Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anonexpedient
Feb 23, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
When I was in junior high a friend and I basically got busted for some minor mischief. We both received misdemeanor offenses for, iirc, vandalism or something like that. It was basically a lot of bullshit dealing with angry power-tripping cops who liked to yell at 14 year olds for causing 200 dollars worth of damage to public property. So after it was all said and done, I just had to do some community service and was put on probation. I was also told that it could be expunged or sealed after I turned 18, but I'm unsure about the process and am reading conflicting statements online about some of this stuff

Most importantly, do I need to hire a lawyer for this? if so, how much should I expect to pay and where do you go about finding a decent lawyer who doesn't cost a lot?

Is a criminal record like this held on file both at state and federal bureaus? What I mean is, do I need to go through both state and federal bureaus to clear my record?

How will this affect my employment opportunities? I've just read that only I may view my criminal record, but government/public agencies may also view it if I apply for a government job or am arrested again. But, obviously, a criminal record can hurt your employment opportunities, so I'm assuming that's in reference to felony charges, not misdemeanors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonexpedient
Feb 23, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Solomon Grundy posted:

This sounds like a job for a consumer lawyer. Paging Sam Glover.

This is a total state-specific question. In my state, juvenile records are sealed automatically, and do not need to be formally expunged.

If your state does require some expungement proceeding for juvenile offenses, then yes, your best bet would be to find a lawyer. In my state, expungement (for adults) requires a motion and hearing, and the last one I did for about $600. If you have a local bar association, call them and ask for a referral to a criminal defense lawyer, who would be most likely to know how to accomplish your goal.

Any idea if the misdemeanor will show up on an employee criminal background record check if I apply to, say, a large corporation?