Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticky wizard
Nov 19, 2008

Not sure if this the right thread for this, so please direct me elsewhere if I've hosed up.

I'm in a bit of a situation I don't much care to be in. I've been working at an American University for approximately 7 months, and plan to leave in about 3 months to go back to graduate school (at a different university). Everything was going fine and dandy till I strained my back on the job. I was moving a very heavy piece of equipment using "proper" procedure and about 2 hours later my lower back did a big "gently caress you" and I've been in pain ever since. This was last Wednesday, I followed all the proper procedures (notify supervisor, fill out 'first report of injury' and get an initial appointment at the workers health clinic). The nurse there said I had a lumbar strain and gave me naproxen, a heating pad and put me on restricted duty. Since then, my back has gotten worse.

I have a meeting with an occupational health and safety representative the day after tomorrow to discuss how I managed to hurt myself; and earlier this evening I received a notice from a compensation claims management contractor with some important and complicated looking paper work. I'm relatively young and don't much care to be in this situation at all and would prefer it all just go away smoothly.

However, some of my more senior co-workers have advised me that if I'm not careful I could get screwed over. They said that the University will try to give me some small compensation and have me sign away my right to sue them and that I shouldn't accept anything until I talk to a proper lawyer, preferably one with a last name ending in "-stein" or "-witz". I'm leaving the job in a few months and I don't want to get hosed long term with a chronic back injury, but at the same time I don't want to get involved in some drawn out and painful process. I'm pretty ignorant on the whole situation really, so any advice would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU