Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Question about what I guess would be the eviction process. Say you have someone who claims residence living in your in-law apartment, not paying rent but claiming residence. How long does said person have to have been out of the house living somewhere else to no longer be considered taking residence at the house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Incredulous Red posted:

1) What do you mean by "in-law" apartment?
2) What city/state is this in?
3) Does this person share in the utilities or upkeep of the apartment?

1. Just lower level of a two house. It's indirectly connected to the other part of the house through the garage as the stairs up from the lower level and down from the main level meet there.
2. Connecticut
3. No, said person does not and hasn't paid in part of the utilities or rent.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Not us actually, other family, but the problem is it's one of those touchy mother/kid issues. Long story short at one point said daughter was living with mother, and was supposed to be paying rent, but started doing a lot of hosed up things so the mother and step father began the eviction process, before it was done though the daughter had moved out to an apartment.

Flash forward some time, more bad things happen, daughter moves back into in-law apartment, but not paying rent or anything, her mother took her back in out of the fact she had nowhere else to go. Well a little more time goes by and the daughter just keeps doing terrible things to the point the mother calls the cops to try to get the daughter and her b/f to leave, as she was under the assumption she can just say leave and they'd have to go since she was not a renter. Well cops come and say they can't do that because technically she's taken up residence here so they have to go through the eviction process.

Well the daughter has been out of said house for over a month now living in a variety of places. So at what point would it count as abandoning the residence?

(Also for note this isn't a case of some whiny 18 year old brat who can't get their poo poo together and an over reacting mother, the mother/daughter involved are 26 and 47 respectively)

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the small questions thread, but it deals with the finer points of social security law, so anyways,

My father died about 4 1/2 years ago, what I'm interested in is I'm still eligible for survivor's benefits given the the amount of time gone by/circumstances. Social security's website says children are eligible for survivor's benefits if they're under 18, or up to 19 if enrolled full time in secondary school. I was a week past 18 at the time, but was enrolled full time as senior in high school at the time. For anything else that might be relevant to a claim my father was single at the time, and my sister far too old to make a claim. So given the circumstances am I still/was I ever eligible for anything?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Legal question, specifically related to Connecticut. If someone is denied release by the warden, and isn't eligible to apply for parole(sentenced to two years, can't apply unless sentence is at least two years and a day), and said person has a relatively clean prison sheet as well as having done near every program the prison has to offer, are there any resources available or are we basically poo poo out of luck unless the Warden has a change of heart.

*edit*
If it makes any difference to resources available, the person plead guilty to numerous crimes including felonies but none of them were violent crimes, but more importantly and the bigger issue is they have a child that's almost a year old and the kid is currently living a life of being shuffled around from relative to relative depending on who can watch him on any day.

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 13, 2011

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

So, is this legal, or is this "we're going to do it anyways, what are you going to do about it" type of thing.

About 6 months ago, my step father had to have some surgery done on his wrist. Insurance didn't cover all the appointments related to it and they owe tidy sum to an orthopedics office. Now my mother is unemployed, and my step father was on disability until 2 weeks ago when he went back to work. As such, they didn't pay any of the medical bills since they could barely afford the mortgage. Now, all of a sudden today, there's been over $800 taken out of their checking account by the orthopedic firm(well a collection agency for them anyways) which is far more than they even had in it, so they're negative several hundred dollars. The thing is no collection process had ever begun. They were served no papers, not threatened with anything, ect. Just woke up and there's all their money gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Connecticut specifically, though really it seems like something that isn't legal period in any state if they don't actually start any legal proceedings against you beforehand. That's all I know for now though.