Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

SnipeShow posted:

Canada: Can I be refused service for not leaving my backpack at the front of an unattended store?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Javid posted:

Oregon:

Bought a used car some months ago, was doing some work on it this week and discovered it had been in a massive collision at some point, and then more or less stapled back together. The mechanic said it should've been cubed at that point. Obviously, this was not disclosed to me at the time of sale. Are there laws governing this, and if so how would one go about filing suit? (Civil, criminal, small claims, what)

It was bought off the owner, not a dealer, if that matters.

FWIW in Canada the contract you'd probably be entitled to recission of the contract, and you'd be covered by consumer protection laws. Check consumer protection laws in your state; often they're broad enough to catch even "private" sales, and if they do, selling a car without disclosing it's been badly damaged is very likely deceptive practice giving rise to damages.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

kalonji posted:

Are you serious, signing up for a bank account using a fake name is fraud. Even if you never use the card or pick it up.

nope, unless they rely on the false information and use it to forward you credit, it;s not fraud, and they can't prove it. you have no idea what you're talking about.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

kalonji posted:

E: OP you should follow the sound legal advice on Something Awful forums, creating a fictitious identity to apply for a bank account to get free movie tickets is a great idea. They will never be able to prove it, you will not be charged or have to spend thousands of dollars defending yourself against serious criminal allegations.

This really is a comedy forum

yeah there's on-point case law that says what I'm sayin so unless you can point me to a better authority than "the rcmp website" keep on stampin your feet I'll keep on keepin' on

signing up for stuff under a false name is not a super great idea, but it's not fraud unless the false information is actually relied upon

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
keep in mind, he didn't get a bank account with this information, he got a scene card or points card, which anyone can get and where the only relevant material is a phone number and/or address. if he doesn't go sign up for a chequing account with the bank and just tells them to go away he's fine

anyways case is r v. winning, [1973] O.J. No. 461. it's 1973 from OCA and is still good law unless there's some kind of statute i'm not sure about which is entirely possible

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

NancyPants posted:

a checking account in the name of Santos L. Halper.

yeah don't do that

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Part of Everything posted:

I live in Ontario, Canada. I've been renting an apartment for the last 5 years. When I first signed the lease, it stated that utilities were all-inclusive, with no extenuating circumstances listed.

A couple days ago, all the tenants (including me) got a notice from the property manager saying that anyone who has installed an air conditioner (our own air conditioners, not ones provided by the building) will be charged a fee of $50 per each month that we have it running.

What I'm wondering is:

1) Since I'm a longtime tenant, and my original lease stated the unit was all-inclusive, can they legally charge me this fee?

2) Can they/do they have the right to evict me if I try to fight this?

What you described would contravene the residential tenancies act in my neck of the woods. I am not familiar with Ontario's, but I imagine it is functionally similar. I took a glance at it here. this would seem to apply to your case. There may be a residential tenancies office you can call at the government who can advise you, but just at a glance I don't think they have any right to demand the additional fee. Disputing the fee does not give them grounds to evict you; if it works there how it does here, they would send you a eviction notice for nonpayment of rent, you would send back a dispute letter, and then they would have to take you to provincial court or a residential tenancies dispute office to explain why they should get the additional money from you.

I do not live in Ontario and actually kind of hate it so take this all with a grain of salt

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The law on exclusion of "bad" evidence has changed significantly in like the last year in Canada. R v. Grant and R v. Harrison both deal with the exclusion of evidence obtained unconstitutionally and significantly broaden the admissibility of tainted evidence. The test is basically how badly the administration / repute of justice would be tarnished by the evidence being thrown out weighed against policy concerns and how egregious the police actions were.

On the facts as they were related in the thread earlier I would not bet on whatever was seized being excluded

joat mon posted:

questions

Don't answer this stuff

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 14, 2010

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Robawesome posted:

I again appreciate the response, and I wasn't trying to sound like I don't appreciate any (useful) advice that people post, whether it's what I want to hear or not. It just seemed like (Alchenar) was not contributing at all, only urging me to shut up because the crown prosecutors could be reading this very page, or somebody could connect some very vague dots.

No, they're right. There's no information we can give you besides what you already know now -- your friend needs a good lawyer yesterday. You can't give us any information that will help, and can very possibly offer information that will hurt your friend.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

SWATJester posted:

The question ends up being whether such a duty exists. It's not a slam dunk case, but it's one of the more direct ways of getting any kind of substantial money out of GM.

There's probably some kind of statutory implied warranty that goods will be fit for their intended purpose when sold in a consumer context

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 17, 2010

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
If your school has a law school there's probably a legal information clinic or three that may be able to help

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
"Consent" or "it wasn't actually a fight" or something similar gets argued all the time and is not really a successful defense. Two guys will get drunk and fight over a girl or something and smash up a bar, and then subsequently make up and act like it wasn't a problem. In my jurisdiction they'll just get charged with something else

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Biskies posted:

Ah yes, I get it. I guess I am rather dense sometimes.

I have been looking for a new job. There's just not much on the market for IP lately, unless I want to work in Docketing (blah) or Foreign Filing (which I suppose wouldn't be too bad).

Thanks for the advice.

I have no doubt at all the experiences you described were demeaning and awful, but you're very likely to be coming into an enormous windfall very soon, so there's that.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

PoOKiE! posted:

Thanks for that. It seems that is probably accurate. I think I found the "how" of serving papers and failed to check on "who" could serve because I figured since I wasn't represented that I would be included. It seems that sending certified mail is a valid way though, so I'll just do that next time.

I did get a response from the prosecutors in the mail but it wasn't certified mail, so I'm not sure what sort of guidelines they're following either.

So when you're confronted with the reality that you can't even do basic procedural stuff properly does it make you rethink your windmill tilting or is part of your pathology the ability to double down regardless

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Necessity is a common law defense that would probably apply in that case if it went down exactly as you described depending on how you're being charged it's probably not worth fighting though

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

PoOKiE! posted:

Example: I jaywalk and a car that I hadn't seen has to hit his brakes fairly quickly. He is angry so he parks his car somewhere and then pursues me and beats me up.

Also: If that red light camera caught both of you, it totally supports your story that you feared for your life and should mostly vindicate you from what happened. If you couldn't safely get away from him by pulling into the nearest parking lot or something because he would probably have assaulted you, then you legitimately feared for your life/safety.

The defence of necessity in most jurisdictions is narrowly defined and difficult to satisfy, there's no "should mostly vindicate" about his story. He needs a lawyer and you really need to stop giving advice about stuff you don't even have a good layman's grasp of

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Berbil Snatch posted:

I'm in Texas.

Two days ago my city had a record high rainfall and my 1 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment, which is on the ground floor, took on some water. My bedroom and closet were affected. I put in a maintenance request last night and today a technician came to my apartment to begin repairs. He cut some holes in the carpet and is running fans to dry the padding and carpet. It's thursday and the fans have to run until Monday.

Before he came and after I moved the contents of my bedroom into the living room,I snapped some pictures on my phone of the corner of my bedroom where the water was coming in. There is mud, worms, mold, and rotting carpet tack boards. Not to mention the unpleasant musty humid smell permeating from my bedroom.

My girlfriend had an unpleasant conversation with the apartment manager who denied our request to be moved to a new apartment, refused our request to have the rotting wood replaced, and told us if we didn't want to live in the apartment our only option was early termination which would cost $1,800.

My girlfriend and I live in the apartment with our one cat who we put down a pet deposit for. Her father is a cosigner. We're all three on the lease. We have no overdue rent or charges.

Can I break the lease without paying a fee? Do I need a lawyer to do that? Are they obligated to move me to a new apartment? Will a health inspector help me? Housing inspector? Can I make them pay for my electric bill since two industrial fans are plugged into my electrical outlets and will be running for four or five days?

Knowing nothing about Texas law, I would advise you to call the city. They either have inspectors, or can direct you to some sort of health / safety board to have someone come out and take a look at your place. In my jurisdiction, what you described would render a dwelling uninhabitable, and a landlord who refused to fix it would get some free sex from the government (and not the good kind). Call around. If the city can't help you out, you may have other remedies (ie: where I'm from, some common law re: contracts is preserved by statute, and you may be able to make an argument re: frustration or breach of implied warranty), but I'd try the city first.

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 10, 2010

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Robo Olga posted:

Do you mind posting a bit more information about this? We are going through a similar situation in California, in our case it is a problem with the circuit panel in the house. We have talked to the city building inspector and he advised us that he will have to shut off our electricity if the issue isn't fixed. The landlord is refusing to do anything so we are going to have to break the lease and leave. The landlord is threatening to keep our security deposit if we do.
In addition to the fire hazard with the panel there is also mold in the kitchen and a possible mouse infestation, it seems kind of crummy that the landlord could keep our security deposit when they are the ones refusing to do anything about the problems and we would stay in the house if we could. Maybe if they thought they could get in trouble with the city they would be more willing to return our money to us.

Well where I am, there's minimum health and safety standards for all dwellings intended for human use. There has to be a kitchen, there has to be power and water, there has to be a toilet, there has to be somewhere to wash, there can't be vermin, there can't be large amounts of mold or similar environmental hazards, etc. So if you're in a situation where your house has fallen below minimum health and safety standards and you rent, and your landlord isn't doing anything for you, you would call the city. They would come out, inspect the place, and then issue an order if the house does fall below minimum health & safety standards. If the landlord ignores this order, they get hosed. Health services doesn't play around.

HOWEVER, I'm in Canada, in a province that has relatively robust tenant rights. Your statutory rights and the capacity / willingness of the enforcement agencies responsible for the protection of those rights very likely differ from where I am. The other guy suggested the tenants' union -- if something like that exists where you are, that'd probably be a good start. Off the top of my head what's happening to you sounds illegal and unfair, but...

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Also I don't know why dudes are telling you he's "probably" judgement proof. If he's got a car, house, tools, or a bank account with anything in it he might have enough to execute against and go a fair distance towards satisfying any judgement. He's in the military so I guess no guarantee on that stuff, but it's not like you got stabbed up by a hobo or something.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Also McDonalds served it at 90C which is too hot to drink or really do anything with other than spill on yourself and cause skin-melting burns in literal seconds. And had settled literally hundreds of claims by people who had done exactly that. But bluh bluh trial lawyers sucking the life out of our honourable doctors etc

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

carlcarlson posted:

My friend currently works for a super awesome company, and is possibly going to receive an offer of employment from a client of her current employer. Her prospective employer would continue to do business with her current employer in the same capacity that they are now, so her current employer would not be losing any business if she was to take the job.

This is in Texas, and below is the non-compete that she signed when she was hired several years ago.

Would her current employer really be able to go after her for the amount of fees her prospective employer has paid over the last 12 months (several hundred thousand dollars)?

Aside from her specific circumstances, this non-compete looks completely one-sided and absurd, and I'm curious how legit any of the rest of it is.

The confidentiality agreement is fine. The common law regarding negative covenants like that is pretty restrictive here; I'm like 90% sure that wouldn't pass muster in my jurisdiction. Too punitive, too one sided, too ambiguous. Employment law varies hugely from place to place even within the same country though so: not legal advice, not intended to be relied upon, should not be relied upon

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I have no idea what the rules of court are. But here if you filed a reply, written in crayon, that said "I deny this claim. I don't owe them any money. gently caress them, gently caress this honourable court, gently caress this gay earth" there'd still have to be a mandatory settlement conference, after which there'd have to be at least one or two more hearings before they could even get judgement, after which they'd have to enforce the judgement. If you make any attempt at all to defend it, it'll probably be more expensive to get the money than it's worth for them.

However, if you do throw up a bunch of bullshit meritless roadblocks and they do get judgement, they can also get costs (where you have to pay their lawyer's fees), which would probably be well more than what the claim is worth. So ideally you want to make it hard enough that they settle, but not so hard that you get hit with costs.

See if maybe there's a local poverty law clinic, advocate, or student run clinic around that can help you out. This is the kind of poo poo they do all day every day. Whatever you do don't take my awful worthless and not legal advice.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

DuckConference posted:

Thanks for the link, it turns out I'm quite wrong. Both in that case and the Karroll v. Silver Star Mountain Resorts Ltd. case the reference, there is some pretty clear (at least in my opinion) negligence on the part of the operator but apparently the waiver still prevents any claims against the operator.

Liability waivers have some weight, but they're not bulletproof. A lot of different factors can be considered in determining whether they'll be a defence to a claim. If you're asking because you broke your leg skiing or whatever and are wondering if you can sue, you should talk to a lawyer. If you're asking out of general curiousity, the answer to whether a liability waiver can be a defence to a claim is "maybe".

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Without looking at any of the relevant statutes, regulations, or bylaws, I'd be extremely surprised if you could shoot bows within the city limits without any kind of permit or restriction

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Check whatever the appropriate consumer protection statutes are for the UK; contract common law in the area of consumer goods has been displaced for the most part by broad and generous consumer protection statutes in most places.

There's very likely a section of whatever the act is that requires goods to be merchantable or reasonably fit for the purpose for which they're sold. A computer breaking 5 times in a year and a half probably qualifies, but I don't really know.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
That's probably not the case, but I have absolutely no knowledge of the statute

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Yo if you're talking to a lawyer just collect as much information and evidence as you can and present it to him. Be thorough and detailed in recounting what you know, and he'll help you parse what is useful or not. To be honest a lot of the stuff you're saying is probably not relevant or helpful, but some of it might be. Not really a lot we can do to help you. Motor vehicle accidents are awful the same way most personal injury stuff is -- usually a little bumper contact isn't a huge deal, but sometimes you'll get a guy who's like blargh I was going to be a vetrinarian trauma surgeon lawyer astronaut but for the fact you ran into me and now I never can please give me a million billion dollars for my pain awooo

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah they're probably going to hang you. Sorry you had to find out like this.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

QuiteMad posted:

So, I'm a moron who didn't know anything about car insurance, and only had 5k worth of property damage insurance. I was driving in CA and was determined to be at fault for an accident (rear-ended a guy, who scratched a girl in front of him. My airbags deployed but nobody was hurt. My car was totaled (just fixed it, out of pocket). The car I hit has suddenly been totaled by their insurance (they apparently found frame damage) and that's 10k over my limit. I am in school and only have some savings. The insurance companies are haggling. How and when do they do asset discovery? What even counts as an asset (my newly fixed car?) Do I get in trouble for trying to pay my debts with my savings? I have not been sued yet, but I don't want to end up owing money I'll never have.

You could be really hosed. I would talk to a lawyer.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

terrorist ambulance posted:

You could be really hosed. I would talk to a lawyer.

Just to expand on this -- being uninsured or underinsured while driving, ever, is really stupid. I understand some places only do a really nominal amount of coverage, and that sucks because you live in a shithole, but the potential liability you incur while you're driving is really unbelievable.

If you nudged a guy riding his bike next to you and made him fall and break his arm, you could be liable for lost wages and some pain and suffering; probably covered by your 5,000$ or 25,000$ or whatever dipshit insurance you got just to be legal while you're driving. But if it turns out the guy you nudged was a surgeon, and now he can't operate any more because you broke his arm and it won't heal right, you could be liable for ending the career of a promising surgeon, and be responsible for paying the difference between his salary as a GP and his salary as a practicing neurosurgeon from now until the time he retires -- probably millions of dollars. Unless you sprang for the extra coverage, bend over and lube up, because you're owned.

It's like winning the lottery, except in reverse -- an improbable, sometimes exceedingly so, chance event sends you into absolute irrecoverable financial ruin.

Never drive uninsured or underinsured if you can help it at all

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
That's probably as winnable as an impaired case gets, your friend is still garbage for driving drunk, and you're garbage for defending her poo poo

tell her to shut up and pay up for a lawyer she'll probably be fine

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

porkfriedrice posted:

I'd love to hear about how you have never talked on your stupid loving cell phone while driving you piece of garbage.

I haven't, driving while impaired or distracted is loving stupid and negligent as hell and if you do it I hope when you die you don't take anyone with you

porkfriedrice posted:

I can't ask a legal question in the legal question thread without having to be poo poo on about drunk driving?

Apparently not

You got the answer you needed, why are you still crying about it

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

porkfriedrice posted:

Who's crying here? I was only responding to you whining about all the bad people in the world. If you aren't offering legal advice, why post?

No one in this thread is offering legal advice. You real dumb, chump

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I'd try to get someone to check or monitor your mail at least occasionally. If you're tough to get ahold of, it's entirely possible you could get served by sub service via regular mail or something silly and end up getting sued and losing your case because you were out of the country and didn't even know about it. That's an extreme (and unlikely) example, but basically your interests could be prejudiced by not checking your mail at all for months on end. Get it forwarded to your mom or something while you're out of the country

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Xenoborg posted:

Why is that, just wondering.

I set a trial date the other day for August 2013. When you're setting down dates a year in advance, who cares about adjourning for a week or two here or there

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I thought spoondick's first post looked a little pro se-crazyish, but let it go, and look how fast he unspooled

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Spoondick posted:

If a RO was filed by a layperson on behalf of a corporation, that's unlawful practice of law, right? Would that be grounds for dismissal? Also contempt, I would assume.

Quit while you're ahead son drat

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
You clearly have the means to at least consult with a lawyer, and understand that it would probably be a benefit to you to do so. Not sure what other answer you're looking for

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Wroughtirony posted:

Okay, here's an easier question, since nobody was able to weigh in on New Jersey car insurance laws.

I live in Virginia, the accident was in New Jersey. Can I get a lawyer here or do I have to find one based in NJ?

Conflict of laws is an annoying area of law, the questions you're asking don't lend themselves to being answered on an internet message board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Talk about an example of how not to draft