Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pabstsmear
Aug 12, 2008

Harder than Medusa's optometrist.
So for the last two years, i've rented in an awesome house (In California, to give y'all more info) with two roomies i've known for a while and get along with great. Our agreement is with a property management company, who collects our rent, takes a bit for themselves, and gives the rest to the owner of the house, a guy we'll call Bob. Bob calls us up about a month and a half ago and lets us know he's going to be shortselling the house, and that realtors are going to start coming by to show the place soon. Over the course of the next couple weeks, folks show up to check it out. We're not sure if anyone's biting, but it's not really our business, so we don't know if official offers have been made.

Around the beginning of this month, we come home to a notice of foreclosure addressed to him, hanging off our front doorknob. We didn't open it, because it was addressed to him. We talk to him, and apparently he's over 100K behind on his mortgage payments. He hasn't paid in over a year. So it sounds like the bank is going to seize the property.

So here are my questions:

If we end our contract with the property management company (we are on a month to month), their job is done and they have no real claim on the house. At that point, who are we paying rent to? Does the landlord still own it? Does the bank? Is there any way to work this to get a rent-free month or two out of this?

If the bank is seizing it, how does that affect our deposit?

Pabstsmear fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU