matter?

Side question - is there a statue of limitations on this?

I was libeled in print. The party in question sent a hard copy letter to my employer who then forwarded it to me.
The person who wrote the letter signed their name in ink at the bottom.

The letter states several outright lies about me in which they call me - amongst other things - a criminal and they attempt to harm me within my profession.
I learned that the state of Louisiana recognizes something called "Defamation Per Se" which means:

The four (4) categories of slander that are actionable per se are
(i) accusing someone of a crime;
(ii) alleging that someone has a foul or loathsome disease;
(iii) adversely reflecting on a person’s fitness to conduct their business or trade;
(iv) imputing serious sexual misconduct.

The plaintiff need only prove that someone had published the statement to any third party. No proof of special damages is required.

I have contacted an attorney and I am in the process of filing in state civil court.