Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

karl fungus posted:

I'm probably going to go with the police route. I live near a precinct, so I can just walk there and find someone to talk to about this. Don't the police want evidence, though? I don't have anything concrete to give them.

I haven't asked her why she's creepily obsessed over hating me, because I don't want to stir up more conflict. I've maintained a strict wall of silence, even when she followed me downstairs just so that she could look through the garbage I had just thrown out.

Your remedies if any are very likely civil or through a residential tenancy board. What is it that you think the police will do for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

It's like you guys all skipped over the paragraph in my last post where I admitted you were right about my chances of legal action and was going to drop the issue.

No but you don't get it, man. My consciousness... it ended. How do I know I didn't die? How did I know I'm the same person that I was before they injected me against my will? Why wouldn't a court want to recognize my half-assed stoner philosophical objection to routine surgical procedure?

Next time get cut open without anesthetic if it was so damaging for you to be out for like an hour you big bitch

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

stupid poo poo from a stupid person

No one loving cares you idiot

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Thanks for your interesting and useful contribution to the legal questions megathread. Love the legal analysis. Where'd you go to law school?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

YancyQ posted:

Thanks for the help. I checked the county zoning map and they are zoned as a residency; which is weird because the building is totally a church. I'll submit a complaint with zoning that the property is being used as a live music venue and see what happens.

You're missing the point of this exercise. You find where they're non-compliant and threaten them with it, not turn them in right away

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Trials are a tremendous amount of preparation and work. 10,000$ for a not particularly complicated half day or one day trial is about what you'd expect with experienced counsel

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I'd be pretty surprised if you didn't have to sign a retainer that had his fees in it already.

Also, I don't know the facts of your case, but getting diversion / community hours probably took some work. I doubt you would have got that outcome on your own, especially seeing as how you can't go two sentences without writing how awful the cops are and what a miscarriage this all is. Prosecutors love that poo poo.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Pay your bill, do your community service, don't pick fights with the cops no more.

You hired a professional and got a good outcome because of his hard work, and you turn around and cry about how he bills his mileage

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Agesilaus posted:

EDIT: I mean, can these people seriously make in ten cases what I make in a year? I have had single days where I've done 10 hearings/trials (okay maybe that happened once, but 4 or 5 no-blow dui trials back to back is not rare at all).

A good, triable one day summary conviction trial is like 50 hours worth of prep work. You pay for defense counsel who had the time to get ready and then run roughshod over the prosecutor, who was running 10 hearings that day

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I wasn't talking DUI. Impaireds are high traffic (ha!) poo poo where the triable issues are the same like 90% of the time. That's why dudes can run trials for 1000$, because they're running the same trial most of the time

Agesilaus posted:

Is under half good or bad? I don't even know how they'd keep track of what each trial costs the state, because accurate statistics for the number of cases taken to trial don't exist.

If you sit down and try to figure out what the judge, prosecutor, court-appointed defence, court time, all the police investigation, state witnesses, community corrections, and the big daddy, jail time, cost the taxpayers for dudes stealing smokes and beating on the women that come back to them every other week, it gets kind of dizzying

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 4, 2012

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
If he's mistaken and his next appearance isn't to perfect the diversion but is instead to confirm he's done the community service and make submissions on further sentence he may quickly discover why you pay someone 250$/hr to be ready for these things

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Ashcans posted:

I was going to say, I am pretty sure this is something that just varies by firm and client. If you are working for some huge firm that does tons of work for big companies, you can probably bill them all sorts of things and they won't blink because their legal budget is a quadrillion dollars and your $20 meal isn't poo poo. But if you are in a tiny firm/solo working in family law and you try to bill your steak-and-strippers limo ride to some lower-middle income dude in his divorce, it's not going to fly.

Due to the nature of our work we work with both companies and individuals (immigration) and I've never had a company push back on expenses and half the time the way they have us submit them it isn't even clearly itemized. Whereas individuals will examine every thing and ask if they can translate their own documents or whatever to cut any cost.

Even for smaller firms with less sophisticated clients I don't totally see what the issue is. They probably wouldn't complain if you didn't charge by line (.03 cents/copy, 10$ food for working after six) and just charged a slightly higher hourly rate (260$/hr instead of 250$/hr).

And those kind of incidental, reasonable expenses are chump change compared to the real expenses. If a client is distressed about buying cheap chinese on your 14th hour on the office, I would like to be in the room when they find out how much it's going to be to have a doctor prepared for, and present at, trial

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
If will is being probated it's probably in a public court file. If you or one of your kids is a beneficiary you should be able to look at the will.

I also love the practiced indifference to money that can only come from people with lots of it in their family. "Could be a couple million dollars in trust for me? Ho hum, whatever, I suppose I'll make a post on the internet about it"

Call the executor or hire a lawyer to look into it for you

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I don't see how having an agent look at the court file or contact her for you to find out what / if anything your children are entitled to would require to deal with her

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

xxEightxx posted:

We new to add to the op, in addition to the landlord tenant and criminal issues FAQ, a section about how 'everyone else doing it' or 'they never ticket for these types of things before' not only is not a defense, but has the opposite of intended effect in that it requires you to admit you broke the law.

Also please add "my buddy's lawyer got them to drop his charge like nothing, why can't you"

edit: also that "impersonating the guy to nab his associates" is like the first thing cops do when they arrest a guy with 6 cellphones in his pockets, it's probably legal/constitutional

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Looking up all that reyalwhatever dude's posts in the thread and reading them all at once rules and is hilarious

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

baquerd posted:

On the other side of the coin so to speak, suppose you as a tenant are faced with a bill from a landlord detailing expenses that include reported damages on move-in. They then file a report to the credit agencies. What remedies are available for this fraudulent reporting?

Credit reporting statute where I'm from, also counterclaiming and applying for costs on whatever bullshit suit they bring, knowing they're so disorganized they're asking internet message boards for what "negligence" means and don't have a prayer of meeting their persuasive burden

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah and then next the justice system will accept the fact that people will falsely confess for all kinds of reasons, after which we'll dispose of testminonial demeanour as a method of judging credibility because it turns out people can lie convincingly while others can tell the truth so that it sounds like a lie, after which a unicorn ridden by Mila Kunis and Scarlett Johanson pulling a wagon of sex toys and lube will ride out of the sunset and carry me to Valhalla

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Basically nothing. Get default judgment or whatever, he's skipped town, is probably judgment proof, and even if he's not AND you manage to get a judgment, you're left trying to collect on 1000$. Give a sheriff's company a call, see if they're willing to seize some poo poo to sell on a 1,000$ judgment, tell me how hard they laugh at you.

Guard yourself better in the future, chalk it up as a learning experience

edit: also lol at "will they issue a warrant for failing to appear for a small claims matter". It takes a month's missed rent to turn you into a Dickensian villain hoping that all those that have slighted you will be arrested and/or jailed for their insolence

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 5, 2013

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
You can probably get an order for seizure & sale for a vehicle if you had a judgment. Look at your state's civil / small claims rules. I doubt anyone is going to enforce it for you though

vv There's probably some forms down at the local courthouse or online regarding small claims debtor remedies. Look into it a bit and then give up when you find what a pain in the rear end it is to garnish wages even if someone has a steady job and you know where they work vv

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 5, 2013

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Further, if I do take this to small claims, can he be compelled to provide where he banks, a list of assets, proof of ownership on the car, etc?

http://bit.ly/WkJQMg

http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/small

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I've been thinking of putting up "THIS MAN IS A PEDOPHILE" posters with his picture and link to his wonderful facebook page all around the venues he likes to play.

Cool, effective, and funny. Anything else you've considered doing

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
This man enticed me into slavery in contravention of my inherent personal god given jurisdiction as post-master general and has full and unlimited civil liability to my corporate person for 1 (ONE) WHOLE MONTH'S RENT AND THE TOTAL LIQUIDATED BOND VALUE ASSOCIATED WITH MY CERTIFICATE OF LIVE BIRTH CURRENTLY VALUED AT 1,000,000,000$ (ONE BILLION DOLLARS) if you see him please arrest w/ the power god gave to all neutral non-belligerents through his agent and steward, King Jesus Christ

ps by reading this you have accepted full good faith fiduciary duties to my natural, flesh and blood (NOT SOVEREIGN-GRANTED) person and self

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Why would you sleep on your rights for three weeks and then try to deal with it in a panick at the literal last minute

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Establishing "fault" -- wherein you get to call up a total stranger and ask how they feel about swearing an affidavit confirming they had sex with someone

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Don't withhold custody to your loving child over money.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
There's pieces in there that are legal issues, there's pieces in there that are issues where you and your ex need to just grow up, no one is going to be able to tell you what they are online. Borrow or beg some money, retain a lawyer, get them to help you. Give up on the fantasy that you are going to be able to muddle your way through this with some textbooks and piecemeal advice from Ask / Tell

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Exhibit #HighNumber in our multi-part series on how clients can't meaningfully assess the job their counsel does for them

Lawyer does her diligence on a simple conveyance, catches a mistake that should have already been noticed by the purchaser and the realtor, goes about fixing it, purchaser considers ditching her because she's not sufficiently belligerent about it

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Dunno what the provincial court system is like in ON, but in BC he could file basically anything in response to a notice of civil claim (IE: I don't owe nobody nothin, gently caress you, gently caress this gay court, I'm out) and the matter would progress to a mandatory settlement conference or mediation, and then a trial. A one or two hour small claims trial is currently booking in a year to a year and a half out at the busiest registries. Presuming you were successful at trial or settled it early, you would then need to attach a charge to his personal property or tools, garnish wages or other monies owable to him, or apply for an order of seizure and sale and pay a sheriff to take some of his poo poo to sell.

Assuming the best case scenario (ie: you can find and properly serve him, get default judgment, and he has some assets that can be garnished, seized, or charged -- which is a big if, the enforcement act in BC, for example, has carve-outs for tools, personal possessions, wages, and vehicles) you're looking at a couple months of work and a couple hundred bucks worth of fees. Worst case, he successfully defends the claim, or if not, drags it out for a year or two.

None of the foregoing is legal advice or intended to be relied upon, but you begin to see why people are telling you to consider whether it's an amount you want to pursue.

also button up the sass, if you don't want people telling you that you're dumb, access the free public resources that are easily googleable that will tell you the same things we've been telling you, and you won't have to publicly disclose and be made fun of for giving a bunch of cash to some guy you didn't know

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I called you dumb at the very end of my posts after detailing pretty thoroughly the procedural hurdles that make a 2 grand claim uneconomical, stop crying that people aren't being sufficiently helpful because you're not getting the answers you want

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Also some (most?) process serving companies offer skip trace and/or location services, which you probably know cause you've called them and found out it costs more than it'd be worth for 2,000$, and are looking for a different answer

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

EwokEntourage posted:

What are you selling? Just answer this question

Goods. With "enhanced privacy".

Just like Uber, we're disrupting the business practice of "keeping records" and "not dealing exclusively with money launderers"

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Thank goodness, you're stepping away from the one place where as a private citizen you can actually, reasonably expect to stop that steamroller if you choose. How bold!

Still laughing at this a day or whatever later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

ah of course, that's why they have "roo bars", that's where the compensatory beers must be obtained

why are you posting this dogshit