Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Hey,

I'm a recording engineer that does a lot of work with rappers.

After some drama about a producer stealing beats

(see: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3272432)

I've decided that I need some kind of paperwork drawn up that let's a producer/rapper sign off on the fact the he is legally allowed to use beats for a commercial recording. Where would I go about getting this written up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I got an rear end chewing today on base by someone who isn't a cop for not having backup lights on my vehicle. It's now being turned into a huge deal.

There is no law in the Texas Transportation Code requiring backup lights. This was confirmed, after some research, by the DPS.
http://law.justia.com/texas/codes/tn/007.00.000547.00.html

The cops on base used the following to say that it falls under federal law:

OnBasePolice posted:

a) Under §547.101 of the Texas Transportation Code, the department may adopt standards for vehicle equipment to protect the public and to enforce federal motor vehicle safety standards. Department standards duplicate those of the United States that apply to the same aspect of vehicle equipment or, if there is no federal standard, a standard issued or endorsed by recognized national standard-setting organizations or agencies. This section contains standards for motor vehicle equipment adopted by the department.

(b) Terms and/or Definitions. Unless specifically defined in the Texas Transportation Code, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS, 49 CFR Part 571), or rules adopted by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS), the terms used in this section have the meanings commonly ascribed to them in the fields of vehicle equipment manufacture, vehicle equipment regulation, and vehicle inspection, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise.

(c) Vehicle equipment means a system, part, or device that is manufactured or sold as original equipment, replacement equipment, an accessory for a vehicle, or a device or article manufactured or sold to protect a driver or passenger of a vehicle.

(d) Standards--Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS). The performance standard for vehicle equipment established by the Texas Department of Public Safety shall be identical to the applicable federal standard.

(1) Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment--FMVSS 108:

(A) backup lamp;

FMVSS 108 states:

FMVSS108 posted:

S1. Scope. This standard specifies requirements for original and

replacement lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.
Table I of the FMVSS, labeled "Required Motor Vehicle Lighting Equipment Other Than Headlamps"
says

TABLEONE posted:

Backup lamp ....................... 1 white....................

Now, a backup lamp is required per that table - but the table falls under the scope of "This standard specifies requirements for original and
replacement lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment."

What I'm getting from that is that a backup lamp is only required for OEM or replacement lamps, correct?

If so, what constitutes a replacement lamp?

The vehicle in question is using trailer lights for everything in the back, including running lights, turn signals etc, as required by Texas. In order to fall under the FMVSS for a backup lamp, wouldn't I be required to have a replacement backup lamp to begin with?

edit:I realize that not having backup lamps is stupid, a bad idea, etc etc. The bed of my truck was crushed and I wasn't able to put new lights where the old ones went, so the trailer lights went on - I looked up the texas transportation code, saw that it said "no backup lamps" and didn't put them on. I think the question really is, what constitutes a "replacement lamp"?

e2:removed, irrelevant.

invision fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 10, 2010

invision
Mar 2, 2009

beejay posted:

Just to get this straight, you're using trailer lights in place of the original brake/rear lights in your truck that were lost due to damage?

Yes. There are two stop lights/running lights, and two turn signals, for a total of 4 lighting assemblies.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

JudicialRestraints posted:

Are you going to listen to what people say this time?

Also, whether he's write or wrong you will probably have to hire a lawyer or pay the fine.

Enjoy.

A)What?
B)There's no fine or anything involved in this, therefore there is no reason for me to hire a lawyer.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

JudicialRestraints posted:

A)I tried to help you last time you came in here. You ignored me.
B)Then why is this an issue? Put the lights on your truck.

1)Negative, I didn't ignore you. I DID take your advice with a grain of salt considering you are still in law school, although it does make you more qualified than anyone else. It turned out that I didn't need your advice in the end, though I do appreciate it.

2)Because it's going to cost me a LOT of money in OEM parts to be able to hook up a back-up light since the original re-wiring job is pretty shady to begin with.

3)I enjoy lists also.